New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Should I take monk, or...?

I'm about to start Red Hand of Doom (set in Eberron), and since my previous idea fell through, I want to play a monk. Stats are 15/15/14/14/13/10 to start; starting level is 5.

Yes, I realize monks tend to suck. So does the DM. So for this campaign, they've been given full BAB. Since I've never done a monk before, this seems like the best chance. (Yes, I know swordsages are better; but I've tried them and want a change of pace.) Anyhow, I noticed the Sacred Fist PrC from Comp Divine, and it intrigued me.

For a melee support character (I know better than to front-line), which is the better option? Going with pure monk gives more Stunning Fist uses and a lesser flurry penalty, with Improved Trip and a second attack next level. On the other hand, Sacred Fist (which I'd go into next level, as Cleric 3/Monk 2 now) gives cleric spells, including the Strength Domain... but they're at a slower progression than normal, and I'd lose some handy combat tricks.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Should I take monk, or...?

Sacred Fist is inevitably going to be better, because it spellcasts. Take Practiced Spellcaster; at CL 6, a simple Divine Favor gives +2 AB/damage--alternatively, spells like Shield of Faith boost your AC.

Consider Intuitive Strike from the BOED and crank Wisdom with Strength secondary--you'll be boosting bonus spells and spell DCs as well as AC and AB. Take the War domain, and eventually pick up the Holy Warrior feat from the Complete Champion (and buy the Gauntlets of War from the same book).
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2007-12-03 at 09:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

RHoD has some pretty specific party recommendations, so you might want to try and build a monk that can fill one of these vital roles. If you can give more information on the party, I can give you help trying fill in the role you want.
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4

RHoD? The rest of the party is still undetermined at the moment, unfortunately.

Why the War Domain? The weapon focus isn't that great, and the spells look less than stellar.

5. - Top - End - #5

Zombie

RHoD=Red Hand of Doom
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicled View Post
    Why the War Domain? The weapon focus isn't that great, and the spells look less than stellar.
    Weapon Focus isn't all that great, but you get it for free. See if you can get a god with War that favors Unarmed. Divine Power is a great buff, and since you can't wear armor, Magic Vestment is nothing to sneeze at.
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Rama_Lei View Post
    RHoD=Red Hand of Doom
    *hits forehead* Ah.

The DM hasn't chosen the party members yet (it's PbP), but I'd like to be an enabler of some kind--buffer, melee support (stuns, trips, etc), and the like, with a decent amount of flexibility.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would go for probably take a one-level dip into wizard get the Arcane Disciple (the feat that gives you a divine domain) and get the spell Blood Wind that will make your fists long range. But as far as the Sacred Fist thing goes, i wouldnt get it. (trust me as an experienced monk-er) I would get Tatooed monk, or just "Stay the Course" and go full on monk.
    I'm the Official Monk Advocate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Excuse me while I invent a spell to scrub my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    If you play cheese, never complain when you are killed by it.
    Stuff:
    Force Adept

Magician

Proud Hobgoblin slayer of the Daigo Fanclub - So glad You found your Soul Mate!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moogle View Post
    I would go for probably take a one-level dip into wizard get the Arcane Disciple (the feat that gives you a divine domain) and get the spell Blood Wind that will make your fists long range. But as far as the Sacred Fist thing goes, i wouldnt get it. (trust me as an experienced monk-er) I would get Tatooed monk, or just "Stay the Course" and go full on monk.
    I don't think wizard would work with this.

Do you have reasons that I shouldn't take Sacred Fist? I'm more than willing to trust your opinion, but I'd like to know the reasoning behind it. Tattooed monk didn't seem impressive, but straight monk seems like it could be as much fun as Sacred Fist.