New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC]Devastation Ark

Ah, I see. It's probably a token attempt then.
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #62

@grumblyarcher, I am able to figure it out, but can you state your Faculty on your character sheet (Primary:Obliteration, Secondary:Regeneration). Also when calculating minimum damage from a weapon, my interpretation is you get to include any modifiers. So it isn't just 8, it would be 8+13=21. I know you will be happy with that, but if you have a reason to think otherwise, please let me know. I read that rule as "the damage as if you had rolled 1 on all dice is carried to a different target creature within 10 feet of the original target". Also where are you getting penetrating from? It's not an inherent property of the Conqueror, Blue Star, and I didn't see it as one of your knacks or feats. There is a knack you can take for it or a feat you can take for it, but I just didn't see it listed.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2023-02-22 at 08:02 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth, whenever I saw a rule calling for minimum damage, I also interpreted it as the minimum of whatever damage range you would normally roll, so 1s on all dice, apply the usual modifiers (and ignore any rerolls on 1s, if Starfinder has those somewhere).

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Is the map a bigger scale than 5 feet? With the 1-2-1-2 rule for diagonal movement, moving from O26 to W18 should be 60ft (5+10+5+10+5+10+5+10), adding 15ft to move three more squares to the west to W15, for a grand total of 75ft movement out of a possible 80ft.

Also Ramshackle only does 6d8 trick attack due to her Medic archetype.

Also also, does that -1 to attack apply to all attacks in the air? Flying too? Do hoverskates already qualify as airborne?

I'm frankly also unclear whether Ram did do her trick attack damage to the elemental. Is the "doesn't do as much damage as she is used to" meant to convey the -1 damage penalty due to attacking from the air?
    Last edited by Ridai; 2023-02-22 at 02:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    Is the map a bigger scale than 5 feet? With the 1-2-1-2 rule for diagonal movement, moving from O26 to W18 should be 60ft (5+10+5+10+5+10+5+10), adding 15ft to move three more squares to the west to W15, for a grand total of 75ft movement out of a possible 80ft.

Also Ramshackle only does 6d8 trick attack due to her Medic archetype.

Also also, does that -1 to attack apply to all attacks in the air? Flying too? Do hoverskates already qualify as airborne?

I'm frankly also unclear whether Ram did do her trick attack damage to the elemental. Is the "doesn't do as much damage as she is used to" meant to convey the -1 damage penalty due to attacking from the air?
    No the scale is 5 feet and it should be the 1-2-1-2 rule for diagonal movement. I may not have found the optimal path. I will update you next map (if needed), you can assume you are at W15 for the purposes of your next turn.

Ahh, I missed the archetype change, thanks for keeping me honest.

Yes anyone who is not on the ground is considered airborne, which the Elementals hate (they own the air in their minds) and they have "air mastery" as an ability that allows them to subtract 1 from attack and damage roles while their foe is airborne.

Ram did succeed on her trick attack, though I had to make sure it wasn't precision damage. The consensus on the internet is that it just makes your weapon more effective dealing more damage of the same type. The elementals have damage reduction, so I am trying to convey that while you did damage, the elemental is able to reform its body in such a way that it avoids some of the damage.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    @grumblyarcher, I am able to figure it out, but can you state your Faculty on your character sheet (Primary:Obliteration, Secondary:Regeneration). Also when calculating minimum damage from a weapon, my interpretation is you get to include any modifiers. So it isn't just 8, it would be 8+13=21. I know you will be happy with that, but if you have a reason to think otherwise, please let me know. I read that rule as "the damage as if you had rolled 1 on all dice is carried to a different target creature within 10 feet of the original target". Also where are you getting penetrating from? It's not an inherent property of the Conqueror, Blue Star, and I didn't see it as one of your knacks or feats. There is a knack you can take for it or a feat you can take for it, but I just didn't see it listed.
    Faculties are now listed amidst the other class features.

The ability only mentions the weapon's damage and the example given does not add any modifiers to the damage so I assume it is just what damage comes from the weapon itself. As things like Weapon Specialization were not mentioned at all, it seems to me that they were not intended to be otherwise included.

Penetrating is added to all weapons FAR-US forms from gear arrays due to his 'Unstoppable Nanites' ability from the Obliteration Faculty. They also get the Boost 3d6 property from that ability.
    Last edited by grumblyarcher; 2023-02-22 at 03:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

That’s a nifty trick for the penetrating stuff when we encounter constructs with hardness instead of DR or we have to blow the doors down in a spectacular style
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

One of my two main weapons is a fully automatic heavy weapon so you should fully expect FAR-US's first instinct when encountering a dug in enemy to be 'Keep shooting until the cover and hostiles are gone'
    Last edited by grumblyarcher; 2023-02-22 at 03:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

No the scale is 5 feet and it should be the 1-2-1-2 rule for diagonal movement. I may not have found the optimal path. I will update you next map (if needed), you can assume you are at W15 for the purposes of your next turn.

Ahh, I missed the archetype change, thanks for keeping me honest.

Yes anyone who is not on the ground is considered airborne, which the Elementals hate (they own the air in their minds) and they have "air mastery" as an ability that allows them to subtract 1 from attack and damage roles while their foe is airborne.

Ram did succeed on her trick attack, though I had to make sure it wasn't precision damage. The consensus on the internet is that it just makes your weapon more effective dealing more damage of the same type. The elementals have damage reduction, so I am trying to convey that while you did damage, the elemental is able to reform its body in such a way that it avoids some of the damage.
    Ah gotcha.

Yeah, Trick Attack seems to just be a typeless damage bonus from hitting better. Had to recheck myself, as I was prepared to be sad when it turned out all my damage was precision damage.

To further explain the route, I moved 8 squares to the down-left on the map, then 3 squares left for the path described in my post (this is assuming that the arms of the mobile cranes are pointing into the air at some angle, not blocking ground routes). A jump is definitely involved, as is shooting while leaping, but I took that route, since I wanted to avoid the messy interactions of "okay, how high up is Ram at this point of a leaping arc of this length and how much clearance does she have over the construction vehicle" etc.

I'll figure the -1 to attack into my next post, since deactivating items is a standard action and that's just too slow at the moment.

Important Edit: It turns out I did a bad and Ram's speed is actually 70ft. I missed the mention that Speed Suspension's bonus is also an enhancement bonus, so it overrides the bonus given by the Longstrider module, and also makes the speed boost of the Hoverskates useless. Let's assume Ram is in the square shown on the most recent map, since that is reachable with 70ft speed. I wish they would standardize where the put the bonus type in rules texts instead of deciding on something different with every item.

Hoverskates still are useful since they let me move over any surface that wouldn't be able to carry Ram, but Longstrider is useless now. Anyone want a free Longstrider Module armor upgrade?
    Last edited by Ridai; 2023-02-22 at 03:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Alright, switched to melee and got the elemental in my threatened area while trying to minimize the cover I could be giving it.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    Requested perception: [roll0]
    Perception to check houses: not rolling because 1d20+15 is useless after Ram's 36.
    You can roll to assist and give her +2 on her roll. I know 36 is already pretty good, but just so you know in the future. Even if you aren't the best at a skill, you just have to succeed against DC 10 to aid. So long as you are trained and it seems like something that having a second person looking over your shoulder or being your goffer or whatever would actually be beneficial, then you can roll it and I'll reserve final decision on whether it helps or not.

12. - Top - End - #72

I didn't move anybody on the map because this is free exploration. If I had thought about it, I would have hidden your icons, but I forgot before uploading, so I will leave it. FAR-US is by the tree, the 3 cabin explorers are in the cabin with the blue stuff just east of the tree. Kisada and Iron Scanda finished their sweep and met back up near the purple thing to investigate it. Isar and ICARUS didn't really move, if I remember correctly. But if positioning starts to matter for what you feel like doing, just give me a quick coordinate where you want your character and I can move it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Isar followed Delta on his cabin search.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

You can roll to assist and give her +2 on her roll. I know 36 is already pretty good, but just so you know in the future. Even if you aren't the best at a skill, you just have to succeed against DC 10 to aid. So long as you are trained and it seems like something that having a second person looking over your shoulder or being your goffer or whatever would actually be beneficial, then you can roll it and I'll reserve final decision on whether it helps or not.
    Thanks for the hint! I'm still new to the ruleset, so I'm prone to omit parts of the rules (and simultaneously learning pf2e doesn't help either).
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    Thanks for the hint! I'm still new to the ruleset, so I'm prone to omit parts of the rules (and simultaneously learning pf2e doesn't help either).
    You are welcome.

I am going to try to throw out suggestions wherever I see them. It may be directed at one player because of the specific instance that prompted the reminder, but the advice is true for everyone. Also I am not trying to treat anyone like they don't know the rules or whatever, I just know there are a lot of things that are different to other systems, some more complicated and some more simple (thus making it more complicated to remember).

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Got a 38 on my engineering check to determine two things, would this shield be easier to breach from the inside and would a Quantum Tunneling Coverall allow FAR-US to get inside the shield without bringing it down first.

Additionally, if possible/relevant, FAR-US did not roll a Nat 1 on checks to assist hacking efforts.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Isar has the ability to decrease the DC of rolls to Identify or recall knowledge about previously unknown cultures. Perhaps I should roll whichever skill the DM deems best fits the moment with a reduced DC?
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78

After Ram pointed out that the holograms are doing weird phrases, you can all hear it, so you can roll Culture to recall information on the Kishalee or you can roll engineering or computers to identify something with the forcefield, but there just isn't much to see or identify with the forcefield. It is surrounding a spiraling staircase going down. There are no discernable controls or anything inside the forcefield to help identify more than Kisada has. I am going to update for the game so far.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I was specifically wanting to try and more through the force field itself but if the force field blocks incorporeal creatures, then overwhelming firepower it is!

Would it be beneficial to hit multiple squares of the force field at once? I could break out my automatic weapon and hose down an entire face of the force field at once.
    Last edited by grumblyarcher; 2023-03-03 at 08:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

The forcefield acts like 1 giant piece of domed wall, so where isn't as important as how much damage. Like I said there isn't much but time to it, as Ram removed the reinforcements. The field has 250 HP with 20 Hardness and 10 regeneration, so it's tough, but you guys can definitely, eventually overcome it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

A bit of math working on the assumption of average damage from FAR-US's Blue Star Conquerer with boost and penetrating says we're looking at about seven hits to bring the shield down. That's 14 shots worth of my battery's charge.

Given the boost and penetrating, FAR-US's loadout is probably the most adapted to the task at hand. I certainly don't mind eating the battery expenditure but wouldn't say no if someone wants to lend a hand.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Alternately, Kisada can just beat it down. Without engaging my electrical attack, my base claws in PA do 3d6+28 damage, using a Full Attack each round will yield an average of 26 damage a round after hardness and regen are taken into account, so we will have to wait for 9 rounds or so, but it won't use anyone's ammo.
    Last edited by Lord Bayushi; 2023-03-03 at 12:10 PM.
    'When you're lo-oo-ony, then you just don't give a fig.
    Man's so pu-oo-oony, and the universe so big.
    If you hurt inside,
    Get certified,
    And if life should treat you bad...
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Get MAD!'
    -Joker, The Killing Joke

23. - Top - End - #83

The mental image of this bear who has so far tried to be gentle and not scare any of the people who have hired yall suddenly just going ham on this force field with his claws is quite humorous to me.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

*Puts down computer terminal gently and removes glasses*

"Oh bother."

RAWR!! SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! SLAM!

Anyway, I'm headed out for the night, I will see what everyone else decides and post again at some point over the weekend.
    'When you're lo-oo-ony, then you just don't give a fig.
    Man's so pu-oo-oony, and the universe so big.
    If you hurt inside,
    Get certified,
    And if life should treat you bad...
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Get MAD!'
    -Joker, The Killing Joke

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

If we've got somewhere to recharge batteries later, I'm less concerned.

Bayushi, let's go ahead and hammer this thing down as a together. Your PA attack will nearly cut the average number of shots I need in half and the faster we drop it the less time it has to regen.

We may not have a serious time crunch but I'd like to get down there relatively quickly.
    Last edited by grumblyarcher; 2023-03-03 at 10:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

And thus, the force field acquired a beary big problem.

I'll wait for the results of the offered Culture roll to see if this helps with the force field. Ramshackle can't contribute on a magical front unless someone really needs a single-use item with Dispel Magic or the like.

Can Trick Attack be used against inanimate objects? The TA rules have no special handling for those, and I am unsure if this force field has a CR rating. Is TA applicable as a "shoot the weak spot" sort of thing in this case, and is there a roll involved?

27. - Top - End - #87

Sorry for the delay, weekends always end up way more busy than I want. The culture roll has nothing to do with the forcefield.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

So can I Trick Attack inanimate objects like the force field?

29. - Top - End - #89

I'll say yes, though trick attack represents less precision damage and more feinting or distracting your opponent in Starfinder. But it is an operatives whole thing that they can do more damage that way, so go for it in the name of cool.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

To be clear, FAR-US wants to take point for the party as the highest durability stealth capable character. I would not object at all if anyone wants to send a drone ahead.