New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Merlin (Arthurian Legend) V.S Doctor Strange (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Merlin's Profile is a big image.
    Spoiler: Merlin's Profile
    Show
    [IMG]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRRCLfFeT5I
    "Slut Vision" is a silly way of saying "A glamor spell to change physical appearance". We are not scaling Merlin to his biological father Satan because in my mind that would make Merlin Dormammu, basically and Strange would just lose. The Merlin video cites the sources for Merlin's powers in various stories. Merlin's powers are, if you can't read the profile: Super Strength, Super Speed, Magical Knowledge, Immortality, Clairvoyance, Prophecy, Fire Manipulation, Curse Manipulation, Animal Manipulation, Spell Breaking, Weight Control, Dream Reading, Teleportation, Invisibility, Madness Manipulation, Situational Death Manipulation, Sealing, Glamor spell, Mind Manipulation, Healing Magic, Power Bestowal, Necromancy, Flight, Memory Manipulation, the Power to Build, and a spell that traps a victim with never ending torment.
    V.S

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fand..._and_Abilities
    I put this fight on Vsbattles but Merlin from Arthurian Legend doesn't have a proper profile there.
    Merlin is in quaint cottage in the Calledonian Forest enjoying nature. He sees Doctor Strange teleport and deliberately walk on his lawn. Merlin tells him to get off his lawn and Strange unfolds a lawn chair to lay down ON the lawn. Thus, Merlin challenges Strange to a duel.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2023-03-05 at 12:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Merlin (Arthurian Legend) V.S Doctor Strange (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Comics Merlin stomps comics Dr. Strange.

But legendary Merlin vs. MCU Dr. Strange is a bit harder to say. I would probably give it to Strange, but I need to brush up on Merlin's specific feats to say for sure.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Merlin (Arthurian Legend) V.S Doctor Strange (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post

But legendary Merlin vs. MCU Dr. Strange is a bit harder to say. I would probably give it to Strange, but I need to brush up on Merlin's specific feats to say for sure.
    I might peg Merlin's speed at the lower Spiderman super speed, with that, and his precog, I think he might fry Strange to a crisp.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Are there stories that give Merlin the kind of tactical precognition that would be useful in battle? Knowing what will happen next year, or a thousand years in the future, isn't the same as knowing what your opponent's next move will be.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

The big problem with Book Gandalf and the Merlin of the old legends is that they are a different breed to the flash-bang wizard of today. I was hoping to quote from the afterward of a friend's book (explaining why his mage is so low-key), but while it was a good explanation it would have involved a lot of typing. Essentially:

An old-school wizard doesn't throw fireballs, or at least not to win a fight. His influence is far more subtle and far-reaching. Even the fight is only happening because he has already spent ages moving things behind the scenes so that he has already won. He isn't going to throw fireballs. He is going to arrange it so that his opponent fireballs himself. The manoevers between Merlin and Morgan Le Fay were more like moves in a chess game than straightforward battles.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Merlin has the Avalon* sheathe in some legends, there is no way he can lose as long as he still has mana

*the sheathe that holds Excalibur that gives you a form of immortality where the wounds of the world can not hurt you. You are now timeless. (A 9th level spell effect)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I just re-read the sections of Geoffrey of Monmouth's The History of the Kings of Britain that mention Merlin. There, Merlin shows signs of clairvoyance, in seeing why Vortigern's tower cannot be built. He utters prophesies of the coming years. He has the engineering skills to bring Stonehenge over from Ireland. He disguises Uther as Gorlois to visit Ygerna, along with disguising himself and another companion. He never appears in any kind of a fight.

This version of Merlin would be able to talk Dr Strange off of his lawn.

I expect other sources say different things.
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2023-03-05 at 04:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Doing a little more research, there are some versions of Arthurian Merlin that are insane. Like, some say that he is completely omniscient, commands legions of demons / dragons / fey, and that he was given his powers by the devil as a means of finally overthrowing God (because as a mortal he is outside the divine plan or something). So I would say that yes, some versions absolutely stomp Strange.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

The first post massively confuses me. Where does mythical Merlin ever show superstrength or speed or any of those other powers?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The first post massively confuses me. Where does mythical Merlin ever show superstrength or speed or any of those other powers?
    I'm sure the answer is "somewhere", legitimately.

People talk like "mythical Merlin" or "the Arthurian legend" is some monolith, as if there's some primary source to draw from that acts as an actual canon.

Both have gone through enough rewrites and retcons to make the editors over at DC and Marvel's jaws drop in shock. Being a character in the public domain, who was always fictional to begin with, technically everything ever written about Merlin is "canon". The Marvel Comics version of Merlin is exactly as canon as the BBC tv Merlin from 2008, and both are also exactly as canon as "the Arthurian legend" of Merlin which has changed a quite literally uncountable number of times since his first appearance in the 15th century.

Doctor Strange gets his cheeks clapped because he's finally met someone from a fictional universe with more potential wank and one-off feats to pull from than a comic book character.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2023-03-06 at 10:06 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, sure. I'm not arguing for some canon version, I know how varied myths can be. But I thought I was reasonably well-read in Arthurian myth and while I know various magical feats of Merlin, they mainly include foresight and knowledge, not strength.

Edit: oh, right. If we include TV series and movies that have featured Merlin, then yeah, he can do basically anything.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2023-03-06 at 10:16 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I think it might be from the Merlin miniseries from the late 90s, or even the aforementioned 2008 series? I think he gets force-blasted through a wall at some point and then just shrugs it off. Might be intended as a durability feat?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    In Le Morte De Arthure, on Merlin's speed:

Then rode Merlin unto Arthur and the two kings, and told them how he had sped, whereof they had great marvel, that man on Earth might speed so soon, and go and come.

In Vita Merlini he casually rips the antler's off a stag's head.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2023-03-06 at 10:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Are there stories that give Merlin the kind of tactical precognition that would be useful in battle? Knowing what will happen next year, or a thousand years in the future, isn't the same as knowing what your opponent's next move will be.
    The most common answer to this one doesn't actually help that much - he lives/lived his life backwards so what is future to those he interacts with is past to him.
    From one viewpoint this means he should know exactly how a battle needs to be fought to be won, but the counter-argument is that this is true only if he remembers it being won - it won't help if he knows it will be/was lost...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Doing a little more research, there are some versions of Arthurian Merlin that are insane. Like, some say that he is completely omniscient, commands legions of demons / dragons / fey, and that he was given his powers by the devil as a means of finally overthrowing God (because as a mortal he is outside the divine plan or something). So I would say that yes, some versions absolutely stomp Strange.
    Yeah there are some versions of Merlin which have demi god feats (though demi fey / demi devil-demon is more accurate) for he is supposed to be counterpart to Christ in those narrative stories, but then it got more complicated.

For example a common part of the Merlin story is since Christ was born of a virgin, thus there is similar stories with Merlin (lots of details are different) but it was going to be EVIL not good … and it worked

And it was going to be a very bad timeline if the mother did not baptise her kid ( a fortunate / lucky twist ) and in the process gave freedom to Merlin to choose his own destiny. Yet the Fey like trickster nature remains and Merlin may do good but he is not a good guy / role-model.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Just wanted to chime in and put in my prediction for this fight. I think it's 50/50 and could go either way. Merlin just doesn't have Strange's benefits so I think maybe a slight edge goes to him. Despite me liking Merlin more.
    Merlin doesn't have magic shields, for one.