New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: BisectedBrioche's Brilliant Bread Random Banter Bthread #243

My idea on fictional heaven/hell would be they are the same place, there is only the one, it's a particular soul's view of the place and the other souls that makes it bad or good. If you like adoring the godhead, there's plenty of that, but there's nothing else, and if you have an ex, they are there.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    While that project is on indefinite hiatus, they were definitely the latter. Except not see through. They tended to get by due to just kind of blending in with the crowd and occasionally getting new clothes.
    Neat! Gotta imagine that's tricky... do they need to kill their clothes to wear them?

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    My idea on fictional heaven/hell would be they are the same place, there is only the one, it's a particular soul's view of the place and the other souls that makes it bad or good. If you like adoring the godhead, there's plenty of that, but there's nothing else, and if you have an ex, they are there.
    Fascinating! I know this isn't remotely what you said but this reminded me of "heaven for cats is hell for mice" and how that's just, a really fun phrase.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'm not sure why you would think such an immense aversion to cream cheese would be a normal thing that "most people" have.
    Ah! I think I see the source of the disconnect here:

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    There are very few problems that can't be solved by getting together with your friends and talking about the problem over a cheesecake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I imagine most of them involve people (like myself) grossed out by the very thought of a cheesecake.
    The intended antecedent of them is problems, rather than friends.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Ahhhh, that makes more sense.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Random amusement of the moment: planning to DM my first 5e campaign, and daughter (middle-schooler) has let me know she wants to play an Aarakocra. She read the description and saw that it could look like a parrot instead of an eagle, so she's going with that. I asked her what class, and she wants to go with Bard.

It is taking literally all my willpower to not suggest a Jimmy Buffett theme.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway. I finish my very first horror story on Wattpad. It's called Mu The Demonic Dragon.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    Related: I looked it up on the etymology dictionary, which says:

1827, "action of arousing, state of being awakened," from arouse + -al (2). Sexual association is from c. 1900.

Which means that there was a period of about 70 years where you could say things like "I'm aroused right now" without the sexual connotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I don't think you're being extremist here. Polygraphs are simply nonsense. If anything I wish more people would vehemently object to pseudo-science, because it's pretty harmful if that kind of stuff gains wide spread credibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Not extreme at all.
    Appreciate the support.

I am positive that they do.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.
    Separately, i suspect that their view may be anyone who "fails" is just them weeding out the weaker candidates. It's also possible everyone passes the polygraph and its just a remnant that they are unable to get rid of for whatever reason. But I'm more inclined towards the former.

Passed the first time, i went through all this and got into the program already, had to leave due to a short term medical issue. Can't take too many days out before they are forced to remove you to keep their accreditation. I have to do it again at end of month.

As for why i was nervous, again, that's cause things hit different when you're in the hot seat.

Let's say you're arrested for a crime you didnt commit and are going on trial. You're going to be nervous about the verdict, even though you know you are innocent, because what actually is the case and what actually happens don't need to line up.
    You may be right. You certainly have more experiences with polygraphs and the state perspective than I do. If so, then I think their view is unfair and untrue (like the example of the firefighter).

Wow, they make you take it again? That sucks. I wonder what they expect from a second polygraph round. Like, if you pass the first time and fail the second, would they think that something's wrong with their polygraph?

I like the analogy. Similarly, the innocent person has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Random amusement of the moment: planning to DM my first 5e campaign, and daughter (middle-schooler) has let me know she wants to play an Aarakocra. She read the description and saw that it could look like a parrot instead of an eagle, so she's going with that. I asked her what class, and she wants to go with Bard.

It is taking literally all my willpower to not suggest a Jimmy Buffett theme.
    I had to look him up, so I wonder if your daughter (who's younger than I am) would've understood the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So anyway. I finish my very first horror story on Wattpad. It's called Mu The Demonic Dragon.
    Congrats on your achievement!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.
    I misunderstood. Thought you said you hoped the feds wound know they're not accurate, you really said future feds. And I don't quite agree; future feds may not have given it much, if any, thought beforehand. So long as training on them is up to snuff (eg "these don't detect less, but you can pretend like they do to gain a potential edge in interviews) that's fine by me.
    You may be right. You certainly have more experiences with polygraphs and the state perspective than I do.
    Federal perspective, technically. And that perspective is mostly just answering questions.
    Wow, they make you take it again? That sucks. I wonder what they expect from a second polygraph round. Like, if you pass the first time and fail the second, would they think that something's wrong with their polygraph?
    Yep, and it sucks. Have to retake the psych eval too, and medical and physical agility test. If anyone has to retake and fail (i imagine retakes to start with are uncommon) I don't they much care about why the results matter. It's not like they're hurting for recruits, and someone else will pass with flying colors.
    I like the analogy. Similarly, the innocent person has nothing to gain and everything to lose.
    Yep. Not an ideal situation but they many the rules for me to join their club, so I'm gonna jump through the good they tell me to.
    I had to look him up, so I wonder if your daughter (who's younger than I am) would've understood the
    Sounds like you need to waste away in Margaritaville.

What about ABBA? I read a thing once that recommended you pick one song, practice it, and have that be the age in the hole to break out of you ever need to do karaoke. Not bad advice. I think Fernando should be my go-to. Love that one.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly enough people think that the polygraph is a lie detector to make it a valid psychological tool. In the case of recruiting for the dark cops I imagine they're testing your ability to stay cool under pressure more than actually thinking they'll catch you in a lie.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Honestly enough people think that the polygraph is a lie detector to make it a valid psychological tool. In the case of recruiting for the dark cops I imagine they're testing your ability to stay cool under pressure more than actually thinking they'll catch you in a lie.
    That's definitely not true, since it means any smuck they pick up off the street that gets put into the detector is gonna read as guilty because they're afraid of what happens if it says they did it. Among other reasons that might skew the results of the machine. One of them self-feeding loops.

On top of that, lie detectors aren't admissible in court because of that lack of reliability.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That's definitely not true
    That's definitely true. The claim wasnt "people believe its true so it tends to work accurately". It was "people believe its true so its a valid psychological tool". Its NSFW (language) so i cant link to it but check out The Wire's lie detector scene for a very simple example. It's incredibly useful psychologically. And everything in that scene is almost certainly admissible in court. Just not the way one might initially expect.

ETA: And this is why you dont talk to the cops. Because you may think you know about fighting and maybe even take martial arts in your downtime but they are professional boxers who have matches everyday and there's just no reason to voluntarily get in the ring when the best outcome is you win nothing and the worst outcome is you get sent to the metaphorical hospital.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-06 at 09:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I have an issue with one Simpson episode which boggles my mind:

Homer Simpson went to a mental institution because he wear a pink shirt.

How is wearing a pink shirt constitute insane? If I remember correctly, pink is a masculine color.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2023-03-06 at 11:02 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193

That's definitely true. The claim wasnt "people believe its true so it tends to work accurately". It was "people believe its true so its a valid psychological tool". Its NSFW (language) so i cant link to it but check out The Wire's lie detector scene for a very simple example. It's incredibly useful psychologically. And everything in that scene is almost certainly admissible in court. Just not the way one might initially expect.

ETA: And this is why you dont talk to the cops. Because you may think you know about fighting and maybe even take martial arts in your downtime but they are professional boxers who have matches everyday and there's just no reason to voluntarily get in the ring when the best outcome is you win nothing and the worst outcome is you get sent to the metaphorical hospital.
    In my defense it was early and I misread the post I responded to. Though I do need to watch The Wire...

I mean, while one could make arguments for or against how competent an officer is in a fist fight, it's not the hooves but the horns you need to watch out for. And those won't sent you to a metaphorical hospital but a literal morgue- or send someone else. So yeah, don't talk to cops! They're not your friend.

------

On the interest of changing topics to something safer: while pink used to be a masculine colour, that shifted. The era that episode came out, boys wearing girl colours was seen as Insane because They Were Gay and that was a crime. It's despicable.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2023-03-06 at 11:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

How is wearing a pink shirt constitute insane? If I remember correctly, pink is a masculine color.
    It used to be but has become a more feminine color in the last few decades

Also I haven't seen the episode but my assumption would be that the show was exaggerating for comedic effect.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Is there any more context or can you tell us more about the episode so we can determine which one it is?

Traditionally speaking, pink is considered a feminine color nowadays, and Blue is considered masculine, though it used to be reversed.

Wearing pink doesn't seem to be enough to be condemned to a mental institution.

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

Also I haven't seen the episode but my assumption would be that the show was exaggerating for comedic effect.
    Not actually that far an exaggeration. It used to be a crime.

EDIT @Mystic Muse: Yup, nowadays! But I think I recall that episode and it's from an era closer to where it used to actually be!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2023-03-06 at 11:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Is there any more context or can you tell us more about the episode so we can determine which one it is?

Traditionally speaking, pink is considered a feminine color nowadays, and Blue is considered masculine, though it used to be reversed.

It's the episode where Homer Simpson meets a man who thinks he's Michael Jackson in a mental institution.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2023-03-06 at 11:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

I would have to see the actual episode in question, but the plot deacription on Wikipedia doesn't make it sound like being gay is a factor. Mister Burns thinks Homer is an anarchist for wearing a non-white shirt to work and refers him for mental help. Bart is a menace and tells the psychiatrist Homer is crazy in multiple ways, and he gets condemned after trying to choke an inkblot that looks like Bart.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2023-03-06 at 11:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199

I would have to see the actual episode in question, but the plot deacription on Wikipedia doesn't make it sound like being gay is a factor. Mister Burns thinks Homer is an anarchist for wearing a non-white shirt to work and refers him for mental help. Bart is a menace and tells the psychiatrist Homer is crazy in multiple ways, and he gets condemned after trying to choke an inkblot that looks like Bart.
    Okay, to clarify: in real life, that was a sign of it. That's why it was used in the show.

I misunderstood the question, and did not realize we were only talking within the show itself. (though I'd argue, the anti-anarchist sentiment of Burns is absolutely tied to the real life reason too)
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2023-03-06 at 11:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, to clarify: in real life, that was a sign of it. That's why it was used in the show.

I misunderstood the question, and did not realize we were only talking within the show itself. (though I'd argue, the anti-anarchist sentiment of Burns is absolutely tied to the real life reason too)
    Fair, and I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm just trying to understand and make sure I'm understanding.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I would challenge the assumption that Homer should not be locked up in some sort of institution entirely on his own merits without needing an external reasoning like the color of the shirt he wears.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Not actually that far an exaggeration. It used to be a crime.

EDIT @Mystic Muse: Yup, nowadays! But I think I recall that episode and it's from an era closer to where it used to actually be!
    Dressing in drag used to be a crime (and in some places still is) >.> I tried looking it up but I've seen nothing to suggest wearing the color pink was ever a crime... and I'd find it odd if it did because the color pink was seen as masculine until around the 1940s

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I would challenge the assumption that Homer should not be locked up in some sort of institution entirely on his own merits without needing an external reasoning like the color of the shirt he wears.
    Pretty much, yeah.

Though to be fair given the show he's on...
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2023-03-06 at 11:21 AM.

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #203

Fair, and I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm just trying to understand and make sure I'm understanding.
    Fair, fair, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I mean yeah all things being equal, absolutely.

Dressing in drag used to be a crime (and in some places still is) >.> I tried looking it up but I've seen nothing to suggest wearing the color pink was ever a crime... and I'd find it odd if it did because the color pink was seen as masculine until around the 1940s

Pretty much, yeah.

Though to be fair given the show he's on...
    The specific wording on the laws in question leave it vague, saying only that you're not allowed to wear clothes that don't conform to your gender. Pink is a female colour. Ergo, it could constitute as drag for the purposes of some idiots.

I'm not even a big fan of drag as an art form, but laws against it are pig-headed, and **** like this is why.

24. - Top - End - #204

I mean, while one could make arguments for or against how competent an officer is in a fist fight,
    I meant all that metaphorically, and assuming im reading wrong and you're continuing thr metaphor, you dont need to be Mike Tyson - mid and low ranked professional boxers still fight more and train better than Average Joe.

He was given a psych eval because Mr. Burns is a ****, had Bart fill it out, and turned in a psych eval saying he had every red flag listed.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Decades? I don't remember pink being masculine, "blue for boys, pink for girls" was what was said when I was a kid, and that's a long time ago.

The film "Operation Petticoat" pretty clearly establishes pink as a faminine colour, and that's from 1959:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Petticoat
    Last edited by halfeye; 2023-03-06 at 11:33 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #206

I meant all that metaphorically, and assuming im reading wrong and you're continuing thr metaphor, you dont need to be Mike Tyson - mid and low ranked professional boxers still fight more and train better than Average Joe.
    Fair, and I'm well aware of that. I was just questioning the reality of said physical fitness of those individuals in question. Metaphorical speaking, of course.

ANYWAY, I hope everyone is having a good day today.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Decades? I don't remember pink being masculine, "blue for boys, pink for girls" was what was said when I was a kid, and that's a long time ago.
    I was being generous, on the assumption it happened before I was born. Looked it up between posts and the switch between the two happened some time in the 1940s.

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #208

Fair, and I'm well aware of that. I was just questioning the reality of said physical fitness of those individuals in question. Metaphorical speaking, of course.

ANYWAY, I hope everyone is having a good day today.
    Ha! Fair. There are usually physical fitness requirements for joining, but seeing as all agencies are independent from each other and may or may not use the same, or even any, accrediting bodies, entry requirements and ongoing requirements can differ vastly.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I was being generous, on the assumption it happened before I was born. Looked it up between posts and the switch between the two happened some time in the 1940s.
    Okay, that's strange: the film "Operation Petticoat" pretty clearly establishes pink as a faminine colour, and that's from 1959 and was set in WW2:

Maybe before colour films it was more variable, but there was definitely colour photography before colour films.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2023-03-06 at 11:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Okay, that's strange: the film "Operation Petticoat" pretty clearly establishes pink as a faminine colour, and that's from 1959 and was set in WW2:

I choose to believe that means pink represents lack of food.