New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers part 4: the doom that is to come

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Worst comes to worst we can press-gang the urchins
    I thought you were going full-on Fagin with them anyway...

Brute labour is fine, but IRC Age of Sail rule of thumb is:

1/3 Able Seamen (more than two years experience)

1/3 Ordinary (less than two years experience)

1/3 Landmen

As for us:

Wighard and Siobhan can channel the magic so wind and current go where we want
    - Kwolf might be persuaded to pretend to be a parrot

Bertelis and Bruno can Navigate and do Sea Shanties - and Bruno has Consume Alcohol covered

Meloth can Navigate and also tell Tall Tales

Regine can climb stuff

Jasmine is the only one who knows how a ship works and what rope does what - she is going to be doing a lot of teaching

I did have the idea of offering it to the church of Manaan if they provide a crew (giving it to the Duke of Bourdeleaux might not be politic right now)

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Should also point out that whilst the ship can ride out the worst storms without issue; no such protection extends to anybody aboard it.

Like from seasickness; being cold, wet and miserable; not being able to cook food or being washed overboard.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine can be your private intelligence officer on the ship and enforcer. With her skills, you'll know everything that's going on among the men and potential mutinies will be "neutralised" before they even gain traction.

She can also run the games/numbers on the ship that keeps the men entertained (and spending their money).

With her career trajectory as well she'll be an outstanding sharpshooter.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-05-26 at 09:37 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #934
    Troll in the Playground

Marking off 20gc for the flags and 1gc for the limner and other sundries

5. - Top - End - #935
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Should also point out that whilst the ship can ride out the worst storms without issue; no such protection extends to anybody aboard it.

Like from seasickness; being cold, wet and miserable; not being able to cook food or being washed overboard.
    No, we shouldn't point that out as it might discourage them from signing up! Probably need a crew of about 20-30 or so. Urchins, the Q dudes, and the PC and NPCs are getting us pretty close to that.
    Last edited by dojango; 2023-05-26 at 09:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Troll in the Playground

Aye aye Capn Jasmine

I'm pointing that out for us - so we don't get too confident

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

Well Citoyen Bertelis has renounced his parasitic existence and embraced the church of Manaan to earn an honest living as a sailor - so maybe they send a mentor along with him and this is his training

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Worst comes to worst we can press-gang the urchins
    Jasmine Solve a Problem Without using Orphans Challenge: Impossible >:)

Also… Bertelis’s Seneshal? This irrepressible scamp…

Also Wighard, all good. I appreciate your writing and thoroughness. I might just be a patriot for my Bretonni.

I would suggest we have Wighard and Bertelis start collecting miniatures for sand table battles but we definitely cannot afford it.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe then we keep title, but hand it over to that motley crew to be the trading vessel for Saulx and La Discutable Nouvelle and its on call if we need it

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Jasmine Solve a Problem Without using Orphans Challenge: Impossible >:)

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I’m about to go to sleep but the Quinsberry team are not likely to go with! Just Bully, to carry Jasmine’s rifle and reload for her (and to do general man-Friday work). The others are bugging out of L’Anguille; perhaps they will turn up again, but they are heading out by their own clandestine avenues.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-05-26 at 09:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That 3,000gc rifle is real shiny...
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

It is cartoonishly overpriced but that’s how Best quality works in this system!

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I’m about to go to sleep but the Quinsberry team are not likely to go with! Just Bully, to carry Jasmine’s rifle and reload for her (and to do general man-Friday work). The others are bugging out of L’Anguille; perhaps they will turn up again, but they are heading out by their own clandestine avenues.
    They said they wanted to go to Mousillon so Jasmine thinks they're bribing her to get a spot in Bert's new fief.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hey Bramble, how much money was there in the captains pouch that Regine swiped?

16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground

call it the equivelant of 20 GC

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

20gc?!

Holy fu - [expletives redacted].

Ahem, yes, very good, thank you Mr GM. I guess that's why she's a Master Thief lol.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-05-26 at 12:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

T
    Furthermore, I think we have good reason to hope the merchant cartels have overplayed their hand. It's one thing to expect the burghers in L'Anguille to agree that the Duke is distant and the loyalty they owe him is questionable; it's another thing to expect those same burghers to settle in and endure a seige for any length of time. Even with mercenary captains and merchant negotiators pointing at graphs and explaining how financially ruinous it will be for the crown if the kingdom try to sustain this for years on end, I am not convinced this will be more compelling to the L'anguillians, the sailors, the fishermen, the able seamen, than the trebuchets flinging stones into the city from the hills, and seeing rows of their countrymen arrayed on the hills around them.

