Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Apple Corer Optimization Challenge I

Sorry, confused about a ruling again

core weapons are banned

but

the weapon in question is originally printed in a dragon magazine article (earliest version I could find)

there's a specific magic weapon that was printed in arms and equipment (which was march 2003 so it was before the player handbook)

but the weapon was later reprinted in the players handbook (which was printed in july 2003)

is this weapon legal to use?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
    Sorry, confused about a ruling again

core weapons are banned

but

the weapon in question is originally printed in a dragon magazine article (earliest version I could find)

there's a specific magic weapon that was printed in arms and equipment (which was march 2003 so it was before the player handbook)

but the weapon was later reprinted in the players handbook (which was printed in july 2003)

is this weapon legal to use?
    The paraphrased rule is 'you may not select weapons that got their first 3.5 printing in a core book'. This is specifically to exclude feats that weren't in the 3.0 PHB, were in another 3.0 book, and then got printed in 3.5 core. Thus, the weapon is not legal.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #33

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Weapons and armor:
    -Although all the usual rules about item reliance still apply, it might be wise to inform judges of the weapons and armor you intend to be using, if any. Weapons and armor from non-core sources remain legal and obtainable, and should present a diverse array of options for the builders to make use of.
    So, does this mean we could use, for example, the Wildwood Breastplate, from Races of the Wild? It's clearly modeled after the PHB Breastplate, but it has a complete statblock right in the RotW book, so one wouldn't have to open the PHB to know how to use it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselGuy View Post
    So, does this mean we could use, for example, the Wildwood Breastplate, from Races of the Wild? It's clearly modeled after the PHB Breastplate, but it has a complete statblock right in the RotW book, so one wouldn't have to open the PHB to know how to use it...
    Whether it is 'clearly modeled' after a PHB item sounds like a very subjective judgement that I'm in no place to make. The PHB doesn't give the stats of a 'wildwood breastplate', RotW does, so you can use it; simple as that.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #35

Whether it is 'clearly modeled' after a PHB item sounds like a very subjective judgement that I'm in no place to make. The PHB doesn't give the stats of a 'wildwood breastplate', RotW does, so you can use it; simple as that.
    Each suit of armor described on Table 7–2 represents an existing kind of armor from the Player’s Handbook with a special material used in its creation.
    Races of the Wild, page 167
    Last edited by SirNibbles; 2023-02-28 at 05:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    Each suit of armor described on Table 7–2 represents an existing kind of armor from the Player’s Handbook with a special material used in its creation.
    Races of the Wild, page 167
    Still seems fine. I'll probably drop the armor and weapons restriction for the next round anyway (it's causing by far the most headaches out of any of the rules), if you got a full set of stats for legally-not-breastplates I'm not going to make a hard rule forbidding them.

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #37

Still seems fine. I'll probably drop the armor and weapons restriction for the next round anyway (it's causing by far the most headaches out of any of the rules), if you got a full set of stats for legally-not-breastplates I'm not going to make a hard rule forbidding them.
    I agree that the armor and weapons rules made it tough to even get a build started.

Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.
    Player's Handbook, page 118

This means that every medium and heavy armor in the game- unless specified otherwise- comes with an illegal weapon (thus making the armor itself illegal?) I didn't even bother discussing Unarmed Strike, which everyone has (but can't use per the rules), or Natural Weapons such as bites and slams.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Which does actually allow for some interesting feat qualifications which require Natural Attacks but can be used without having them.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I don't like soulknives, but this one might just be the xeph-tion!

Quote Originally Posted by Ermak

CG Xeph Hidden Talent Bonus Feats Soulknife 6/Elf Soulborn 3/Tribal Protector 2/Champion of Corellon Larethian 9

Ermak is a xeph who lives in the nomadic tribe traveling through the endless steppes of the east. Their greatest threat always was orcs Gruumsh worshipers from the same steppes. But apart from them these xephs are welcome to any guests, even other orcs.
    Ermak found an injured elf in the steppe once. This elf was the champion of Corellon Larethian and while he lived in the tribe he taught young Ermak some exclusive elven tricks in gratitude for saving your life.
    Few years later Ermak was forced to become a protector of his own people. It was a hard time, orcs assaulted xephs' tribe with great cruelty and many men died, but everything that has a beginning also has an ending. One day a squad of champions of Corellon Larethian came to the aid of the suffered tribe. When orcs were pushed back elves left xephs, but Ermak went with them - he wanted to become one of elven god champions.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Abilities Initial Race/Template 4th 8th 12th 16th 20th Total
    STR 14 -2 1 1 14
    DEX 15 2 1 1 1 20
    CON 14 14
    INT 14 14
    WIS 8 8
    CHA 14 14

Spoiler: Build
    Show
    Level Class BAB Fort Reflex Will Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Hidden Talent Soulknife 1 0 0 2 2 24: {+4} Autohypnosis: 4; {+4 CC} Diplomacy: 2; {+4 CC} Knowledge (religion): 2; {+4 CC} Survival: 2; {+4 CC} Truespeak: 2; {+4} Tumble: 4; Lightning Fists (1), Hidden Talent (Force Screen) (B) Mind blade, Weapon Focus (mind blade), Hidden Talent
    2nd Elf Soulborn 1 1 2 2 2 4: Autohypnosis: 4; {+1 CC} Diplomacy: 2.5; Knowledge (religion): 2; {+1 CC} Survival: 2.5; {+1 CC} Truespeak: 2.5; {+1} Tumble: 5; Aura, smite opposition 1/day
    3rd Elf Soulborn 2 2 3 2 2 4: Autohypnosis: 4; {+1 CC} Diplomacy: 3; Knowledge (religion): 2; {+1 CC} Survival: 3; {+1 CC} Truespeak: 3; {+1} Tumble: 6; Martial Study (Claw at the Moon) (3) Incarnum defense
    4th Soulknife 2 3 3 3 3 6: {+2} Autohypnosis: 6; {+1 CC} Diplomacy: 3.5; Knowledge (religion): 2; {+1 CC} Survival: 3.5; {+1 CC} Truespeak: 3.5; {+1} Tumble: 7; Throw mind blade
    5th Soulborn 3 4 3 4 4 4: Autohypnosis: 6; {+1 CC} Diplomacy: 4; Knowledge (religion): 2; {+1 CC} Survival: 4; {+1 CC} Truespeak: 4; {+1} Tumble: 8; Midnight Dodge (B) Bonus feat
    6th Bonus Feats Soulknife 3 5 4 4 4 10: {+2} Autohypnosis: 8; Diplomacy: 4; {+2} Jump: 2; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+5} Truespeak: 9; {+1} Tumble: 9; Truename Training (6), Martial Stance (Blood in the Water) (B) Bonus feat
    7th Soulknife 4 6 5 4 4 6: {+2} Autohypnosis: 10; Diplomacy: 4; {+2} Jump: 4; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 10; {+1} Tumble: 10; +1 mind blade
    8th Soulknife 5 6 5 4 4 6: {+1} Autohypnosis: 11; Diplomacy: 4; {+3} Jump: 7; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 11; {+1} Tumble: 11; Free draw, shape mind blade
    9th Soulknife 6 7 6 5 5 6: {+1} Autohypnosis: 12; Diplomacy: 4; {+3} Jump: 10; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 12; {+1} Tumble: 12; Elusive Target (9), Speed of Thought (B), Word Given Form (MA) Mind blade enhancement +1, Speed of Thought
    10th Tribal Protector 1 8 8 7 5 6: Autohypnosis: 12; Diplomacy: 4; {+4} Intimidate: 4; {+1} Jump: 11; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 13; Tumble: 12; Melee Weapon Mastery (slashing) (B) Bonus feat, tribal enemy, homeland
    11th Tribal Protector 2 9 9 8 5 6: Autohypnosis: 12; Diplomacy: 4; {+3} Intimidate: 7; Jump: 11; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 14; Tumble: 12; {+2} Back on Your Feet; Wild fighting
    12th Champion of Corellon Larethian 1 10 11 8 7 4: Autohypnosis: 12; {+1} Diplomacy: 5; Intimidate: 7; {+2} Jump: 13; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 15; Tumble: 12; Back on Your Feet; Resounding Blow (12), Mighty are Fallen (B) Corellon’s blessing, bonus feat
    13th Champion of Corellon Larethian 2 11 12 8 8 4: Autohypnosis: 12; {+1} Diplomacy: 6; Intimidate: 7; {+2} Jump: 15; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 16; Tumble: 12; Back on Your Feet; Elegant strike
    14th Champion of Corellon Larethian 3 12 12 9 8 4: Autohypnosis: 12; {+1} Diplomacy: 7; Intimidate: 7; {+2} Jump: 17; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 17; Tumble: 12; Back on Your Feet; Superior defense +1
    15th Champion of Corellon Larethian 4 13 13 9 9 4: Autohypnosis: 12; Diplomacy: 7; Intimidate: 7; {+1} Jump: 18; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 18; Tumble: 12; {+2} Nimble Stand, Back on Your Feet; Dwarven Armor Proficiency (15), Deceptive Dodge (B) Bonus feat
    16th Champion of Corellon Larethian 5 14 13 9 9 4: Autohypnosis: 12; {+2} Diplomacy: 9; Intimidate: 7; {+1} Jump: 19; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 19; Tumble: 12; Nimble Stand, Back on Your Feet; Unimpeded movement
    17th Champion of Corellon Larethian 6 15 14 10 10 4: Autohypnosis: 12; {+2} Diplomacy: 11; Intimidate: 7; {+1} Jump: 20; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 20; Tumble: 12; Nimble Stand, Back on Your Feet; Superior defense +2
    18th Champion of Corellon Larethian 7 16 14 10 10 4: Autohypnosis: 12; {+2} Diplomacy: 13; Intimidate: 7; {+1} Jump: 21; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 21; Tumble: 12; Nimble Stand, Back on Your Feet; Weapon Supremacy (mind blade) (18), Melee Evasion (B) Bonus feat
    19th Champion of Corellon Larethian 8 17 15 10 11 4: Autohypnosis: 12; {+2} Diplomacy: 15; Intimidate: 7; {+1} Jump: 22; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 22; Tumble: 12; Nimble Stand, Back on Your Feet; Corellon’s wrath
    20th Champion of Corellon Larethian 9 18 15 11 11 4: Autohypnosis: 12; {+2} Diplomacy: 17; Intimidate: 7; {+1} Jump: 23; Knowledge (religion): 2; Survival: 4; {+1} Truespeak: 23; Tumble: 12; Nimble Stand, Back on Your Feet; Superior defense +3
    B - bonus feats
    MA - Martial Art

Spoiler: ECL 6
    Show
    Soulknife 3/Soulborn 3. Not bad attack bonus, potentially good AC with heavy armor and psionic version of shield, immunity to charms and paralysis. Up to three attacks per round during active Blood in the Water stance. Nothing mind-blowing, but good enough.

Spoiler: ECL 11
    Show
    Soulknife 6/Soulborn 3/Tribal Protector 2. More numbers, but not only numbers. Now Ermak has some good synergies.
    Midnight Dodge and Word Given Form is cool protection against any one opponent. Elusive Target also improves this combo.
    Wild fighting gives another attack in addition to the existing four.
    Mind blade enhancement opens Keen which synergy with number of attacks and Blood in the Water stance.
    Melee Weapon Mastery, mind blade's enchantment +1 and smite increase chance to hit and damage before Blood in the Water will yield enough power.

Spoiler: ECL 16 (Sweet spot)
    Show
    Soulknife 6/Soulborn 3/Tribal Protector 2/Champion of Corellon Larethian 5. Unimpeded movement is the poor gold. With it variety of Dwarven Armors became more more useful for Ermak. It not only remove speed reduction, but through this lets Ermak use his Tumble skill. Elegant strike now adds +5 damage to each of six Ermak's attacks. Corellon’s blessing is extra 10 hp, it isn't big number, but also isn't excessive. Superior defense still doesn't work at its full potential, but already synergies with Dwarven Armors. Bonus feats selections isn't great with this competition limitations, but thanks for Midnight Dodge I found some useful options.
    Resounding Blow is one of the few remaining feats with rider effect for crit fishers.

Spoiler: ECL 20
    Show
    Soulknife 6/Soulborn 3/Tribal Protector 2/Champion of Corellon Larethian 9. One more bonus feat, this specific isn't so useful for heavy armored Ermak, but it at least could work, for example against touch attacks. Touch AC doesn't look very high (about 16-17 only). Corellon’s wrath improves all, now seven, attacks five rounds per day. Superior defense lets Ermak use all or almost all his Dex for AC now. Weapon Supremacy is must-have feat for every weapon user in Apple Corer format. +5 on a single attack every round is cool, take 10 on one attack per round is good for crit confirmation. With seven attacks per full attack I know if this is enough. +1 AC and ability to use my weapon in grapple also are cool features.

Spoiler: Items I want
    Show
    First - Armor. I want a Mithral Battle plate (Races of Stone, p. 155). It is on of the best option with my +5 Dex mod. If I can't find Mithral, but find enough Str improvements I could use Entropium armor (Arms and Equipment Guide, p. 20) to get the same AC and max Dex, but this material doesn't change armor type (heavy armor is still heavy) and Speed of Thought unfortunately shouldn't work, however it looks reasonable to let it work anyway because Unimpeded movement allows Spring Attack work as example (of course RAW it the sole feat rule, but iirc there just aren't another suitable feats in the PHB).
    I still need some Str improvements (at least +2) to use Mithral Battle plate without encumbering. If I didn't manage to find any I'll use Mithral Interlocking plate (Races of Stone, p. 155). It gives one less AC and max Dex, but also gives +2 AC if I don't move more than 5 feet in a round and max Dex +5 is enough with my Dexterity.
    Another armor material option is Elven Darkleaf (Arms and Equipment Guide, p. 19). It's the almost direct analogue of Mithral with one less max Dex and without weight reduction for some reason.
    Of course if it is possible I want enchanted armor.
    Shield. I want a beetle buckler (Arms and Equipment Guide, p. 14). It gives +2 AC while my Force Screen is inactive or gives the effect of Deflect Arrows while it works or the main threat is ranged attacks.

In addition any Dexterity or other stats improvements, cognizance crystals, psionic tattoos of metaphysical weapon will be welcome.

Spoiler: Controversials
    Show
    1) Midnight Dodge instead of regular Dodge. It's clear by RAI it should work with feats and abilities which have wording like "your Dodge target" or "specific foe to be affected by your Dodge feat," but by RAW it isn't. I hope you agree with my understanding.
    2) Mind blade and Elegant strike. Mind blade has wordings "The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a short sword..." and "As full-round action, he [soulknife] can change his mind blade to replicate a longsword..." This means beginning from 8th level Ermak has his own longsword despite competition limitations, because it isn't actually longsword, but only a weapon "identical in all ways" to it. And I could get all mechanical information about how it works (damage, crit range, etc.) from XPH only, without opening PHB.
    3) Keen. Yes, it's from DMG, but competition limitations don't include magical items. I asked the chairman.
    4) Elf substitution levels. There is wording "To qualify to take a racial substitution level, you must be of the proper race." (Races of the Wild, p. 154) While there is no word "prerequisite," it definitely is a requirement, so according to competition rules it should be dropped.
    5) Lightning Fists. While it can be debatable about the interaction of this feat and the monk's weapon by RAI, the text is unambiguous - "You can make two extra attacks in a round." without any weapon restrictions or limitations.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Type Name Book Page
    Race Xeph Expanded Psionics Handbook 16
    Class Soulborn Magic of Incarnum 25
    Class Soulknife Expanded Psionics Handbook 26
    Prestige Class Tribal Protector Sword and Fist 35
    Prestige Class Champion of Corellon Larethian Races of the Wild 113
    ACF Hidden Talent Expanded Classes, Part One link
    ACF Bonus Feats Expanded Classes, Part One link
    Substitution level Elf Soulborn Magic of Incarnum 45
    Feat Lightning Fists Sword and Fist 7
    Feat Hidden Talent Expanded Psionics Handbook 67
    Feat Martial Study Tome of Battle 31
    Feat Midnight Dodge Magic of Incarnum 39
    Feat Truename Training Tome of Magic 229
    Feat Martial Stance Tome of Battle 31
    Feat Elusive Target Complete Warrior 110
    Feat Speed of Thought Expanded Psionics Handbook 51
    Feat Melee Weapon Mastery PHBII 81
    Feat Resounding Blow Book of Exalted Deeds 45
    Feat Mighty are Fallen Dragon Compendium 102
    Feat Dwarven Armor Proficiency Races of Stone 138
    Feat Deceptive Dodge Dragon Compendium 95
    Feat Weapon Supremacy PHBII 85
    Feat Melee Evasion PHBII 81
    Martial Art Word Given Form Tome of Magic 218
    Power Force Screen Expanded Psionics Handbook 108
    Maneuver Claw at the Moon Tome of Battle 86
    Stance Blood in the Water Tome of Battle 86
    Skill Trick Nimble Stand Complete Scoundrel 88
    Skill Trick Back on Your Feet Complete Scoundrel 85
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2023-03-12 at 06:54 AM.

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

The scary shapeshifting samurai and his sizing steelsword!

Quote Originally Posted by The Outcast
    The Outcast

Spoiler: background
    Show
    This changeling has pretended to be a half-orc for so long he's forgotten that he truly is a changeling. He was accepted into a house, raised as one of their own and trained to fight as they do but he always knew he was different.

When they found out he was shamed and turned away from the clan. Afraid for his life, the changeling perfected his skill at morphing, became a ronin and fled until he was found by a champion of Corellon Larethian who helped him escape from his pursuers.

Grateful, the changeling brought his skill and knowledge to the cause of Larethian and vowed to defend elves everywhere from orcs and their ilk.

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show
    Ability Scores
    STR 16 (+4 from levels, +4 from classes)
    DEX 14
    CON 14 (+4 from classes)
    INT 12
    WIS 8
    CHA 14 (+1 at level 4 for imperious command)

Spoiler: Equipment
    Show

Weapon : Ancestral Daisho Steelsword,Chondathan

An oriental Samurai has 2 suggested alternate weapons : a longsword or a scimitar. Since longswords work with elegant strike it's obvioulsy the best choice. Although longswords from the PHB are prohibited, the Chondathan Steelsword counts as a longsword. Depending on the level the sword will have specific enchantments gained through Ancestral Daisho.

-valorous, collision, morphing,wrathful healing, sudden stunning

Shield: Since regular shields and shield spikes are prohibited, I'm using a riding shield with razors (same as shield spikes but deals slashing damage). Through the ancestral relic it will gain specific enchantments too.

-fearsome (razors), flying, sizing

Armor: With 14 DEX and a +6 to DEX item I can use +5 DEX maximum. 3 is provided by levels in Champion of Corellon Larethian. The great armor found in oriental adventures gives you +7 to armor with a +2 DEX bonus. In this case any old armor will do so listing a specific material or template is pointless.

other: Ideally you'd want a belt of magnificience since you tend to use most of your stats but it's not strickly necessary

Spoiler: maneuvers and stances
    Show
    -moment of perfect mind from martial study
    -aura of perfect order stance (always useful)
    -daunting strike (yet another way to scare someone)
    -rallying strike (healing)
    -entangling blade (can be useful)
    -foehammer (requirement for others, ignore DR)

Spoiler: Level breakdowns
    Show
    Level 1-4
    -You're a typical warrior class with a decent ability to intimidate
    -you can use your concentration check to negate 1 will save per encounter
    -you can customize your sword to give it the valorous enchantment fairly early
    -you can rage if necessary (though you can't use moment of perfect mind while in a rage)

Level 5-12

-you get never outnumbered which you can combine with your shield (which has a fearsome enchantment) for great effect
    -you're immune to crits, and you have extended reach
    -your STR score is quite high and so is your CON score
    -you can give your sword a crystal of return to let you trigger a iaijutsu focus when you catch your opponents flat footed through marbles, you have balance 5 which lets you use marbles
    -headlong rush makes you a fearsome charger with banzai charge and your valorous enchantment
    -you can morph your weapon into a spiked helmet which your extended reach lets your use despite it's 0ft reach, giving you another charge multiplier when it's useful to have one (sometimes you might be better off using the sword in it's sword form depending on the enemy)

Level 13-19

-your shield should have the flying and sizing enchants, letting it become a gargantuan animated object at your command (with 22 hardness), which makes for a great flanking buddy
    -the shield can also carry the entire party and is a tireless flyer
    -you can jump off your flying shield using roofjumper for a hefty bonus to damage
    -you can dump marbles on the ground while flying on your shield to make your opponents flat-footed, letting you demolish them with a craven roof jumper banzai headlong rush iaijutsu focus charge
    -the wrathful healing enchant (on your sword) should negate any fall damage you take from roof jumper
    -intimidating rage combines just as well with the previous intimidate tactitcs

Level 20

-Stance of perfect order lets you take 11 on any roll once per round (moment of perfect mind, iaijutsu focus, intimidate, saves, jump, tumble, all around super useful)
    -you have a way to heal everybody (maneuver)
    -you gain another way to scare someone (maneuver)
    -you gain a way to entangle someone

Spoiler: how this uses the ingredient
    Show

How this uses Champion of Corellon Larethian

-elegant strike works with a longsword and is multiplied on a charge through headlong rush and the valorous enchantment
    -the armor bonuses help you use great armor effectively
    -the bonus feats provide a death from above option (roof jumper) and
    chink in the armor helps you to set that up
    -sidestep charge can be useful into keeping you alive

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Oriental Adventure
    Complete Warrior (Ronin, warshaper)
    Champions of Ruin (Craven)
    Races of Faerun (spiked helmet, chondatan steelsword)
    Races of the wild (Champion of Corellon Larethian)
    Races of eberron (Changeling, racial emulation)
    Unearthed Arcana (half orc paragon)
    Underdark (razored shield)
    Song and Silence (chink in the armor)
    Tome of Battle (crusader, maneuver and stances)
    DMGII (weapon and armor enchants)
    PHBII (weapon and armor enchants, feats)

Spoiler: Progression Table
    Show
    Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Oriental Adventure Samurai +1 +2 +0 +2 Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +4,
    Intimidate +4,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Racial Emulation Ancestral daisho: Steelsword Chondathan
    2nd Half-Orc Paragon +2 +4 +0 +2 Balance +2,
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +5,
    Intimidate +5,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Divided ancestry, monstrous mien
    3rd Half-Orc Paragon +3 +5 +0 +2 Balance +2,
    Concentration +5
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +5,
    Intimidate +5,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Martial Study: Moment of Perfect Mind Rage 1/day
    4th Crusader +4 +5 +1 +3 Balance +5,
    Concentration +6
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +6,
    Intimidate +7,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Furious counterstrike, steely resolve 5
    5th Warshaper +4 +7 +1 +3 Balance +5,
    Concentration +6
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +6,
    Intimidate +8,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Skill trick: never outnumbered Morphic immunities, morphic weapons
    6th Warshaper +5 +7 +1 +3 Balance +5,
    Concentration +8
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +6,
    Intimidate +9,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Headlong Rush Morphic body
    7th Warshaper +6 +7 +2 +4 Balance +5,
    Concentration +10
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +6,
    Intimidate +10,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Morphic reach
    8th Ronin +7 +9 +2 +4 Balance +5,
    Concentration +10
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +7,
    Intimidate +11,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Infamy, sneak attack +1d6
    9th Ronin +8 +10 +2 +4 Balance +5,
    Concentration +10
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +8,
    Intimidate +12,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Ancestral Relic : dwarvencraft adamantine razored riding shield Banzai charge
    10th Champion of Corellon Larethian +9 +12 +2 +6 Balance +5,
    Concentration +10
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +9,
    Intimidate +13,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Corellon's blessing, bonus feat: Roofwalker
    11th Champion of Corellon Larethian +10 +13 +2 +7 Balance +5,
    Concentration +10
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +10,
    Intimidate +14,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Elegant strike
    12th Champion of Corellon Larethian +11 +13 +3 +7 Balance +5,
    Concentration +12
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +10,
    Intimidate +15,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Craven Superior defense +1
    13th Champion of Corellon Larethian +12 +14 +3 +8 Balance +5,
    Concentration +14
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +10,
    Intimidate +16,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Bonus feat: Roof-Jumper
    14th Champion of Corellon Larethian +13 +14 +3 +8 Balance +5,
    Concentration +16
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +10,
    Intimidate +17,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Unimpeded movement
    15th Champion of Corellon Larethian +14 +15 +4 +9 Balance +5,
    Concentration +18,
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +10,
    Intimidate +18,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Imperious Command Superior defense +2
    16th Champion of Corellon Larethian +15 +15 +4 +9 Balance +5,
    Concentration +18,
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +11,
    Intimidate +19,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Bonus feat: Chink in the armor
    17th Champion of Corellon Larethian +16 +16 +4 +10 Balance +5,
    Concentration +20,
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +11,
    Intimidate +20,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Corellon's wrath
    18th Champion of Corellon Larethian +17 +16 +5 +10 Balance +5,
    Concentration +20,
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +12,
    Intimidate +21,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Intimidating rage Superior defense +3
    19th Champion of Corellon Larethian +18 +17 +5 +11 Balance +5,
    Concentration +22,
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +12,
    Intimidate +22,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Bonus feat: Sidestep Charge
    20th Crusader +19 +19 +5 +11 Balance +5,
    Concentration +23,
    Diplomacy +4,
    Iaijutsu Focus +12,
    Intimidate +23,
    Jump +4,
    Knowledge Religion +2
    Indomitable soul
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2023-03-12 at 06:54 AM.

