New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: BisectedBrioche's Brilliant Bread Random Banter Bthread #243

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's revenue, not profits, but given how the comic scene is quite vibrant, i would imagine its not the bare-bones market toure making it out to be.
    Okay, fair, I'm playing a bit fast and loose with what I mean, but it does feel like manga has a more successful methodology than comics in the west do.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Yeah, that is (or was) the case here in Sweden as well, as I understand it they do better in Europe than in their native US.
    I was tempted ro say Europe in general but decided to play it safe.

Also, having read some od those back in the day and seeing the quality, im going to out thst more down to "i cant really find stuff like that over here nearly as easily".

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Okay, fair, I'm playing a bit fast and loose with what I mean, but it does feel like manga has a more successful methodology than comics in the west do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Google
    The global manga market size was estimated at USD 10.9 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 12.13 billion in 2022.
    Your overall point is correct, though I question the reasoning behind it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-01 at 10:52 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

By all accounts you did in fact pick up the two worst books of the New 52, is my understanding. Oops.
    Guardians of the Galaxy is marvel ;)
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I mean, it seems like (US)Americans have a much dimmer view of comic books than Europeans in general, seeing them as kid stuuf rather than an art form/legitimate medium in its own right. I suspect that's related to the industry over there being dominated by two giants who have insisted on milking the same characters for sixty years nonstop, but there's probably more to it.
    I mean, the view of comics in the UK isn't that great, but it seems to be better than the one in America. Our home production did end up dominated by a single company, but that has to do with us being a lot more vulnerable to US media than the mainland is.

I said publishing as in literature, non-fiction books, comic books and the written press.
    What's a literature?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I want to be clear that I was absolutely combining all non-manga into a grab bag of "Western comics" since my understanding of the discussion is that it was arguing the differences in sales- which are true. While I can't say anything myself for how well Asterisk sells, on a whole I was under the impression that comics weren't that profitible, except for Manga.

If that's incorrect, do advise.
    A friend who worked at Dargaud told me that when doing accounting, they run their math a second time without taking Astérix into account because of course a year where they publish an Astérix album is going to be good year and that skews the results.

Comics aren't doing as well as they used to, but that's because publishing in general hasn't been doing well these last few decades.

Manga is definitely the leading style, and Japanese comics dominate the market both in Europe and in the US (can't tell ypu for other places without looking it up, but I suspect so).

Western comic books do still bring in lots of money. Like Peelee said, I don't think they're going to stop making Donald Duck comics any time soon. Hell, there seems to be a new trend of adapting non-fiction, vulgarisation books into comic books. I've seen it done with Homo Sapiens, a book about the mechanisms of religion, one about the economic policies under the Fifth French Republic and one with Thomas Piketty's Capital.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #36

Your overall point is correct, though I question the reasoning behind it.
    My point is that we were having a conversation about ways western comics could improve viability of the indie stuff that people want more than the big two, but don't have an easy way to access or know about. It devolved into talking about which group has a better economic standing, which is tangently related but not really what I care about at the heart of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy is marvel ;)
    Look I'm at work and tired!

A friend who worked at Dargaud told me that when doing accounting, they run their math a second time without taking Astérix into account because of course a year where they publish an Astérix album is going to be good year and that skews the results.

Comics aren't doing as well as they used to, but that's because publishing in general hasn't been doing well these last few decades.

Manga is definitely the leading style, and Japanese comics dominate the market both in Europe and in the US (can't tell ypu for other places without looking it up, but I suspect so).

Western comic books do still bring in lots of money. Like Peelee said, I don't think they're going to stop making Donald Duck comics any time soon. Hell, there seems to be a new trend of adapting non-fiction, vulgarisation books into comic books. I've seen it done with Homo Sapiens, a book about the mechanisms of religion, one about the economic policies under the Fifth French Republic and one with Thomas Piketty's Capital.
    Yeah, not arguing they're not. I don't really personally care about which makes more money, it was just a tool in my argument that western comics need to be better about discoverability in indie works. Like these ones you're talking about, I bet tons of people would love to read them if they knew they existed at all.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

That's revenue, not profits, but given how the comic scene is quite vibrant, i would imagine its not the bare-bones market toure making it out to be.
    I think, again, looking at sales numbers is more relevant here. ~200k copies sold for a series is considered a smashing success for an individual series, when discussing just American comic books.

$1B sounds like a lot of money when you take it in a vacuum, but that is every comic sold in a year by every single comic publisher in the US combined. I'll remind you that Circuit City was also pulling about $1B in revenue the year the company went bankrupt. That is really not a ton of revenue for a BUSINESS, much less an INDUSTRY.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, not arguing they're not. I don't really personally care about which makes more money, it was just a tool in my argument that western comics need to be better about discoverability in indie works. Like these ones you're talking about, I bet tons of people would love to read them if they knew they existed at all.
    Oh, hard agree. I think the root of the issue is the same as with most media these day (most famously cinema) that most of the capital necessary to launch, complete and distribute a project is concentrated into the hands of huge corporations that are incentivized into caring about profits first of all and artistic merit least of all and are therefore very risk-averse when risk is the soul of creativity.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #39

Oh, hard agree. I think the root of the issue is the same as with most media these day (most famously cinema) that most of the capital necessary to launch, complete and distribute a project is concentrated into the hands of huge corporations that are incentivized into caring about profits first of all and artistic merit least of all and are therefore very risk-averse when risk is the soul of creativity.
    As someone who has published a novel that a lot of people really would like if they ever had a reason to read it: Yeah. It be like that.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

You did it the most right!
    I would like to clarify that was deliberate (I spelled Random properly because I thought the readability of Random Banter was more important than the bit). :p

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Tbh I do it because the UK comics industry is basically dead. I don't remember anything being easily available when I was a kid bar the Dandy and the Beano (home of the real Dennis the Menace), not even 2000AD, and I'm not sure even they get physically released anymore.
    The Beano still is, I believe.

Personally I was more of a Buster kid.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2023-03-01 at 11:31 AM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

(accidental double post, sorry!)
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2023-03-01 at 11:31 AM.
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Tomorrow, around 8PM CST, marks the 5th day of having Samiderm on my tattoo, which is when I can finally peel it off and just switch to applying lotion 3-5 times a day.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I think the root of the issue is the same as with most media these day (most famously cinema) that most of the capital necessary to launch, complete and distribute a project is concentrated into the hands of huge corporations that are incentivized into caring about profits first of all and artistic merit least of all and are therefore very risk-averse when risk is the soul of creativity.
    Indeed. A big part of this is that larger corporations, like any monolithic organization, suffers from large overhead and other diseconomies from scale; they can take a loss from what would have "only" been an anemic profit for a smaller business.

And Disney, to pick one I've heard about in particular, is still suffering from a risk they took: Disney+, despite being one of the world's largest streaming services by subscribers, lost $1.5 billion dollars last year. (As the article leads with, Disney is considering shrinking down by selling off intellectual property; if anyone's looking to buy Star Wars off of them, this may be the time.) Also cutting $3 billion from their production budget, so I imagine they're going to try coasting on name recognition for as long as it works....

It's an interesting point on distribution capital, come to think of it....The emergence of digital media is changing what distribution can look like, e.g. downloads and viewing being way faster and cheaper than prints and shipping; and the huge companies that well predate the Internet struggle to adapt their long-standing business model to it. Conversely, the Giant can make a profit while putting the overwhelming majority of his comics in the open for the world to see.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Disney is considering shrinking down by selling off intellectual property; if anyone's looking to buy Star Wars off of them, this may be the time.
    Now i just need to convince a bank to let me use Star Wars as collateral for the loan.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Tomorrow, around 8PM CST, marks the 5th day of having Samiderm on my tattoo, which is when I can finally peel it off and just switch to applying lotion 3-5 times a day.
    Hell yeah! Hope that goes well love!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Hell yeah! Hope that goes well love!
    Thanks. It still freaking hurts right now, which makes sense but still sucks.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2023-03-01 at 02:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

There are loads of webcomics these days. They don't all publish daily, or even weekly, though a lot do. There are a lot of webserals too.

There used to be so many comics back in the day, comics, boy's comics, girls comics, hippy comics There was even a comic for kids whose parents hated comics.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2023-03-01 at 03:33 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Fun Fact: Before the Hay's Code was adopted, the most popular comic genre was horror.

Then it proceeded to basically kill off anything but whimsical adventures about people with superpowers.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Fun Fact: Before the Hay's Code was adopted, the most popular comic genre was horror.

Then it proceeded to basically kill off anything but whimsical adventures about people with superpowers.
    Yep, it's largely responsible fornDC's silver age - cant go against the code if your stories are about Superman needing to eat an endless stream of hamburgers.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-01 at 06:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I went to Reddit a few days ago to look at a Flintstone alignment chart and one of the comments got me laughing about we're not doing this alignment chart argument again, this always happens.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2023-03-01 at 07:10 PM.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

21. - Top - End - #51

That feel when you're watching a reddit compilation video and you're 90% sure that the first story was from your high school.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #52

OH. MAN.

So i get my workout done and i hit the pool and steam room at the end as a little treat for myself like normal, and then i walk outside. And its like 9:15pm at 75° with a moderately strong wind. It felt just like the Gulf Coast. Brought me back to PCB immediately. I didnt want to get in the car. It just felt so amazing.

If it weren't for my family's plot up here I'd probably be cremated and be dispersed into the Gulf. It's my happy place.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

OH. MAN.

So i get my workout done and i hit the pool and steam room at the end as a little treat for myself like normal, and then i walk outside. And its like 9:15pm at 75° with a moderately strong wind. It felt just like the Gulf Coast. Brought me back to PCB immediately. I didnt want to get in the car. It just felt so amazing.
    Twenty five degrees until the water boils, and you claim it feels good?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Twenty five degrees until the water boils, and you claim it feels good?
    A nice balmy 24°C, if you are insist on not heeding freedom degrees.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-02 at 07:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: This says things about society, but very few of them, and none important
    Show

EDIT: I was reminded of this by Mystic announcing she'd gotten a tattoo, and that's why I posted it, but it is not a direct response and no value-judgement is intended.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2023-03-02 at 07:14 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #56

So apparently KFC is bringing back the Doublr Down sandwich.

THIS WAS THEIR BEST MENU ITEM EVER AND I SHALL BROOK NO DISSENT.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Whatever tattoos say or doesn't say about society, the fact that I've been thinking about getting a tattoo (but never getting around to it) for about 20 years now probably says something about me.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Spoiler: This says things about society, but very few of them, and none important
    Show

EDIT: I was reminded of this by Mystic announcing she'd gotten a tattoo, and that's why I posted it, but it is not a direct response and no value-judgement is intended.
    Oh boy, you are not supposed to tan with tattoos. Can make them fade quickly and inconsistently. If you're gonna be in the sun, use at least SPF-50!

So apparently KFC is bringing back the Doublr Down sandwich.

THIS WAS THEIR BEST MENU ITEM EVER AND I SHALL BROOK NO DISSENT.
    I'll give it a try this time around.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Whatever tattoos say or doesn't say about society, the fact that I've been thinking about getting a tattoo (but never getting around to it) for about 20 years now probably says something about me.
    10 years instead of 20 for me but other than that, same boat. Back when I wanted one i had a system. Whenever I thought of a design i liked, id wait a year, and if i still liked it as much id get it tatooed. I have no tattoos. I no longer want one, and ironically i realized there exists a design i am very familiar with that would absolutely have passed that test - if i hadnt been so oblivious when i was younger I'd totally have some form of the Imperial Cog on my body.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd totally have some form of the Imperial Cog on my body.
    That fits with the fact that you're becoming a cop soon.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.