New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: BisectedBrioche's Brilliant Bread Random Banter Bthread #243

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Okay, that's strange: the film "Operation Petticoat" pretty clearly establishes pink as a faminine colour, and that's from 1959 and was set in WW2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Petticoat

Maybe before colour films it was more variable, but there was definitely colour photography before colour films.
    An explanation for that is that Woman's Lib started really catching fire in 1960, so the ramp up to that might have shifted the colours.

But that's the limit of my personal research given I'm at work.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2023-03-06 at 11:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, that's strange: the film "Operation Petticoat" pretty clearly establishes pink as a faminine colour, and that's from 1959 and was set in WW2:

That's entirely consistent with pink being perceived as a feminine color since the 1940's.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I choose to believe that means pink represents lack of food.
    I hope I catch 90% of my typos, but some do slip through, especially if I'm in a hurry.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I hope I catch 90% of my typos, but some do slip through, especially if I'm in a hurry.
    I'm hardly one to talk, i just thought that one was unintentionally hilarious. In a very specific way.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe before colour films it was more variable, but there was definitely colour photography before colour films.
    How is that weird?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

While I've heard that pink used to be a "masculine" color, this discussion made me realize I didn't have any idea about why it suddenly became "feminine" and according to Wikipedia (normal warnings about trusting it apply, I'm too lazy to check their sources at the moment) it's a pretty funny "want of a nail" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The First inauguration of Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953), when Eisenhower's wife Mamie Eisenhower wore a pink dress as her inaugural gown, is thought to have been a key turning point in the association of pink as a color associated with girls. Mamie's strong liking of pink led to the public association with pink being a color that "ladylike women wear."
    A first lady picks a certain dress and accidentally decides the perception of a color for decades to come. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    How is that weird?
    I'm not saying it's weird, it seems inconsistent with "decades" because that only takes us back to 2000, but it wouldn't be weird.

I just found a page saying that before the 1800s both blue and pink were both for boys and girls, which seems much more likely to me than a sudden swap.

Basically, it happened before I was born, it probably happened long before you were born, and it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2023-03-06 at 12:15 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm not saying it's weird, it seems inconsistent with "decades" because that only takes us back to 2000, but it wouldn't be weird.

I just found a page saying that before the 1800s both blue and pink were both for boys and girls, which seems much more likely to me than a sudden swap.

Basically, I happened before I was born, it probably happened long before you were born, and it doesn't matter.
    Why would it only take it back to 2000?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    While I've heard that pink used to be a "masculine" color, this discussion made me realize I didn't have any idea about why it suddenly became "feminine" and according to Wikipedia (normal warnings about trusting it apply, I'm too lazy to check their sources at the moment) it's a pretty funny "want of a nail" situation.

A first lady picks a certain dress and accidentally decides the perception of a color for decades to come. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.
    White is the traditional wedding dress color because Queen Victoria did it.

People love to emulate their leaders.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

it seems inconsistent with "decades" because that only takes us back to 2000,
    What do you call a period of time more than two decades but less than a century? It's clearly not "3 to 9 decades" because that would make it "decades" which you just said it wasn't.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

White is the traditional wedding dress color because Queen Victoria did it.

People love to emulate their leaders.
    True, though at least in that case it was only about what to wear for a specific occasion, rather than the view on an entire color.

On a similar note, I've heard suggested that the standard formal wear for men (dark suit, white shirt) since forever is specifically based on how Beau Brummell dressed, but I'm not sure if it's true.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    What do you call a period of time more than two decades but less than a century? It's clearly not "3 to 9 decades" because that would make it "decades" which you just said it wasn't.
    It's 4 score years, duh. Did you not pay attention in history class?

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    It's 4 score years, duh. Did you not pay attention in history class?
    I remember four score and seven minutes ago.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I remember four score and seven minutes ago.
    I thought it was four scores and seven seconds ago.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

True, though at least in that case it was only about what to wear for a specific occasion, rather than the view on an entire color.

On a similar note, I've heard suggested that the standard formal wear for men (dark suit, white shirt) since forever is specifically based on how Beau Brummell dressed, but I'm not sure if it's true.
    Sure, but wearing white for general day-to-day wear is a lot less practical than other colors – it shows schmutz and stains, thus needing harsher cleaning more often, thus wearing out sooner. Before the last few decades, when clothes were made and expected to last, that would be rather expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Sure, but wearing white for general day-to-day wear is a lot less practical than other colors – it shows schmutz and stains, thus needing harsher cleaning more often, thus wearing out sooner. Before the last few decades, when clothes were made and expected to last, that would be rather expensive.
    To add onto this, having a dress for one and only one specific occasion is also wildly impractical. I hear women used to get married in dresses they already had, which also tended toward the colorful.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, it happened before I was born, it probably happened long before you were born, and it doesn't matter.
    Number I found was the 1940s, which is 80ish years. That's still decades.

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #228

To add onto this, having a dress for one and only one specific occasion is also wildly impractical. I hear women used to get married in dresses they already had, which also tended toward the colorful.
    If I get married in the sense of "have a ceremony and stuff" I definitely think I'd go for something that is both flashy and good, but also practical to wear on other days as well.

Though I'm as likely to, if I do get married, just invite friends over for food and have a a small sort of get-together, not these wildly expensive 40 person large events where we rent out a venue and ****. I've been on the catering and setup side of those things, and I don't think I could inflict that on anyone.

Of course it all depends. Never say never and all that.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, wedding ceremonies. An opportunity for dozens if not a hundred people to get together and celebrate one of the largest milestones in a person's life. Music, dancing, alcohol, love and partying in the air... everyone saying goodbye to the happy couple before they start their new life together... Where everyone knows your name and wants to talk to you. Nice food, beautiful music, and two of the happiest people in the world.

Sounds like it'd be the most miserable and trying night of my entire life. Which is saying a lot given some of the competition.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #230

Ah, wedding ceremonies. An opportunity for dozens if not a hundred people to get together and celebrate one of the largest milestones in a person's life. Music, dancing, alcohol, love and partying in the air... everyone saying goodbye to the happy couple before they start their new life together... Where everyone knows your name and wants to talk to you. Nice food, beautiful music, and two of the happiest people in the world.

Sounds like it'd be the most miserable and trying night of my entire life. Which is saying a lot given some of the competition.
    Given that the two people getting married have near total control over how the ceremony and reception go, as well as the guest list, id be surprised if you had one and found it miserable.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Given that the two people getting married have near total control over how the ceremony and reception go, as well as the guest list, id be surprised if you had one and found it miserable.
    I hate crowds, I don't drink, I can't dance, and I am very bad at talking to people.

*shrug* Probably wouldn't be as bad as I imagine but all I've got is imagination.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #232

I hate crowds, I don't drink, I can't dance, and I am very bad at talking to people.

*shrug* Probably wouldn't be as bad as I imagine but all I've got is imagination.
    So dont invite a lot of people, dont serve alcohol/dont drunk it yourself, don't have dancing/dont dancr yourself, and of the small guest list only invite people who know they don't have to talk to you.

Again, the couple being married has near total control over how the wedding and reception are arranged. If you are having a wedding and don't like something, the simple solution is to not offer it or not do it.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

In a possibly odd combination, I quite enjoy going to weddings (not only are they usually big parties with good food and booze where it's socially acceptable to make random speeches, but also beneath layers of cynicism I have a surprisingly romantic side which can use some occasional nourishment) but I'm not really appealed by the idea of having one myself. Granted, I'm not much for arranging parties in general, but even with a hypothetical party-planner I'm not that into the idea.

There's also the fact that I was best man at a friend's wedding a few years back and the bachelor party was a lot of "make the groom do embarrassing things for our amusement" and if I give him the chance, I fear he might take some revenge on me.

24. - Top - End - #234

Apropos of nothing, but my bachelor party was my friends taking me to laser tag with pizza and cookie cake.

It was a badass bachelor party.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Apropos of nothing, but my bachelor party was my friends taking me to laser tag with pizza and cookie cake.

It was a badass bachelor party.
    Laser tag? Nice.

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Two people? Yeah, polycules are getting small these days

As for myself, my partners and I do want to get married in the future, but we've given no thought as to the wedding or the legalities of it (i.e. multi person marriages aren't recognised over here). But I'm much, more more excited by the ceremony than the celebration, and thankfully due to family connections I'm not limited to traditional or atheist. Weddings are fun! Parties are not fun. My plan is to have the ceremony, have the speeches early on in the party, and then flee via a strategically placed dingy before my autism gets overwhelmed.

Or only invite about two dozen people. Which sadly means that half of the spaces will be taken up by my immediate family.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Two people? Yeah, polycules are getting small these days
    Imean, until you get into legislation bodies and change marriage laws, I think it's safe to assume two people.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Imean, until you get into legislation bodies and change marriage laws, I think it's safe to assume two people.
    Legality and ceremonies are two different things
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Legality and ceremonies are two different things
    Yes yes, you're very clever.

30. - Top - End - #240

Chapter 20! Saila and Noble make their way to Zarrhdad, as the final quarter of the story begins...

You can read it all here! And I'd just like to say, thank you all for supporting my work by reading it and commenting on it.