New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Nintendo Direct February 8, 2023

Pikmin 4! Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins HD Remaster! Etrian Odyssey I, II, III HD! Gameboy games for Nintendo Switch Online! Gameboy Advance games for Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass!

What are your thoughts on this Direct?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Nintendo Direct February 8, 2023

Biggest thing for me personally was them finally biting the bullet and releasing Advance Wars 1+2 in April. Been waiting on that one, happy to finally see it happen.

Some of the remasters were nice surprises too I guess. Baten Kaitos actually seeing the light of day again in particular is stunning - and kind of baffling, honestly. I don't get the impression it was ever popular, and even as someone who played it (the first one, anyway, I was only vaguely aware it even had a sequel), I only remember coming away from it feeling like it was okay, not anything special. The Metroid Prime remake is a cool surprise, though I don't think I'll be getting that one either, personally.

The Nintendo Online stuff... eh. I let my subscription expire last month - I got it last year mostly to re-play Paper Mario, since I no longer have my original copy of that and it's never been re-released, and got in some other games while I was at it. I don't think I'll be renewing it even though they're adding a few things I do like (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, Golden Sun), because I still have my original copies of those and a system that could play them. If they were releasing remasters of them for the Switch I'd probably be happy to buy those to have them on a modern console I can play on a TV instead of just an old handheld, but a subscription service is a much harder sell for me, because I don't own the games, and need to keep paying every year to keep access to them.

Pikmin 4 and Tears of the Kingdom are cool for those that are interested. I'm not one of them. I liked the first couple of Pikmin games, but have never even played 3 even though I do have a copy of it (there's just always something else I feel like I'd rather play), and Zelda lost me by going open-world.

Edit: Oh yeah, I actually forgot about Bayonetta Origins. Nice to see more of what that game will actually play like; looks fun, even if very different from the main series. I am now more certain I will be picking that up.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2023-02-08 at 10:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

This was a pretty solid Direct for ports and a good deal of interesting fresh content. The standout for me was Tears of the Kingdom on the latter front. Already got Metroid Prime Remaster. Eager to get the Oracle games and my night may well be eaten up by Mario Land 2.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I haven't activated my 6 months free Online yet, but I can already tell that once I do I'm never going to switch it off.

5. - Top - End - #5

OldWizardGuy

Was sorry to see that Ghost Trick was just a remaster not a new game. I really liked the original...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Metroid Prime remaster is a reasonable peace offering for not showing Silksong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

“Come quick, Professor, they're starting in a minute!”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Was sorry to see that Ghost Trick was just a remaster not a new game. I really liked the original...
    I love Ghost Trick. It's on my top games of all time list.

I don't want Ghost Trick 2. The original is a complete story that ties everything up in a neat little bow. Any attempt to tell a sequel story in the same universe would mess with that, and I don't believe they could capture lightning in a bottle twice.

The remaster looks really cool. I recently played the iOS version and the game's age really shows. It was meant for the DS, and if I recall correctly was primarily played on one screen of the DS, making the art even smaller. Getting a version that looks good on a larger screen is more than enough for me, and the art from the preview video is awesome. Lynne has proper eyes now!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't watch, so this thread is my information source, but...

HD Remaster of the Baten Kaitos games? Say what? I mean, don't get me wrong, they're both good games (the prequel is better than the first one in many respects, ESPECIALLY voice acting - the first one had absolutely comedically bad voice acting) and I've played both of them to completion multiple times, but were they EVER popular?

As for Online... well, I'd love to be able to play Golden Sun and FE7 on the Switch, but there's absolutely no way I'm ever going to pay for a subscription service for games. Ever.

Looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom. It comes out a few days before my birthday, so it's like Nintendo's BDay gift to me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    and Zelda lost me by going open-world.
    I haven't played BotW so I'm definitely missing some context, but I am curious what you mean by this statement. I recall some reviewers in the 1980s described the original Legend of Zelda as "open world," and that phrase was also common in reviews of Ocarina of Time, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess.

I've heard several people call BotW the "first open world Zelda game," and I've never gotten a clear answer on what that means. The phrase "open world" honestly strikes me as a marketing buzzword. The closest I've heard to an explanation is that you can defeat the bosses of BotW in almost any order. But, in the original Legend of Zelda, there was also a lot of flexibility in what order you cleared each dungeon (though they did have an 'intended' order.)

What, in your opinion, is a dealbreaker about Breath that wasn't a dealbreaker about earlier games?
    Last edited by 137beth; 2023-02-09 at 11:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    I haven't played BotW so I'm definitely missing some context, but I am curious what you mean by this statement. I recall some reviewers in the 1980s described the original Legend of Zelda as "open world," and that phrase was also common in reviews of Ocarina of Time, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess.

I've heard several people call BotW the "first open world Zelda game," and I've never gotten a clear answer on what that means. The phrase "open world" honestly strikes me as a marketing buzzword. The closest I've heard to an explanation is that you can defeat the bosses of BotW in almost any order. But, in the original Legend of Zelda, there was also a lot of flexibility in what order you cleared each dungeon (though they did have an 'intended' order.)

What, in your opinion, is a dealbreaker about Breath that wasn't a dealbreaker about earlier games?
    "Open world" in modern gaming (at least since Skyrim's popularity lead to a huge increase in games aiming for this style) means having enormous world maps you can wander at will, which by their nature generally need to be either very empty or full of shallow side-content (because so much of it is needed that it can't be anything but shallow without taking up way too much development time/money). Calling Ocarina of Time or other Zelda games in that vein open world seems laughable to me considering the kind of games that the term is applied to today - everything Bethesda makes, Assassin's Creed, Elden Ring, etc. And Breath of the Wild very much so went in that direction.

There's more elements of Breath of the Wild that put me off it than just that, but that was the big red flag for me, the reason I didn't buy it on release. There's rare exceptions where I do enjoy a game in that style, but there's specific things I've noticed that allow for that (having such quick mobility options that the world feels much smaller than it actually is, mainly - see Infamous: Second Son, or the recent Spider-Man games), which as far as I'm aware Breath of the Wild has nothing comparable to. And even then, I'd still prefer a more focused game design, with smaller maps and less (but more in-depth) side content - i.e., like Zelda had in the Ocarina of Time through Skyward Sword period.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

as someone who was born after the 1980's, 137beth I'm pretty sure whatever definition of open world people used then, is no longer used now, no matter what the buzzword nonsense is.

BotW is open world in the sense that it made a massive world to explore all in one area rather than section off, bigger than any zelda game before it, filled it with random stuff to do with no story relation to the point where your not reasonably expected to complete everything in the game stuff like that. it basically took notes from Skyrim then refined the experience down to bare basics needed as Nintendo is oft to do to encourage on the basic game play loop which is basically explore, fight, gather resources repeat, like....

basically open world these days means "Feels like an MMO without being an MMO". because mmorpgs have largely fallen out of popularity. Unsurprisingly, people don't like to deal with the communities those attract/make, but people still seem to like going anywhere they want and having good movement options and collecting things except for the few nerds who don't and like other stuff. like, the modern open world rpg is basically "what if MMO, but we took out the toxic community?" (though given some recent trends I've seen, some level of social play will be added back into rpgs on a more limited friend to friend level sooner rather than later so that you only have fun with your friends you invite and not with weird strangers)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

I don't want Ghost Trick 2. The original is a complete story that ties everything up in a neat little bow. Any attempt to tell a sequel story in the same universe would mess with that, and I don't believe they could capture lightning in a bottle twice.
    Yeah, just watched a lets play of it- everything has an explanation, everything is connected. its a perfect little puzzle box that once everything is put into place, it all fits together, complete in of itself. its all done in a way that it'd be completely implausible for a sequel to happen in any meaningful manner because of how hyper-specific the circumstances are and how personal the story is.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2023-02-11 at 07:27 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #13

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

The remaster looks really cool. I recently played the iOS version and the game's age really shows. It was meant for the DS, and if I recall correctly was primarily played on one screen of the DS, making the art even smaller. Getting a version that looks good on a larger screen is more than enough for me, and the art from the preview video is awesome. Lynne has proper eyes now!
    I mean, I don't want a game with the same characters and settings. Just a game with the same feel and mechanics and feeling that everything ties up in a little bow.

But I guess you're right, we'd get a game that had the same characters and retcon'ed everything that was good about the first game so that there was something new to do.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    But I guess you're right, we'd get a game that had the same characters and retcon'ed everything that was good about the first game so that there was something new to do.
    The ending of the game is already a retcon by time travel. You could totaly make a sequel playing the undead half-ghost cat with psychic powers fighting the evil country people who are after the Temsik meteor without breaking anything from the original.
    I still think it would be a bad idea.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    The ending of the game is already a retcon by time travel. You could totaly make a sequel playing the undead half-ghost cat with psychic powers fighting the evil country people who are after the Temsik meteor without breaking anything from the original.
    I still think it would be a bad idea.
    If they were going to do a sequel I'd prefer a spinoff of sorts. Detective Lynne and her psychic kitty fight crime! Move it from the complex single story to a series of individual cases, Ace Attorney style.

I think you would have to get rid of the "4 minutes before death" mechanic though. That goes from solving crimes to preventing them, and the original game covered that thoroughly.

...which now that I think about it, would probably land a spinoff in the bad idea bin again. Rats.