New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOC: Speedy's Interstellar Postal Service [Stars Without Number]

I will post the IC tomorrow :)
    Games I am Running
    - Crown of the KOBOLD KING - IC | OOC | Doc

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Games I am Running

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

For reference, the party is currently on the world of Olaf Oshima in the Pelican Butte System (Hex 0409) and your destination is Dämonenkäfig, which orbits the planet of Wiener Carneval in the Lookout Mountain System (Hex 0308).
    Last edited by GreenDragonPage; 2023-03-15 at 08:43 PM.
    Games I am Running

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

updated my text speech color.

Thanks for giving us links to the places it was a bit hard determining where we are.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Shade View Post
    updated my text speech color.

Thanks for giving us links to the places it was a bit hard determining where we are.
    I realized once I started listing things that it was probably too opaque for y'all, so that post was definitely needed
    Games I am Running

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, if I'm reading the rules right, the spike drill will have a difficulty of 3 for Todd.

base difficulty (7) - Int (-2) - Recent rutter (-2). This means he can trim the course to bring it to 5 (still under mishap roll) and cut the transit time from 6 days to 3.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrfalcon View Post
    Actually, if I'm reading the rules right, the spike drill will have a difficulty of 3 for Todd.

base difficulty (7) - Int (-2) - Recent rutter (-2). This means he can trim the course to bring it to 5 (still under mishap roll) and cut the transit time from 6 days to 3.
    See, that’s what I call efficiency. Hopefully our quickness will get us somebody’s good side and get some extra cash flowing.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

We haven't even gone on a mission yet and you all are already finding travel shortcuts! Love it!
    Games I am Running

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think doing the heavy cargo stuff is viable for us, even if we had the proper loading/unloading gear already. At a 10 credits/ton/hex rate. Like assuming a very generously about 3 days for five guys with proper equipment to load up the ship with 100 tons of cargo, 5 days to unload and deliver those same loads planet-side, and the 3 days in transit, with a 5 credit/person/day food and water expense for those same days, we're earning 66-ish credits/day, or around 13ish credits each per day, and that's eating up a third of our 1 month time table to earn enough to make our loan payment (and save for the semi-annual ship maintenence cost).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

You're definitely right about that. Hmmm...I wonder what other opportunities to make money might come up while we wait for the high paying deliveries to present themselves. Maybe a spot of mercenary work? I think that John is probably the only guy with MES here who has been open with that fact, though please correct me if I'm wrong. So that takes those revenue avenues off the table for now, and telekinesis isn't really the most marketable power. Though, if we ever become truly desperate, you might be able to convince John to cheat at a high-stakes dice game or two. Hmm...options, options. We'll just have to wait and see what presents itself when we get to our current destination, though.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

We also have a spare "person" space on the ship, since our sixth player never joined. We could offer steerage passanger travel to someone looking for a ride to CW themselves for some extra credits.

12. - Top - End - #42

Lizardfolk

Stanley might be able to hear about deals through his contacts for example: Planet A is selling cheap and Planet B is paying premium He picked up some trading from having to follow his Dad around on business trips.
    Also I think they will load the deliveries pretty fast if their ready to go.
    Everyone ready to go? Before we go Stanley will get a weapon before leaving the planet: a Revolver. If someone wants to tag along they can.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

@GreenDragonPage Does Speedy's provide loading crew and equipment? Or is that left for the ship crew taking a job to figure out themselve?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CardTrick View Post
    @GreenDragonPage Does Speedy's provide loading crew and equipment? Or is that left for the ship crew taking a job to figure out themselve?
    For bulk industrial goods deliveries to well populated worlds, all you need to do is get the goods to the right port. Dock workers will unload it (fees paid for by the customer ahead of time). This is not true for less populous worlds but Speedy's would make you aware of this beforehand.
    Games I am Running

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Cool.

Thanks for clarifying that. :D

16. - Top - End - #46

Bulk deliveries won’t pay the bills, but especially starting off with a freighter, we can better take them then not when they’re heading in the same direction as a higher paying contract. I’m sure as PCs we’ll get into well-paid trouble more often than not.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

PCs getting into trouble? What kind of slanderous balderdash is this?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Slander?! I resent that! In print, it's libel!

19. - Top - End - #49

So, we have our last passenger that will no doubt lead to no difficulties with Dominon patrols, we have a number of local contracts, and we've met our first rival...

who Todd immediately will end up aggravating.

That said, if the idjit wants to start shooting at us in space, we're likely at least as well armed and better armored by default. Shuttles simply can't become *that* dangerous because of size limits, and our Sandthrower will chew him up.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

@Janwin Was Tadashi doing anything before the crew takes off?

21. - Top - End - #51

Lizardfolk

@GreenDragonPage:The three boxes of ammo are 20 rounds each right? so I should have about 60 rounds.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sounds right
    Games I am Running

23. - Top - End - #53

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CardTrick View Post
    @Janwin Was Tadashi doing anything before the crew takes off?
    Nah, he's got nothing to do. Just headed to the ship to wait.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

I second Sleepy Shade’s call for skipping any range scene.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

I vote for Shipy McShipFace

I kid! I kid!
    Last edited by GreenDragonPage; 2023-03-25 at 10:44 PM.
    Games I am Running

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Elliot already told everyone about Publius' deal when he got back to the ship, prior to lift off.

",,, inform the rest of the crew of Publius' offer and the terms thereof."

Elliot didn't withold any information - guy seemed paranoid delusional about the Dominion (doesn't mean they aren't after him) but didn't bat an eye about the prospect of prison security inspecting his cargo and that the crew would leave him hanging if they found anything, was kind of comically bad at the cloak and dagger stuff, he'd offered extra creds to keep the name Publius off the manifest even though he'd offered up that name to a complete stranger unprompted, he was somehow worse than Elliot at haggling, and was a terrible judge of character, given he seemed to think Elliot was the type to pocket extra creds for himself, but also gave Elliot almost as many credits as he'd said the crew would likely accept for the whole fare (900 of the requested 1000) at the eatery, rather than upon boarding, with no concern about Elliot and the crew just not letting him onboard and pretending they didn't know what he was talking about when he showed up.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your ship is currently in orbit of Olaf Oshima. In order to drill to the Lookout Mountain System, you will need to be on the rim of the system. Traveling from any region within a system to another region takes a successful pilot check & 48 hours of travel. The 48 hours of travel time is divided by the spike drive rating of your ship. Your ship currently has a Spike Drive 1, which means 48/1=48. You can trim the time by making a successful Piloting check at difficulty 9, which improves your spike drive rating by 1. With a Drive of "2", your travel time is reduced to 24 hours.

Once in the Lookout Mountain system, this process will be repeated but in reverse. You arrive in the rim and need 48 hours to travel to the space station. This can be trimmed to 24 hours with a successful check.
    Games I am Running

28. - Top - End - #58

With a Pilot-0 skill, I'll avoid rolling to try to trim the insystem travel - I'd only have a 27% chance of succeeding, which means basically 3 out of 4 times I'd double our insystem travel times.

However, according to Pg.111, there are no pilot check needed to travel normally, barring unusual perils.

Traveling inside a solar system is much safer and more rapid than interstellar travel. Barring unusual perils or mechanical failure, such journeys can be made without Pilot skill checks or risk of dramatic mishaps.
    Is this a house rule that we need to roll for insystem travel?

As stated above, for the spike drill, I can safely drill one to our destination with a trimmed course without issues, so no roll needed there.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oops, my bad. You are correct about that :)
    Games I am Running

30. - Top - End - #60

It looks like we’re looking at a week’s travel time to the prison. Mostly before we get there, I think the ship needs a name. (Barring an encounter on the way)