Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748
Results 1,411 to 1,421 of 1421
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Providence, RI
    John hears a small sigh in his mind from Emi. I apologize, John. You weren’t supposed to feel that. It’s not just about your spell. I won’t lie and say that I’m not a little apprehensive about it, but, as I told my father only half an hour ago, I believe in you. I know that you’ve done everything you could and taken every precaution necessary.

I… She falters for a moment psychically, though she is engaged at the table while Jefferey tells his story. I worry that I’ll mess up somehow with her. My mother and I were very close, but it’s been ten years. I’m not a child anymore. What is our new relationship going to look like? How hard is it going to be for her reconcile that the little girl that she remembers has changed so drastically?
    If it helps, John projected comfortingly, she will remember your visits as you grew up in the same way you do. I won’t be able to give the two of you back that time, but she won’t have to navigate the child having walked out of the room and the wonderful woman walking in with no bridge between.

For whatever it’s worth, I’m having to negotiate that same bridge with my parents now. Mom still wants to keep me safe despite my new job. Dad’s handling the jump a little easier than she seems to be — although her focus on you and your father is distracting her somewhat.

But whatever may be going on at this table tonight, I can’t help but think she will adore the woman you have become and be proud of you. I may be biased but we do have some externally validating data, given my mother’s response to you.

Spoiler: The Supportive Boyfriend
    Show
    John attempts to Comfort and Support Emi!

Comfort and Support: 2d6+4 9

Mr. Shaw smiles slightly without meeting Kate’s gaze as Jefferey speaks. I’d wondered who would be the first to attempt to speak with me tonight, he replies in her mind. His voice is gentle and quiet to avoid startling her.

I know that Emi would also be happy to have you as a sister. Please, continue to advance that agenda, if you wish. I’ll be happy to take on such a role, should your brother and my daughter’s relationship advance in such a way.

If you’re looking for pointers on keeping secrets from a pair of telepaths, your mother is actually quite adept at it.
    Kate’s eyes widened slightly in excitement at hearing Mr. Shaw’s voice in her head and she looked down at her plate quickly — but not so quickly as to be precipitous (Although, given the people at the table, she conceded that at least one of them would likely have noticed). The telekinesis she had seen Emi and her father exhibit had been exciting but there was a little extra thrill to be in telepathic contact.

She found herself internally huffing at the thought that her mother having developed a method of keeping her mind somewhat shielded — although she couldn’t be certain if it was her mother always being one step ahead or her own frustration at not having taken up meditation as well.

She’s even worse than John at that kind of thing, she admitted. At least I can get him from time to time. She’s impossible.

There was a brief pause as her mind caught up with her emotions and she processed everything Mr. Shaw had said.

Thank you, Mr. Shaw, she projected with a hint of vulnerability. It means a lot to me — to all of us, to be accepted by the two of you and for the two of you to accept John as you have. He cares so deeply for Emi and she has been nothing but wonderful to us.

There was another pause. I’m looking forward to the years to come.

“He’s especially cute with a picnic basket,” Emi jokes with a sly grin to John.
    “Very memeable,” Stephen added. “I especially like the ones that managed to put a Yogi Bear hat on his head.”

“I wouldn’t mind if that was arranged,” Emi says, mirroring Jefferey’s smile.
    “We’ll talk,” Jefferey mouthed over-dramatically, holding a pretend phone up to his ear.

Thank you, Mr. Shaw says quietly.

He pauses, then continues, Am I permitted? Of course. There is no one to stop me. Is it ethical? I would argue that it isn’t. Everyone’s thoughts are hidden. Secret. There are very few that are comfortable with the notion of having all, or any, of their surface thoughts bared for someone to hear. Those genuine reactions are what people seek to keep hidden most of all.

But I will leave the choice to you.
    John mentally sighed.

I was afraid it would be something like that, he conceded. I can always ask her later and do what I can to reassure her that whatever it is she is worried about will be okay. It will probably be better to handle it traditionally anyway. Engaging her in a manner that is more mundane will probably help.

There was a part of him that sensed that Mr. Shaw’s candor was an important step forward — one that tempted him to broach the topic of a question he felt was coming over Christmas. Deep in his mind, he sensed that a speech was being prepared — the one where he would ask for his blessing rather than his permission.

But this was not the place or the time — even if that candor made him feel the answer would be more authentic than after he had brought his wife back to him. He would owe him something then.

And he wished to be accepted for who he was — not what he had done.

