New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: BisectedBrioche's Brilliant Bread Random Banter Bthread #243

Clearly the answer is to switch to the viewpoint of Rebecca, a hitherto unseen character who isn't the most powerful thing in the universe and this more interesting I jest, but 'watch strong get stronger' isn't interesting to me.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Ok, we'll need to get more creative. How about Moby **** (goddamnit, not the auto-censor again), but! we interpret everything between Captain Ahab and the whale as belligerent sexual tension.

Or Frankenstein, again interpreting everything between Frankenstein and his monster as belligerent sexual tension.
    So we're picking between beastiality and incest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If i hear "Frankenstein" I think of the creation. If I hear "Dr. Frankenstein" I think of the creator. Titles are useful.
    Victor Frankenstein never got any degree.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post

Any German ish man who can sew me back together and make me alive gets to call themselves doctor. Him and Medic from TF2.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

... yeah, I'm going to stop trying to solve this problem. My demented mind is reaching for ever more deranged solutions.

Sorry Wizard, you're on your own with this one.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Any German ish man who can sew me back together and make me alive gets to call themselves doctor. Him and Medic from TF2.
    Victor Frankestein is a French-speaking Swiss and "the creature" wasn't "sewn back together".
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2023-03-19 at 03:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Victor Frankestein is a French-speaking Swiss and "the creature" wasn't "sewn back together".
    I mean, Adam may have been. The book doesn't really go into detail on how he was assembled and animated, only that Victor did something to unliving matter.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #757
    Colossus in the Playground

Still, sewing him back together would imply that he was in one piece, to begin with.

He was either created whole cloth or assembled from pars from many sources.

...Personally, I like the interpretation that he was a work of alchemy.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, Adam may have been. The book doesn't really go into detail on how he was assembled and animated, only that Victor did something to unliving matter.
    Nope, all it says is that Victor snatched bodies from cemetaries for his experiments, but that doesn't mean he ever assembled them. Body snatching is a long tradition for people illegally studying human anatomy.

The fact the creature has larger than usual organs also implies he grew those organs rather than collect them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Still, sewing him back together would imply that he was in one piece, to begin with.

He was either created whole cloth or assembled from pars from many sources.

...Personally, I like the interpretation that he was a work of alchemy.
    Indeed. Victor's whole backstory is that he grew up reading alchemy books thinking they were actual medical science until he got into a proper medical school. It is strongly implied his success came from combining modern medicine and alchemy. "Adam" is almost certainly an homonculus (which is supported by the fact that he has no memory of a previous life which you'd expect if he were reanimated).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #759

Furthermore, I do believe that official illustrations typically do not depict Adam with scars or stitches.

...I also kind of like Fate/Apocryphas take on the Creature.

Here, Frankenstein's Monster is depicted as being sort of a middle ground between mundane science and magecraft. She* is flesh and blood for the most part and is sometimes stated explicitly to be a homunculus, but also has inorganic parts such as wires running through her body that maintain a flow of electricity that sustains her metabolism. Essentially a middle ground between the Novel's version and the most popular conception shaped by the universal films.

Her backstory from her creation to her orignal death is, other than her sex/gender, otherwise a 1-1 parallel to the novel... Though people who meet her in the modern day have a tendency to assume that there was something wrong with Victor given his rejection of her. She looks fine and even as a Berserker Class Servant(who trade some of their ability to function for raw power) she's still... I don't know if I have the word to articulate the idea.

We never see her in "life" except in brief flashbacks, and I don't know if this was the intent, but as Berserker she sort of comes across as high-functioning but non-verbal autistic. And the non-verbal part is explicitly becuase she's a Berserker, she could talk just fine when she was alive.

*Here Victor tried to start with a perfect woman planning to make his perfect man afterward rather than the other way around.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

He was highly regarded at his university and successfully brought life to a being with electricity.

I would say he earned an honorary doctorate.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #761

Well, they shouldn't have killed her dog.

Or whatever it was that set her off.

so John Wick is not a good person and arguably does not deserve a happy ending given what he did before he retired, but I've seen people in complete seriousness review those films and say that he overreacted and that "it was just a dog."

...Tell me you've never had a pet without telling me you've never had a pet, am I right?
    She's a teenage assassin hired by the government to kill criminals and cover up any of their crimes so Japan keeps its squeaky clean no-crimes record. There's no passion about it she's just really good at killing.

Also watch Lycoris Recoil.

There is in fact a movie where a man, stricken by grief following the death of his wife, tears through the seedy underbelly of the local culinary scene after his pet pig was stolen under the mistaken assumption that it was a truffle pig.

It is considerably less violent than the Wick movies, however. He's less concerned about getting revenge and more about getting his pet back.
    Not gonna lie... With that in context I think that he's acting positively restrained.

Like, in his potion I would consider "they killed my dog becuase I didn't want to sell my car to them" to be a valid reason to do what he did in response.

Throw in what that dog, in particular, meant to him and... Yeah.
    Pig is an incredible film.

It's just called Pig.

It's a rare serious role from Nicolas Cage and one of the few that doesn't milk his tendency to go Ham. He personally considers it his best film.

...Pun not intended.
    He's right probably!

Observation: Samus Aran's "most powerful metroid" form from the climax of Metroid Dread most closely resembles a metroid larva rather than any of the more mature forms, except, obviously, Metroid Prime's "Dark Samus" form which isn't exactly a naturally occurring life-stage.

Samus's metroid DNA was sampled from a, Metroid larva with the genetic Markers necessary to become a queen.

Conclusion: Despite arguably being the single most powerful lifeform in the galaxy, Samus still has room to grow.
    I'm very excited to see where Samus will grow from here...

RE: FATE and how the Holy Grail represents individuals within it, apparently by canon it turns them into what their idealized, true selves are. This means that by Fate canon, various historical characters are trans! I think this is neat! There's even historic flashbacks for one such character (a ninja I don't know the details I don't go here). She's shown in a far more realistic- and male- persona in the historic flashback, but as a Servant she's an anime girl.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2023-03-19 at 09:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Pig is an incredible film.
    Agreed.
    He's right probably!
    Disagree. Lord of War takes that top spot.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    If I do that, there's no one available to commission!
    I also did some commissions recently. Or... made? Does doing a commission mean you pay for it or do the art? Or is it both... I think it could go either way... urgh English is wei

I paid some people to do character art for me.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #764

Double checking, he didn't say it was his best film, he said it was his best performance.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if X-men has already done this or not but....what if there was a group of superhero vigilantes who seem like normal batman types and act like they need to be examples to the rest of humanity as to what they can really do so as to give them hope against all these people with strange powers.....but it turns out they're just mistaken. their powers like super-intelligence and super-skill and durability and so on are just mutant abilities, just subtle ones that don't make them look weird, and when one of the X-men points this out and explains away all their improbable or impossible feats as just as being mutants and that truly normal people would just die doing what they would do, it causes a bit of a breakdown as a result. I think there is potential in such an idea.

(you can't do this with actual Batman no matter how much some people wish otherwise due to Being The Batman(TM).)
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #766

Double checking, he didn't say it was his best film, he said it was his best performance.
    Ya know, I think I'll agree with that. He was amazing in it.
    I don't know if X-men has already done this or not but....what if there was a group of superhero vigilantes who seem like normal batman types and act like they need to be examples to the rest of humanity as to what they can really do so as to give them hope against all these people with strange powers.....but it turns out they're just mistaken. their powers like super-intelligence and super-skill and durability and so on are just mutant abilities, just subtle ones that don't make them look weird, and when one of the X-men points this out and explains away all their improbable or impossible feats as just as being mutants and that truly normal people would just die doing what they would do, it causes a bit of a breakdown as a result. I think there is potential in such an idea.

(you can't do this with actual Batman no matter how much some people wish otherwise due to Being The Batman(TM).)
    I have no idea why, but this reminded me that the 2010's were an interesting time for the big comic companies - Marvel dominated the movie scene but couldn't make a decent game, while DC kept dropping the ball like it was soaked in grease on their movies but put out some of the best superhero games ever made, practically redefining the genre.

17. - Top - End - #767

Agreed.

Disagree. Lord of War takes that top spot.
    Okay fair it's been awhile since I've seen Lord of War.

18. - Top - End - #768

Okay fair it's been awhile since I've seen Lord of War.
    Spoiler: Me enjoying Lord of War and laughing at Yuri's crazy antics, knowing its largely based on true stories from real arms dealers
    Show

19. - Top - End - #769

The problem with that is that Marvel defines "superhuman" at a lower bar than what humans are theoretically capable of.

Like if you train hard enough, you can be as good as Captain America at any given physical activity or attribute.

If you start young enough, 18 years of very careful diet and exercise will just... Make you equal to Captain America. Michael Van Patrick got all of his sports trophies and academic rewards revoked for "cheating" despite multiple tests proving he had no chemical enhancement or genetic alteration when it was discovered that he was Dr. Erskine's Great Grandson and raised from birth on a regimen meant to make super soldiers.

..And any human can theoretically learn to be telepathic or have superhuman senses and a psychic radar.

The closest I can think of is Graydan Creed: founder of the Friends of humanity, a group meant to protect humans from mutants(and aliens, more recently) but that in practice is just domestic terrorism and hate crimes.

Graydon is human.

His biological parents are Raven Darkholme and Victor Creed, who are mutants.

He... Was not happy to learn this.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #770

Like, why can't revenge films be over the top romances instead? 'You killed my father, so now I'm going to spend two years seducing your son into the gayest relationship seen on screen!'
    I was going to say, wasn't that Dangerous Liaisons? But on looking it up,
    1) there have been many versions, and the one I found that is based around gay relationships (maybe best not linked here, but there's a description on Wikipedia) is probably not one of the ones I've heard of,
    ii) I was probably thinking of the incestuous undertones in Cruel Intentions, another adaptation of the same story, and
    c) none of them involve a revenge for murder plot, they just do it for kicks and one-upmanship.

... I can kind of see why "seduction" wouldn't be someone's first thought for revenge, when the original offence was "murder". But hey, revenge is best served cold, right?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I got new [reading] glasses on Friday afternoon and was fairly happy with them at home over the weekend. But, back to work today.... best day at work in months! For once I could see everything and read paperwork and screens clearly. No changing zoom on screens, no adjusting my seating position, no peering over my glasses, or moving stuff around. I just had to remember to change to my normal glasses every time I walked out of the office. This should also mean no headaches late afternoon every couple of days. I really wish I'd done this 6 months ago when things weren't as clear as they used to be.
    I'm also very happy that I got a good deal on the frames and lenses too. New glasses are not something I like having to pay for which is part of the reason I delayed.

Look after your eyes!

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

RE: FATE and how the Holy Grail represents individuals within it, apparently by canon it turns them into what their idealized, true selves are. This means that by Fate canon, various historical characters are trans! I think this is neat! There's even historic flashbacks for one such character (a ninja I don't know the details I don't go here). She's shown in a far more realistic- and male- persona in the historic flashback, but as a Servant she's an anime girl.
    Yeah, but isn't it mostly used as an excuse to have more saberfaces? Although I think if we're lucky RtL might kill off that trend, which would be nice as I actually really like the genderflips that aren't just a redo of Saber.

Also grumble grumble why don't we have an anime of Prototype? I honestly find Prototype's Saber more interesting because of him actually accepting the consequences of his actions and this instead having the wish to try again in the modern day.

Show

23. - Top - End - #773

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I was going to say, wasn't that Dangerous Liaisons? But on looking it up, 1) there have been many versions, and the one I found that is based around gay relationships (maybe best not linked here, but there's a description on Wikipedia) is probably not one of the ones I've heard of,
    If it's the same one I found when I googled around a bit, they also dropped the feuding families part of the story. At that point, is it even Romeo and Juliet anymore? I was under the impression the feuding families part was pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I was going to say, wasn't that Dangerous Liaisons? But on looking it up, ... I can kind of see why "seduction" wouldn't be someone's first thought for revenge, when the original offence was "murder". But hey, revenge is best served cold, right?
    The kind of stories that come to my mind are those in which Alice seduces Bob's ex out of revenge against Bob for stealing (or 'stealing') Alice's partner. Or Bob cheating on Alice as revenge for Alice cheating on Bob. And as I write that down it looks really petty, but then again, vengeance is petty.

24. - Top - End - #774

It is currently 27°F/-3°C.

I LIVE IN THE FROZEN WASTELANDS OF HELL ITSELF. I need to go further South. This is the only reasonable response to such an affront to my senses - nay, to the very existence of life itself.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I LIVE IN THE FROZEN WASTELANDS OF HELL ITSELF. I need to go further South. This is the only reasonable response to such an affront to my senses - nay, to the very existence of life itself.
    Oh please. Thats barely even cold. I bet you didnt even put the milk out in the snow overnight in case you lost power.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Just put a long sleeved shirt on, you'll be fine.

Show

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that's just a couple of degrees colder than where I am and here it feels like practically spring.

28. - Top - End - #778

You have all clearly gone mad from the cold. I need to go to Miami. Its 60F/16C there. A nice, reasonable March temperature.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

You have all clearly gone mad from the cold. I need to go to Miami. Its 60F/16C there. A nice, reasonable March temperature.
    Any environment which requires air conditioning in houses was not meant for human habitation

Show

30. - Top - End - #780

Any environment which requires air conditioning in houses was not meant for human habitation
    .... You need air conditioning for 16C? Its worse than I thought. You're too far gone.