New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Wells of Darkness

Broken Reach is a city founded a few hundred years ago by a succubus, Red Shroud, a flame-haired taskmistress who still rules the city to this day. She is well known for her poisons as well as having the most dependable information and rumors on the Abyss and the greater multiverse. Many Abyssal Lords, or demons hoping to become powerful, seek her advice and see the information from her as genuine and as real as you can get, despite her many connections, her city has had to fight to survive on this top layer. Mobs of petitioners, githzerai looking for a new citadel home in the Abyss, and even Abyssal lords have attempted to take the fortress city from her grasp, all have failed.

This town is typically one of the more hospitable places on the Plain, but that isn’t saying much. Those who are unprepared for the Abyss don’t survive their first night here, and those that do should have deep pockets for any supplies they need. Red, the succubus in charge, is a firm believer in turning a large profit and charges high taxes on everything in this town. In the town square is a slave auction and several succubi and incubi can be found there, most of them are the offspring of Red who doesn’t want any children trying to take over her role as head of the town.

Beneath the iron citadel that oversees the town is a portal to Plague-Mort, the gate town on the Outlands. Utilizing this portal, Red can conduct trade with the rest of the planes and gather the latest news and information about the multiverse. It is said that Red is no longer happy with just her one town and is looking to expand her holdings to the nearby fortress of Mithrengo.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'd assume based on previous checks we'd have a good idea where to look for Red Shroud? Like, based on city structure, where the affluent live or where the center of rule is?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have sent you onwards to the meeting, as she would be easy to find. Now there is a flaming barrier to deal with.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I must submit my apologies for not having been online in a few days. I have been visiting a terminally ill friend in hospital every second day in my free time. And in between those days, I have been helping a friend do an online course that has taken him many hours longer than it took me when I did the same course. But he has been using my computer to do it as he doesn't have one himself, and so I haven't been able to access my computer.

I am updating the posts now.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

i am suffering with a nasty kidney stone and so my post rate is going to be very little for a bit

GM just play me until I return

I will recover, planning april 10 as I am spending a lot of time R&R
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-04-08 at 08:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sorry to hear that, Sam. Hope you feel better soon. I will just play you as quietly in the background for now. There is no real decisionmaking required for the next couple of days in any case.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Rolls for Red Shroud Conversation

Diplomacy (1d20+29)[31]
    Knowledge Planes (1d20+36)[44]
    Perception (1d20+35)[38]

edit

wow the rng almost hates me
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-04-13 at 10:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I will allow you to remake the Diplomacy roll once you have offered her gifts that she would like. That is what the module calls for, so don't worry about your poor skill roll right now.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    I will allow you to remake the Diplomacy roll once you have offered her gifts that she would like. That is what the module calls for, so don't worry about your poor skill roll right now.
    well i have reread and nothing stated what she wanted and no response given to the direct - what do you want question

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sorry, I thought it was clear that she wanted coins. But items are just as good. I just clarified that. Remember to ask Melcanthet to reimburse you for what you offer. She wants a great deal. Just to give you some idea, the mere mention of Shami-Amourae gives a -20 to the Diplomacy roll. You get a +1 to your roll as a Competence bonus for every 2000gp you offer. So it will cost you.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Sorry, I thought it was clear that she wanted coins. But items are just as good. I just clarified that. Remember to ask Melcanthet to reimburse you for what you offer. She wants a great deal. Just to give you some idea, the mere mention of Shami-Amourae gives a -20 to the Diplomacy roll. You get a +1 to your roll as a Competence bonus for every 2000gp you offer. So it will cost you.
    all Reiza is doing at the moment is Studied Target (Ex) = red shroud
    red shroud <True Sight>
    red shroud <Scout> As a swift action, you may identify a creature’s weaknesses (DC 10 + creature’s CR)
    red shroud <Find Gap> knowledge or perception check
    red shroud <Heightened Awareness>
    When actively searching with the Perception skill (a move action), you may detect the presence of ongoing magical auras, such as those left by spells such as alarm or invisibility. If the target does not normally have a Perception DC, the DC is equal to the original spell DC as determined by the spell’s caster (DC 10 + spell level + caster’s casting ability modifier), or DC 25 if the effect does not originate from a source that would make it possible to determine a spell DC. This does not give you any information about the exact nature of magical effects detected in this manner, you are merely aware that a magical effect is active and the general area it is active in.
    So long as you have martial focus, you may make a Perception check to notice the presence of traps or ongoing magical effects (as described above) whenever you pass within 10 ft. of them, whether or not you are actively looking.

red shroud Diplomacy (1d20+29)[32]
    red shroud Perception (1d20+35)[40]
    red shroud knowledge checks
    all knowledge except the planes (1d20+24)[43]
    Knowledge the planes (1d20+36)[44]

okay party Reiza has 6,701 gp, how much can we come up with ????

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

I only got 2450 gold, lol.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just an idea. The module doesn't suggest it. You could always go back to Malcanthet to borrow the money, since it is for her purposes anyway. You don't seem to have enough gold to negate the negative to the diplomacy check you got from mentioning Shami-Amourae.

As for your rolls, you learn that she is in her natural form, but robed, so you can't see exactly what that form is, though from her size she appears likely to be a succubus. You also learn that she doesn't have any active spell effects cast upon her. She doesn't have any notable weaknesses.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Just an idea. The module doesn't suggest it. You could always go back to Malcanthet to borrow the money, since it is for her purposes anyway. You don't seem to have enough gold to negate the negative to the diplomacy check you got from mentioning Shami-Amourae.

As for your rolls, you learn that she is in her natural form, but robed, so you can't see exactly what that form is, though from her size she appears likely to be a succubus. You also learn that she doesn't have any active spell effects cast upon her. She doesn't have any notable weaknesses.
    okay but does what I learned give me an idea to her power level, I think that was one of the things I could learn (?) we probably should go back and get some GP from Malcanthet though vs. attempting to beat the information out of this succubus + guards.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

She is effectively a demon lord. She doesn't rule the whole layer, but she is powerful. You also know that a condition of entry into the city is that you must be willing to fight to defend her if she is attacked. So if you attack her, you will be facing pretty much every demon and traveller in the city.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

She is effectively a demon lord. She doesn't rule the whole layer, but she is powerful. You also know that a condition of entry into the city is that you must be willing to fight to defend her if she is attacked. So if you attack her, you will be facing pretty much every demon and traveller in the city.
    yeah - NOPE... did not think it a great idea

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To save the game bogging down, I will handwave the trip back to Malcanthet, and just assume she will loan the money, though it wasn't part of her agreement to pay the costs associated with the quest. She will be lenient in favour of getting the job done. How much do you want to borrow off her?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Shoot, I think we need 40k to counteract the penalty to diplomacy? So.... (100d6*100)[33700] for funsies, to be deducted from the 400k we'd get from the quest completion?
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sounds perfect to me. I had been rethinking that I should just have given you 40K to counteract the penalty, but you got there before me.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

OOC Actions
    Okay, I need just one of you to roll a Diplomacy check, now that the penalty has been negated. First one to roll is the one we will go with.
    I see... Diplomacy
    Setokh +30
    Reiza +29
    Xue Xiuying +10
    Ixen'Hesjing +10

SO Reiza (1d20+30)[40] opps -1 from that...

edited
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-05-06 at 08:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just checking in on the game. Is everyone still here? I don't want to have to re-recruit, so if no one wants to continue the game then we can just end it, though I would much prefer that we continue.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Just checking in on the game. Is everyone still here? I don't want to have to re-recruit, so if no one wants to continue the game then we can just end it, though I would much prefer that we continue.
    ping - here - I was hoping that one of the others would post IC, and I have been busy

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

I honestly kept getting distracted and waited to see what’s crackalackin.
    New job, who dis?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

posted a short reply to Ixen

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am holding off on posting until the discussion is done.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

wondering about the other 2 players nothing recently from them

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No, I assume they have gone. Do you want to continue with just the two of you, end the game, or re-recruit?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

No, I assume they have gone. Do you want to continue with just the two of you, end the game, or re-recruit?
    well if I am being honest, due to issues this floundered out of the gate which probably lost the other two players, I would say that if Gunhaven is okay with re-recruiting, go that route but recruit like 3 cuz players tend to drop.

Otherwise just end it

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

I’d be okay with either, honestly. And ye, 3 sounds like a good number just because we could use a taxi at least.
    New job, who dis?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I will put up a re-recruitment post in the forums then. I have given enough time for the other players to chime in, and it seems certain they have gone.