Is there anything I should know before we head to London — either by jet or via the Spire? I hope what happens there will be enough to win your full confidence in me but I suppose I should try and be prepared for any idiosyncrasies of your household.

Knowing less about what led to your wife’s condition will likely be better than knowing more — so I would prefer to steer clear of such knowledge for now.

Spoiler: The subtext.
    Show
    OOC: The implied question is What Can I Do to Gain Influence Over You?

2. - Top - End - #1412

NinjaGuy

December 5th
    No Store Left Unturned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker
    Ryker snickers at Louis’ words and gives Raphael a shrug. “I guess. I was just enjoyin’ the moment.” He looks back over to Louis. “You know we would’ve kicked his ass if he started somethin’.”

Drake gives Ryker a look that earns a wide grin from the former villain.
    "'Course we would've won," Louis starts confidently. "I just don't know how I could've explained things to Seraph without it sounding like it was our fault..." He continues, his voice trailing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and Drake
    "Wouldn't mind running into the book shop real quick after. Even though it's a long shot, probably better to have something for Maeve than not." He shrugged. "That, or I find something that inspires me here."

“I was planning on stopping by the bookstore,” the South Side Team Lead continues. “I wanted to get a new book while we were here.”
    "Sounds like we're stopping by the bookstore then. We'll head there after Salmon Ace. Shouldn't take long since I already know what I need."

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Raph
    "It amazes me people'll go fishing 'round here, what with the river king's monsters in every other puddle." Raphael observes. Briefly, very briefly, the vampire is taken by the line of thought about how mortals manage day to day without regeneration, super strength, 'dumb' senses, and so on.
    "I reckon it's 'cause we're Cajun," The Louisiana native loosens the visegrip he has on his accent. "It'll take a lot more than a few oversized gumbo ingredients to keep us out of the water," Louis smirks. "And magic's probably the only thing keeping that old @#$ catfish out of the deep end of a fryer."

Quote Originally Posted by Raph
    The crest of burgeoning sympathy and humanity is quickly chased away by him zeroing in on a bevy of unseasonably clad coeds in front of the massive fish tank in Salmon Ace.

"How'd you lose your stuff last time?" Raphael redirects with genuine curiosity.
    "Crawfish about the size of a sedan if you can believe it. Caught us by surprise just before wrapping up a day of fishing on the riverbank. Pulled my dad into the water by his line. Lost his favorite hat, rod, and reel all at once but it could've been worse I guess. We didn't lose anything that couldn't be replaced."

"Speaking of which, I need to find an old man around here so he can try to sell me on a few things we don't need and tell me a story about a fish he probably never caught. I'll be back in a few." Louis says before delving into the depths of the store.

. . .

The West Side team lead surfaces from the school of shoppers and outdoor enthusiasts about fifteen minutes later with bag and a black mesh trucker hat bearing the Salmon Ace logo.

"Bookstore?" He asks the group.

3. - Top - End - #1413

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    Mall Walking:
    Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/whatnot
    Show

Question: Did I clear anything by going after Grayson like that?
    Raphael is still Angry, Hopeless, and Troubled

Action: Raphael unleashes his powers, for practice you see, to try and use his super scent and special eyes to get a better read on The Boys and see how everyone's really feeling about the excursion... and also trying to get used to picking out small, specific pieces of information in large, sensory-overloading crowds.
    Unleash! 7 - The GM will tell me how the effect is Unstable, Temporary, or has unintended ramifications.
    December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Drake glances at Raphael. “I never watched cartoons growing up, so I’m not super familiar with them. The stuff that she watches is on another level though. It’s weird. Not saying they’re bad, but I find it hard to get into them. You’re right though— I should at least pay a little attention. I did like the movie she showed us a few weeks ago.”

“As for books,” he continues, “My mom found out that I was reading for fun rather than for school and she gave me some suggestions. I think I’m going to try to find The Butterfly Garden today.”

Spoiler: Raphael’s Unleash
    Show
    As Raphael opens his senses, he does manage to pick out each of the boys through the assault on his sensitive senses through the crowd.

Drake is easiest, of course, with his odd, sharp, metallic scent and higher than normal body heat.

As the vampire begins to analyze the South Side Team Lead, his attention is suddenly pulled to one of the girls in front of the giant fish tank. His eyes zero in on a ruby-colored cut on the palm of her hand where fresh blood slowly oozes out. Her friends start to look around for an employee to help her, wafting the scent further into the air.

The Predator rattles its chain, demanding to be released.

His teeth itch.
    At Drake's responses, and Raph's, Keith nods along and puts his hands behind his head. Drake's mom recommending books reminded him of his uncle giving him suggestions after his mom passed. Before, she would pick out a lot to read.

"Makes sense. Honestly didn't start much until before Don decided to gather up a massive library. Lemme know whatcha think of it. Need something that ain't just literary studies as well." He chuckles and then goes silent. He was lost in thought.

Spoiler: For Raph's Senses
    Show

Emptiness, a sense of feeling hollow. There's a tinge of regret, mixed with self-loathing.

He doesn't feel like he belongs here. Anywhere. And right now he's trying to look like he's enjoying the outing.

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    December 5th
    No Store Left Unturned

"'Course we would've won," Louis starts confidently. "I just don't know how I could've explained things to Seraph without it sounding like it was our fault..." He continues, his voice trailing off.

"I reckon it's 'cause we're Cajun," The Louisiana native loosens the visegrip he has on his accent. "It'll take a lot more than a few oversized gumbo ingredients to keep us out of the water," Louis smirks. "And magic's probably the only thing keeping that old @#$ catfish out of the deep end of a fryer."

"Crawfish about the size of a sedan if you can believe it. Caught us by surprise just before wrapping up a day of fishing on the riverbank. Pulled my dad into the water by his line. Lost his favorite hat, rod, and reel all at once but it could've been worse I guess. We didn't lose anything that couldn't be replaced."

"Speaking of which, I need to find an old man around here so he can try to sell me on a few things we don't need and tell me a story about a fish he probably never caught. I'll be back in a few." Louis says before delving into the depths of the store.
    Keith listens and reacts as he would expect someone to at the fish story. "Considerin' this place, I'd believe it. Good thing y'all made it out aight." He thought a moment. They never really fished, but more so hunted. At least, when they needed to.

As Louis runs into the store, Keith shrugs and follows as well, though making his way back to the hunting section. He had remembered his uncle complaining about his rifle strap so maybe this would be a good chance to replace it. That, and it wasn't like he needed a new scope just to hunt.

The West Side team lead surfaces from the school of shoppers and outdoor enthusiasts about fifteen minutes later with bag and a black mesh trucker hat bearing the Salmon Ace logo.

"Bookstore?" He asks the group.
    Keith emerges a moment after Louis and nods. "Glad you gave me an idea just then though. Works fine for me." He holds up the bag. "Your story actually reminded me of something my uncle complained about the other day on his last hunting trip. Thanks bud."

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Doki Doki:

It was harder than he'd admit... singling out a handful of scents and threads against the press. It was harder than when he hunted... when he wanted something.

Like a cascade of ash, the tenuous grip on his allies he had with his nose dissolved. The world turned a little pink. The coeds from before were in sharper focus, looming over everything. Raphael swallowed hard, his throat suddenly dry.

The laceration was a waterfall in his mind.

Hunting at the mall is Forbidden.

So What? Rules are meant to be broken. My very existence is--

Hunting at the mall is a bad idea.

Does Yuki know what I am?

The Predator freezes, no longer straining against the rusty cage and grimy chains of The Face's resolve. It stares at the memory, fascinated, occupied... vorac---

"You know what guys. Breakfast is just not sticking with me today. I'm gonna swing back through the food court real fast and then I'll meet up with you at the book store, cool?"

He makes a disgusted face and squints at Louis and Drake. "I ~~promise~~ not to cause any trouble."

He makes a sound to match the face. "Not even to the deserving."

Raphael rotates smoothly on his heel and moves quickly towards the exit of Salmon Ace.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Drake and Ryker watch Raphael hurry off. The former Rook shrugs and mills around with Drake at the weapons counter in Salmon Ace until Louis and Keith are ready to leave.

Once in the bookstore, Drake heads toward the fiction section. Ryker hangs around with Louis for a bit, people watching. He does a double take as he looks over a low shelf at some girls who’re well out of earshot. “Fuuuuuuuuu— Everybody’s ****in’ out today, huh?” he mutters.

If Louis follows his gaze, he spots Iris looking through a table of books with another woman that looks to be about the same age as her.

Spoiler: Louis— Notice TN 6
    Show
    Iris’ makeup is heavy today, much heavier than the last time Louis saw her, especially under her eyes. However, she can’t hide the slight shadow from her bruises, or the broken blood vessels in the bottom of both sclera.

Ryker drops his eyes and lets out an angry huff.

Providence, RI
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    But whatever may be going on at this table tonight, I can’t help but think she will adore the woman you have become and be proud of you. I may be biased but we do have some externally validating data, given my mother’s response to you.
    I think both of you are biased, Emi replies with a smile in John’s mind. But you’re right, of course. It’s a bit silly of me to be worrying about something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    Thank you, Mr. Shaw, she projected with a hint of vulnerability. It means a lot to me — to all of us, to be accepted by the two of you and for the two of you to accept John as you have. He cares so deeply for Emi and she has been nothing but wonderful to us.

There was another pause. I’m looking forward to the years to come.
    Kate feels a mild feeling of warmth flood her mind before Mr. Shaw withdraws.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Is there anything I should know before we head to London — either by jet or via the Spire? I hope what happens there will be enough to win your full confidence in me but I suppose I should try and be prepared for any idiosyncrasies of your household.
    Mr. Shaw takes a moment to respond as conversation continues around the table. We have several maids in the house and my personal assistant Oskar. All have been vetted and willingly allowed me to sweep their mind. They are aware that some of the guests I invite are more secretive in their identities than others and know that any information they may learn in the house is not to be told outside of it.

Spoiler: John’s Final Question
    Show
    OOC: Short of handling the entire demonic incursion himself, John cannot gain Influence over Mr. Shaw at this time.

As the meal continues, Mr. Shaw abruptly sets his knife and fork down before pulling out his phone from his inner jacket pocket. He glances at the Caller ID and then looks around the table. “My apologies, but I need to take this. I’ll return shortly.”

He stands and heads toward the front door in a direct line, phasing through the stairs.

It’s Mr. Maodus. A Myriad executive, Emi explains to John.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-04-23 at 03:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1416

OldWizardGuy

Providence, RI
    I think both of you are biased, Emi replies with a smile in John’s mind. But you’re right, of course. It’s a bit silly of me to be worrying about something like that.
    I suspect it’s normal for even so wonderful as you to have concerns about getting to meet her again soon, John conceded. But I believe in you and her feelings for you — biased though my family and I might be towards you.

Mr. Shaw takes a moment to respond as conversation continues around the table. We have several maids in the house and my personal assistant Oskar. All have been vetted and willingly allowed me to sweep their mind. They are aware that some of the guests I invite are more secretive in their identities than others and know that any information they may learn in the house is not to be told outside of it.
    John felt his mind retreat back behind his defenses as if slapped at the name of Mr. Shaw’s personal assistant.

Why? Where had he heard that name….

“Oskar,” Emi asked in the dream, “who is it?”

It was then that Grayson, his father, and a less than friendly Keith arrived.

He struggled to keep his composure, reminding himself that such dreams were seldom straightforward pre-tellings of the future and that even Harbinger was challenged at sorting through their imagery.

He would take everything.

John took a deep breath, centering himself as best he could and fighting down the hints of a panic attack.

It must be of great comfort to have a staff you can trust so completely. Given how London feels about the other me, I’m glad to know they are so discrete and can be trusted. Thank you for letting me know.

As the meal continues, Mr. Shaw abruptly sets his knife and fork down before pulling out his phone from his inner jacket pocket. He glances at the Caller ID and then looks around the table. “My apologies, but I need to take this. I’ll return shortly.”

He stands and heads toward the front door in a direct line, phasing through the stairs.

It’s Mr. Maodus. A Myriad executive, Emi explains to John.
    I would conclude that the fact I don’t recognize the name is an indication that your father is downplaying the importance of the call if I knew more about Myriad. Still, I hope it doesn’t disrupt his evening.

“Of course, Alastair,” Mary replied with a smile. “Joe has had to take such calls on occasion. It happens.”

She looked to Emi and smiled. “Of course, the most recent of such calls brought far more pleasant news.”

7. - Top - End - #1417

NinjaGuy

December 5th
    Mall Walking

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Keith emerges a moment after Louis and nods. "Glad you gave me an idea just then though. Works fine for me." He holds up the bag. "Your story actually reminded me of something my uncle complained about the other day on his last hunting trip. Thanks bud."
    "No problem. Just doin' my part I s'pose," Louis replies as he tips his hat with the pride of a blue collar worker. "I take it that's a gift for him then? What's he hunt?" The Cajun asks as the group begins their trek towards the bookstore.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael
    "You know what guys. Breakfast is just not sticking with me today. I'm gonna swing back through the food court real fast and then I'll meet up with you at the book store, cool?"
    "Work up an appetite after all that instigating you did earlier huh?" The West Side lead comments with smirk.

He makes a disgusted face and squints at Louis and Drake. "I ~~promise~~ not to cause any trouble."

He makes a sound to match the face. "Not even to the deserving."

Raphael rotates smoothly on his heel and moves quickly towards the exit of Salmon Ace.
    He shakes his head and lets out a stage sigh. "I think we're good as long as you're not actively trying to make kids cry, though you are kind of hard to look at. A little more sunlight every now and then wouldn't kill ya ya know?"

Take A Look

Once in the bookstore, Drake heads toward the fiction section. Ryker hangs around with Louis for a bit, people watching. He does a double take as he looks over a low shelf at some girls who’re well out of earshot. “Fuuuuuuuuu— Everybody’s ****in’ out today, huh?” he mutters.

Ryker drops his eyes and lets out an angry huff.

Notice: 11 + 2 (Perception) = 13
    Louis glances at Ryker in surprise. "What's got you wound up all of a-" He starts before his eyes finally locate the source of his friends troubles. A woman.

"A little heavy on the foundation today... or is it concealer? I forget which ones which if I'm being honest." Louis observes quietly. "Sooooo do you wanna go over and say somethin' to her or nah?"
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2024-04-24 at 08:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1418

AssassinGuy

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    "No problem. Just doin' my part I s'pose," Louis replies as he tips his hat with the pride of a blue collar worker. "I take it that's a gift for him then? What's he hunt?" The Cajun asks as the group begins their trek towards the bookstore.
    Keith nods with a smirk at the tipped hat. "Yep, he'd complained that the last strap he had broke. Would've grabbed a scope but, his eyes are way better than mine." He thinks for a moment. "Actually wonder how the new blood awakening will affect that...."

He shakes his head. "Mostly just deer and boars. Easiest to find nearly anywhere, and better than most anything else we had to eat." He smiles a bit. "Honestly want to go back out again sometime. I miss it."
    "Work up an appetite after all that instigating you did earlier huh?" The West Side lead comments with smirk.

He shakes his head and lets out a stage sigh. "I think we're good as long as you're not actively trying to make kids cry, though you are kind of hard to look at. A little more sunlight every now and then wouldn't kill ya ya know?"
    December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Drake and Ryker watch Raphael hurry off. The former Rook shrugs and mills around with Drake at the weapons counter in Salmon Ace until Louis and Keith are ready to leave.

Keith looks at Raph as he hurries off and shrugs. Guy could use some more sun, though, Keith kinda understood. At this point, maybe everyone else knew more about his condition than he did. Who knows.

At the bookstore, Keith starts perusing the journals and fiction sections. He wanted to find something by the local author at first to have an idea of her work before trying to schedule a tour for Maeve. Though he also wanted to get her a journal since, it wasn't necessarily big, but could also be useful if things didn't go as he hoped.

He ended up finding one of the books rather quickly, but the journal selections seemed off. Nothing caught his eye here. It also seemed as though he was thinking too small. Something to write in would be the obvious thing for an English student. She probably had hundreds of them that would never be used. He sighed as he looked through and decided to walk around a bit more to see if anything else in the store caught his eye.

Sidney was probably right. I shouldn't be this concerned about a gift after only one date........ He thought to himself as he wandered around to think.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

A Manly Walk in the.... Food Court?

Raphael breathed all the way out and didn't draw a new one in. Leaving the press and the don't think about it.

The pale youth sidled through the currents of shoppers and allowed himself to be carried along until he was deposited unceremoniously at the food court.

"Let's see, let's see..."

not hearing his own voice, Raphael remembered to breathe.

Borgor Sovereign, Lights n Sirens Subs, Tengoo Nipon, Sally's Chimkin Raiders, Mia Mercedes Itlian...

"Let us pay our respects to the throne, then."
    He muttered quietly, on purpose this time.

Raphael bounced back and forth on his feet, antsy in the line. At length, he ordered a Double-Crown and a pipebomb. The vampire found an empty spot, parked it, and with slow, deliberate, contemplative bites, ate his intervention.

As Foretold By Ancient Prophecy, I have Returned:

The vampire sauntered into Tomes by the Trillion. He paused a moment, looking around at the stacked, vandalized corpses of trees.

I've never been a big reader.

Raphael sighed, contented in a manner he'd be hard pressed to explain.

I like how quiet it seems in here.

He blinked a few times, slipping all of his masks back on, and cast a bout for Louis and Co. Sighting his quarry, he glides through the aisles. He's brought to a halt when his eyes alight on the "Mystery/Thriller" section.

