New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Feast of Dust IC

"I'm Warlish! Servant of my conscience, I suppose. And the serpents are Hul and Haj-Ei, brave and true both. I haven't heard of any Master Sayid, but I'd gladly fight to end such a foul plague - why, it's the reason I've come! Though I fear I have few clues of my own to offer."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

"Let's finish scouring this place for clues, then get tea".

Esmaeel searches the smaller rooms to the west, and sets down the journal in plain sight for Mahasset to read if he should wish it so.
    Semper ludens.

3. - Top - End - #93

PirateGuy

"Well, my eyes are keen, and I have a friend even keener! We'll take a look about."

The magical viper, Hul, will shrink back to Tiny size and scope out the other rooms, poking his head silently under each closed door in turn to take a look inside for danger before exploring (doubling back to inform Warlish if anything obvious stands out) while Warlish gives the journal a read.

Hul Stealth: (1d20+29)[39]
    Hul Perception: (1d20+24)[44]

"This master Sayid... it seems he encountered somebody before that this plague made him fear - if that's the case, perhaps somebody might remember a previous outbreak of this or a similar sickness? Perhaps some loremaster or librarian? If it seemed so familiar to Sayid, it's likely he wouldn't be the only one to remember. In the meantime, let's take a look for this blade, I suppose."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Still in fox-form, Mahasset ghost-foots over to the journal which Esmaeel left out, and with his snout and paws he deftly flips open the cover and begins reading, scenting carefully while he looks through the entries.

He is also paying close attention to the pages themselves, looking for any fine details or stray traces of anything which would give him more information.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception
    (1d20+18)[25]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesrin steps into the doorway of the bookshop and knocks on the inside of the doorframe to get the attention of those still gathered at the counter. "Your dead lady friend sure was in a hurry to leave. Seems she--" he stops mid-sentence, mouth agape, eyes narrowing as he stares intently at something across the room. "Sorry, did someone...teach a fox how to read?"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

"Perhaps he is a Druid. Stranger things have happened. But what were you about to say?"

Spoiler
    Show

Majeed's only Knowledges are Religion and Undead. Religion might work for recalling something about a similar plague in the past, if it was the work of an evil deity and/or turned people into undead.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Too many chefs and all that, Edar’Kear-Throden opts to instead set up a perimeter around the shop with a series of traps. He goes at a slow enough pace once the initial ring is up to keep them refreshed. Ossalur for it’s part clambers up the house across the lane and keeps an elevated lookout for anything setting off said traps.

Spoiler: Casual Checks
    Show
    Placement check for the traps: (1d20+16)[22]
    They will all be snare traps taking up a 15x5 section of the road and imbued with Bleeding Wounds thanks to Spell Trap. I’ll deal with the consequences if they go off.

In addition here’s a knowledge roll. I’m at +16 Geography, +15 Dungeoneering or Nature, or +10 History. If I can do more than 1 let me know. (1d20)[5]

Addendum: I'd like to use Geography at least to figure out what's north of us and what the ghoul possibly teleported to.
    Last edited by Gunhaven; 2023-05-30 at 09:59 PM.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesrin frowns at the dark haired warrior, evidently disappointed by his suggestion that the literate fox is merely a druid in animal form. "Right," he sighs, stepping more fully into the shop. "The ghoul woman. She teleported some distance to the north. More than 10 miles by my estimate." He leans forward briefly to peer into the adjacent rooms. "Huh. Busy place. What's the ghoul's connection to the plague?" He leans back and turns a scrutizing eye to those nearest to him. "You are all trying to stop it, yes?" he asks, doubling checking that he hasn't mistakenly grasped the wrong end of the blade.
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-05-30 at 10:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Doing his best to tune out the chatter of new arrivals, Mahasset continues reading and scenting the journal.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"We are definitely trying to stop the plague. We take the end of the world very seriously."

11. - Top - End - #101

PirateGuy

"Though if we failed, I suppose I would stand out a little less! Still, with a ten mile head start, I don't suppose an extra minute or five here will greatly change our odds of tracking this ghoul down. What say we finish searching this place first, then head north and see about finding a scent to follow.

Also, are those... traps? People live here! Could you not leave them inside the house at least, so they don't catch passersby? Surely we could tell some local authority to keep people out while we're gone."
    Last edited by Paddywagon Man; 2023-05-31 at 05:51 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Edar'Kear-Throden cocked his head to the side when the traps get pointed out, saying "Well...yeah? In case there's another...ghoul? They only last 3 minutes." He paused and thought for a minute before nodding to himself and adding on "Too many...people in the doorway. And no...villagers for at least a...couple minutes." Each pause in his speech is accompanied by further casual removal of vermin leaving the confines of his bag or simple robe to help blend in with the desert.

He then blinks and quickly adds on "we're here to help stop the plague" loud enough that the human who asked can hear him. Quieter he mumbles to himself in draconic "Too many people out in the desert otherwise." He then returns to the easy going patrol he has set up outside the entrance to the bookstore, refreshing the traps as needed.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the others confirm their intent, Vesrin releases a breath. "And here I thought I'd be working this one alone."

He turns then to Warlish, whose appearance elicits a pained expression which Vesrin makes no effort to hide. "Unless she left you a hint as to where she was headed, I wouldn't recommend chasing after the ghoul. I'm certain she chose a destination more than ten miles from here, but I can't know how much farther than that she might have gone. It's entirely possible that she's hundreds of miles away."
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-06-01 at 01:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hul doesn't find any signs of life in the rest of the building. From what the viper tells you, there are two bedrooms that have yet to be explored, and a storeroom.

Esmaeel goes to check on them. One is Sayid's room. This simple, unadorned room contains little more than a simple bed, a small washing basin, and a desk. Papers and ash lie scattered across the floor, and the mattress’s straw has been torn out through a ragged gash. Sayid’s living quarters stand in stark contrast to his son’s lavish tastes. He often keeps a single treatise by his mattress, but Pershpia’s minions already visited this chamber and burned this one to ash. The words “End... Shadun...” are still visible on the cover. Sitting on Sayid’s desk is a perfumed note embossed into high-quality paper. It says, "You are cordially invited to the Whitewater Compound this morning to discuss matters of security and safety in the town of Dimayen. Know that the hand of the Whitewaters is generous to its friends, and harsh to the disrespectful. - Tianka Whitewater, mother of Ezrisha, Grandmother of Kardag, Mother of Dimayen."

The next bedroom belongs to Sayid's son. This lavish chamber stands untouched. Bronze braziers, tiny jade statues, a long mirror, and racks of fine silk and samite clothing crowd the floor, leaving barely enough room for a large feather bed bedecked in satin sheets and fine fur blankets. Dehlvat kept his quarters here, using whatever money he begged off his father to purchase frivolous luxury items. Dehlvat’s fine clothing is worth a total of 450 gp. His small jade figurine collection of desert monsters is worth another 250 gp. A note lays in the open on his bed. It says, "Greetings Honoured Loremaster of the Ancients. It is with distinct pleasure that I continue to grow in your acquaintance. Despite your youth, you prove yourself deeply wise and possessed of a brave soul. It is so sad that your overbearing father fails to recognise these qualities. I look forward to hearing more about the impressive secrets you have wrested away from the old man's foolishly cloistered collection of knowledge. I agree with the sentiments you expressed so eloquently during our last meeting. What is knowledge without action? ANd what is power without a courageous soul to wield it? If only we were possessed of the resources to set out from this wretched, small minded town of failed farmers and aggrandized vagrants. Ah, the wonders I could show you. Fortune does not bless those such as us, though. We must seize it for our own. If only we had access to some valuable but squandered wealth in this dried up backwater. But, alas. Drinks tomorrow shall assuage the pain. - Your friend in confidence, Ibhris Akpahl."

The storeroom is the third unexplored room. It is pretty bare, from the looks of it. The humble pantry is stocked with rice, olive oil, dried herbs, onions, and a barrel of water.

From what you know, there is nothing but open desert for hundreds of mile to the north. It appears the ghoul woman must have just teleported probably at random to an empty place from where she could escape.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

Esmaeel, please give me two Perception checks.

Athaleon, just to point out, there is no such Knowledge skill as Undead. It is covered by Religion. So if you have put ranks into both, you will have some skill points free to re-assign.

Mahasset, as I mentioned in the OOC thread, but just to put it on here as well, you don't learn anything much from the rest of the journal. It is filled with regular sounding material relevant to the day to day operations of a bookbinder. The module doesn't mention anything else about it, so there is nothing important. But you get a scent for Sayid, so you can identify him if you encounter him again.

15. - Top - End - #105

PirateGuy

"I suppose we must assume this blade, whatever its significance, is already in enemy hands. Though the plague did start while Sayid still held it, so the origin can't be as simple as that.

I'll take this burned book in case magic can restore it. Perhaps our next step is to ask about associates of this son of his."
    Last edited by Paddywagon Man; 2023-06-02 at 06:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

For a moment Edar’Kear-Throden gazes at the building. With a shrug and a mumbled ”Might as well check.” to himself he exhales slowly. At first it’s only a couple, then a dozen, then hundreds of buzzing insects surround him. Once it reaches 5000 he stops exhaling and nods with satisfaction at the large cube of buddies that now surround him.

