New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Help tracking down something

Help me forums for my google-fu has failed me!

I'm looking for the system or supplement that uses something called the 'supply die', where instead of tracking things like ammo and rations manually it's abstracted into a die roll. I think the size of the die shrinks as you use up your supply too?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Help tracking down something

If I remember correctly, Forbidden Lands from Free League has supply/resource dice that are rolled and decreased depending on certain circumstances.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Help me forums for my google-fu has failed me!

I'm looking for the system or supplement that uses something called the 'supply die', where instead of tracking things like ammo and rations manually it's abstracted into a die roll. I think the size of the die shrinks as you use up your supply too?
    It’s a reasonably common mechanic in wargames. In wargames it usually is rolling a “1” on an attack roll causes a “low on ammo” condition and to remove the condition you have to withdraw a certain distance away from the enemy or move within supply range of your supply wagon.
    Last edited by Pauly; 2023-01-26 at 03:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

D20 Modern had PCs make purchases by rolling against their wealth instead of tracking cash.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

The Alien RPG has a die roll mechanic for using anything that's battery powered, iirc, each time you use a powered object and it matters in the narrative, you roll a d6 to determine if you lose one point of power (1-5), if you roll higher than the current power remaining you don't lose a charge. Ammo though is largely ignored unless you panic or intentionally empty a magazine and it's measured in reloads.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

There's the "usage die" in the Black Hack, which sounds like what you're describing.

Any item listed in the equipment section that has a Usage die is considered a consumable, limited item. When that item is used the next Minute (turn) its Usage die is rolled. If the roll is 1-2 then the usage die is downgraded to the next lower die in the following chain:

d20 > d12 > d10 > d8 > d6 > d4

When you roll a 1-2 on a d4 the item is expended and the character has no more of it left.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atranen View Post
    There's the "usage die" in the Black Hack, which sounds like what you're describing.
    Huh, well there you go. Turns out I was on the right track.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika