New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Feast of Dust IC

For his part Edar'Kear-Throden maintains his position near the back. He understands how a giant ten legged spider could be concerning to those that don't know how much of a sweetie Ossalur really is. Left to his own devices he starts to ponder how hard it'd be to scale the walls, not that he'd actually break and enter if the front door would work fine.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    "I am not here to be turned away like a common street ruffian".
    "Nor am I. I am Majeed al-Dimayeni, a servant of the Dawnflower, and indeed this town's native son."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The party is at the eastern gate of the compound, and three guards stand on what appears to be a platform constructed within the ten foot high walls. The leading guard, or at least, the spokesman for the guards, studies the party closely for a brief time, then calls out, "Greetings, strangers to this town, and Majeed who comes from here. We have heard tales of your abilities from others you have travelled with. We have been instructed that if you come to us you are to be welcomed within our walls. So enter and make yourselves comfortable."
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-09-04 at 05:23 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you". Esmaeel stands before the gate, waiting for it to open, and gestures the rest of the party forward.
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Bezir somehow expected that to go much more poorly. He keeps his head on a swivel as the golem and he enter through the gate.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

"A pleasure! Thank you for your welcome, and don't mind the snakes! They're quite affectionate."

Despite his pleasant greeting, Warlish keeps a hand close to the amulet around his neck, however.

Though perhaps not the most charismatic sort, Warlish will open conversation if nobody else will.

"We came seeking the wisdom of Master Sayid, but only found a mystery! Are you perhaps friends of his, do you know where he might be found?"
    Last edited by Paddywagon Man; 2023-09-10 at 10:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The guard offers a chuckle, then says, "Aye, Master Sayid is here. He is staying here as a guest of the Whitewater family. You are as welcome here as he is."

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

Can I please get a Sense Motive check from everyone.

8. - Top - End - #218

DwarfClericGuy

Bezir looks around casually but warily.

(1d20+6)[18] Sense Motive

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    sense motive - (1d20+16)[23]
    Esmaeel seems the very picture of calm, holding his polearm casualle pointed at the ground, patting his horse and gently explaining to it that he is just going to go in and talk to some people. But even a semi-trained observer can see that he is tensed and expecting danger.

Scout stance * Perception +22 * Double Focused * HP 92/92
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2023-12-01 at 09:01 AM.
    Semper ludens.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The members of the party realise that there is more to the guard's words than might be expected. It doesn't seem like there is any implicit threat intended, but there is definitely something about Master Sayid's situation that is apparently more than the guard explained.

11. - Top - End - #221

DwarfClericGuy

"As welcome as he is? What does that mean? Can we come and go as we please?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel pushes on the gate, to see if it will open.
    Semper ludens.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The gate opens to let you inside. The guard calls out, "You are best off staying inside our protective fortress. Master Sayid has had no cause to leave since he arrived here. You will surely thank us when the disease strikes the town more fully." The guard's words this time have the ring of truth.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

When the disease strikes the town more fully? Perhaps he is merely being pessimistic, but still.

Majeed decided against pressing the guard for more information. Showing suspicion of them would invite suspicion in turn, and the gate guards likely didn't know much to begin with. "Very well. I shall look forward to thanking the Whitewaters for their hospitality."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    Esmaeel pushes the gate open, and walks his horse inside the courtyard. He leads it to the post, but doesn't tie it there, merely whsipers "Stay here". That done, with a glance backwards to ensure everyone is following him in, he marches up to the main door, pushing it open if the staff hasn't managed that already, and steps inside.
    He is still carrying arms and armor. But his polearm is in his shield hand, clearly requiring an action to draw into play, leaving his right hand free for polite greeting.

Last edited by CasualViking; 2023-12-14 at 02:11 PM.
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #226

DwarfClericGuy

Bezir follows Esmaeel and instructs the golem to bring the little wagon/cart/chariot/whatever inside as well. He then silently counts the number of guards and assesses their readiness.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It is hard to assess the number of guards, as they come and go into view, but there are a significant number of them. Two guards come out and close and bar the gates once everyone is inside, presumably to prevent incursions.

You enter the foyer to the main building. Visitors and petitioners hoping to speak with a family representative normally wait here, surrounded by comfortable chairs and expensive artwork. The large bronze front doors are locked.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    Esmaeel looks around at the furniture, nodding appreciatively. He doesn't avail himself of it, though, choosing to remain standing. "I'm still not sure if we're heading for a conversation or a slaughter".

Last edited by CasualViking; 2023-12-18 at 05:02 AM.
    Semper ludens.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Majeed likewise remained standing. Aside from anything else, the swords at his hips would have made sitting awkward unless he took them off his belt, and he wanted them ready to hand.

He kept as cool a face as he could while he whispered his reply, waiting until they chanced on a moment of relative privacy. "Conversation first. Whether we must soon mount a rescue, or purge a den of evil, or simply cut our way out of a trap, we can use all the information we can get."

With similar caution, he addressed the group as a whole. "If we sit politely and await the Whitewaters' pleasure like any other petitioners, the gods only know what might happen in the meantime. Unless anyone has a better idea, I will insist on speaking with Master Sayid with all haste, even if I must invoke every mandate at my disposal."

Spoiler
    Show

While we are loitering, Majeed will study the various passersby with Detect Evil.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Esmaeel Naffar
    "Indeed", he murmurs back to Majeed. "I don't want to start breaking down doors, but if it turned out that those doors weren't locked after all, I would certainly walk through them. Make your play, I have your back all the way".

Last edited by CasualViking; 2023-12-19 at 12:31 AM.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Whether they mean us harm or not, he didn't seem all too concerned about the village being overtaken by disease. I haven't seen enough to judge, but even if they prove not to be enemies... I can't simply sit in safety and abandon the world outside the walls, as I worry may be the plan here."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

After waiting a moment to hear any objections, Majeed moved to flag down the next servant he saw. Better a servant than a guard, he reasoned, but if none could be found then a guard would have to do.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive if possible, to try to pick out who might be most helpful.
    (1d20+14)[23]

Also keeping up Detect Evil as he goes.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There are no real signs of evil from anyone you encounter. The servant you flag down is polite, and on request, he leads you into the reception hall.

Crystal-clear pillars rise up to meet the domed ceiling 15 feet overhead. Three tapestries adorn the walls here, depicting a beautiful woman adventurer braving various desert trials: giant scorpions, slavering gnolls, and a marid princess among them. There is a set of doors to the west, which the servant whispers belong to the entrance to the Whitewaters' private chambers. The six crystal pillars hold water from the spring, with small spigots in each so guests may refresh themselves at their leisure.

A man stands within a circle of three guards, fighting with them with speed and passion. Just as you consider going to his aid, he steps back and lowers his weapon, causing the guards to do likewise. "Good. Let us try that once again. I am sure there is a better counter," he says to the guards, and they wordlessly raise their weapons and charge to attack the solo man once again. Weapons whirl as they fight, and even the battle hardened party is impressed by the solo man's skill.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-12-21 at 01:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hail, warrior, and pardon the interruption. We must speak with the Whitewater family, or their representative here, with the utmost urgency. I am Majeed, al-Dimayeni, and a servant of the Dawnflower, and these are my trusted companions." A rushed introduction, to be sure, but his haste was earnest. He winced inwardly at pretending he was in charge of the party, but no right-thinking folk would dissemble with a Paladin of Sarenrae in such times—and a concerned local citizen, on top of it. Best to have them believe the whole group had divine sanction. If the Whitewaters tried to delay or divert him, he would consider it proof enough of their duplicity that he would forge ahead as he saw fit.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy if needed: (1d20+20)[30]

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The lone warrior gestures with his blade, and the three sparring partners break off the combat and step back respectfully.

"You are in luck, then, Majeed. I am Kardag Whitewater, one of the clan. What brings a holy warrior here? If it is interesting enough, I may bring you through to an audience with the leaders of the clan," he says serenely.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting, he says, as placid as you please. He is either genuinely ignorant or he believes us to be utter fools.

"We must speak with Master Sayid on a matter of urgent import, concerning the plague. We were told he is a guest of your family, in this compound, and such is our need of haste that we must unfortunately bypass the usual pleasantries and protocols."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+20)[40]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+14)[19]

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kardag looks interested, and suddenly a more canny figure than you might have thought him by his martial skills. "Master Sayid is indeed here. But it will require you to speak with the Whitewater Council to be approved to see him, as he is in reclusion. I can take you there immediately, if your need is so great," he says, sheathing his sword.

28. - Top - End - #238

DwarfClericGuy

"Huh," Bezir mumbles to himself. "I thought he might challenge one of us to a martial display of prowess. This is quite preferable." He looks at the nearest party member hopefully.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

"Our need is great enough that we should go to Master Sayid directly. How long will the Council take to be assembled, and make their decision once we have laid forth our case?" Majeed shook his head before he leaned forward and lowered his voice conspiratorially. "His life is in danger. A minute's delay might make the difference. On my oath to the Dawnflower, I will go to him straight away, even should it mean seeking the Council's forgiveness rather than their permission."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kardag looks almost amused. "The rest of the Council should be hearing supplicants in the next chamber. And if you are suggesting that you will force your way into my home, then you will have quite the fight against the full might of the WHitewater Family. Master Sayid is perfectly safe within the boundaries of our compound, so I have grave doubts about your concerns. I will take you through to see my family, however, if it is serious enough that you exaggerate so," he says.