New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Project Black Flag playtest has begun!

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    Wait.

How exactly do you expect one to roleplay "gleaning clues from body language, speech habits, and changes in mannerisms"...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    "Tell me what you're looking for." If there's an established tell, that may be an automatic success or a roll with advantage. Otherwise, just tell me how you're trying to catch them out.
    Something like Sparky says here. If they want to go above and beyond, they could ask a particular question designed to probe a possible lie, and specifically watch the answer.

The kind of use you suggest seems more like passive Insight to me than something that calls for a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That's not how the rule is presented; Help is just a basic action with no check of its own, so automatic execution once attempted is the default. Do you know DMs who also randomly disallow Dodging or Disengaging?
    I wasn't asking "how it was presented" (which is of course subject to reasonable GM interpretation at all times). I'm asking if you've really seen this at the table.

Do things like:

Player: "I want to help them decipher the runes!"
    GM: "Your character can't help in this circumstance, because they haven't been exposed to this language before. "
    Player: "The Help action SAYS I can always help, with automatic execution, so I can help. They get advantage".

occur at your table? Or do you find DMs exercise reasonable discretion about when helping is allowed?
    Last edited by Atranen; 2023-02-24 at 12:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atranen View Post
    Something like Sparky says here. If they want to go above and beyond, they could ask a particular question designed to probe a possible lie, and specifically watch the answer.

The kind of use you suggest seems more like passive Insight to me than something that calls for a roll.
    Alright, fine with that: do something to trigger an active roll, observe and use the passives. As long as you don't ask the player what particular stimulus they are looking for, I'm fine.
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atranen View Post
    I wasn't asking "how it was presented" (which is of course subject to reasonable GM interpretation at all times). I'm asking if you've really seen this at the table.

Do things like:

Player: "I want to help them decipher the runes!"
    GM: "Your character can't help in this circumstance, because they haven't been exposed to this language before. "
    Player: "The Help action SAYS I can always help, with automatic execution, so I can help. They get advantage".

occur at your table? Or do you find DMs exercise reasonable discretion about when helping is allowed?
    So because I have sensible DMs, the rule doesn't need to be clear? Isn't that the very Rule Zero fallacy you keep going on about?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by catagent101 View Post
    This playtest makes me feel weird. Like by its own merits I don't think it's particularly good, but at the same time it feels eons better than the One D&D playtest because it is actually trying to be something.
    The One playtest has had alot of experimental stuff though in the general rules sections. Sure the the jump nonsense was a miss but it had actually functional stealth rules in there.
    --
    Yeah I am with the confusion on the shift to rules vs rulings. Unless what is meant is a shift from innane nonsense vs rulings. Most of the playtest is to codify the existing 5e rules into something actually readable, the One D&D stealth rules, for example, still require and depend on DM adjudication (rulings). The 5e stealth rules are a waste of printer ink for all they do.
    Last edited by Witty Username; 2023-02-25 at 02:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So because I have sensible DMs, the rule doesn't need to be clear? Isn't that the very Rule Zero fallacy you keep going on about?
    So that's a no, the pedantic rules lawyering you describe in your post does not occur in your games.

In this case, I'm hoping for a statement like "in some cases the GM may decide you may need proficiency to help (example, example)". That would be better than the current version (too explicitly permissive) or the revised version (too explicitly restrictive).
    Last edited by Atranen; 2023-02-25 at 02:27 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

The second playtest packet has been released (direct link)

Also a direct link to the first packet for convenience.

Haven't read it (and idk if I will since I have other things to do), but at a glance it seems like a logical progression from the first one we saw.
    mew

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Still keeping a quiet eye on things, i think i like last stand as an alternative to second wind. Really could use the return of Bloodied though
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh. Not a direction I'm interested in. More meta currencies, action economy overhead just for the sake of it, and lack of general goals.

I think they'd be a hundred times better off going the other direction and working towards the simplicity of 5e's roots.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    5E wasn't my cup of tea to begin with, though it was an enjoyable romp in simple and low-powered (relative to other editions) for a while, but that grew stale, and I have no love for WotC at this time.

So I've got no real interest in "5E, but with someone else's branding."

I was VERY much looking forward to a new game, or at least a fresh take.
    ^synopsis of exactly my thoughts right here^

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

I really have to wonder what the utility of all of this text is. If there is an attempt to pad the new word count, I am not amused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playtest 2
    Bound in Blood. When your familiar first appears, your hit-
    point maximum decreases by one. If you permanently dismiss
    your familiar or it is otherwise permanently destroyed, you hit-
    point maximum returns to normal. This reduction can’t be offset
    by any means as long as your familiar lives.
    What does making the caster lose a hit point accomplish other than adding one more thing to track on the sheet, and adding a paragraph to the text here?
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    I really have to wonder what the utility of all of this text is. If there is an attempt to pad the new word count, I am not amused.

What does making the caster lose a hit point accomplish other than adding one more thing to track on the sheet, and adding a paragraph to the text here?
    As best I can tell, it's their attempt to balance the fact that their version of Find Create Familiar doesn't consume its component. The thought seems to be "well the caster has to lose something to keep this from being repeatedly spammable, even though we put spam protection elsewhere in the spell anyway."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)