New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default What monsters cause earthquakes?

Ultimately, this about me trying to figure out what the monster in the darkness might be.

Basically, the scene where Monster-san creates fissures in the Earth looks like like the Clr/Drd 8/Earth domain 7 spell Earthquake, but that particular spell is actually very rare among published DnD monsters. When I asked about it on the actual MitD thread, we weren’t able to find very many good candidates.

But nothing says MitD has to have been something created or already written up for DnD 3.5.

So my question is: what monsters/folktale creatures do you know of that are iconic and known for causing Earthquakes?
    I consider myself an author first, a GM second and a player third.

The three skill-sets are only tangentially related.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: What monsters cause earthquakes?

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfFools View Post
    So my question is: what monsters/folktale creatures do you know of that are iconic and known for causing Earthquakes?
    Limiting to myth/folktale pretty much limits the answer to dragons and kaiju.

There are myths of bound individuals shaking the earth with their struggles, but they are liable to fall under the "no real world religion" discussion ban for these forums so I don't think we can list them, sorry .

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know of any specific examples, but it might be a good idea to look into the folklore of places that have had a lot of earthquakes historically. It seems likely that people regularly experiencing them would've come up with creatures to blame for it (if they didn't just go for the all purpose "blame it on the gods").

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

A mouse, according Aesop.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Limiting to myth/folktale pretty much limits the answer to dragons and kaiju.

There are myths of bound individuals shaking the earth with their struggles, but they are liable to fall under the "no real world religion" discussion ban for these forums so I don't think we can list them, sorry .
    I’m not?

I’m actively interested in monsters from TTRPGS that cause earthquakes. I’m just also interested in folklore that might inspire such monsters, or even popular fictional creatures that do so.

I’m just more interested in famous/iconic examples than obscure ones, regardless of source.
    I consider myself an author first, a GM second and a player third.

The three skill-sets are only tangentially related.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Chthonians & Lloigors from the Cthulhu mythos can both do that, but I think mostly because they are supposed to be massive

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ultimately, this about me trying to figure out what the monster in the darkness might be.
    You're probably best served by participating in this thread then.

The earthquake debate is one of the bigger points of contention from what I was reading last time I checked on it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    You're probably best served by participating in this thread then.
    *snip*
    When I asked about it on the actual MitD thread, we weren’t able to find very many good candidates.
    *snip*
    He did.

I'm afraid I've not had any new ideas for the Creature in the Darkness in a while.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I missed that bit; my bad. Unfortunately, earthquakes are such a common miracle and/or disaster for mythical creatures that it's difficult to narrow down. Everything above a certain size (eg. dragons, giants) is said to cause earthquakes with their movements, for instance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I don't know of any specific examples, but it might be a good idea to look into the folklore of places that have had a lot of earthquakes historically. It seems likely that people regularly experiencing them would've come up with creatures to blame for it (if they didn't just go for the all purpose "blame it on the gods").
    Immature Draknors trying to reach maturity.
    (Dungeon Magazine #24. Thunder under Needlespire.)
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -