New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Reverse engineering an enchantment...

Hey all...

In our current campaign there is a massively infectious disease running loose in our city. The badguys have a mask that bears an enchantment that gives them immunity to that specific disease. Our party has captured several of these masks.

My question is, what would be needed to replicate this enchantment, and what would it cost?

Our party includes a wizard, a magus, a sorceror, a paladin and a shaman. We also have the willing cooperation of a major temple.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Reverse engineering an enchantment...

Quote Originally Posted by aglondier View Post
    Hey all...

In our current campaign there is a massively infectious disease running loose in our city. The badguys have a mask that bears an enchantment that gives them immunity to that specific disease. Our party has captured several of these masks.

My question is, what would be needed to replicate this enchantment, and what would it cost?

Our party includes a wizard, a magus, a sorceror, a paladin and a shaman. We also have the willing cooperation of a major temple.
    While my PF knowledge is very limited, I can at least give you a 3.5 based solution that might work for you:

Use the spell "Deep Breath" (Spell Compendium; 1st lvl spell) and make a custom item with 1-3 daily uses or something. Shouldn't be to expensive.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

From the magic item creation rules:
    > Spell Effect (use-activated or continuous): Spell Level x Caster Level x Duration Multiplier (4 if duration in rounds, 2 if in minutes, 1.5 if in tens of minutes, 0.5 if in days) x 2000gp

From the cleric (and six other classes') spell list: Delay Disease. Its duration is 1 day, its spell level is 2 (and thus its minimum CL is 3), and if it's on a mask it will avoid the x2 Slotless Item cost by occupying the Eyes item slot. Thus its final cost would be 6kgp--unless you can craft it as a Witch, who gets it as a level 1 spell for some reason, knocking the cost down to 1kgp. Perhaps finding a cooperative Witch would be a good plot hook to ask of your DM for the sake of that sweet sweet 83% price discount.

Do note also that these are selling prices--the crafting prices would be 3k/0.5k, respectively. Presumably it'd also require either Craft Magic Arms and Armor (a mask is helmet-adjacent) or Craft Wondrous Item to craft.

You could also argue that, if it's immunity to just this one disease, it could benefit from the same cost reduction (30%, as listed under "Other Considerations" beneath the creation rules' price estimation table) as if it required a specific class/alignment to use. However, RAW is silent on the matter and thus your DM has final say.

Also note that Delay Disease is, well, a delay, and triggers a save when the effect ends. Presumably the villains have a decontamination chamber stacked with items of +X Fortitude and/or Remove Disease to cover for accidents.
    Last edited by Mlmiii; 2023-01-31 at 05:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If this is the storyline I think it is, im pretty sure those magic items have a listed enchantment cost, but I dont know if your DM is purposefully withholding that info from you for story purposes, because theres more to said items, so thats all I’ll say.

If your DM genuinely wasnt aware though, the market value/crafting costs are in the book. But if he did know, then the answer is more likely found in game rather than on a forum
    Last edited by Crake; 2023-01-31 at 08:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I'm assuming you're running curse of the crimson throne. Plague doctors mask... they are a minor part of the story though they may seem insurmountable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyxur View Post
    I'm assuming you're running curse of the crimson throne. Plague doctors mask... they are a minor part of the story though they may seem insurmountable.
    Yes. We've been fighting that bunch for a while, it would have been nice to have the advantage of immunity to the disease that they enjoyed, especially considering the number of times a party member fell sick with it.

Unfortunately, the pacing of the AP has left us with little or no time for item crafting...
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

When I ran it yeah downtime was an issue. My players just took the danger of being seen in plague doctors masks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Some of my players wore the masks and ignored the death sentence it brought. Others just bought a wand of remove disease.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyxur View Post
    Some of my players wore the masks and ignored the death sentence it brought. Others just bought a wand of remove disease.
    Just buy a hat of disguise to hide the mask
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.