New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default THE TOMB (calling all characters)

I am planning on running the Tomb of Horrors (dundundunhhhh), for my group as a humurous one off during Christmas break.

We are now asking for anyone who wants to make a pregen character to post them here and we will run them through the TOMB, and keep everyone updated on thier progress.

The Rules:

All WoTC content allowed except for the environment ones (stormwrack, etc).
    I don't care about what level of optimization they have.
    NO CHEESE.
    NO METAGAME knowledge of TOH.
    Stats: 4d6 seven times drop the lowest. (I trust you , you don't have to post the rolls), or a 32 point buy from the DMG.
    level ten,
    WBL, no Custom items, no more than 1/4 spent on any single item.

Thats about all, have fun. Characters will be taken first come, and probably distributed at random.

ps. I am no artist, but if somebody wanted to draw a trophy of some sort, It can go to whoever's character lives longest, or whoever dies in the most interesting way. or both.

Much thanks to anyone who helps out.

Fresh meat er.. Characters so far

Mortimer Rivers :Human Rogue
    Arca :Human Druid
    Grazvel :Human Duskblade
    Vuliev the Flail :Human Cleric
    Deitrich : Human cleric
    Kaasad Shadoweb Chitine Rogue
    Tori Gallows Arcane Trickster
    Last edited by rollfrenzy; 2007-12-06 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    "Hands in, lets-all-be-heroes on three."

After a long break, I am back and forget who was nice enough to create the zombie ninja avatar for me. If you did it, or know who did, PM me so I can give proper credit.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: THE TOMB (dunhdunhdunhhhhh)

I dont know, but why not tell your players to just come prepared with five or more characters they themselves have made? You could say its 'for some crazy idea you had.' Character creation is one of my favorite parts, and personally I would be pretty hard pressed to play some guy I didnt actually build myself. I just wouldnt like it.

Also, make you sure you drop the hint that at least two of their characters have to be rogues. heh.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I downloaded a chargen program from kazaa a few years ago... It would allow you to make X number of people, with Y levels in classes Z and/or W, T, U etc. It would also take about 5 tries to get a thief with ranks in hide or move silently. Oh yeah, it was also, 3E, core only. So it wasn't that good back then, let alone now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You might also want to just have them find a anyone can use it wand of true resurrection that brings them back with their stuff. Like 8 or 10 charges should be sufficent.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    You might also want to just have them find a anyone can use it wand of true resurrection that brings them back with their stuff. Like 8 or 10 charges should be sufficent.
    That's what I was thinking as well, cuts down on the paperwork.

They're going to start dying as soon as they open the door, no need to trash a bunch of character sheets, especially for a humourous one-off

6. - Top - End - #6

You might also want to imply that they shouldn't get too attatched to these guys. Mmm.... Redshirt Rush!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

The problem is, they don't like making characters, (especially in a situation where they will probably die) so I was hoping to save myself some prep time.

Barring something that makes the characters automatically, is there and easy way online to create pc's? Similar to the 3.0 Cd.

Edit:: Yeah, my default option is to have them each make one pc who miraculously has like three or four identical twins who happen to to be right behind the party, named similarly and equipped exactly the same as thier brothers.
    Last edited by rollfrenzy; 2007-12-03 at 03:18 PM.

After a long break, I am back and forget who was nice enough to create the zombie ninja avatar for me. If you did it, or know who did, PM me so I can give proper credit.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if you are really set upon lots of characters then this website and this website are not too bad in terms of saving time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

You could also just make all the characters yourself and let them either draw from a hat or just divvy up the characters.

Alternatively, there was a 3.0 book called "Enemies and Allies" that has the 'iconic' characters (Mialee, Lidda, Regdar, etc.) statted out for levels 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20 (or something like that). You could just have them play those, if you can find a copy of the book (I managed to pick up a copy at a used bookstore for about $3).
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #10

EvilClericGuy

You could also put out a call to the forumgoers here for characters. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to make characters just for fun. Then, when the game is over, you can post how all the characters died.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    You could also put out a call to the forumgoers here for characters. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to make characters just for fun. Then, when the game is over, you can post how all the characters died.
    That is actually a pretty cool idea.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

That actually could be a pretty cool idea. I am going to float these ideas out to my group.

I would have to insist that Metagame knowledge of the tomb be limited when designing thes Pc's though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be willing to do that (even though I should be writing term papers and studying for finals instead).

EDIT: I don't know anything about Tomb of Horrors, other than it's deadly legend, so I'm good on the whole avoiding metagaming.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2007-12-03 at 03:43 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Don't start yet, though, I need to get approval from my group, because I know at least one of them is usually strongly against Pregen cahracters (although this is kinda unique and I think i could get them to try it).
    Last edited by rollfrenzy; 2007-12-03 at 03:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by rollfrenzy View Post
    Don't start yet, though, I need to get approval from my group, because I know at least one of them is usually strongly against Pregen cahracters (although this is kinda unique and I think i could get them to try it).
    Inform the group that anyone who wants to go through the trouble of making their own characters can do so, but that there will be pregen characters available for anyone who just wants to throw more meat into the grinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You'll need some tables, and some dice.

A table for race, one for class, and one with a series of stats. Roll everything randomly, play a half-orc wizard with maximised wisdom.

At least they won't be attached to them...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Well, my group really likes the idea. The one guy does want to make his own, but everybody else is excited about your idea.

So, Long story short, I will be taking up to twelve characters if anybody wants to make them, I will provide status updates and a final description.

I am no artist, but if somebody wanted to draw a trophy of some sort, It can go to whoever's character lives longest, or whoever dies in the most interesting way. or both.

The Rules:

All splat books allowed except for the environment ones (stormwrack, etc).
    I don't care about what level of optimization they have.
    NO CHEESE.
    NO METAGAME knowledge of TOH.
    Stats 4d6 seven times drop the lowest. (I trust you , you don't have to post the rolls)

Thats about all, have fun. Characters will be taken first come, and probably distributed at random.

18. - Top - End - #18

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: THE TOMB (calling all characters)

What level would you like the characters to be?
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Oh yeah, level ten, WBL, no Custom items, no more than 1/4 spent on any single item.

20. - Top - End - #20

All splat books allowed except for the environment ones (stormwrack, etc).
    What do you mean by "splat books"? You need to be more specific.

Stats 4d6 seven times drop the lowest. (I trust you , you don't have to post the rolls)
    I would suggest the 32 point buy method from the DMG.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

By "splat books" I mean anything that has the WOTC stamp on it's cover. basically any of the expansion books ( BoED, ToB, BoNS, etc). I think I have at least access to all of them.

As for Point buy, Yeah, OK you can roll or do a 32 point buy for stats.

22. - Top - End - #22

Zombie

The Dragon magazine had a couple years back, an ongoing thing where they took things from computor games and D&D'ed them up.
    One of those things were the Lifestones insipred by, I think, Asherons Call.

Basically an obelisk like stone, Can't be moved, but on occation teleports away from its homeplane for a week or so and right now it is just a few minutes walk from the tomb (what are the odds :D ).

Any sentient creature (int 3 and up) can attune themselves to the stone and if killed he will respawn at the stone at full health etc, except for 1)a temp negative level that goes away in an hour (might be a couple hours). Those negative levels do stack however they noted and 2) the item of highest value stays behind (use that or not).

When the week is up the stone teleports itself back to its homeplane and it can no longer be used by the players or anyone else in that reality. Note that the players might not be around for when the stone appears, perhaps it has only a day left.

Also fun to think of that not only PC's can use the stone...

23. - Top - End - #23

By "splat books" I mean anything that has the WOTC stamp on it's cover. basically any of the expansion books ( BoED, ToB, BoNS, etc). I think I have at least access to all of them.
    And that includes the Eberron or Forgotten Realms books?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, sure.

Just let me know which books are used.

25. - Top - End - #25

EvilClericGuy

Ok, first one (32 point and buy). HP is done at 3/4 HD every level, let me know if you want them to be rolled.