This is without considering that the peasants have their own rebellion plan that does not involve being ruled over by caviar-snorting fatcats. The merchants may very quickly that their example of defiant to the crown is inspiring to mobs of urban herrimaults who beleive in the total liquidation of the merchant class.
    I don't disagree with you on this.

Their best hope is to be let go without a fight and if there is a conflict they will lose control of their revolution

Their worst case scenario is for the revolution to get extreme and bloody and for trade flow to be permanently redirected (like say by diverting the Sannez...)

A wargame has only shown that there isn't a pure military solution (of course pure military solutions are what most Bretonnian nobles think of)
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-05-26 at 01:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

They said they wanted to go to Mousillon so Jasmine thinks they're bribing her to get a spot in Bert's new fief.
    She is too humble to believe they really want her as a halfling folk hero raising awareness of halflings in Bretonnia, huh? :). Well, either way; she can have herself a gun and gun caddy.

Jasmine has for a while been without a real bite of the “cool treasure” cookie; no magic swords or full plate or wands or gromril helms; just brief ownership of an extremely sketchy jezzail. Hopefully she’ll have better luck hitting with a freshly gun, too.

I don't disagree with you on this.

Their best hope is to be let go without a fight and if there is a conflict they will lose control of their revolution

Their worst case scenario is for the revolution to get extreme and bloody and for trade flow to be permanently redirected (like say by diverting the Sannez...)

A wargame has only shown that there isn't a pure military solution (of course pure military solutions are what most Bretonnian nobles think of)
    Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out; but unless they call all banners to war, Bertelis is unlikely to be there to find out directly!

Oh, I almost forgot - the L’anguillians might not appreciate the value of allies. Karl Franz owes Louen Leoncour big time right now because Bretonnia rode out to lift the siege of middenheim. It would be ironic for Louen to make his blockade more possible by adding the Altdorf fleet to the recipe. Perhaps in exchange for relinquishing claim on the Wasteland..?

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'll do my perception check in here, as I'm not sure what it's for: (1d100)[14] vs 69

EDIT: I don't know what I see and/or hear, but I guess I will see and/or hear it.
    Last edited by farothel; 2023-05-26 at 07:33 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Perception check: (1d100)[97] vs TN 67

String of good rolls had to end eventually, I guess.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-05-26 at 10:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

There's a bit of an inconsistency; Bramble has him say 'Miss Featherbottom' while MrAbdiel has him say 'Mrs Featherblossom' which is funny because I was just going to have Jasmine give him a dressing-down for getting it incorrect on his first line of dialogue! Whichever is canon doesn't matter so much, it just colors the interaction differently.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Troll in the Playground

I think I've been doing Featherbottom so I apologise for Wighard's inadvertent microaggressions

I don't think her being married has ever come up before and we aren't sure whether to believer her or not

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

There's a bit of an inconsistency; Bramble has him say 'Miss Featherbottom' while MrAbdiel has him say 'Mrs Featherblossom' which is funny because I was just going to have Jasmine give him a dressing-down for getting it incorrect on his first line of dialogue! Whichever is canon doesn't matter so much, it just colors the interaction differently.
    How about we split the difference and he will be sure he said “Featherblossom” but infact said “Featherbottom”?

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard on himself in the new morning

(1d100)[3] Heal 86
    (1d10)[4]

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think I've been doing Featherbottom so I apologise for Wighard's inadvertent microaggressions

I don't think her being married has ever come up before and we aren't sure whether to believer her or not
    Honestly I didn't notice until MrAbdiel pointed it out, they look very similar. Also going to roll to convince orphans to join our crew. I feel somewhat responsible for them, having conjured them out of thin air, and they may come to a bad end left in the revolutionary city. (1d100)[25] charm.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

You know when Wighard explained the concept of a Liveship and that their abilities frequently enabled people to get themselves into a lot of trouble in various variations upon the theme of "Doomed Voyage" that was not intended to be adopted as a template...

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ooh boy, all aboard the orphan and refugee ship, sailing out into some of the most dangerous waters in the old world; what could possibly go wrong? lol. I still think we can nab our Couronnan captain and some of his lads, that might be enough.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Troll in the Playground

Ooh boy, all aboard the orphan and refugee ship, sailing out into some of the most dangerous waters in the old world; what could possibly go wrong? lol. I still think we can nab our Couronnan captain and some of his lads, that might be enough.
    is that what your planning on doing?

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

We are on kinda floating timeline here, but pretty much everyone except Jasmine could come with Wighard because she isn't showing up until after the Lodge meeting and everyone else has the opportunity to get aboard

++++++++++++++

He'd like to take Meloth because it is Elven construction he is checking out first and I think anyone else might be available - like say Regine?

Bertelis might be busy doing Manaan stuff however