New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: I Love Dragons

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

smile I Love Dragons

I love all types of dragons everywhere, especially in D&D games. Not only that but I love dragons in movies and TV shows as well. I like the dragon Smaug in The Hobbit. The reason why I love dragons so much is that they're powerful majestic creatures which also inspire me to write stories about dragons as well.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I Love Dragons

Quick, nobody mention Discworld's swamp dragons!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Or dragons from medieval legends. You know, the slimy, toxic creatures who live in earth holes and are about the size of a dog.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Or dragons from medieval legends. You know, the slimy, toxic creatures who live in earth holes and are about the size of a dog.
    Give them time and they grow absolutely massive. Consider the Lambton Worm.
    Or if you allow Viking dragons think just how large the Stoor Worm was.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

One of the things I love about cultural cross-pollination is the modern dragon. It takes the eastern tradition of the wise, powerful, and ageless sky dragons and combines it with the apocalyptic force of nature and reflection of humanity that inspired Tolkien and we get a lot of fun potential.

So we have Shadowrun dragons, which are just FUN living side-by-side in popular culture with the DnD "Many-headed mother" interpretation of Tiamat. You've got "dragons are cats" like in Dragonriders, grumpy Sean Connery, immortals that live alongside civilizations like Warcraft's Onyxia, ancient hermits that guide humanity or hoard wealth, and a whole bunch of other archetypes.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    One of the things I love about cultural cross-pollination is the modern dragon. It takes the eastern tradition of the wise, powerful, and ageless sky dragons and combines it with the apocalyptic force of nature and reflection of humanity that inspired Tolkien and we get a lot of fun potential.

So we have Shadowrun dragons, which are just FUN living side-by-side in popular culture with the DnD "Many-headed mother" interpretation of Tiamat. You've got "dragons are cats" like in Dragonriders, grumpy Sean Connery, immortals that live alongside civilizations like Warcraft's Onyxia, ancient hermits that guide humanity or hoard wealth, and a whole bunch of other archetypes.
    Yeah, I suspect a big reason I quite like dragons most of the time despite how overused they are is how varied they tend to be, especially in comparison to many other standard fantasy creatures (looking at you, elves and dwarves).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Yeah, I suspect a big reason I quite like dragons most of the time despite how overused they are is how varied they tend to be, especially in comparison to many other standard fantasy creatures (looking at you, elves and dwarves).
    Even bestial dragons are a nice throwback, although sometimes it goes a bit too far. I'm glad intelligent dragons are back in style because it makes those that aren't stand out.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Even bestial dragons are a nice throwback, although sometimes it goes a bit too far. I'm glad intelligent dragons are back in style because it makes those that aren't stand out.
    True. I quite like the dragon portrayal in Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon (and presumably the books as well, though I must admit I haven't read those), they're clearly pretty intelligent and obedient (if you're their chosen rider, at least) but also rather animalistic and not entirely controllable (with the season finale of House of the Dragon having a good but spoilery example of that).

10. - Top - End - #10

The book goes into that a bit more, at least via implied worldbuilding:

Spoiler
    Show
    It's mentioned repeatedly that the ancient Valyrians were masters of both blood magic (from their slaves) and fire magic (from the active volcanoes that Valyria was built on). Also a probable reason for Fire and Blood, the motto of House Targaryen. It is suggested that the Valyrians made the dragons with magic, perhaps from the native burrowing firewyrms of Valyria, or from wyverns and harpies. Or all of them. One of the implied reasons that dragons kept getting smaller and then eventually died out in the 300 years the Valyrians on Westeros had them was that some magical component, perhaps a blood sacrifice, was missing. Conveniently, Daenerys performs a blood/fire ritual with several sacrifices (her baby, Khal Drogo's favored horse, Mirri Maz Duur, the witch) to awaken her dragons.
    In the books, Daenerys also never manages to entirely control or ride the dragons. She gets them to spit fire on command and manages to climb on top of Drogon once, but then has no control over where he goes.
    There is however also a magical horn that the pirate captain Euron found in the ruins of Valyria (or claims he did), which is called Dragonbinder and is said to control dragons, but kills anyone who blows it by burning their lungs. And some Targaryens have Dragon Dreams, which sound a lot like the Wolf Dreams the Stark children have, so it might be that the Targaryens are actually warging into their dragons to some degree, like the Starks with wolves.

