New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default An extradimensional space [item] within an extradimensional space [item]?

Has anyone ever seen this happen in a game? By accident? On purpose? how did it play out?

For example, when you place a bag of holding in another extradimensional space:
    Placing a bag of holding inside an extradimensional space created by a Heward's handy haversack, portable hole, or similar item instantly destroys both items and opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The gate originates where the one item was placed inside the other. Any creature within 10 feet of the gate is sucked through it to a random location on the Astral Plane. The gate then closes. The gate is one-way only and can't be reopened.
    EDIT #1: To add that it is for specific items.

EDIT#2: Has anyone seen anyone nest extradimensional items and create the Astral gate? By accident or design?

EDIT#3: I've never seen anyone do it. Only talk about it.
    Last edited by Necrosnoop110; 2023-01-30 at 04:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: An extradimensional space within an extradimensional space?

It's mostly a legacy feature to prevent Chinese nesting doll storage tactics.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

As a note, this is not a general property of extradimensional spaces. It's a specific property of specific items that create extradimensional spaces. So bring your bag of holding into the tardis, no issues.

Not sure that matters much, but yes, I agree that this is the legacy of an attempt to prevent infinite storage by nesting "bigger on the inside" containers.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    As a note, this is not a general property of extradimensional spaces. It's a specific property of specific items that create extradimensional spaces. So bring your bag of holding into the tardis, no issues.

Not sure that matters much, but yes, I agree that this is the legacy of an attempt to prevent infinite storage by nesting "bigger on the inside" containers.
    You are correct. Sorry for the sloppy title and phrasing.

What I was trying to ask was: Has anyone seen anyone nest extradimensional items with the proper clauses and create the Astral gate? By accident or design?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosnoop110 View Post
    You are correct. Sorry for the sloppy title and phrasing.

What I was trying to ask was: Has anyone seen anyone nest extradimensional items with the proper clauses and create the Astral gate? By accident or design?
    Eh. Mostly a meme tactic in my experience. I've seen it done 3 maybe 4 times in all my days across all the system that have something like this.

6. - Top - End - #6

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: An extradimensional space [item] within an extradimensional space [item]?

Used it in an one-shot. Otherwise, the bag of holding and similar items are just too useful and hard to replace to waste that way.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2023-01-30 at 05:54 PM.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: An extradimensional space [item] within an extradimensional space [item]?

Any table with two artificers has to plan for this: they can each create one free bag of holding a day, and any artificer can create a homunculus to trigger the effect safely.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Any table with two artificers has to plan for this: they can each create one free bag of holding a day, and any artificer can create a homunculus to trigger the effect safely.
    Don't really need 2 due to the rules for replicate magic item overrides the usual limit of one of each type of infusion. Silly outside of a joke one shot though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

If you want to get to the Astral plane at a lower level, it might be one of the cheaper and more reliable ways to do it.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

as i understand it, all that matters is whether or not it's the SAME extradimentional space.

So bag of holding inside a bag of holding = Completely fine, no consequence.

Portable hole inside of a portable hole = Completely fine, no consequence.

Portable hole inside of a bag of holding = Big destructive implosion.

Bag of holding inside of a portable hole = Big destructive explosion.

so it really depends on the specifics i think. Hasn't come up too often in my games, though i did play a character once who had to leave her bag of holding with someone else when she hid inside a portable hole for awhile. that's about it.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I've never seen it done in ~30 years of D&D. It seems folks want to keep the items more than they want a 1-way trip to a random location on the Astral. I've DMd some finales where I thought doing so would be an easy way to eliminate the BBEG, but the group wanted the items.

I guess converting permanent magic items to consumables is a difficult mental bridge to cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    as i understand it, all that matters is whether or not it's the SAME extradimentional space.

so it really depends on the specifics i think. Hasn't come up too often in my games, though i did play a character once who had to leave her bag of holding with someone else when she hid inside a portable hole for awhile. that's about it.
    That's how I interpret RAW, but I'd prob expand the "... or similar item" clause to include the same item to eliminate shenanigans.
    Last edited by JonBeowulf; 2023-01-31 at 12:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post

If the EDS formed by any bag of holding is the same as that of any other bag of holding, you could reach into one bag and pull out something stored in a different bag.

Each individual specimen creates its own, independent EDS and thus will rupture when placed in any other EDS. At least I can't read the default any other way.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

13. - Top - End - #13

I remember seeing silly design blueprints for a "black hole arrow" long ago. An arrow tipped with a bag of holding held in place by weaker materials and a portable hole wound around the arrow's shaft. Weaker materials snap on impact and the shaft flies into the bag.

I've always assumed it was just one of those silly joke things people did to poke fun at rules and come up with absurd inventions, and not something people actually tried to do in game though.
    Last edited by OvisCaedo; 2023-01-31 at 12:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    I remember seeing silly design blueprints for a "black hole arrow" long ago. An arrow tipped with a bag of holding held in place by weaker materials and a portable hole wound around the arrow's shaft. Weaker materials snap on impact and the shaft flies into the bag.

I've always assumed it was just one of those silly joke things people did to poke fun at rules and come up with absurd inventions, and not something people actually tried to do in game though.
    Arrowhead of Total Destruction

15. - Top - End - #15

Ahhh, it was the other way around? I see!

16. - Top - End - #16

An artificer (or two, if the DM can't be swayed on taking Replicate Magic Item: Bag of Holding twice) using this trick is actually both legitimate and very threatening. Yes, it sounds like a meme, but against any opponent without planar traveling abilities you can just send in a familiar or homunculus or whatever and instantly end a fight. No saves, no attacks, no nothing, if the bag carrier gets to the target it's over. I've done it and you might actually see it suggested here and there in guides or tips and tricks.

There are three primary issues with that trick though. First, better make sure everyone's OK with not looting the enemy, because sending the Knight of the Bloodthirsty Axe to the Astral Plane means you don't get to loot their axe. And second, it's highly likely that DMs will do their darndest to prevent it after it happens once, if they don't outright ban it. And third, you do run the risk of people staring at you in disappointment and/or irritation for turning a potentially fun fight into a joke.

Shines in oneshots, as long as the rest of the party isn't liable to have issue 3.

Use wisely.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2023-01-31 at 12:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    If the EDS formed by any bag of holding is the same as that of any other bag of holding, you could reach into one bag and pull out something stored in a different bag.

Each individual specimen creates its own, independent EDS and thus will rupture when placed in any other EDS. At least I can't read the default any other way.

I think they get around this by having the interior bag of holding become innert while inside of another bag of holding. So you'd need to pull it out into the material world in order to access it's contents.

That said, i do like the concept of them all sharing the same EDS, they're just all very far away from another, or bags can identify which items were or were not placed inside them. Opens up a neat idea of someone being trapped in a bag of holding, and drifting around from location to location, surviving off of resources and supplies deposited by other people into different bags of holding.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2023-01-31 at 12:59 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Added complication - is a Genielock Vessel a "similar item?"

(need answer quickly )
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post

(need answer quickly )
    Yes, it is.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post

(need answer quickly )
    Indeed.

Genie Warlocks have to check their pockets to make sure they don't enter with Bags of Holding.