New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Adventure is Nigh! (the Escapist's D&D show)

For those of you who don't know, Adventure is Nigh is the Escapist's D&D show. (Yes, The Escapist has content other than Zero Punctuation. Although Yahtzee Croshaw is one of the players.) It's also the only show in which people play D&D that I actually like. I tried watching / listening to Critical Role and a few other role-playing shows but none of them really appealed to me. For one, Adventure is Nigh is much more visually focused than the others. The group uses a program called Foundry Virtual Tabletop that helps to visualize the game. It almost looks like a turn-based strategy video game. (Almost) The art style is influenced by the Zero Punctuation style but more detailed and with significantly more colors than white and yellow. The show is also very heavily edited to cut out a lot of needless chaff and to add a slideshow of images to show what is happening. Yes, you can use this as a podcast, but you'd be missing out on the visual gags.

The show ended its second season a few weeks ago and season 3 is due out sometime this year. Each episode averages out to about an hour in length. All of the episodes are on YouTube. If you're interested, start with the pilot episode. The pilot was intended to be just that; a pilot to test out whether the show could work and would garner an audience. But it turned out to be a hit and became the first episode. (It's not labeled as a part of season 1, though.)

So, has anyone else been keeping up with this show?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure is Nigh! (the Escapist's D&D show)

I have not. I've watched Critical Role and Dimension20. I'll have to give this one a try.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Adventure is Nigh! (the Escapist's D&D show)

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I have not. I've watched Critical Role and Dimension20. I'll have to give this one a try.
    I VERY strongly recommend you do. It's a high quality campaign, and scenes are animated in the Zero Punctuation style so you can see the characters interact and do things. I especially enjoy Mortimer's antics (and still think he should be party leader, but se la vi), and the cast play off each other really well. You won't be disappointed!
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley