New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Wells of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    That will give you a good understanding of the layout of the plane. Ask whatever you like, and I will answer it for you.
    well in a way I have asked

is it safe to go blindly into a place within the Abyss

what inhabits the plane as a general basis

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As far as the Abyss goes, it is reasonably safe, and travellers can sometimes be found there on their way to other places.

As for what you will find there, any sort of demon can be found. But vrocks are especially common, as their rules Pazuzu rules the skies above this layer of the Abyss.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn, sorry, been out of it and haven't really had spare time over for GITP this past week. Didn't think of saying anything as we still lacked out last player when I last popped in.

I feel a bit bad about it, as I was intending to finally do the last pieces of the sheet. Hopefully nothing affected will be be mechanically relevant yet, so I can fix stuff after I get an IC post up this weekend.
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2023-02-18 at 09:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not a problem. I can understand people being slow to kick off, after I was so slow to get the IC going. You have time to finish your sheet, as this is just the introduction to the campaign. As this is actually part 10 of 12 of a module series, I had to find a way to bring all into the game.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by watupwithdat View Post
    Damn, sorry, been out of it and haven't really had spare time over for GITP this past week. Didn't think of saying anything as we still lacked out last player when I last popped in.

I feel a bit bad about it, as I was intending to finally do the last pieces of the sheet. Hopefully nothing affected will be be mechanically relevant yet, so I can fix stuff after I get an IC post up this weekend.
    Not a problem. I can understand people being slow to kick off, after I was so slow to get the IC going. You have time to finish your sheet, as this is just the introduction to the campaign. As this is actually part 10 of 12 of a module series, I had to find a way to bring all into the game.
    not sure how busy watupwithdat is, but maybe P26 go ahead and progress the IC

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

not sure if my previous knowledge planes 44, was enought to know who Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi is- ?
    knowledge planes[roll/1d20+37[/roll], looking for if I know of or have heard of and then powers abilities, schemes ect...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

k. planes (1d20+37)[55] cuz i goofed

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You have heard of her. She is a demon lord, former concubine of Demogorgon, before he moved on to another. Her powers are those of a succubi, but better. Her schemes are unknown, but likely have something to do with getting back into Demogorgon's good graces again.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'll do my best to be quick with anything in response to Malcanthet. If at any point anyone would like me to employ Discern Lies, just let me know.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

is the town of Broken Reach in the material plane ?

knowledge planes(1d20+37)[56], looking for if I know of or have heard of the Wells of Darkness

I need you to travel to the town of Broken Reach. I then need you to consult with a being named Red Shroud. They will be able to give you directions to the Wells of Darkness, where I need you to rescue someone."

Spoiler: town of Broken Reach knowledge that may fit
    Show

(1d20)[12] + applicable knowledge

Knowledge (Planes) 37

Knowledge (Arcana) 25
    Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 25
    Knowledge (Local) 25
    Knowledge (Nature) 25
    Knowledge (Religion) 25

Knowledge (Engineering) 11
    Knowledge (Geography) 11
    Knowledge (History) 11
    Knowledge (Nobility) 11
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-02-27 at 06:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Broken Reach is in the Abyss. It is the portal town to the Outlands town of Plague-Mort. It is a fortress built two hundred years ago by the mysterious Red Shroud. It is famed for its marketplace, which takes good from both all over the Abyss as well as coming through from the Outlands via Plague-Mort.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Wel I know gunhaven and I replied IC to the demon, but I would hope that watupwithdat ->Setokh & AdmiralIvy ->Xue Xiuying
    would get a request in as well on IC

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Too long spent considering on my part, but just in case, I would like to roll Sense Motive, just to be absolutely sure of her honesty in regards to this being a one-time contract with no lasting consequences. (1d20+51)[71]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Of course the remaining two will get input on the remuneration. I was just progressing things a little. Didn't want the game to lag. Sorry, I should have waited a bit longer.

You find it impossible to tell for sure, since the Queen of Succubi is surely an absolute mistress of deceit. But as best you can tell she is telling the truth.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hmm, it's reasonable to expect she has truth-confounding magic, but I'll trust my intuition. More to the point, should we move on without Setokh? I don't want to be rude but it has been a bit.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralIvy View Post
    Hmm, it's reasonable to expect she has truth-confounding magic, but I'll trust my intuition. More to the point, should we move on without Setokh? I don't want to be rude but it has been a bit.
    I would think, maybe a pm to the players would be of use, but I think we can move along

it is reasonable to think that as a demon she wants what she wants and definitely is not giving all the details

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

@paradox26

Warlawk Last Activity 2023-03-10 - Never posted in OOC or IC - need to re-recruit for this one.

watupwithdat Last Activity 2023-02-25 - I think they were having RL issues - may need to re-recruit for this one.

AdmiralIvy Last Activity 2023-03-10 - Last OOC 2023-03-08 Last IC 2023-03-03

Gunhaven Last Activity Yesterday 04:10 PM Last OOC 2023-02-14 Last IC 2023-03-06

Samduke Last Activity - Now - Last OOC Now Last IC 2023-03-06
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-03-12 at 06:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have DMed Warlawk and AdmiralIvy to see if they are still interested. I assume AdmiralIvy at least is, as they posted OOC, though not IC, and I forgot to respond. I have now done so, so they can post IC again if they are still keen.

