New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Feast of Dust IC

Mahasset stares at the unhealed wound for a long, long moment, then exhales in brief irritation.

Vexing. And unnatural. —I’ll return as soon as I’m able,” he promises the young acolyte. He gathers up several of the jackal-bones in a strip of clean linen, folds them away, and steps outside to find Master Sayid’s bookshop.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Both groups find the bookshop easily enough, with it being a prominent landmark in the small town. You meet outside the door.

As you meet each other and produce introductions, you also enter the building, even as you discuss who you are to the strangers who also want to find Master Sayid.

The dark and musty shop is filled with shelves along each wall and stacks of books—new and old. A display of inks, papers, and writing implements covers the low
    counter to the west. A scrawny and odd looking woman steps out from behind a counter. "Greetings, customers. I am Pershpia, an employee of Master Sayid. How may I help you this fine day?" she asks.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

For his part, Mahasset has no particular interest in a pack of scruffy caravan guards, and with little more than a glance at them he steps inside.

To the old woman in the bookshop, he nods and asks, “Your Master Sayid—is he in? I must speak with him, immediately. Many lives depend on it.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(religion)
    (1d20+9)[15]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"I wonder what his story is. We're just planning to stop the harbinger of death..."

KR (1d20+6)[17]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Becka

"Those people looked scared and beaten down. I purposely lost - didn't feel right taking their coin" Becka whispers as they enter the shop.

Becka enters the shop and hangs back, trying to keep her distance from everyone lest she catches something.

She pulls out a silver coin and instantly palms it and makes it disappear suddenly. She utters a few magic words and it re-appears seemingly from her ear and floats onto the counter for Pershpia.

Spoiler
    Show

Know:Religion : (1d20+7)[17]
    Slight of hand : (1d20+21)[31]
    Cast mage hand

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    "Greetings, fellow traveller. We also seek the wisdom of Master Sayid in the matter of this unnatural plague. My name is Esmaeel Naffar. I am but a humble soldier, and I hope Master Sayid can enlighten us all on the source of this plague".

Scout stance * Perception +22 * Focused * HP 92/92
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

To Mahasset, the woman behind the counter seems a touch taken aback at so many dusty strangers inquiring after Master Sayid at once, and all the more so for the little coin trick one of them plays.

Out of instinct, Mahasset glances at the one who did the trick, assessing what manner of magic might be involved.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(arcana)
    (1d20+14)[29]

As for the purple-cloaked desert warrior, Mahasset spares him only a flicker of attention, waiting for Master Sayid’s assistant to respond.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The woman, you all realise, is some form of ghoul. She does not immediately attack, but she doesn't seem too helpful either. "Master Sayid is away. He will return in a few days," she says. You think you catch some movement out of the corner of your eye, but when you look there seems to be nothing there. You notice that the woman has been reading a book of some sort. It looks unlike a normal book, and more like a small journal.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Can I please get a sense motive check from everyone?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Sense Motive
    (1d20+5)[12]

Spoiler: Additional OOC
    Show
    I should probably finalize Mahasset's spell selection for today, before the fun begins.

10. - Top - End - #40

DwarfClericGuy

Sense Motive (1d20+6)[11]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Esmaeel realises instantly that the ghoul is being deceitful, though it is difficult to tell exactly what is truth. But it appears she knows more of Sayid's disappearance than she lets on, or else how long he is absent for, though that seems less likely.

You all also notice that there is a creature of some sort moving around the room. It is invisible, but you get the impression that more than merely the ghoul is here. You can't identify it's exact location without help, but you still see hints of definite movement.

Show

You can roll Perception to isolate the movement, and Knowledge Arcana to identify the creature if you like.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    Esmaeel sniffs the air briefly, and brings up his polearm to point at the shop tender. perception - (1d20+22)[26]."That's enough, abomination. Tell your invisible friend to show himself, and start telling the truth, or you both die now".

Scout stance * Perception +22 * Focused * HP 92/92[/QUOTE]
    Semper ludens.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Becka

"Invisible?" Becka asks and glances around the room in a confused manner. She instantly regrets tipping the 'ghoul'. "Usually I'm the one doing the shenanigans..."

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+14)[32]

Sense motive: (1d20+14)[22]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

“Tell me truly,” Mahassat says in a hard, uncompromising tone, fixing the ghoul-woman with a weathered stare, “where is Master Sayid? Are you keeping him captive here?”

Spoiler
    Show
    For the ghoul-woman, specifically for any hint of reaction to his questions:

Sense Motive
    (1d20+5)[17]

For the invisible creature:

Perception
    (1d20+18)[36]

Knowledge (arcana)
    (1d20+14)[18]

15. - Top - End - #45

DwarfClericGuy

"The customer service here is terrible!"

Bazir looks around the room, trying to follow the others' expressions and glances.

Perception (1d20+6)[25]
    Arcana (1d20+6)[22]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The party all manage to spot the creature that is floating around the room. It is a being known as an Invisible Stalker, a dangerous foe. Becka gets the impression that it seems to be aggressive, and may actually be hostile, though it hasn't yet attacked.

The ghoul woman says, "Master Sayid is not here. You must go. At once. Do not make me make you leave. She makes no hostile movement, but she seems to be muttering something to herself, and her hands are behind her back.

Spoiler: OOC action
    Show

Becka, can you please give me a Will save.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    "You brouht this upon yourself", Esmaeel sighs. "Now DIE BY MY HAND!"; Esmaeel whips his hooked axe at the ghoul.
    Spoiler: Rolls and actions
    Show
    Initiative if needed: (1d20+2)[18]. Free action to change stance. If I have a full round of actions, move action to Challenge the ghoul; she gets +2 to hit Esmaeel, and -4 to attack others. 5' step as needed. Standard: Brutal Strike with 10' reach. attack - (1d20+19)[27], damage - (3d10+23)[40] + batterered 3 rounds and taking -3 to attack and damage while battered. Swift action: Counting coup touch attack - (1d20+19)[39], no damage but I add +1 sequence.

Berserker stance * Perception +22 * Double Focused * HP 92/92 * Sequence: 2 or 3
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2023-04-13 at 11:49 AM.
    Semper ludens.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

The instant Mahasset recognizes the Invisible Stalker for what it is, he casts glitterdust on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    The stalker gets a Will save against the blinding effect, but otherwise it’s nice and sparkly now. Disco beat!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Becka

Spoiler: OOC Will save
    Show

Will Save : (1d20+8)[17]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Becka manages to slip off the effects of the spell, or whatever probably ill effect it was the ghoul was creating. As battle erupts, the ghoul and the invisible stalker both move to attack. The invisible stalker lights up with the spell, but it is still a dangerous foe.

The ghoul manages to launch an attack before Esmaeel, casting a Slow spell at Esmaeel to try to disrupt his attack.

The invisible stalker launches an attack at Mahasset, who was the source of the glitterdust spell cast at it.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

The Slow spell has a save DC of 18.

The invisible stalker attacks with an attack roll of (1d20+14)[21] for (2d6+6)[18] damage on the first Slam attack, then rolled (1d20+14)[21] for (2d6+6)[11] damage on the second attack.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Becka

Becka moves towards the ghoul. "foul magic? Give me my silver back, fiend!"

She draws a dagger and teleports to the ghoul and then teleports away after trying to touch it in the side.

Show

Init: (1d20+13)[15]

Move action: Becka will move to be within 20 feet of the zombie, if she isn't already.

Free action: Draw her dagger

Standard action: use the 'Warp Worm' maneuver on the Ghoul

Touch Attack: (1d20+15)[18]
    Damage: (10d6)[29] Force damage

Assuming there is no effects stopping her teleport, she'll finish her turn 10 feet south of the ghoul, just out of arm's reach.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC.1
    Show
    Mahasset’s AC is 26, so neither of the stalker’s attacks should hit.

Mahasset will roll over the counter and move into the main area of the lobby, around where the “A1” text is located. He will cast Eaglesoul on himself, and will immediately use the swift action to activate the surge.

Spoiler: OOC.2
    Show
    Among other things, this adds a +2 sacred bonus to his AC, so he should be up to AC 28.

He will also call to mind anything he can about invisible stalkers, especially whether they’re evil and/or undead.

Spoiler: OOC.3
    Show
    Knowledge (arcana)
    (1d20+14)[18]

Knowledge (nature)
    (1d20+17)[18]

Knowledge (religion)
    (1d20+9)[22]

23. - Top - End - #53

DwarfClericGuy

Unsure if this is an epic battle or a minor inconvenience, Bazir returns to the door, throws it open, and whistles. A large form, standing eerily still under a light blanket, lumbers forward and into the room as Bazir indicates the ghoul spellcaster. "Seize her!"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Taking a nasty hit, the ghoul seems to realise she is outmatched, and immediately vaults over the counter and bolts through the door, heading for the wilderness. The invisible stalker continues to fight, moving to block the way for the ghoul. You notice that she has not had time to take anything with her, so the book she was reading when you arrived is still on the counter.

Mahasset remembers the fact that invisible stalkers are living beings, neutrally aligned elementals.

Show

Round 2 please. The ghoul is gone, and moving fast. The invisible stalker remains.
    It makes an attack on Esmaeel. (1d20+12)[19] attack 1, for (2d6+6)[9] damage on a hit. (1d20+12)[30] attack 2, for (2d6+6)[17] damage on a hit.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Surānnu!” Mahasset calls in an ancient dialect, “—after her!” From where it was loitering just outside, a rather scruffy-looking sand cat darts in pursuit of the ghoul-woman.

Trusting his companion familiar to stay close on her trail—but not too close—Mahasset now focuses his attention on the invisible glittering stalker, casting Aggressive Thundercloud right on top of the thing and commanding the pocket storm to strike with its lightning.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action to call to Surānnu; then casting Aggressive Thundercloud on the stalker’s position:

Thundercloud electricity damage:
    (3d6)[11]

The glittering stalker can make a DC 17 Reflex save to negate the damage. SR also applies.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There is an opportunity for those near the door to lash out at the ghoul before she flees through the doorway.

The lightning attack strikes at the invisible stalker, which doesn't seem to resist the spell itself, and also seems to take damage from the spell's elemental nature, in spite of it being an air based creature itself.

Show

Stalker's Reflex Save: (1d20+11)[15]
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-04-24 at 02:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    Esmaeel casually deflects the glittering stalker's first attack with his shield, and lets the other glance off his armored shoulder. He turns to pursue the fleeing woman, drops his polearm and rapidly throws two javelins. atk1 - (1d20+15)[19], dam1 - (3d6+13)[21], atk2 - (1d20+15)[33], dam2 - (1d6+13)[19].

Spearchucker stance * Perception +22 * Double Focused * HP 92/92 * Sequence: 6? (3, +1 shield block, +1? shield block AoO, +1? hitting with javelin)
    Semper ludens.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

“Don’t kill her, you maffawat,” Mahasset snaps at the armored one throwing javelins, “I’ll run her down once I’m finished with this.”

Mahasset will concentrate on the thundercloud, keeping it centered on the stalker and commanding it to strike again:

Spoiler
    Show
    Thundercloud electricity damage:
    (3d6)[12]

DC 17 Reflex for half.

29. - Top - End - #59

DwarfClericGuy

Bazir's golem reaches out with a sandy hand and attempts to grab the ghoul as it tries to get past them.
    (1d20+23)[39]
    Bazir did not have a weapon in hand, so attempts a shield bash.
    (1d20+5)[21]
    for damage of [roll]1d4+1d6-1[/roll]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The golem manages to catch the ghoul woman, but she magically slips by it, as if enchanted to be uncatchable,and she continues to flee. She takes the second javelin hit from Esmaeel, and appears to be lightly hurt, but not dreadfully so.

The invisible stalker takes a swing at Esmaeel as he moves.

Show

[roll]1d20+[/roll] attack roll, (2d6+6)[15] damage roll for AoO on Esmaeel.