New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1277 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There is plenty of indication. Serini had to be surveilling the canyon or she wouldn't have known about the paladins or Order entering.

And seeing as how you missed entirely that she had to have been surveilling all activity in the canyon in order to know about the paladins and the Order
    The Order had been loudly and regularly announcing their approach for some time, possibly also the paladins', so Serini was well aware of them. However, that only means she'd be keeping an eye out for new arrivals, not keeping an eye on Team Evil which is already on site (it would, in fact, draw time and energy away from doing so).

Granted, her knowledge about the other gates does imply that she has access to some kind of scrying effect, but there is no indication that she's got that kind of info over the canyon. There is, after all, a reason why they're currently relying on Blackwing for intel on Team Evil.

Also, you are explicitly wrong that this proves it would have nade Xykon finding the Gate inevitable, as, again, MitD's interference already hampered that. They wouldn't have found it either way.

If you are convinced it prived that this would made made Xykon finding the Gate inevitable, please, feel free to specify how
    Answer me this please, what do you think would have happened when the last door had been marked? Do you think Redcloak and Xykon would have shrugged their shoulders and given up? We now know that the only things needed to find the Gate (or at least the final dungeon) is brute force and persistence, qualities that Team Evil has in spades. Even if Redcloak never caught the discrepancy between the marked doors and the time they'd spent there (which I think is already unlikely, hell, he's already considered the possibility of MITD messing up the markings), he's still got an analytical mindset, he'd keep trying new things with the dungeons. Sooner or later he'd have delved into every single one of them, the guy is immortal, it's a statistical inevitability.

And seeing as how you missed entirely that she had to have been surveilling all activity in the canyon in order to know about the paladins and the Order (and where they were, and had formulated a plan to remove them from the board), i have my doubts as to your analysis regarding this page.
    And if you could make your next reply without any snide insults, I'd appreciate that too.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigako View Post
    Turns out my grasp on English is shakier than I thought.
    Could someone explain the system to me, please, using the terms diffrent from that in the comic?
    The location of the Gate will not be revealed until someone has searched behind every door. In order to reach the goal you must pass through every door. It doesn't matter what order you open the doors, but you must open all of them.

It is not clear whether or not you have to do anything once you open a door, but I am assuming you have to explore the area behind the door.

Does it count if Team Evil opens a door and explores behind it, but doesn't notice the cross-over trick? It seems that it does.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    Not exactly, but finding a loophole in someone's complex plan is always good for story.

There was something similar in one of books from Xanth series, "Ogre! Ogre!", by Piers Anthony.

The protagonist had to find the leader of nightmare horses in an infinite ravine. The stallion would be in the last place searched.
    But how to find last place in endless ravine?
    He took a ball of threads, also literally infinite, and divided the ravine in two halves, ASSUMING he searched one of them. Then he divided the remaining half in two more halves and so on. In a finite and actually very small piece of this place, he cornered his enemy.
    He didn't actually search through endless place, he cheated the system, by marking parts of it as searched.

So, remembering this story, I thought that just marking doors as finished is the same as actually visiting dungeons. Someone in this thread already said, that it might not be necessary to kill everyone inside. Maybe even going inside isn't a must and just stating that you visited dungeon behind the door is enough?

We shall see.
    Half of infinity is just as infinite as the previous inifity. That "loophole" makes no sense. Are you sure the ravine wasn't just very big?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Half of infinity is just as infinite as the previous inifity. That "loophole" makes no sense. Are you sure the ravine wasn't just very big?

Maybe. I read it so long ago, about 20 years ago if not more. If not infinite, then too large to be explored by usual means.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe. I read it so long ago, about 20 years ago if not more. If not infinite, then too large to be explored by usual means.
    Alternatively, the author might not have been a mathematician. Those are two skillsets with little overlap. And infinities are anything but intuitive, as Hilbert proved.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #216

I don't know anything about the story, but if the loophole of "claiming I searched this half because it's marked" works to start with, then you could reduce an infinite chasm to a finite one pretty easily. Go in the other direction for a bit, mark it, claim you searched the other side, and the "unsearched" portion would now be the finite middle chunk you're standing in. Which, obviously, you happened to not search while walking through.

Though the whole thing is a rather big logical stretch

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    How satisfying would you find your D&D campaign if your DM summoned in a hundred NPCs at the end to beat on the final boss and made your entire adventure pointless?
    It depends on why the NPCs are there. If they are the result of carefully cultivating allies and friendships through RP, then it’d be pretty badass. Sort of like the end of season 1 of The Mandalorian.

If the D&D game is a mindless dungeon crawl where the players are just XP consumption machines, I can see why they would be upset.

Naturally I’m not implying those are the only two options.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Duncun View Post
    I theorize that they have not done all the dungeons. I think the refresh is fast enough that they would be able to do a subset over and over. They would do that instead of having to go to the furthest one away from their camp, because there would be no need. They are only doing it for the food. Why go out of the way?
    I mean, why the should not open all of them and just check what's there? they are not depleting the monsters, but assuming Oona or the Shaman or other historically active member of the tribe did not checked all of them, it is an assumption that bugbears are just super lazy or no curious at all..

• bugbears should have checked all doors in so many years,
    • ... hence, checking all door is not enough
    • killing all monster is? (...then the team evil is not going to win with the Quinton blocking them)
    • or is to reach the end of each dungeon? (...and ok, maybe the bugbears did check all the doors but avoided the most problematic)
    • or there is a refresh period?

I guess this would be clarify in the next strip (edit: except if we don't have a super cutaway panel that start to bring us somewhere else), at this point, because the puzzle is solved anyway
    Last edited by Rinazina; 2023-03-10 at 11:13 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe even going inside isn't a must and just stating that you visited dungeon behind the door is enough?
    Stating to whom or what?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    It depends on why the NPCs are there. If they are the result of carefully cultivating allies and friendships through RP, then it’d be pretty badass. Sort of like the end of season 1 of The Mandalorian.

If the D&D game is a mindless dungeon crawl where the players are just XP consumption machines, I can see why they would be upset.

Naturally I’m not implying those are the only two options.
    In the context of the post I'm replying to, we're talking about NPCs the Order have never met, who are just been summoned because they're high level characters and the world is in danger and such.

The Giant has already done a 'The Cavalry comes' moment when Durkon's family joined the fight against the vampires anyway. It was badass, it was narratively satisfying, it made sense because they were all mentionned in the past and were all in a nearby physical location. Here we're talking about random dudes with no characterization who will just appear from nowhere and gang up on Xykon like the adventurers who killed Yokyok. This ain't 8-bit theater, there's narrative catharsis in this story.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    I mean, why the should not open all of them and just check what's there? they are not depleting the monsters, but assuming Oona or the Shaman or other historically active member of the tribe did not checked all of them, it is an assumption that bugbears are just super lazy or no curious at all..

• bugbears should have checked all doors in so many years,
    • ... hence, checking all door is not enough
    • killing all monster is? (...then the team evil is not going to win with the Quinton blocking them)
    • or is to reach the end of each dungeon? (...and ok, maybe the bugbears did check all the doors but avoided the most problematic)
    • or there is a refresh period?

I guess this would be clarify in the next strip (edit: except if we don't have a super cutaway panel that start to bring us somewhere else), at this point, because the puzzle is solved anyway
    Maybe it has to be the same person and no individual bugbear ever searched every door even if the tribe collectively did.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Spamalot in the Playground

How satisfying would you find your D&D campaign if your DM summoned in a hundred NPCs at the end to beat on the final boss and made your entire adventure pointless?
    I just want to note that it's not entirely impossible to have 100 NPCs show up and help the party save the day be a satisfying resolution. It all depends on context and setup.

Exhibit A
    Exhibit B

With that said, I don't think that will be the case here, or at the very least that won't be the way Team Evil gets defeated; their rivalry with the Order is too personal and long-running for that. But there are other antagonists (the IFCC, the gods*, the Snarl itself) where the safety of the entire Stickworld is at stake, and therefore the involvement of the entire Stickworld can be part of the resolution without necessarily detracting from the core heroes' story.

*as a general group, not individuals
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

In the context of the post I'm replying to, we're talking about NPCs the Order have never met, who are just been summoned because they're high level characters and the world is in danger and such.
    I think the bigger concern is the almost certainty that they'll eliminate Redcloak, ruining Thor's plan to save the world. The Order doesn't have any control over them, very few if any will have any idea Thor has placed any importance on Redcloak at all, Durkon doesn't even have a plan to share at this point, Redcloak is a high level spellcaster capable of killing some of them if given the chance....The key to saving the world may well be crushed beneath metaphorical hooves if cavalry comes to solve the short-term threat.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

It was mental/spiritual plane of existence thing. It was supposed to use weird dream logic because it was a dream realm.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I understand the concept, I have to wonder about the execution. How does the Dungeon determine that you finished one of the entrances? Can you just step in and step out? Or do you have to defeat everything in it? Team Evil is just stepping in, using Force Cage or whatever on all the enemies. Does that count as "Dungeon" complete or do they have to step over some invisible line or look at something in particular for it to count as completed?
    Profile picture made by my good friend Judas.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Colossus in the Playground

Vaarsuvius was about to go over some ideas. But no one else in the comic cared.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    Well, I understand the concept, I have to wonder about the execution. How does the Dungeon determine that you finished one of the entrances? Can you just step in and step out? Or do you have to defeat everything in it? Team Evil is just stepping in, using Force Cage or whatever on all the enemies. Does that count as "Dungeon" complete or do they have to step over some invisible line or look at something in particular for it to count as completed?
    I was assuming some kind of switch in the very back.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

18. - Top - End - #228
    Colossus in the Playground

I think "I assume Serini's very serious effort to protect the Gate follows the same rules as a dreamworld which is itself inside a world based on puns" will not lead you anywhere fruitful.

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    And then try to grab the Gate (it's a big magical crystal; it's sure worth a lot!) and walk off with it, probably.
    A scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald?

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Tarquin and his gang? They'll obviously come back in some way or another after that cliffhanger, but I doubt anyone in the party would think of calling them.
    I seem to recall that, per the Giant, part of the point of that ending was -- precisely -- that Tarquin got an ignominious ending. Rather than getting an ending that Tarquin would consider appropriate for a major character.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    A gauntlet is also a term for a punishment where the offender would run between lines of people armed with sticks that beat him for his offenses.
    The gantlet can also be a kind of ritual test of courage and stamina, used to prove worthiness to join a group. One who walks through it, slowly and steadily, enduring the pain, gets to join the tribe. One who tries to rush, or flinches or tries to evade the blows, fails (and gets treated even more harshly than someone who reacts stoically).

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Alternatively, the author might not have been a mathematician. Those are two skillsets with little overlap. And infinities are anything but intuitive, as Hilbert proved.
    Well, Piers Anthony knew enough game theory to nick the "Prisoners' Dilemma" and write it into one of those books, as a thing invented by one of the characters, while not giving any credit for it in his Foreword or Afterword. I think that that was kind of the final straw for me when it came to reading those books, not that there weren't lots of other problems that irritated me.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I was assuming some kind of switch in the very back.
    I feel like that would make the puzzle more obvious. Each one is meant to look like a decoy.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

well, I meant a well-hidden secret one.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I think the idea is to mark as searched the infinite area behind you, take three steps, mark as searched the infinite area before you, then turn back and search the three steps you've taken.
    Wich is still stupid. Declaring an area as searched makes no sense.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I just want to note that it's not entirely impossible to have 100 NPCs show up and help the party save the day be a satisfying resolution. It all depends on context and setup.

Exhibit A
    Exhibit B
    Already addressed in my previous post.

The Giant has already done a 'The Cavalry comes' moment when Durkon's family joined the fight against the vampires anyway. It was badass, it was narratively satisfying, it made sense because they were all mentionned in the past and were all in a nearby physical location. Here we're talking about random dudes with no characterization who will just appear from nowhere and gang up on Xykon like the adventurers who killed Yokyok. This ain't 8-bit theater, there's narrative catharsis in this story.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Although, if the only reason the gate is accessible is to ensure that Serini has access to it, I wonder why she didn't include at least one of the required doors "backstage", so nobody can access the gate without solving that part as well.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2023-03-10 at 01:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In all this discussion about how Serini is able to force Team Evil to grind every dungeon to get to the gate, no one has asked the most significant question.

What the heck is a "shoe doubler" and how is that insulting?

In all seriousness, most of her insults I kind of understand and can appreciate the smack but shoe doubler?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Propably got something to do with how halflings don't wear shoes in this setting. And doubler, well, halflings are half as tall as humans, so a human is double the size of a halfling. So it's something like "shoe-wearing giant oaf'.

27. - Top - End - #237

Google doesn't know what "tweeby" means.

...neither do I...
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

28. - Top - End - #238
    Spamalot in the Playground

Already addressed in my previous post.
    I know that, but my point is we have options to do this besides "random dudes with no characterization" too. Of course the least satisfying way of executing this wouldn't be satisfying, that just means you shouldn't do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Although, if the only reason the gate is accessible is to ensure that Serini has access to it, I wonder why she didn't include at least one of the required doors "backstage", so nobody can access the gate without solving that part as well.
    We don't know that "Backstage" isn't connected to the Final Dungeon. (Indeed, the fact that the swap-overs work both ways is foreshadowing that it might be.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-03-10 at 03:08 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #239

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Google doesn't know what "tweeby" means.

...neither do I...
    It's an extremely derogatory word for halfling foot fungus. Because, you know, halflings don't normally get it, being barefoot.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    We know. The heroes know and now V's tenants (the Demons Three) know.
    Wrong word there. A tenant lives in a place owned by a landlord. The fiends do not live in V's place, V (for a short period) exists in theirs. I will suggest that "V's landlords, the Demons Three" fits better there.
    Not exactly, but finding a loophole in someone's complex plan is always good for story.

There was something similar in one of books from Xanth series, "Ogre! Ogre!", by Piers Anthony.
    You lost me at Piers Anthony. After The Color of Magic, I knew better than to go for a second helping.
    Later correction: The Source of Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Vaarsuvius was about to go over some ideas. But no one else in the comic cared.
    Thank you, and well said.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-03-12 at 05:25 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society