New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Feast of Dust IC

Here is the long awaited IC thread for the Feast of Dust game. Thank you all for your patience. I have linked the Recruitment and OOC threads into this post, as per forum rules. The next post will be up in about half an hour, and the game can begin.

Recruitment: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Feast-of-Dust

OOC: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Feast-of-Dust

Re-recruitment thread link: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...re-recruitment
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-05-28 at 02:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Feast of Dust IC

The caravan approaches the town of Dimayen. You are saddle-sore, dusty, and thirsty. Your reasons for coming to the town vary. Some may be here on your way to bigger Qadiran towns or cities. Others have business within the town itself. But either way, you have arrived.

The town is built around an oasis, which is lush. However, the irrigation canals are mostly dry and look like a horrendous mess. You have seen signs of trouble on your journey. There have been abandoned caravans with no trace of their travelers save for a few gnawed bones, starving vultures fighting over human remains half buried in the sand, or unusually aggressive infestations of desert parasites. You approach the town, and consider the options for a bath and a long, cold drink.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    There have been abandoned caravans with no trace of their travelers save for a few gnawed bones, starving vultures fighting over human remains half buried in the sand,
    Bazir peels back the wraps that protect his skin from the SUN and make him almost appear to be a mummy. "The SANDS have taken them. They are now at peace. May the SUN watch over them as the SANDS consume them." (He wonders to himself how that might sound to one who does not understand.) For now, he will enjoy the oasis, knowing all too well that in time it too will be nothing but SAND.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Becka

Becka looked sideways in disbelief at Bazir and then back at one of the picked over corpses.

"The price of peace seems a little too high.." she comments dryly. Becka returned to stretching her legs.

She pulled a boot off and drained some sand out of it. The winds of the desert blew even more sand into her empty boot.

Becka coughed for the millionth time. "Could really use a rain storm about now."

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok'n'Roll View Post
    "Could really use a rain storm about now."
    Bazir looks at the sky. "Seems unlikely."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Her mare could use a drink.

And so could Randa.

She appreciated the fact she had "acquired" the dark colored horse at the start of the caravan rather than a camel; horses were more honest about their needs and she didn't really wish to start this venture with a riding animal that suddenly dropped dead because it was, intentionally or not, hiding its own need of food and water. She had dismounted once the oasis town had been sighted to give her beast some relief and plodded along after the others. It might not have been so strange that the petite traveler had her own steed but up until now, she had kept an unusual distance from most of the caravan with the exception of Becka, and had also remained bundled up in a comfy but well worn cloak and riding clothes that covered ever inch of her except for part of her face. She didn't exactly want to advertise that she was half-orc. ...Or that she was the notorious Inferno Witch, but maybe it won't come up?

"Any of you been here before?" she asks dryly before enigmatically: "My experience says we need to try the oldest Inn or tavern here first, and then the newest if that doesn't work out."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Becka

"I would be embarrassed to admit if I had been here before. Yes, something I would most, most definitely lie about." Becka shielded her eyes with her hand as she scanned the sky for clouds. Disappointed, she sighed.

"I have not been here before." Becka protested her innocence.

Becka scrunched up her face at Randa. "Isn't it the biggest tavern you are supposed to try first. Wait, maybe its the one closest to the docks you are supposed to avoid. Not a problem you would have here I guess. Honestly, I think we just duck into the first inn/tavern we find. Get a drink." Becka paused to think ".. Then get another drink. Then decide which tavern or taverns we are going to patronize. I don't think we should make a crucial decision like this with out a drink in our hands first. A pre-taverning if you will. "

Becka waited to follow someone else into the town proper.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Randa will lead the way and her horse if she has to.

"I try to go to the oldest establishment I can find; it's either survived the longest because it'll cater to anybody with coin, or because it has kissed all the arses of the citizens to keep out the riffraff they don't like. In which case, the newest place in town--that's not doing as well-- will be desperate enough to take my coin specifically, with fewer questions asked."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You easily find your way to The Oasis, a small tavern which you are told is the only one in town. The Whitewater Compound is normally a better place to go for drinks and accommodation, but it has been mysteriously closed up for a week or so.

You order your drinks, and find to your surprise that the price and drinks are both reasonable. You hear much of the conversation is speculation about the Whitewater Compound, though you don't know exactly who they are or what they represent. You also hear a bit of talk about a place called the Fabled and Forgotten, whatever that might be. You also hear of a small shrine to Sarenrae called the Shrine of Overflowing Joys.

10. - Top - End - #10

DwarfClericGuy

Only tavern in town = BEST tavern in town.

A round of drinks for my friends since we're all going to die soon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Your round of drinks comes quickly and with practices ease from the barmaid. There is something a little off about the place, but you can't quite tell what it is. It isn't the room, though, it is the people. The obvious travellers taking their ease do not seem strange, but there is something uneasy about the people you can only assume are the town's locals.

Mahasset goes to the temple. It lies upon the site of a secondary spr though you can only assume the main spring would have more water, as this one doesn't produce enough water for a whole town, even one as small as this. The wood and masonry walls of the humble temple are worn but clean. The friezes adorning the walls are well executed, but have been touched up by amateurish hands. Though the gilding of the dome roof has begun to wear off, heavy layers of wax still give it a blinding sheen in the sunlight. A holy symbol of Sarenrae adorns the door, etched into the door and inlaid with gold.

As you enter, you find a scene of horror. Two dozen of the townsfolk are lashed to cots in the temple sanctuary. Two dozen others wander aimlessly. Six acolytes, judging by their simple robes, tend those strapped down.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

This was not, in any way, what Mahasset had been expecting.

He had heard of the shrine at Dimayen, had privately thought that “Overflowing Joys,” was a bit much, though in line with the style of the Korian sects of the Third Dynasty, who had refined hyperbole into its own art form.

He had been meaning to make the journey for some time—not for the presumed joys, overflowing or not, but for a Willani translation of Korian doctrine, to which he had caught an offhand reference in one of the later compilations by Havanius. Only a few fragments of Willani script were known to Mahasset, and the tantalizing possibility of a full text had been tugging at him for weeks now. He had no particular taste for Korian precepts, but they were at least well-attested, and would make a decipherment of Willani all the more robust.

But instead—writhing people in dirty ropes, clumsily bound to cots, a scatter of acolytes doing what little they can to tend to them.

Mahasset stands for a moment, glancing about, then strides directly to the nearest acolyte, speaking in the ancient holy tongue. “What has happened here, my child? Who are these lost folk, and where is your abbot?

Not far behind him, silent and unnoticed, a sand-cat hunches down in the shadows with a sour, contrary look.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The acolyte pauses in her unceasing, heartbreaking, work. She studies Mahasset closely, then offers a sigh. She brushes her hair back from her face, then looks around the room. It is hard to tell if she is examining those who wander, or those tied down, or if she simply can't fully comprehend the horrors she has seen. You notice that her yellow robes are tattered at the sleeves, and it looks like she has bite marks beneath them. The bites appear to be old, and starting to fester.

"Greetings, stranger. I am Sister Khalidras. I fear that unless you have gold to contribute, or healing skills to offer, I must ask you to leave." It seems almost like she has had to deal with many strangers coming through the doors, and that this is a good means of sorting out those who may be helpful and who will simply offer to become an even greater burden.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-03-02 at 04:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Let me see that,” Mahasset says of the bite marks on the sister’s arm. “What happened? How did you get these?

Indifferent to social norms or personal boundaries, he will focus intently on the injuries, examining them carefully with an eye towards determining both their origin and what form of healing they may require.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal
    (1d20+12)[28]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The acolyte, who seems to be in charge, looks down at Mahasset's hands as they work at assessing and treating the wounds. She seems to take some comfort in the skilled work. She finally relents, and opens up. "It is a disease known as the Feast of Dust. Where it comes from, we’re not sure—Master Sayid from the bookshop referred to it as the ‘Feast of Dust,’ but we haven’t seen him in days. The first victim was Pretty Jambre two weeks ago, I think, but we didn’t know what it was. Some thought their loved ones had gone mad or contracted some disease. Then we started finding fragments of bone carved with sigils among the victims, and witnesses began talking about the jackals that would watch the sick," she says. She seems open to talking with another healer, so Mahasset feels that he can ask any questions he may feel inclined, so long as it doesn't take the Acolyte from her duties for too long.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

“What made these?” Mahasset asks, holding the acolyte’s arm and peering at the half-animal bite marks on her flesh. “What are these creatures? And how is it that you’ve not healed them yet?”

17. - Top - End - #17

DwarfClericGuy

Randa and Becka? Another round or get some sleep?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Becka

"I could use another drink."

Becka fiddled with her empty tankard and glanced around the tavern. "Seems... quiet in here. Maybe too quiet?" She asked absently.

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok'n'Roll View Post
    "I could use another drink."

Becka fiddled with her empty tankard and glanced around the tavern. "Seems... quiet in here. Maybe too quiet?" She asked absently.
    "Indeed. With the threat before us, one would think there would be more concern, anxiety and discussion."

He waves politely at the server. "Another round if you please for my two friends and me."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The barmaid hands over a new round of drinks, and you notice that she studies you carefully. She seems to relax a little when she identifies you as foreigners, however.

The Acolyte moves to cover her bitten arm. She replies cautiously, I was bitten by one of the afflicted. “The victims of the curse suffer a gnawing hunger, but cannot keep food or water down. If left alone, they eventually rush out of doors and strike out for the deeper desert with no care for their well-being. The old and infirm die quickly, but some of them stir and rise again as ghouls, and soon continue their journey into the sands. You would be better off talking to Master Sayid of the Fabled and Forgotten bookshop, for he is a wise and knowledgeable man. I would suggest you speak to the High Priest, Arakor Shonar, but he disappeared into the Whitewater compound several days ago, and hasn't been seen since. Some say he has been hiding from the curse in luxury, but I believe he has been working with Tianka Whitewater to find a cure. In any case, the Whitewaters have been sending us clean food and water since he went there."

"I can show you these, too, since you seem interested. They are magically enchanted jackal bones, which have been left at the sites of many attacks."

She shows you some bone fragments, each inscribed with writing in an unusual script.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

For those in the bar, read the first bit of Post 11 for a tip as to what may be happening, and from where you can start an investigation.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Ghouls. Well, godsdamn. Mahasset releases the acolyte’s arm with an absent attempt at gentleness.

Have you tried the waters of your own spring?

—And who exactly is this Sayid? I hadn’t heard there was a folio merchant in town.”

Deep within him, Ilkhundar stirs eagerly. Undead! Undead walk the lands again! We must boldly stride forth and smite them as they cower before us!

But Mahasset, long since accustomed to the echoes striving within him, subsumes the old paladin’s restless energy and follows the acolyte to the jackal-bones. Without touching the bone fragments, Mahasset will carefully examine the markings scored upon them, searching his memory for any resemblance to any languages or symbols he might know.

He will also draw on all that he knows from holy texts and ancient bestiaries for anything pertaining to ghouls, especially how to prevent and destroy them.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Linguistics
    (1d20+10)[15]

Knowledge(religion)
    (1d20+9)[13]

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfClericGuy

Bazir pulls out a set of dice and invites a couple of locals to join us and have a drink. Maybe we can learn something from them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    Esmaeel, ever the life of the party, scowls briefly at Bazir as the dice come out, but puts on his best approximation of an approachable smile, palms out a handful of silver to lose or spend, and follows Bazir's lead.
    Semper ludens.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Becka

Becka pulls out a small handful of silver and pulls in closer to Bazir. "Now we are talking... Anyone else interested ?" She announces to the room.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I have tried the waters of the spring, but they have not worked. I fear there is a powerful necromantic curse attached to the bites. I suspect that the bone fragments likely have necromantic magic on them too," the Acolyte says. "Master Sayid is a scholar, so it is only natural that he be found within his bookshop. He is a friend of Father Arakor's. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has mentioned seeing him in a few days." Mahasset recognises the script on the bone fragments as a combination of Abyssal and Infernal. It will likely take magic to decipher the exact meaning, with the strange crossed languages.

A few of the locals come and join the table where the game has started. They look wary, until they get a good close look at you, then they seem to relax and settle into the game. One of them, as he scoops up the dice, very quietly says, "If you know what is good for you, strangers, you will get out of town as fast as you can. It is not safe here." He then looks around to make sure no one outside of the table could hear that. The other locals at the table nod very slightly in agreement with his words, though.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    "Padishah". Esmaeel slides a decent pile of silver into the center of the table. But he didn't even lift his cup to check his dice before calling the highest roll in the game. He looks straight at the local who spoke, ignoring the hoots and jeers of the other gamblers at the imprudent bet.

"What sights might a curious traveller wish to see?", he asks.

Scout stance * Perception +22 * Focused * HP 92/92
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2023-03-23 at 07:50 AM.
    Semper ludens.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The locals study the dice fixedly, then they speak up, one at a time, adding in details of the town. One is the main speaker, and the others just add to what he says. "The Shrine of Overflowing Joys is a holy place that some travellers like. The Fabled and Forgotten bookshop is beloved of scholars, and that is under the ownership of Master Sayid. There is the Whitewater compound, but that can be hard to get into, and I think it might currently be shut to outsiders. Those are the main drawcards of the town." In a much quieter voice, he adds, "Be careful where you go. The Curse can be caught easily, and it brings a horrible death."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Keep these safe, and hidden,” Mahasset tells the young acolyte of the bone fragments. “These are words from foul and unhuman speech, and nothing I have ever delved into. Treat them as you would a poison.

In the meantime,” he examines her arm again, “you will permit me to try.”

It’s not in Mahasset’s nature to allow wounds to be untreated, not when he has the power to heal; and so he casts a mild curing spell, which is usually sufficient for bites and gouges, and carefully examines the result.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mahasset is casting Cure Light Wounds on the young woman’s arm.

(1d8+5)[7]

He suspects the spell will have no effect; but even so he watches carefully, and compares what he sees with anything he has seen or read about unnatural afflictions such as this.

Knowledge(arcana)
    (1d20+14)[26]

Knowledge(nature)
    (1d20+17)[36]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Keep the fragments, we have plenty of them. They all look the same. You might try to find out what the words say, and you are more likely to learn that on your travels than would those of us here. Maybe try to find Master Sayid," the acolyte suggests.

She holds her arm out sceptically, not really believing that simple magic could help. The spell is cast, and nothing happens. Perhaps the edges of the wound close ever so slightly, but the infection does not change at all. You can only assume this is some sort of powerful magical curse, the likes of which you have never seen before.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    "Interesting. Let us finish our drinks and then visit this book store". Esmaeel gets up, a hundred silver lighter. He meets the eyes of each of the gamblers. "If our friend shows up looking for us, you will tell him where we went, yes?".
    Semper ludens.