So there's definitely more going on with dragons than them just being animalistic beasts.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2023-01-30 at 07:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

And some Targaryens have Dragon Dreams, which sound a lot like the Wolf Dreams the Stark children have, so it might be that the Targaryens are actually warging into their dragons to some degree, like the Starks with wolves.
    Nah, the dragon dreams show the future, while warging just lets you slip into into your otherskin ans see/do what they're doing at the moment, those are different things. Hell, if I recall correctly, the Targs with dragon dreams usually don't even have a dragon. They just call them that because Targaryen.

But yeah, it's pretty clear the dragons are supernatural in this world, they come back when the rest of the magic stuff starts coming back to.

Another bunch of neat dragons are found in the Elder Scrolls series. I like that the one in Redguard is guarding a treasure, but it's not his. He's a loyal soldier of the Empire watching over the local Provincial Treasury, as per his orders.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #12

Mmm.

Still a shame that Oblivion did away with the Imperial Dragons. I was looking forward to going to the Imperial city and seeing the dragons roost in the white gold tower and swimming in the Niben, after playing Morrowind.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Mmm.

Still a shame that Oblivion did away with the Imperial Dragons. I was looking forward to going to the Imperial city and seeing the dragons roost in the white gold tower and swimming in the Niben, after playing Morrowind.
    True that.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #14

The book goes into that a bit more, at least via implied worldbuilding:

Spoiler
    Show
    It's mentioned repeatedly that the ancient Valyrians were masters of both blood magic (from their slaves) and fire magic (from the active volcanoes that Valyria was built on). Also a probable reason for Fire and Blood, the motto of House Targaryen. It is suggested that the Valyrians made the dragons with magic, perhaps from the native burrowing firewyrms of Valyria, or from wyverns and harpies. Or all of them. One of the implied reasons that dragons kept getting smaller and then eventually died out in the 300 years the Valyrians on Westeros had them was that some magical component, perhaps a blood sacrifice, was missing. Conveniently, Daenerys performs a blood/fire ritual with several sacrifices (her baby, Khal Drogo's favored horse, Mirri Maz Duur, the witch) to awaken her dragons.
    In the books, Daenerys also never manages to entirely control or ride the dragons. She gets them to spit fire on command and manages to climb on top of Drogon once, but then has no control over where he goes.
    There is however also a magical horn that the pirate captain Euron found in the ruins of Valyria (or claims he did), which is called Dragonbinder and is said to control dragons, but kills anyone who blows it by burning their lungs. And some Targaryens have Dragon Dreams, which sound a lot like the Wolf Dreams the Stark children have, so it might be that the Targaryens are actually warging into their dragons to some degree, like the Starks with wolves.

So there's definitely more going on with dragons than them just being animalistic beasts.
    I believe there's some sort of cycle of magic waxing and waning that could have trigger points (the comet, etc). It gives a lot of the setting more fun things to think about including why "The song of ice and fire" was important in the first place (dragon wargs), but it does bring me to a dragon trope I hate. "Oh no magic is dying so no more dragons". I dislike the premise generally of having settings where all the fun stuff has to go away. Especially since it seems that if you look into it it's sort of analogous to mankind not understanding they have an impact on the environment. I guess I have to blame Tolkien's "Middle-Earth is our Earth" decision for making it popular.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I believe there's some sort of cycle of magic waxing and waning that could have trigger points (the comet, etc). It gives a lot of the setting more fun things to think about including why "The song of ice and fire" was important in the first place (dragon wargs), but it does bring me to a dragon trope I hate. "Oh no magic is dying so no more dragons". I dislike the premise generally of having settings where all the fun stuff has to go away. Especially since it seems that if you look into it it's sort of analogous to mankind not understanding they have an impact on the environment. I guess I have to blame Tolkien's "Middle-Earth is our Earth" decision for making it popular.
    Hey, in ASOIAF it's coming back!

Edit: Although, the notion used to be better, more magical than currently (whenever that is), is way, way, way older than Tolkien.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2023-01-30 at 09:19 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I kind of like how The Dragon Prince does it, dragons are clearly intelligent and able to communicate, but don't learn the telepathy trick for quite a while. While there's problematic elements (Earthblood elves seemingly enslave young dragons, and at least two dragon me march's have tended towards being overly tyrannical*), it all kind of works out. There's even one great dragon with so much treasure that he refuses to accept any more as tribute

And of course they're the only ones to find Soren's gags funny

* How much so for Sol Regnum depends on if you take the RPG as 100% canon.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

If you believe the Maester conspiracy, it's not necessarily a magical cycle. Fans are wondering why the Andals don't have magic of their own, anyway. The entire church of the Seven is weird in that context. The Andals and especially their Maesters just removing anyone with magic from Westeros could be an answer to that. No more dragons, no more greenseers, wargs or prophets. The magic didn't go away on its own, it was killed off.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Hey, in ASOIAF it's coming back!

Edit: Although, the notion used to be better, more magical than currently (whenever that is), is way, way, way older than Tolkien.
    Although we have the specter of the last book (funny joke) breaking the cycle after whatever form the longest night takes.
    Yah, it is older, but I believe it's Tolkien that gave it it's current form and popularity, like the common depiction of elves as they are and not the quite literally eldritch jerks they generally are in folklore.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If you believe the Maester conspiracy, it's not necessarily a magical cycle. Fans are wondering why the Andals don't have magic of their own, anyway. The entire church of the Seven is weird in that context. The Andals and especially their Maesters just removing anyone with magic from Westeros could be an answer to that. No more dragons, no more greenseers, wargs or prophets. The magic didn't go away on its own, it was killed off.
    The Maester conspiracy doesn't explain everything, as the Pyromancers (the one Andal magical order we know of) report greater efficiency in their wildfire-making spells, likewise the magicians in Essos have been doing better and better lately.
    Although we have the specter of the last book (funny joke) breaking the cycle after whatever form the longest night takes.
    Yah, it is older, but I believe it's Tolkien that gave it it's current form and popularity, like the common depiction of elves as they are and not the quite literally eldritch jerks they generally are in folklore.
    Fair.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Dragons ate great. I'm particularly fond of settings that let them be independent from people; the whole dragon bonded to its rider thing just irritates me. It's such a small, egocentric piece of imagination, like you can imagine this fantastic world full of great beasts and magic and adventure, and you turn it into a prop for the main character's ego. Just sad.

Which isn't to say I object to people riding dragons. That's great, but dragons are better than people, so let's get things right here. The giant incendiary flying hexapod reptile with the thousand year lifespan is doing the squishy monkey a favor.

This is why Tanith Lee's After I Killed Her is such a fantastic dragon story, it places the value on the dragon explicitly because it isn't human. And that's not even an intelligent dragon.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Dragons ate great.
    Well, I am debating on whether to have a chimichanga for lunch...
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-01-30 at 12:05 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Dragons are wonderfully majestic creatures. My favorite D&D dragon deity is Hlal because she's funny and enjoys playing pranks on everyone.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, I am debating on whether to have a chimichanga for lunch...
    I thought dragons loved tacos?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I thought dragons loved tacos?
    I'm all about al pastor tacos, don't get me wrong. And lengua burritos.

But the most convenient place to my work does not have those as options.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-01-30 at 01:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

From now on, my personal headcanon will be that dragons breath fire thanks to their love of spicy food.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    From now on, my personal headcanon will be that dragons breath fire thanks to their love of spicy food.
    So is frost due to brain freeze?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    So is frost due to brain freeze?
    I do love rainbow sherbet....

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

White dragons can handle frozen foods and they're immune to brain freeze.