New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Any d&d related video games?

Like, any good ones for ps4 or pc?

Basically an rpg that either has a dice roll or something. And you do all the role playing things of classes, and a party.

Cross classing and yadda yadda.

Endorsed by dungeons and dragons i guess, and single player is fine but multiplayer is cool too.

I like rpgs, but I'd love to try an authentic dungeons and dragons style game since no one plays near me.
    Vae Victus!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Any d&d related video games?

Dozens, really.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ns_video_games

Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights are the famous ones.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2023-02-16 at 11:41 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

This one. It's not exactly D&D but it has a similar vibe. And it's retro and original.

Abathor: sword & sorcery arcade up to 4 players. More info here

I just love that 80s feel.

Last edited by Blas_de_Lezo; 2023-02-24 at 10:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights are the famous ones.
    Baldur's Gate cannot be recommended enough. Despite its age, it is still a marvel of roleplaying. And the sequel is even better. The game is pretty heavy on story, so if you prefer something more hack-n-slash heavy, go for Icewind Dale and its successor.

Heard good things about NN, but never got around to playing it, so can't really comment on that one.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I enjoyed Solasta: Crown of the Magister. It uses the 5e rules versus some of the older real D&D games and was a fun time. It does make a few minor changes and streamlines class/race options. At first I thought it was 5e with the serial numbers filed off but turns out it's based off the SRD 5.1 so that explains it. In any event, it'll feel pretty close to a real game of D&D with dice rolling and modifiers and whatnot displayed, familiar races, classes, spells and even some feats to pick.

One nice thing about it is that it is very customizable. Stuff like enemy strength and treasure and ration usage and random encounter frequency and tons more are all changeable to get the sort of game you want. It also supports user-made content and the Steam workshop has a ton of user-made dungeons and campaigns to download.

All that said, it's not a AAA game and so there's a fair amount of jank from some of the graphics/voices to a pretty standard story plot which is just enough to hang the mechanics on. I think the intent was more to develop a system others could use to develop games on and the existing campaign, while complete and serviceable, is almost more proof-of-concept (albeit with cutscenes).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you're okay with a bit more MMO in your D&D Dungeons and Dragons Online just turned 17 years old and is still going. (Can't say strong but it's going.) New Mini expansion later this year and a huge amount of content behind it. Multi-classing? Got it a plenty. Replayability? 180 past lives to earn and counting.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm always a fan of restored content KotoR 2. It's a 3d skin over a star wars rpg system. Although if you want strictly DnD and reveling in it, Bioware's NWN, which due to the infinite content generation of over a decade of user-generated stories has almost half the content of KotoR 2 with the restored content mod.

Or if you want more of directly controlling characters inside of an RPG system, I am partial to Tyranny.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pathfinder isn't quite D&D, but it's very close, and I've been enjoying Pathfinder: Kingmaker so far. As far as tabletop-accuracy goes, it is making all the rolls and you can even hover over the combat log and see every factor that went into each one (so if you want to learn how Pathfinder 1E works, it's good for that too). And if we're counting the old Baldur's Gates, Pathfinder 1E is probably closer to 'modern' D&D than the D&D 2E rules that BG1 and 2 use anyway.

I've heard that the second Pathfinder CRPG, Wrath of the Righteous, is the better of the two, but I haven't gotten there yet. Also, Baldur's Gate III looks very nice, but I couldn't really say anything about it; it's in Early Access, but I'm waiting for the full release (now announced as August 31).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Baldur's Gate cannot be recommended enough.
    Thirded. Baldur's Gate I & II is one of the best game experiences out there in my opinion, and it has a great D&D flavor -- I think across the two games, you fight nearly every monster in the Monster Manual. It really spoils you for character choice and enemy tactics (especially when you get heavily into the modding communities on playthroughs 5 and onward )

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Thirded. Baldur's Gate I & II is one of the best game experiences out there in my opinion, and it has a great D&D flavor -- I think across the two games, you fight nearly every monster in the Monster Manual. It really spoils you for character choice and enemy tactics (especially when you get heavily into the modding communities on playthroughs 5 and onward )
    Totally agree. I think I've played the series somewhat regularly (as in, every couple of years or so) ever since the first game came out. Wait, that was 25 years ago? Now I feel old...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Totally agree. I think I've played the series somewhat regularly (as in, every couple of years or so) ever since the first game came out. Wait, that was 25 years ago? Now I feel old...
    I still remember the agony of freeing up the MASSIVE memory space it took to install all those disks on your computer. Still got my original discs, too.

Would recommend. I've bought the series at least 6 different times throughout the years. Different devices, you know?

12. - Top - End - #12

Oh and for fun I just checked gog and they appear to have the FR gold box games on it. I'm pretty sure that's as close to pure DnD one can get
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I still remember the agony of freeing up the MASSIVE memory space it took to install all those disks on your computer. Still got my original discs, too.

Would recommend. I've bought the series at least 6 different times throughout the years. Different devices, you know?
    The day my family finally got a top-of-the-line computer and I could do the "FULL INSTALL" option that means you don't have to swap out disks between the city and the countryside -- I felt on top of the world.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    The day my family finally got a top-of-the-line computer and I could do the "FULL INSTALL" option that means you don't have to swap out disks between the city and the countryside -- I felt on top of the world.
    Back when 200MB was a lot of memory, hahaha

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I bought two copies of Baldur's Gate so my wife and I could play together! That was a fun time! The only problem was that many of the NPCs that could join your party were really annoying. Only bought one copy of BGII and BGII Throne of Baal. Much better NPCs.

I've also got the original 3 1/2" floppy discs for Gateway to the Savage Frontier and Treasures of the Savage Frontier. I got Dragonstrike, the Dragon Flight sim, and Death Knights of Krynn. Plus the CD of the Gold Box Games collection.

Those games were so much fun! I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to run on my modern PC.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I bought two copies of Baldur's Gate so my wife and I could play together! That was a fun time! The only problem was that many of the NPCs that could join your party were really annoying. Only bought one copy of BGII and BGII Throne of Baal. Much better NPCs.
    Yeah, I think most people would agree about the second game having better NPCs. Though I've usually found a lot of BG1 NPCs forgettable rather than annoying, if only in relation to BG2's more memorable ones.

I've also got the original 3 1/2" floppy discs for Gateway to the Savage Frontier and Treasures of the Savage Frontier. I got Dragonstrike, the Dragon Flight sim, and Death Knights of Krynn. Plus the CD of the Gold Box Games collection.

Those games were so much fun! I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to run on my modern PC.
    Have you tried DOSBox? That's usually my go-to for old games (assuming, of course, that they have a DOS version).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Yeah, I think most people would agree about the second game having better NPCs. Though I've usually found a lot of BG1 NPCs forgettable rather than annoying, if only in relation to BG2's more memorable ones.

Have you tried DOSBox? That's usually my go-to for old games (assuming, of course, that they have a DOS version).
    They also re-released these games on Steam recently. So for anyone who doesn't want to deal with DOSBox themselves, they can buy them there.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blas_de_Lezo View Post
    This one. It's not exactly D&D but it has a similar vibe. And it's retro and original.

Abathor: sword & sorcery arcade up to 4 players. More info here

I just love that 80s feel.

I mean there's an officially licensed D&D game like this that's really good (Chronicles of Mystara), no need to go digging for knockoffs!

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2023-02-28 at 01:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    They also re-released these games on Steam recently. So for anyone who doesn't want to deal with DOSBox themselves, they can buy them there.
    Yeah, I'd recommend anyone just buy them via Steam or GOG (where they've been for years) as they're already optimized for modern systems. Played Curse of the Azure Bonds from GOG about five years back and it worked much better than when I used DOSBox to replay it off a CD-ROM in the mid 2000s. I think I had to slow my Pentium processor something stupid like 90% so my characters wouldn't just teleport around the screen. I shudder to think of trying to manually adjust it on a 5GHz processor in 2023.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2023-02-28 at 01:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I was wrong. My copy of Gateway to the SF is on a 5 1/4" floppy. (Plus a copy on the CD-RoM).

I'll need to give Galaxy of Games a look then. I hope they're not expecting real money for these CGA games...

Now I just need to decide if the collection is worth $40. It does include the Dark Sun games, which I never got to play...
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-02-28 at 08:52 PM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

21. - Top - End - #21

Underrail. It's clearly based on 3.5 and fallout; plays like single-player D&D.

22. - Top - End - #22

Now I just need to decide if the collection is worth $40. It does include the Dark Sun games, which I never got to play...
    If you're not in a hurry, they've gone on sale via GOG for pretty low before.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. Searching on GoG under RPGs for SSI, Gold Box, TSR, and/or Dungeons and Dragons yields zero matches...

Am I searching wrong?

Edit: "Krynn" finds the "Dungeons & Dragons: Krynn Series", but searching under the listed publisher only finds that series.

Okay, searching "Dungeons Dragons" gives better results, (also finds the Dark Sun series and the Ravenloft series, but none of the other Gold Box games.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-03-01 at 08:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Try "Forgotten Realms Collection"
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

https://www.gog.com/en/game/forgotte...collection_two

That's your classic Gold Box collection for $10 right now (looks like an RPG sale)
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2023-03-01 at 07:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Amazon is giving away Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition:

Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game Free for a Limited Time

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, I bought the Gold Box games on Steam, and was playing Death Knights of Krynn. Two days ago my party was exploring Dargaard Keep. Today when I fired up the game my saves were gone. Characters were gone, too. Anyone have this happen to them?

30. - Top - End - #30

The best D&D computer game in my opinion is Temple of Elemental Evil by Atari.

It's good on its own but I highly recommend installing the Circle of Eight Modpack and the Temple Plus mod. These fan mods add a bunch of bigfixes and quality of life improvements, as well as an extra adventure after the main one (Co8) and a bunch of extra races and classes which although official didn't make it into the original game (T+)

I also quite like Dark Queen of Krynn but unlike ToEE, DQK hasn't aged well
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)