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a concept and running with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla
    Ayla: Neutral good Star elf; Scout5, wildrunner2, Fist of the forest 1, dervish5, Champion of corellon Larethian8
    Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show
    Str10, Dex16, Con16, int12, wis10,cha12 Put first increase in int, all others in dex Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    The raid had been routine: Charge in, Slay some villagers, burn the hammock, take the loot. Al in a days work for Brock and his Orcs. But then she had appeared out of nowwhere. Closing the distance in the blink of an eye, Wielding a sword as slender as she was. Both her and the sword moving at a speed brock had never seen before, never standing still, always attacking. He'd call it dancing if she wasn't so deadly. The only thing keeping him from running for his life was the knowledge that he would never get far.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayla hid in the shrubbery marking the border between her terphouse and the swamp. Inside she could hear her farther shouting, cursing. There were empty bottles on the porch, most of them broken. He was drunk…, again…. Ayla's mind wondered back to the happy times she had playing with her mom and dad on that lawn before her, swimming in the many ponds, learning all about the wildlife around her. That was only a year ago, but before her mother died though. Her dad had never been the same since. Ayla felt like she lost both her parents that day. She slung the freshly caught fish over her shoulder, and turned back into the swamp. A tear rolled down her cheek. 'Not sure where he got the booze from this time, but It'll eventually run out, I'll return to check on him then.' she thought. Maybe that hermit across the swamp can stomach some company for a few days.

Spoiler: Build
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st scout +0 (0) +0 (0) +2 (2) +0 (0) balance4, hide4, kn nature4, listen4, move silently4, Ride4, Spot4, survival4, tumble4 militia(lvl1) Skirmish (+1d6), trapfinding
    2nd scout +1 (1) +0 (0) +1 (3) +0 (0) balance1, hide1, kn nature1, listen1, move silently1, Ride1, Spot1, survival1, tumble1 Battle Fortitude +1, uncanny dodge
    3rd scout +1 (2) +1 (1) +0 (3) +1 (1) diplomacy2, hide1, listen1, move silently1, perform(dance)2, survival1, tumble1 improved weapon familiarity(lvl3) Fast movement +10ft, skirmish (+1d6, +1AC), trackless step
    4th scout +1 (3) +0 (1) +1 (4) +0 (1) diplomacy2, hide1, listen1, move silently1, perform(dance)2, survival1, tumble1 Danger Sense (sc4) Bonus feat
    5th scout +0 (3) +0 (1) +0 (4) +0 (1) diplomacy2, hide1, listen1, move silently1, perform(dance)2, survival1, tumble1 Evasion, skirmish (+2d6, +1AC)
    6th wildrunner +1 (4) +2 (3) +2 (6) +0 (1) handle animal4, spot1 improved skirmish Fast movement, trackless step
    7th wildrunner +1 (5) +1 (4) +1 (7) +0 (1) diplomacy2, kn religion2, spot1 Primal scream, scent
    8th fist of the forest +1 (6) +2 (6) +2 (9) +0 (1) kn religion2, spot 1 AC Bonus, Feral trance 1/day, Fast movement, primal living
    9th Dervish +1 (7) +0 (6) +2 (11) +2 (3) perform(dance)5 travel devotion(lvl9) Dervish dance 1/day, movement mastery, slashing blades
    710th CoCL +1 (8) +2 (8) +0 (11) +2 (5) handle animal1, skill trick2(collector of stories) Shadowborn warrior (CoCL1) Corellon's blessing, bonus feat
    11th CoCL +1 (9) +1 (9) +0 (11) +1 (6) kn arcana3 Elegant strike
    12th CoCL +1 (10) +0 (9) +1 (12) +0 (6) kn arch&eng3 Tactile trapsmith(lvl12) Superior defense +1
    13th CoCL +1 (11) +1 (10) +0 (12) +1 (7) kn planes3 Mighty are Fallen(CoCL4) Bonus feat
    14th CoCL +1 (12) +0 (10) +0 (12) +0 (7) kn nature3 Unimpeded movement
    15th CoCL +1 (13) +1 (11) +1 (13) +1 (8) kn dungeoneering3 travel devotion(lvl15) Superior defense +2
    16th CoCL +1 (14) +0 (11) +0 (13) +0 (8) kn religion3 surprising riposte (CoCL7) Bonus feat
    17th CoCL +1 (15) +1 (12) +0 (13) +1 (9) kn arcana3 Corellon's wrath
    18th Dervish +1 (16) +0 (12) +1 (14) +1 (10) tumble5 Slashing flurry(lvl18) Fast movement +5 ft.
    19th Dervish +1 (17) +1 (13) +0 (14) +0 (10) perform(dance)5 dervish dance 2/day
    20th Dervish +1 (18) +0 (13) +1 (15) +1 (11) tumble5

Spoiler: Snapshots
    Show
    Spoiler: Level 5
    Show
    Ayla uses her good perception skills and initiative (danger sense) to start encounters from a distance. Fast movement helps her keep that distance, and skirmish guarantees a decent damage output. Martial weapon proficieny means she can use an Atlatl at range as a good non core weapon. If she does end up in Melee, weapon familiarity means she can wield her Elven courtblade (after having started out with a heavy sickle). Defensively she's restricted to light armor, but she complements that with a good dex, and fast movement to stay/get out of trouble if needed. Summary: Speed: 40ft. AC 17 (assuming +3 wildwood chainshirt and +1 skirmish). Ranged attack: +6 Atlatl spear: 1d4+2d6skirmish

Spoiler: Level 10
    Show
    A lot has happened in the last 5 levels. Between primal scream and feral trance, Ayla has picked up 2 dex boosts. She also picked up 20 extra feat of fast movement. Damage output got boosted with an extra 2d6 extra skirmish damage from improved skirmish. Travel devotion means she can now move and full attack from range, fully taking advantage of her improved skirmish. The level of dervish really brings out her melee capabilities as well: Dervish dance means she can combine her full attack with moving her (impressive) movespeed, triggering her skirmish damage on her courtblade as well. 8 ranks in tumble, a dex that can be boosted to 26 and the ability to always take 10 on tumble checks means she can tumble through threatened squares without provoking AoO's. the +1 AC bonus and +1 to attack and damage in a dance are just gravy. We have also just gotten our first level of CoCL, giving us a nice bonus feat. The real gravy of this class, our impressive dex to damage, will have to wait for another level though. Defensively she gets CON (+3) to AC when unarmored. This beats all but the most expensive of light armors, and poses no limit on Dex to AC, which fully boosted comes out to an impressive +8. Primal living means she has to sleep outdoors and 'live of the land'. Ayla has 8 ranks in survival and gets a +2 synergy from kn nature, so the DC10 survival check to feed herself is an auto-succes. Ayla could really benefit from weapon finesse at this point. With that being unobtainable, she would REALLY benefit from a feycraft weapon (essentially doing the same thing). Which is (apart from needing weapons) really her only item dependence throughout the build. Summary: Speed 60ft. AC 17(22boosted) (assuming +1 skirmish, unarmored). Ranged attack: +11/+6(+16/+11boosted) Atlatl spear: 1d4+4d6 imp. skirmish. Melee: +11/+6(+18/+13boosted) Elven Courtblade: 1d10+4d6 imp.+0(+2boosted) skirmish (assuming feycraft Elven Courtblade)

Spoiler: Level 15
    Show
    Ayla's gained 5 levels of CoCl. Giving her a whole new set of skills that weren't available to her before. Pickup up a veriaty of knowledge skills and 'collector of stories' to help size up opponents. Tactile trapsmith provides yet another use for her impressive dex scores, but of course the best feature from these levels by far: dex to damage from elegant strike. perfectly complementing her impressive movement speed and full attack capabilities. Defensively 'mighty are fallen' provides an extra boost vs power attacks, and she's picked up an extra travel devotion. I think level 11 where we pick up elegant strike is really where this build brings everyting together. Summary: Speed 60ft. AC 18(23boosted) (assuming +1 skirmish, unarmored). Ranged attack: +17/+12+7(+22/+17/+12boosted) Atlatl spear: 1d4+4d6 imp. skirmish. Melee: +17/+12+7(+24/+19/+14boosted) Elven Courtblade: 1d10+4(+11 boosted)+4d6 imp. skirmish (assuming feycraft Elven Courtblade)

Spoiler: Level 20
    Show
    Ayla hits CoCL8, For her final damage boost in corellon's wrath which she can use one additional attack per round with Slashing flurry. Also: a second use of dervish dance never hurts. Summary: Speed 65ft. AC 18(23boosted) (assuming +1 skirmish, unarmored). Ranged attack: +22/+17+12+7(+27+22/+17/+12boosted) Atlatl spear: 1d4+4d6 imp. skirmish. Melee: +22/+17/+12+7(+32/+27/+22/+17boosted) Elven Courtblade: 1d10+4(+12 boosted)+4d6 imp. skirmish (+2d6Boosted) (assuming feycraft Elven Courtblade)

Spoiler: Discussion
    Show
    The build would really benefit from a dex boosting race. I was unable to find an elf race within the current rules to satisfy this requirement. So I had to settle with star elf. I have considered just eating the non-proficiency penalty on the courtblade to go for a lesser thiefling. the +4 dex and small size would mean Ayla would only effectively be down -1 on 'to hit' with the courtblade whilst boosing her ranged attacks and all her damage output. I think it's mechanically better, but I just don't think it's very elegant.
    The build can work pretty much without being dependent on specific items although obviously our selection of useable melee weapons is limited by CoCL itself. In addition this build could REALLY benefit from the 'feycraft' weapon property to get dex on 'to hit' in melee, replacing the weapon finesse one would normally take in this build. Having said that: As any melee build Ayla could really benefit from a whole range of stat boosts. CON would boost both hitpoints and AC, DEX would boost AC, To Hit and damage. So they would be the primary stats to boost through items.
    The build does get both a bite (and claw) attacks when boosted by feral trance/primal scream. I have not statted/mentioned those in the build. The claws are useless if we're wielding a weapon. The bite could actually be added as an extra attack If the rules allow this. By the time we get it, the damage would be marginal though (as dex to damage doesn't apply here)
    I found it challenging to find suitable candidates for the COCL bonus feats. Surprising riposte in particular, but basically all CoCL bonus feats are rather underwhelming/situational, but it's the best/only feats available that acutally do anything for Ayla outside core. At first sight there's a lot of 'non-core' feats that are suitable, but most of them require the use of core feats. So even though the core feats are waived as pre-reqs, they still restrict the use of selectable feats (combat defence (PH2) is a good example). We've started with a 12 in INT and upgraded it to 13, only to qualify for enough feats to complete the build.

Spoiler: Sources used
    Show
    Unapproachable east (Star elf)
    Complete adventurer(scout, danger Sense, tactile trapsmith)
    races of the wild (wildrunner, Champion of Corellon Larethian, elven courtblade, wildwood chainshirt)
    complete champion (fist of the forest, travel devotion)
    complete warrior (Dervish, improved weapon familiarity)
    Players guide to faerun (militia)
    complete scoundrel(improved skirmish, skill tricks)
    Drow of the Underdark (Shadowborn warrior, surprising reposte)
    Dragon compendium(mighty are fallen)
    PHII (slashing flurry)
    Sandstorm (Atlatl)
    Planar handbook (heavy sickle)

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

And that's all! Three builds; any prospective judges won't have too much work on their plate.

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Scoring table:

Entrant Race Build Score
    Ermak Xeph Soulknife 6/Soulborn 3/Tribal Protector 2/Champion of Corellon Larethian 9
    The Outcast Changeling OA Samurai 1/Half-Orc Paragon 2/Crusader 1/Warshaper 3/Ronin 2/Champion of Corellon Larethian 10/Crusader +1
    Ayla Star Elf Scout 5/Wildrunner 2/Fist of the Forest 1/Dervish 4/Champion of Corellon Larethian 8

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

So I had a lot of trouble getting this to work, let alone to a standard I thought worth submitting. What I could get to work felt too obvious and boring. If it wasn't obvious and boring, I wasn't taking advantage of COCL's abilities or I didn't reach a level of damage per round that I felt acceptable.

Star Elf (or Changeling + Racial Emulation) + Improved Weapon Familiarity + Crusader 14 + Champion of Corellon Larethian 6 was probably the nicest build I came up with. 9th-level manoeuvres, BAB 20, our prestige class gives us some nice feats, dex to damage, and full movement in heavy armor. But initiators are overused in comps and I felt it too obvious and boring to write up a build for, let alone ask someone to judge.

The other two ways I found to get proficiency with an elven weapon was Master of Masks and Royal Explorer. But their skill point requirements were really messy for any classes I wanted to use, even when I was willing to take a feat to fix my class skills.

However, it looks like we have some interesting builds here. Good luck to everyone who entered.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    The other two ways I found to get proficiency with an elven weapon was Master of Masks and Royal Explorer. But their skill point requirements were really messy for any classes I wanted to use, even when I was willing to take a feat to fix my class skills.
    Also Binder 11.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Also Binder 11.
    Which vestige gives that? I can see Eligor gives heavy armor proficiency and no extra weapon proficiencies, and Marchosias doesn't give any weapon proficiencies either.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Which vestige gives that? I can see Eligor gives heavy armor proficiency and no extra weapon proficiencies, and Marchosias doesn't give any weapon proficiencies either.
    One of psionic vestiges from web.
    Upd: it's Triad
    Last edited by loky1109; 2023-03-12 at 05:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

One of psionic vestiges from web.
    Upd: it's Triad
    Nice find. I'll have to add that to the weapon proficiency thread. Triad is a 6th-level vestige so it comes online at level 12 (10 with Improved Binding feat).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

Nice find. I'll have to add that to the weapon proficiency thread. Triad is a 6th-level vestige so it comes online at level 12 (10 with Improved Binding feat).
    Yeah, I was thinking of building a Binder 10/Champion 10, utilizing the Improved Binding feat for a very clean build. I got distracted by other stuff, though, so I never made the character.
    Hello hello!! I like 3x nonsense and cats~!!!! >:3

I somehow managed silver in Monster Mash V and Iron Chef CXXV, and bronze in Monster Mash VI!!!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frostmoon View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of building a Binder 10/Champion 10, utilizing the Improved Binding feat for a very clean build. I got distracted by other stuff, though, so I never made the character.
    I thought about that, too, but I flyed in another country for vacation and couldn't make a second entry.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Triad is a 6th-level vestige so it comes online at level 12 (10 with Improved Binding feat).
    I'm confused... There are binders who don't take the Improved Binding feat?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Improved Binding gives only +1 binder level.

My competition's medals.

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Improved Binding gives only +1 binder level.
    Benefit

Your effective binder level is 2 higher than normal for the purpose of determining the level of vestige you can bind. This benefit does not increase your binder level in any other circumstance.
    Are you thinking of Improved Turning, perhaps?

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are you thinking of Improved Turning, perhaps?
    Hm... I think I misremembered this. +2 is better. )))

My competition's medals.

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I'm confused... There are binders who don't take the Improved Binding feat?
    About as many as druids without Natural Spell, I'd presume ^^. Or paladins without Battle Blessing.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Or paladins without Battle Blessing.
    I think there's slightly too many charisma-primary characters dipping paladin 2 for this one to work.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    About as many as druids without Natural Spell, I'd presume ^^. Or paladins without Battle Blessing.
    Well, druid without NS and paladin without BB are things I could imagine. Binder without IB - isn't.

My competition's medals.

Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

About not used ideas. I had in mind adamantine body warforged ardent metamorphosed into Nimblewright.

My competition's medals.

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Judges? Anybody?

My competition's medals.

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

Judges? Anybody?
    I guess judging this is equally challenging as making a build, with both power level and originality difficult to benchmark. Still I hope at least 1 judge steps forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beheld View Post
    Wholly Crap! Did someone just make an argument based on the actual rules text! You clearly don't belong in this thread.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Any updates folks?

My competition's medals.

Show