If either is not interested then I will rerecruit from the existing applicants.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

I am holding off posting IC for now to see what happens with players

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No worries. I have messaged everyone, and if I don't get a response by tomorrow I will contact alternates and invite them into the game.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-03-16 at 03:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am trying to contact a new prospective player, but we will continue in the meantime.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Hello everyone. I am being called in as a backup, and I am playing Ulbar, a powerful Munavri arcane spellcaster, being a cross between wizard and arcanist, for high flexibility. He focuses primarily on destructive magics, though he also has a fair amount of utility as one might expect. He will speak in red. I will be getting a post up in the IC thread soon here, just as soon as I finish refreshing myself on the character and scenario.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFlash View Post
    Hello everyone. I am being called in as a backup, and I am playing Ulbar, a powerful Munavri arcane spellcaster, being a cross between wizard and arcanist, for high flexibility. He focuses primarily on destructive magics, though he also has a fair amount of utility as one might expect. He will speak in red. I will be getting a post up in the IC thread soon here, just as soon as I finish refreshing myself on the character and scenario.
    welcome
    do not forget to link your character here

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The link is there, no worries. Also a question since I don't remember if this ever got addressed, are we houseruling Gate to be able to transport on the same plane?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

The link is there, no worries. Also a question since I don't remember if this ever got addressed, are we houseruling Gate to be able to transport on the same plane?
    Gate the spell, something for the GM... BUT

Casting a gate spell has two effects. -> concentrating on the 1st only..

First, it creates an interdimensional connection between your plane of existence and a plane you specify, allowing travel between those two planes in either direction.

Planar Travel: As a mode of planar travel, a gate spell functions much like a plane shift spell, except that the gate opens precisely at the point you desire (a creation effect).

Deities and other beings who rule a planar realm can prevent a gate from opening in their presence or personal demesnes if they so desire.

Travelers need not join hands with you–anyone who chooses to step through the portal is transported. A gate cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel.

You may hold the gate open only for a brief time (no more than 1 round per caster level), and you must concentrate on doing so, or else the interplanar connection is severed.

based on the bold underlined portion I would say it would not work for the intended travel

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Yes, I know about that, however I know that it is also a fairly common houserule to ignore that part of the spell and let it connect to a different spot on the same plane, so I'm just asking which way we're playing it.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Also at this point I guess I’ll just roll a knowledge check for the Wells of Darkness.

Knowledge Planes: (1d20+54)[71]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I will rule that Gate can work within the same plane, as a Greater Teleport effect. Since it is a 9th level spell, I figure I will grant it a bit of leeway.

The Wells of Darkness are a group of prisons within the Abyss, where those deemed hated by the powers that be within the Abyss place their enemies. It is the 73rd layer of the Abyss, the Wells of Darkness are ruled by Ahazu. Originally believed to be a large empty wasteland, Ahazu ordered his followers to build trenches in the layer to improve fortifications and when they did they broke into the Darkness. A rocky plane of jagged hills with a dim blue sun overhead, filled with black pits that appear to be full of tar, which are actually places where the followers of Ahazu opened the ground up to the void. The ruined stone fortress called Overlook is the base from which all of the marble fortifications around the wells originate, and constantly moving from well to well are the Custodians, terrifyingly large Bodaks that guard the wells. The wells act as nearly inescapable prisons, serving the followers of Ahazu well. Ahazu himself fed himself to the void, so obsessed with its power, which he calls Shattered Night. His followers the varrangoin run a multi-planar business of abduction and incarceration through use of the Wells, and Ahazu seems to draw power from those kept within the prison. Few beings have ever escaped.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Thanks, that might come in handy.

Now also rolling for Broken Reach, to see if I know it well enough to target a teleport there. Presuming knowledge planes again.

Knowledge planes: (1d20+54)[66]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

I will rule that Gate can work within the same plane, as a Greater Teleport effect. Since it is a 9th level spell, I figure I will grant it a bit of leeway.

The Wells of Darkness are a group of prisons within the Abyss, where those deemed hated by the powers that be within the Abyss place their enemies. It is the 73rd layer of the Abyss, the Wells of Darkness are ruled by Ahazu. Originally believed to be a large empty wasteland, Ahazu ordered his followers to build trenches in the layer to improve fortifications and when they did they broke into the Darkness. A rocky plane of jagged hills with a dim blue sun overhead, filled with black pits that appear to be full of tar, which are actually places where the followers of Ahazu opened the ground up to the void. The ruined stone fortress called Overlook is the base from which all of the marble fortifications around the wells originate, and constantly moving from well to well are the Custodians, terrifyingly large Bodaks that guard the wells. The wells act as nearly inescapable prisons, serving the followers of Ahazu well. Ahazu himself fed himself to the void, so obsessed with its power, which he calls Shattered Night. His followers the varrangoin run a multi-planar business of abduction and incarceration through use of the Wells, and Ahazu seems to draw power from those kept within the prison. Few beings have ever escaped.
    oh interesting

Thanks, that might come in handy.

Now also rolling for Broken Reach, to see if I know it well enough to target a teleport there. Presuming knowledge planes again.

Knowledge planes: (1d20+36)[38]
    I guess I should try this also for broken reach... Knowledge planes: (1d20+36)[38]
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-03-23 at 09:09 AM.