New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Gatekeeper (5e)

PEACH, or as I learned, please examine and critique honestly!

The Gatekeeper as my original post during the recent 5e base class contest, Death Itself.

I would like to discuss some of my overall design goals for this class as well as more of my ideas for future expansion, which I will address in more detail over time. Below is some evaluation and critique that I have already responded to, though I have yet to make any edits.

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Much appreciated to kind words within! I will quote these things in the future as I intend to polish the class up later.

Spoiler: Response to validation
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    3rd, the Gatekeeper: While it could use a little bit of formatting, adding the size of the Soul Touch as a sidebar to the class table to make its scaling a little clearer and easier to reference would be welcome, the mechanics for this one seem to be rather intuitive. A full build would take some planning to ensure you know what you're able to do, but the abilities all feel like they should work together and will be functional. I feel like a few of the class's abilities should cost more than 1 soul essence (the reviving one in particular), but that pool is limited enough that I can understand why a universal cost of 1 essence was implemented. Fluff wise, being the gates of death themselves was a unique choice for sure, though I'm not sure it was used to its fullest (specifically, I think it would have been neat if the subclasses were also somewhat associated with one of the afterlives, but that's just me). The descriptions and the poems are -*Checks his own class*- always going to get extra points from me.
    Ah, so I was looking over the table several times knowing that I wanted to add something different. I couldn't for the life of me recall what it was, but you nailed it. Thanks for reminding me!

As far as the full build, you're absolutely right on kind of planning it out. However I was hoping that the concept of withholding a soul's effects it had on you would allow for adjustment if you chose to release the soul with the ability to swap out augments upon leveling.

I love the flavor. Sometimes I need to write out the flavor for what I'm trying to accomplish before I can actually focus on the abilities. I'll keep all of this in mind, especially the note of your be-the-gate statement as I debate moving it to its own thread entirely for balance and other adjustments in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    1. The Gatekeeper. Looking at that no-save damage on Soul Touch, I was really expecting the damage to be way off. But after a little estimation, it seems to be remarkably consistent after level 5, allowing for competitive damage while still opening up power budget for other stuff like aoe / applying riders / etc:
    Spoiler: graph
    Show

There are a couple places that need power level adjustment, like Purgatory's Restrain and Descended's Omen of the Fallen, but they're implemented in a way that I could make substitutions while still letting my players feel cool. One thing I would have loved more of is cool / weird death-themed utility. But still, this class SCREAMS its theme, from the early magic jar effect to straight-up shoving people into the river styx.
    I genuinely appreciate you checking out the damage on Soul Touch. I ran some numbers compared to several other sources to determine the balance, taking into account the riders as you mention. I also took note of several other damage spikes (like Empower and Mantle) to discover how that matched against other common class' level appropriate options. If built for it, this can match nearly anything in terms of damage, but it can't crit and it's still limited by classic resource management (especially if you want to account for other valuable class features).

I mentioned above, I will take note of these words as I intend to move this into its own thread in the future for improvement. I'm really glad you noticed and enjoy the themes I attempted to portray!
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Gatekeeper (5e)

Saving this post for additional information (as expansion will present itself)!
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread