New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Is a heat pump just a bidirectional AC?

So, I'm reading explainers on the new hotness (pun intended) which is heat pumps.

And... it just sounds like an AC system? You compress a substance so it gets hot, let it radiate until it reaches equilibrium with the environment that you want to make warm, and then expand the substance and let it absorb heat from the other environment which you want to make cool. Isn't that how an AC works too?

Is the only difference that heat pumps can work in either direction? They can basically "AC the outdoors" to make the house hotter in winter?

If so, how do they manage the reversal trick? They can't be mechanically compressing because sometimes you want the house side to be the compressed side, and sometimes you want the house side to be the expanded side.

The explainers I've seen are all so busy explaining the basic compression / expansion cycle that they don't explain what makes heat pumps different than AC units.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Is a heat pump just a bidirectional AC?

They have a reversing valve so that the heat exchangers that act as the condenser and evaporator switch roles.

With newer heat pumps, especially air source heat pumps, there's some engineering magic to make them more efficient at lower outside temperatures.

Some are ground source, though. They use water to exchange heat with the ground below the frost line, so they don't ever have to deal with temperatures below freezing.

Also, a central heat pump installation will usually include resistive heating elements as emergency heat. These kick in if the outside temperature is too low or if something in the heat pump system fails.

Those are the main differences I can think of immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

This guy is good at explaining things.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Grumpy mechanical engineer voice Technically, it's the other way around. An 'Air Conditioning' unit is really a special type of heat pump. 'Heat pump' is the older and more generic term.

It should be noted that heat pumps designed for the domestic heating market may or may not be reversible, and you'll definitely pay more for a reversible unit.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig