New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: How to Modify Base Attack Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Keep all of your high level gear, reduce yourself down to level 3, then start offing big rats for lots of XP!
    Not a bad idea, but for the fact that the creatures giving you negative levels are still alive and you've taken a whole bunch of other negative effects besides what's written in the negative level status text.
    Last edited by pabelfly; 2023-02-03 at 08:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    If one wants to abuse something, I say they need to take that abuse all the way instead of picking and choosing. Buuuut, that's just an opinion. Gaining 2 BAB AND another +2 competence bonus, 2d10s, 2d10 temp HP, up to +2 fort and +1 reflex/will, extra feats, unlocked class features (hurry and write those spells into your book), extra skill ranks, possibly a +1 to an ability score, etc sounds perfectly acceptable if they can lose up to 40% of the xp from an encounter.
    That's how I see it as well, you want to cheese like this? be prepared to lose exp. If you do that I have no issue with the reading.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holbita View Post
    That's how I see it as well, you want to cheese like this? be prepared to lose exp. If you do that I have no issue with the reading.
    Who are we kidding? This isn't an MMO or RPG where you can just "grind" levels; well for most groups anyways. Doing something like that can throw everything off. But for a benefit a few times per campaign? Might be worth the long term cost for the short term power gain. But if I allowed it I'd have to be less flexible on XP rewards... Or on the fly send in "hidden" reinforcements....
    Last edited by Darg; 2023-02-03 at 10:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Hit Dice do change character level, but negative levels don't. At least, not until 24 hours pass and you fail the save, but then it's not a negative level any more; it's just you being lower level.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    If one wants to abuse something, I say they need to take that abuse all the way instead of picking and choosing. Buuuut, that's just an opinion. Gaining 2 BAB AND another +2 competence bonus, 2d10s, 2d10 temp HP, up to +2 fort and +1 reflex/will, extra feats, unlocked class features (hurry and write those spells into your book), extra skill ranks, possibly a +1 to an ability score, etc sounds perfectly acceptable if they can lose up to 40% of the xp from an encounter.
    Damn that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    If someone wanted to use that logic, I'd say that negative levels would also result in loss of BAB, feats if applicable, caster level, and so forth, for the exact same reason they'd argue that extra hit dice gives them extra benefits.
    You've got my attention ...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Keep all of your high level gear, reduce yourself down to level 3, then start offing big rats for lots of XP!
    Maxi for the win!