He tilts his head, thinking...

possessed of an idea, he speeds towards the team, ducking and weaving through other shoppers.

"Hey." He announces without preamble.

"Do you think Stella like's mysteries?" He jerks a thumb at the offending section of stories. "I thought it might be cool to get two copies of a mystery and, like, argue over whodunit."

Spoiler: GM called Notice
    Show

He follows the combined gaze of the group to Iris and her friend.

The vampire's expression remains unchanged, firmly locked beneath layers of dissembling, disingenuity, and detachment.

Many thoughts run beneath that porcelain mask. One rings out as a single, certain, clear note.

Lady Orchid's Thrall, Lady Orchid's Problem

"Someone's been too rough with the merchandise." He mutters.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Raphael and Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    "Sooooo do you wanna go over and say somethin' to her or nah?"
    Ryker crosses his arms and thinks a moment before he shakes his head. “No,” he says before he looks away. “I don’t think she’d wanna see me anyway.”

He glances up as Raphael joins them and shrugs at his question about books.

"Someone's been too rough with the merchandise." He mutters.
    Ryker’s eyes narrow and he looks back over at Iris. “****,” he mutters through grit teeth as he notices what Louis had hinted at earlier.

Iris seems to sense their gazes upon her and looks in their direction. She says something to her friend, who glances at the three of them, but nods to Iris and heads deeper into the bookstore.

Iris makes her way around the low shelves to the three boys. She smiles at Louis. “Hey, Louis, right?” At any hint of confirmation of his name, she continues. “I thought I recognized you.”

She looks at ‘Derrick’ and Raphael. “Are you guys friends of his?”

Ryker nods, knowing that his voice would give him away if he answered.

She looks a little perplexed at ‘Derrick’s’ silence, but shrugs it off. Her right hands plays with the small silver heart pendant attached to her velvet choker necklace. “How’s Izzy?” she asks Louis.

Keith
    As Keith turns a corner, he almost runs into a girl around the same age as him with chin-length black hair and deep brown eyes. She smiles at Keith and quickly apologizes before she looks up and really takes his appearance in. “Your hair is cool,” she says, eyeing the white streak in it. “Is that natural?”

Providence, RI
    Emi notices John’s shift in mood as her father leaves. Is everything okay, John? she asks with some concern in her tone.

Emi gives Mary a warm smile as she mentally answers John’s question. Mr. Maodus oversees operations and the heroes stationed in Aeon City. It’s rare that Mr. Maodus himself calls my father. Usually it’s Suzanne, his assistant, so it must be something important.

11. - Top - End - #1421

OldWizardGuy

Providence, RI
    Emi notices John’s shift in mood as her father leaves. Is everything okay, John? she asks with some concern in her tone.
    John felt his flicker of embarrassment at being caught by Eli.

You weren't supposed to catch that, either, he sheepishly replied — even if their growing connection simultaneously filled him with comfort. I was confirming some details about the trip to London and he mentioned Oskar. I was familiar with the name — and his role — from a dream. Well, a nightmare, actually — one that was set after your mother’s healing. It was enough to startle me. That's all.

He stared into the distance through the French doors, looking for evidence of fog.

It's the same kind of thing when your recent past impacts your dreams. Except that, sometimes, the future impacts mine. It doesn’t always happen but it happens often enough to be part of what passes for normal.

It's nothing to worry about, he said, as much for his benefit as her’s.

Emi gives Mary a warm smile as she mentally answers John’s question. Mr. Maodus oversees operations and the heroes stationed in Aeon City. It’s rare that Mr. Maodus himself calls my father. Usually it’s Suzanne, his assistant, so it must be something important.
    If we need to get him there quickly, I’ll need you to project a vivid image of the location, John observed. I could gate us into a public space easily but there’s a plus or minus in hitting the right location based on how familiar I am which here I want to go via the Spire.

Well, any time I teleport
    , really, he admitted. It’s the nature of the spells to require focus and awareness to anchor the arrival point. I could probably get to your side if you were on Titan without a second thought but would need to check before walking through the door onto the Apollo landing sites.

John’s eyes darted to Emi as he realized he was implying things.

You or my family, of course.

Still implying.

And a small handful of others.

Stop digging.

Like Sister Anna Marie.

Oh, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

She’s family of course.

STOP DIGGING!

Smooth.

That was loud enough for your father to have heard whether he wanted to or not, wasn’t it?
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; Today at 07:54 AM.