New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Feast of Dust IC

Esmaeel Naffar
    "Well, Ardent. By the grace of the Dawnflower, you get to ...live... Now, I think it's time to pay the Whitewater compound a visit. Does anyone want to reconnoiter ahead before we annonouce our arrival? Who wants to do the initial introductions and ask the questions? I will volunteer to help Ardent keep himself on the straight and narrow path.. ".

Scout stance * Perception +22 * Double Focused * HP 92/92
    Semper ludens.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Edar’Kear-Throden coughs at mention of moving on and cautiously stutters out in a rapidly quieter tone a ”But… there’s a room? A hall…hallway at least.” He almost starts to scoot down the left of the hallway without waiting for others before ultimately deciding to wait and see if other people go first.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesrin, having rolled his eyes repeatedly -- not that anyone could see it -- while listening to the ongoing discussion about Ardent's fate from the room above, finally speaks up at Esmaeel's new commitment. "That path may be even narrower a path than you're expecting, friend," he says, bending down to bring his face closer to the opening in the floor. "They're shapechangers, you know. The ghul. Hyenas, if I remember right. Oh, and none too fond of sunlight. Should make for a real delightful trip through town."
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-07-04 at 04:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From what little Mahasset can recall or figure out, this band of ghuls are cursed by their own agreement, so even destroying their bodies will only condemn their souls to torment in the underworld. The only sure way of releasing them is to destroy the Jackal Prince.

There is indeed another area within the underground region, just past the room you are in now.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Still in fox-form, Mahasset regards the ghul for a long moment. As much as every one of his inner voices cries out to destroy the thing, it seems the only sure way to salvage the creature’s immortal soul is to seek out and destroy the author of the damnable contract that deceived and bound the creature’s people.

Mahasset whuffs briefly to catch the others’ attention, then gestures pointedly with his snout towards the further area. He trots silently in that direction, then pauses a safe distance away and scents carefully once again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception
    (1d20+18)[33]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Esmaeel Naffar
    "Well, Ardent. By the grace of the Dawnflower, you get to ...live... Now, I think it's time to pay the Whitewater compound a visit. Does anyone want to reconnoiter ahead before we annonouce our arrival? Who wants to do the initial introductions and ask the questions? I will volunteer to help Ardent keep himself on the straight and narrow path.. ".

"Then I will share that responsibility," Majeed added grimly.

"I will introduce us at the Whitewater; a servant of the Dawnflower should be welcome, or at any rate greeted civilly—any hint otherwise would be suspicious in itself, given the circumstances. Perhaps, however, one who has been longer on this trail had best ask the questions."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Mahasset whuffs more pointedly, again indicating the further area not yet explored, and makes a show of listening and scenting keenly in that direction.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes, of course we should finish clearing this den before we move on." Majeed moved in the direction the fox indicated.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Before you can enter the chamber, Mahasset scents something deeply unnatural. There is the scent of the undead, but also something even worse. An eldritch horror from the outer planes. A daemon of some description lies nearby.

However, Mahasset's sense of smell also discovers something within this room, something touched frequently by human hands, then hidden. In a secret nook that you discover, lay four wands. Each of them is inscribed, to tell them apart and with a command word to activate them, but you have trouble making out their purposes just by looking at them.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as Mahasset scents the eldritch horror, he abruptly shifts into man-form again.

“Hold here,” he tells the others curtly; “—there is something fouler than undead close by. Be ready for unholy creatures, and things worse than unholy.”

With that, he glances briefly at the wands, casting Detect Magic and examining each one, but always alert for whatever may be lurking nearby.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (arcana)
    (1d20+14)[26]

Knowledge (arcana)
    (1d20+14)[16]

Knowledge (arcana)
    (1d20+14)[30]

Knowledge (arcana)
    (1d20+14)[15]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Heeding Mahasset's oddly vague warning, Vesrin draws his sword before intoning a word magic and hopping down through the trapdoor.

"Plainly, now. What is it you've sensed?"

Stepping nearer to the door at the far end of the room, he will then attune himself to the subtle magics of his surrounding, attempting to discern any lingering magical trace left by whatever entity has the samsaran so concerned.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Vesrin will expend 2 spell points via his Advanced Alternate Divinations talent to grant himself touchsight out to a range of 45 ft. for the next 8 hours.

He will use his Ritual Tracker ability to attempt to detect the prior passing of the creature Mahesset scented. Spellcraft: (d20+20)[34] plus free Inspiration (1d6)[2].

Knowledge (Planes) to identify the creature: (d20+25)[28] plus free Inspiration [1]
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-07-09 at 07:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Warlish looks a little embarrassed.
    "Hold a moment! If there's likely to be bloodshed ahead, I've an... odd talent of sorts to offer. Without this amulet keeping it suppressed, the odor of my rotten frame is... well, a bit overpowering. Can sap the strength and will to fight from the mightiest! It was a bit of an albatross growing up, to be certain! But if you wait a moment I can bless you all with friendly winds - it'll keep any dust or gas safely at bay in the depths, to say nothing of my own aroma."

He turns to the ghul.

"Do you... smell, still? I can give you the same favor. I hope you can consider yourself among friends, for so long as it may last."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Edar’Kear-Throden jerks in reaction to the fox turning into a man but quickly recovers. It’s vaguely like when he turns his companions into dragons after all. He then opts to slowly scoot in the opposite direction of the horror and investigate that way for traps.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Edar’Kear-Throden detects no traps in that direction.

The ghul responds, "I no longer breathe, so I cannot smell. But I also warn you that I cannot fight the Prince's servants. I am bound to his service, and it is all I can do to restrain myself from fighting you."

Vesrin detects the powerful traces of a Maladaemon, a powerful outsider. There are also traces of more ghuls. An unknown number, but definitely more than one.

Mahasset manages to identify the wands fairly easily, based on the icons etched into their handles.

Show

Vesrin can identify the daemon, but the roll wasn't high enough to really learn anything about their kind's strengths or weaknesses.

15. - Top - End - #165

PirateGuy

Warlish will shrug and give a protective shell of clean air to each of his living allies.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm." After a moment of careful consideration, Vesrin wrinkles his nose. "I think these are the signs of maladaemon. Not a quarry I've had the pleasure of hunting before."
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-07-13 at 02:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    "Ma-la-dae-mon". Esmaeel considers the combination of syllables, but nothing sparks in his recollection. He snorts. "I hope regular enchanted steel will do". .

Semper ludens.

18. - Top - End - #168

PirateGuy

"And lightning!"

Warlish smiles and electricity crackles around him. While he continues, he pulls out a wand, granting Mage Armor to himself and both his snakes after a few failed attempts.

"Give me a moment to prepare, then open the door! I'll divide them with a wall of electricity."

After making sure everybody is in place and ready, he'll begin gathering power...

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

"The Meladaemons serve the Horseman of Famine. The creature induces crippling hunger in all who approach," Majeed stated as though quoting from a text, giving a short summary of the creature and its capabilities. His next statement was grimmer, and certainly his own words: "Needless to say, Ardent must be kept away from it, lest he lose control."

With that, Majeed took up a place by the door, ready to charge in with blades drawn.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2023-07-16 at 12:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Edar’Kear-Throden ponders placement of traps but ultimately decides to just wait. Instead he shuffles off to a side and proceeds to just call forth so many insects. He then settles into the gaggle of locust he just vomited up and maneuvers the menagerie of bugs that seemed to call his folds of clothes home.

Spoiler: Heard you like minions
    Show
    Gonna chill in the space that my locust swarm (Austrat) occupies and send forth the conjured swarm (Maurg) to join the peeps preparing to kill a demon.
    New job, who dis?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    "Ma-la-dae-mon". Esmaeel considers the combination of syllables, but nothing sparks in his recollection. He snorts. "I hope regular enchanted steel will do".
    Vesrin shrugs with his brow. "The lower planes breed a resilient monster, but it tends to get the job done." At that, he raises his own steel, and with a finger from his free hand, begins to trace a series of glyphs along the length of the blade. He then unbuttons his coat and traces a similar set of magical markings across his chain shirt.

Show
    Vesrin will expend 2 spell points with his Enhance Equipment talent to enhance his sword and his amor to +4 for the next 8 hours.
    Last edited by rypt; 2023-07-16 at 11:34 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As you finish preparing and open the door, you see a large room. This sprawling chamber contains numerous massive bookshelves that are overflowing with tomes. Alcoves carved into the walls contain a dizzying array of scrolls and bric-abrac. Stacks of books litter the floor as well, some torn apart and scattered.

You see what can only be the daemon moving along the bookcases. It takes books down, opens them, looks inside, then tears the pages out and then puts the books back on the shelves. It is being assisted by three ghuls, which seem placid at the moment as they serve the daemon. The ghuls are dressed similarly to Ardent.

Show

Can I please get a Perception check from each of you, and an initiative check if you plan to go straight into combat.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Perception
    (1d20+18)[35]

Initiative
    (1d20+9)[16]

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The party detect a secret door in the southern wall between two bookshelves.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-07-20 at 02:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    Esmaeel takes in the scene for a brief moment, then rushes towards the daemon, intent on killing.
    Spoiler: Attacks, if and when we get to it
    Show
    Move up to 30'. Free actions: Berserker Stance, Berserk for temp HP. Standard: Brutal Strike with Advancing Carnage against the Daemon: attack - (1d20+16)[20], damage - (3d10+44)[51]+Battered for 3 rounds, -3 to attack and damage while battered. If the attack hits, Esmaeel uses Advancing Carnage 2 to attack the ghuls, he can keep attacking as long as he hits. He is using a reach weapon and can take 5' steps between attacks.
    advancing carnage 1 - (1d20+17)[35], damage - (1d10+23)[29]
    advancing carnage 2 - (1d20+17)[32], damage - (1d10+23)[29]
    advancing carnage 3 - (1d20+17)[25], damage - (1d10+23)[33]

Semper ludens.

26. - Top - End - #176

PirateGuy

(1d20+4)[12] Initiative
    (1d20+16)[26] Perception

Warlish is not normally the first to jump to violence, but from what he gathers this demon is responsible for the torturous existence he'd just heard described by the Ardent, or in league with those who are. A spool of wire coiled in the palm of his gauntlet comes to life with an outpouring of telekinetic force and lashes out at the monster as he enters the room!

Spoiler: 5 foot step, full attack with Maximized Bowling Kinetic Whip
    Show

(1d20+15)[28] vs AC, 58 damage plus (1d20+18)[36] vs. CMD to trip
    second attack if it's close enough to 5 foot step and attack with reach:
    (1d20+15)[25] vs AC, 58 damage plus (1d20+18)[34] vs. CMD to trip
    Burn kept at 0 from taking a full round Gather Power

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Majeed charged straight at the daemon with a prayer on his lips, beseeching the Dawnflower to protect him as he plunged at the heart of the foe.

Spoiler
    Show

All attacks made against the daemon, if possible. Majeed can charge over difficult terrain and may attempt to overrun up to 3 creatures; allies that are in the way can simply choose not to try to stop him.

In case some CMB checks are needed:
    (1d20+19)[30]
    (1d20+17)[23]
    (1d20+15)[19]

If one fails, Majeed stops in the square of (presumably) a ghul and will make his attacks against it instead.

Swift Action: Activate Radiant Dawn Style
    Full Round Action: Initiate Raging Hunter Pounce (Charge and Full Attack)
    - Radiant Dawn Style heals Majeed for 18 HP; as he is already full this becomes 18 Temp HP via Radiant Sunlight
    - Sunset grants Esmaeel 12 Temp HP

Attack (MH): (1d20+19)[31]; Damage: (2d6+26)[37] (Power Attack)
    Attack (OH): (1d20+19)[32]; Damage: (2d6+23)[32] (Power Attack)

Attack (MH): (1d20+14)[24]; Damage: (2d6+26)[32] (Power Attack)
    Attack (OH): (1d20+14)[27]; Damage: (2d6+23)[33] (Power Attack)

Attack (MH): (1d20+12)[23]; Damage: (2d6+17)[25] (Not Power Attack)
    Attack (OH): (1d20+12)[14]; Damage: (2d6+14)[20] (Not Power Attack)

Additionally, if Majeed or an ally is attacked in melee after his turn, he will initiate the Reversing Thrust Counter. Guardian's Aura allows him to activate it on behalf of an ally. Dance of Thrashing Claws allows him to use it an additional time after first initiating it.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Edar'Kear-Throden frowns at the mess that waits for them and then frowns again at the improbability of using darts in such a confined area. He mutters to himself for a few seconds before setting up the most basic of dart traps to shoot a needle at the demon, all with the sole purpose of seeing if they bleed. At about the same time Maurg the conjured swarm buzzes on over to occupy a bit of the area and nibble on the demon hungrily.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    EKT
    Standard: Cast Death - Bleeding Wounds on the demon.
    Skilled Casting: (1d20+16)[20]
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+15)[35]
    Spell Resistance Check: (1d20+9)[15]

If all that works: 12 Bleed Damage and makes the square it's in slippery for 10 minutes.
    Bleeding Wounds does 9 bleed damage, Sanguine Magic lets me apply Duelist to it for another 3 damage and then applies Blood Fountain to it.

Move: Then just gonna move on back to the little alcove away from everything.
    Swift None

Swarm
    Standard: Total Defense?
    Move: Buzz on over to the daemon, taking up a 10ft x 10ft cube that involves it and no allies
    Swarm Damage: (4d6)[12]
    Fort Save DC 19 or be nauseated for a round.
    Will Save DC 19 or lose (1d6)[1] Spell Points?
    Swift None
    New job, who dis?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"I'll blast all of the ghuls with pure positive energy. None of you are undead, right?" He glances around to see if anyone raises their hand before channeling to harm undead, leaving out Ardent.
    Init:
    (1d20+2)[13]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The sudden flurry of attacks manages to take down all of the enemies before they can even react. Silence descends on the room once more. You are now standing in a blood covered chamber full of bookcases, with a secret door to the south between two book cases.