Seemingly speaking to the swarm of various flying, diminutive insects the kobold says ”Can you check to see if there’s any secret gaps? Thanks Maurg!” The flies, beetles, and mosquitoes proceed to crawl across the outside of the house and see if there’s any secret escape hatches that they can slip into.

Spoiler: Investigating using swarms
    Show
    Gonna have one of these swarms of mine check if there’s any gaps in the walls/ceiling/floor. I’ll stop them from going into places others are already investigating until they leave.
    New job, who dis?

17. - Top - End - #107

PirateGuy

"Best of luck little fellow, I feel like the search here is as complete as it'll be though! The snakes and I will - Haj-Ei! Let that roach be! Can't you see it's the kobold's friend?

Sorry about that! As I was saying, we'll check by the local temples or taverns, see if the names we read ring any bells locally. Just holler if you find anything, or if we're set to depart!"

Waving goodbye, he'll look about for any building that looks like a temple or church, and head inside.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    "People. PEOPLE!!!....thank you. Master Sayid was invited to visit the Whitewater compound. It used to be an inn or caravanserai of sorts, but it has been closed for days. Another local notable, a priest, entered days ago and hasn't been seen. We need to visit them and ask questions, politely but cautiously. Also, an Ibhris Akpahl seems to have conned the cursed sword from Sayid's son".".

Scout stance * Perception +22 * Double Focused * HP 92/92[/QUOTE]
    Semper ludens.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

With a shrug, Edar'Kear-Throden mumbled "Maurg's just the insects calling me home given form anyway. A dozen roaches shouldn't matter too much..." With new purpose the kobold casually gathers up the twine he had used for the traps, nods at the road being back to it's former state, and almost melds into the swarm of insects. Ossalur takes up position behind the kobold as the swarm gently buzzes down the road, seemingly carrying the kobold along. Once at the compound, Edar'Kear-Throden whispers his thanks to Maurg and proceeds to make a note of how many entrances and exits the place has.
    New job, who dis?

20. - Top - End - #110

PirateGuy

"Ah, right to the point Sir Esmaeel! Good to have a man about who knows his way around the mystery already! If you lead to this Whitewater Compound, then, I'll follow."
    Last edited by Paddywagon Man; 2023-06-03 at 11:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

"It sounds suspicious already. Perhaps one of us should scout the premises before we go openly to ask questions."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesrin is leaning against a wall and picking at something stuck in his teeth when Esmaeel comes to share what he's learned. "If ghoul wizards are showing up to hassle whoever might be working to end the plague, I wouldn't be too surprised to find a group of locals working in secret. But I agree that closing up shop and then disappearing your guests isn't a good look."
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-06-05 at 03:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Esmaeel discovers, in Sayid's room, a small strongbox. It contains 824 gp and 15 notes of credit from various farmers amounting to 366 gp.

Esmaeel, and the bugs, then discover a secret door within the storeroom, leading downwards into the darkness below.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    Esmaeel looks quizzically at the crawlings bugs, then grasps at the edges of the secret door and pulls it open. "But first...". He adjusts his sash to cast a warm glow, then proceeds into the secret area.

Scout stance * Perception +22 * Double Focused * HP 92/92
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Scenting the cool musty air wafting from the hidden door, the unusually literate desert-fox nudges the old journal shut, then trots easily on silent paws into the storeroom and next to Esmaeel, scenting the darkness revealed behind the door.

Lifting a paw in a curiously humanlike gesture—wait just a moment—the desert-fox scents and listens carefully:

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception
    (1d20+18)[34]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

With a new passageway to explore Edar’Kear-Throden finally shuffles into the bookstore. Picking his way past people he finally joins Maurg inside and proceeds to get out some rope to vaguely cordon off the newest source of danger. He waits for the fox to scout out if there’s anything inside.
    New job, who dis?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Majeed approached the newly-discovered trap door with blades drawn, ready to leap in if there was a fight.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Bazir, intrigued, follows behind, trying to be alert to traps (and giant sand spiders!)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Mahasset manages to scent something a little off about the chamber below. The room smells empty, but there is a faint scent of something long dead somewhere below. Maybe in an adjoining chamber. The room directly below the storeroom seems to be an empty chamber made of soft sandstone. A door lies to the northeast, which is closed.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel carefully approaches the door, his eyes systematically taking in the dust, the walls and the floor, his steps light and probing (checking for traps at +24)
    Semper ludens.