Mortimer Rivers (the name may be changed to protect the innocent )
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chaotic Neutral Male Human Rogue 10

Abilities:
    str-14
    dex-20
    con-16
    int-10
    wis-14
    cha-10

HP-76
    AC-21 (touch-17; flatfooted-17)

Saves:
    fort-6
    ref-12
    will-5

Base Attack- +7/+2 (grapple- +9)
    Initiative- +7
    Speed-30 ft.

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Initiative, Point-Blank Shot, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload

Special Abilities: Sneak Attack +5d6, trapfinding, Evasion, trap sense +3, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Improved Evasion

Skills: Hide +23, Move Silently +23, Spot +15, Listen +15, Search +13, Disable Device +13, Open Lock +18, Escape Artist +18, Use Magic Device +13

Gear: +1 Flaming Rapier, +1 Short Sword, +1 Flaming Light Crossbow, +2 Leather Armor, Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Ring of Protection +1, Gloves of Dexterity +2, Boots of Elvenkind, Cloak of Elvenkind, 810 GP

EDIT: This guy's core only. Feel free to tweak.
    Last edited by Woot Spitum; 2007-12-04 at 08:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I''d like to make a character, too, but first I'd like to add an idea.

One of my friends recently told me about a game called Paranoia, wherein everyone dies a whole bunch. The way they handle it is that every character has 6 clones, and every player brings a 6pack of some sort of beverage. When their character dies, they start drinking the beverage, and when they finish, their clone is teleported back into the group.

Just a thought. I'll get to working on that character...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Are flaws okay?

And what about XP used for item creation?
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2007-12-04 at 08:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Check out DM Tools, it's just what you need.

29. - Top - End - #29

Presenting Arca!

Spoiler
    Show
    Female Human Druid 10
    True Neutral

STR: 9
    DEX: 14
    CON: 15
    INT: 15
    WIS: 20
    CHA: 13

73 HP

SPEED: 30

AC: 23
    TAC: 12
    FFAC: 12

+2 to Initiative
    +9 Fort save
    +5 Ref save
    +12 Will save

Attack:6, Attack(Missile): 9, Grapple: 8

Languages: Common, Druidic, Elven, Dwarfish

Feats:
    Improved Unarmed Strike
    Natural Spell
    Assume Supernatural Ability
    Aberration Blood
    Aberration Wildshape

Skills: +1 to Balance, +1 to Climb, +13 to Concentration, +1 to Disable Device, +13 to Handle Animal, +13 to Heal, +2 to Jump, +6 to Knowledge(Dungeoneering), +13 to Listen, +2 to Search, +13 to Spot

6 cantrips, 6 first level, 5 second level, 4 third level, 4 fourth level, and 3 fifth level spells each day

Equipment:
    Wild Mountain Plate, Dragonhide Version
    Spell Component Pouch
    Druidic Focus
    Masterwork LongSpear
    Sling
    Rod of Extend
    Ring Of Blink
    Masterwork Tools of Handle Animal and Concentrate
    900 gp

Animal Companion: Black Bear
    45 HP
    Init: +2
    Spd: 40
    Ac: 18
    Attacks: 2 Claws +10 melee, Bite +5 melee
    Damage: 1d4+5 (claw); 1d6+2 (bite)
    Special Qualities: Scent
    Saves: Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +3
    Abilities: Str 21, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Climb +7; Listen +4; Spot +11; Swim +9
    Feat: Toughness, Evasion, Devotion
    Link, Share Spells
    Tricks: Track, Guard, Defend

Notes: I recommend the player of this sheet be allowed to purchase some sundries with his leftover cash, my DM just assumes you have a random selection of them.

To the Player: Enjoy! Your ability to shift into aberrations and take one of their supernatural abilities makes you extremely versatile - but don't go cheese, here, please. I set up your feats so you can go for improved grapple next feat gain. Your armor shifts with you, so no more worrying about AC when wildshaped! Take a look at the Monster Manual (all of them) and lords of madness for more shapeshift ideas. Have fun!

From Lords of Madness, Savage Species, Races of Stone.
    Last edited by streakster; 2007-12-09 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

30. - Top - End - #30

I'll be posting a warblade soon.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas