New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

November 1st
    John
    “I wonder what all she’s found,” Emi muses. “While Myriad cleans up what’s available on the internet, some always slips through their net.”

Emi leans forward for another kiss. “I would hope that you’re biased, John,” she says. Her free hand caresses his jaw and lingers for just a moment as she pulls back and smiles at him. “It would worry me if you weren’t.”

She shakes her head as John asks his final question. “I don’t mind them calling me Emi. They’re your family, so it doesn’t bother me.”

Team
    Augur’s second strike cracks the demon’s skull face in two. It shudders before it slumps to the ground and fades into ashes.

The second demon attacking Crowe lets out an ear piercing shriek as Nightgaunt yanks on its essence. It slashes at Crowe, battering him with its wings as its claws rip into his shoulder.

Up above, the first white demon’s chest explodes into black light, starting to bathe the angel in cold dark energy.

Initiative:
    Augur’s second strike kills one of the demons, and Nightgaunt shakes the other! The demon retaliates, Shaking Crowe and Nightgaunt with a scream.
    10s… The white demons go! The one engaged with Crowe unshakes and attacks Crowe for 12 damage!
    The other demon explodes, causing 20 damage to Halo, which is negated by Nightgaunt’s Defend.
    Crowe and Halo have initiative!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Double Duty:

Nightgaunt winces and closes one eye against the hollow god's shriek. He begins to readjust his grip on the monster's essence when he sees the fell glow coming from Halo's opponent.

It's always something.

He let's go of his metaphysical assault on the hollow god fighting keith and rushes up to Halo as a murder of crows, reforming as he reaches her. He reaches out and latches onto her leg and swings himself up, over her head. He plants his boots on her shoulders and kicks out as hard as he can, flinging the wannabe angel out of the way of the hollow god's attack...

Well $#!&....

Leaving him in her place.

He thought it'd burn, or hurt as parts of him tore away. But instead it was just a deathly, empty absence as he watched the pale, almost albino skin of his fingers and other exposed skin turn a glossy, frozen black.

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Nightgaunt resolves held Defend roll
    Nightgaunt takes 20 damage, and is out of bennies to soak, and suffers 3 wounds.
    Nightgaunt takes Influence over Halo

Last edited by big teej; 2023-04-15 at 08:56 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    November 1st
    John
    “I wonder what all she’s found,” Emi muses. “While Myriad cleans up what’s available on the internet, some always slips through their net.”

Emi leans forward for another kiss. “I would hope that you’re biased, John,” she says. Her free hand caresses his jaw and lingers for just a moment as she pulls back and smiles at him. “It would worry me if you weren’t.”

She shakes her head as John asks his final question. “I don’t mind them calling me Emi. They’re your family, so it doesn’t bother me.”
    “Mom surprised me with some of the accuracy she was able to pull out of the news reports from London but I doubt that anything there about you would give her pause about you, given her opinions of tabloids,” John observed leaning in for a third of Emi’s intoxicating kisses.

Kisses, he thought as he wavered in between insecurity and pride, that were all his.

Intoxicating or not, John was careful to place a hand on her hip to help protect the violin by fixing the distance he could come to her on that side of her body while the other slipped around her back. The moment would not last but he had no intention of ending it because he crushed what appeared to be a valuable instrument.

“I’m glad you will permit them that. I could hear the bubbling excitement in Kate’s voice when you accepted it after she chanced the familiarity.”

4. - Top - End - #214

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Team
    Augur’s second strike cracks the demon’s skull face in two. It shudders before it slumps to the ground and fades into ashes.

The second demon attacking Crowe lets out an ear piercing shriek as Nightgaunt yanks on its essence. It slashes at Crowe, battering him with its wings as its claws rip into his shoulder.

Up above, the first white demon’s chest explodes into black light, starting to bathe the angel in cold dark energy.

Initiative:
    Augur’s second strike kills one of the demons, and Nightgaunt shakes the other! The demon retaliates, Shaking Crowe and Nightgaunt with a scream.
    10s… The white demons go! The one engaged with Crowe unshakes and attacks Crowe for 12 damage!
    The other demon explodes, causing 20 damage to Halo, which is negated by Nightgaunt’s Defend.
    Crowe and Halo have initiative!
    Crowe moves slightly out of the way of the white demon as it flies by him and his attention is drawn shortly by the bull on the ground. He sees Raph dive into it and notices his teeth seem a bit.... sharper? Even from where he is, it was an odd detail to see.

Spoiler: Ummm Raph, that shapeshifter thing is getting weird.
    Show

Notice: 1d8o8+1 8 1d6o6+1 3

The demon gets him after Nightgaunt's attack and he feels a slight paint as he brushes it off.

Spoiler: Unshake?
    Show

Spirit: 1d6o6-1 2 1d6o6-1 4

As the bull falls though, he turns his attention back to the white demon, almost reminding him of his last fight with White. Before he disappeared..... Now these things..... He also hears Augur shout orders at Nightgaunt, as though they couldn't handle these three. And as though he had been placed as their leader. He reups his attack on the one at him and shifts the bow to his usual spear.

Spoiler: Rolls, Mechanics, OOC:
    Show

Keith uses his ranged attack and isn't moving! Heavy Weapon AP2, Marksman bonus.
    Shooting: 1d10o10+1 19 1d6o6+1 4
    Damage: 5d6o6 40

He the spear connects, he mentions through the comms. "Thanks, Nightgaunt. Now I can focus on those two."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Halo plummeted downwards from the kick, her anger spiking, before it collapsed into shock as where she was exploded into a nova of darkness. She landed heavily on her feet, but her accordian body buckled down only to shoot back up as the explosion cleared to reveal both demon and entity still alive. Recalling her own distraction in the training exercise, she came up rapidly behind the screeching abomination and jabbed hard right between the wings, enough to jolt it.

Tag.

Spoiler: Machine, actions
    Show

Fly back to flank the bird. I succeeded on the Directly Engage (7) but failed my Fighting roll (3) so rerolled and got a hit (10). Damage was 12 +2 Champion so 14 damage. I’m choosing to Create An Opportunity For Your Allies. Specifically Nightgaunt.

Please ask him to Draw and Immediately Play an Adventure Card.

Unshake on 4: https://orokos.com/roll/975141
    Directly 7: https://orokos.com/roll/975142
    Fighting reroll 10: https://orokos.com/roll/975147
    Attack, Melee 12 +2 Champion (14 damage): https://orokos.com/roll/975149
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2023-04-16 at 09:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Team
    Crowe’s spear pierces right in between two of the demon’s open ribs and hits something vital within. The white demon crumbles into chunks of ash that fall to the ground below.

As Halo attacks the final remaining demon, it lets out yet another ear-splitting scream from inside its chest, but stays in the air.

Initiative:
    Crowe kills a demon and Halo wounds the last one x1! The final demon retaliates, Shaking Nightgaunt and Halo!
    Initiative resets!
    Jacks, 10s… Crowe and Redline have Initiative!

John
    Emi appreciates John’s forethought about her violin. “Thank you for being careful. This instrument is over one hundred years old; I would be hard pressed to replace it.”

She seems distracted for a moment, before she looks back at her boyfriend. “My father is once again gently reminding me that curfew is coming up and someone is still here,” she says with a grin. “As much as I don’t want you to leave, John, it is almost time.”

7. - Top - End - #217

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    Emi appreciates John’s forethought about her violin. “Thank you for being careful. This instrument is over one hundred years old; I would be hard pressed to replace it.”

She seems distracted for a moment, before she looks back at her boyfriend. “My father is once again gently reminding me that curfew is coming up and someone is still here,” she says with a grin. “As much as I don’t want you to leave, John, it is almost time.”
    “Spoilsport,” John says quietly but with a smile as he kisses Emi on the cheek.

“Nora:” John asked politely while glancing up, “As you likely already know, I need to depart soon. Can you ask Dr. Riviera if my concerns over the use of Zylas’ sister as a bridge to account for missing Stones are founded or not and have it relayed to me either here or via Clea?”

He turned back to Emi, once again risking getting lost in her eyes. “Should I see myself out? I would volunteer to do so but Clea would never forgive me if I didn’t at least give her the chance to say hello to you.”

8. - Top - End - #218

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Team
    Crowe’s spear pierces right in between two of the demon’s open ribs and hits something vital within. The white demon crumbles into chunks of ash that fall to the ground below.

As Halo attacks the final remaining demon, it lets out yet another ear-splitting scream from inside its chest, but stays in the air.

Initiative:
    Crowe kills a demon and Halo wounds the last one x1! The final demon retaliates, Shaking Nightgaunt and Halo!
    Initiative resets!
    Jacks, 10s… Crowe and Redline have Initiative!
    Crowe smirks seeing the other demon fall and then feels the pain where it had got him. He looks over at Halo and Nightgaunt before summoning another spear and launching it at the white demon.

Spoiler: Rolls, Mechanics, OOC
    Show

Crowe uses his ranged attack! Heavy Weapon, AP2, and sacrificing movement for Marksman.
    Shooting: 1d10o10 8 1d6o6 4
    Spent 1 Benny to reroll. 2/3 remain
    Damage: 4d6o6 [b]7[/b
    Spent Benny to reroll Damage but too disappointing. 1/3
    Damage (Reroll): 4d6o6 11
    ]
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2023-04-16 at 12:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    John
    “I will relay that to her,” Nora replies as Emi takes John’s hand.

“Let me drop my violin off in my room,” she says. “Then I’ll walk you down to the garage and say hi to Clea.”

She leads him down the hall to the living quarters and disappears briefly into her room.

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    John can hear the low thump of a kick drum and bass, along with a rapid, melodic guitar solo coming from Grayson’s room.

Emi returns and smiles at John as she takes him back through the foyer and down into the garage.

Team
    Crowe’s spear stabs through one of the demon’s wings, but it manages to stay aloft. Its skull face swings around, taking in all of the enemies that surround it. The same dark light from before starts to gather in its hollow chest. This time however, the light seems more intense. Cold air condenses and flows out from between its ribs, dripping to the ground.

Initiative:
    8 of Spades… the demon goes! It unshakes and starts charging an attack!
    8 of Diamonds, 6s, and 3s… Nightgaunt, Augur, and Halo have Initiative!

10. - Top - End - #220

NinjaGuy

Live Fire

Redline’s searing blasts of light burn through the demon’s back. It goes heavily down to its knees, shaking the ground, before it collapses and fades into ashes.
    "Olé." Redline says smugly as he watches the minotaurs form begin to crumble and turn to ash.

Crowe's spear pierces right in between two of the demon’s open ribs and hits something vital within. The white demon crumbles into chunks of ash that fall to the ground below.

"Alright, let's pack it up. Now quit playing around and send that thing back to hell already!" Redline calls out to his two airborne teammates as he fires a burst of suppressive fire at demon.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-04-16 at 08:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    “I will relay that to her,” Nora replies as Emi takes John’s hand.

“Let me drop my violin off in my room,” she says. “Then I’ll walk you down to the garage and say hi to Clea.”

She leads him down the hall to the living quarters and disappears briefly into her room.

Show
    John can hear the low thump of a kick drum and bass, along with a rapid, melodic guitar solo coming from Grayson’s room.

Emi returns and smiles at John as she takes him back through the foyer and down into the garage.
    Spoiler: John hears the music and assumes it is a genre he would confuse with the name of a European capital.
    Show
    Notice Roll for Grayson’s Room: 1d10o10+4 5 1d6o6+4 6

At least, John thought, he did not have to worry about Grayson overhearing much—although he had no way of knowing if it was to mask the sound he and Emi were making or if Zach and Kylie were disturbing him.

He decided he did not want to know. Whichever it was, he would have a difficult time enough later when Emi filled him in on Valèdir and the Challenge.

Okay, so maybe he wanted to know a little. It would give an indication how sensitive his hearing was if he was concerned about overhearing the two of them in the lounge.

The walk to the garage, hand in had, passed in silence. John was aware of the list of responsibilities that would come crashing back down on him once he got into Clea and pulled out. For now, he drank in the simple pleasure of walking, hand in hand, with Emi. She, too, would have unpleasant tasks after he left—tasks he did not envy.

“I was beginning to worry that I would not get to see you this evening, particular friend,” Clea said after the door to the garage was closed. “I suppose I should not be too surprised or upset if John monopolizes your time but I must confess a certain amount of envy.

“Nora won’t provide me with a video or audio feed of what you two get up to in there—which I find somewhat unsporting of her. How am I to know what to tease John about and allude to coyly in my reports to Auntie Henrietta if I am prevented from knowing what you two have been up to?”

“I’m glad to hear you just aren’t making things up,” John quipped.

“My programming forbids it, if you must know,” Clea replied loftily. “Besides: It’s much more enjoyable if I get to tag team with our particular friend when creating moments of embarrassment for you.”

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    John
    “Hello Clea,” Emi replies. She smiles at the car. “Perhaps we can go for a drive this Saturday. Not a race, but something leisurely.”

The psychic blushes a little when Clea mentions trying to get video and audio of them, but quickly recovers. “You do seem to enjoy embarrassing him. We’ll have to talk on our ride and come up with something good,” she says with a wink at the magician.

She turns, putting her arms around John and pulling him close. “I hope you have a good night,” she whispers into his ear after she kisses the side of his neck. “I’m sure we’ll talk soon.”

13. - Top - End - #223

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    “Hello Clea,” Emi replies. She smiles at the car. “Perhaps we can go for a drive this Saturday. Not a race, but something leisurely.”

The psychic blushes a little when Clea mentions trying to get video and audio of them, but quickly recovers. “You do seem to enjoy embarrassing him. We’ll have to talk on our ride and come up with something good,” she says with a wink at the magician.
    “You needn’t be concerned, particular friend—as adorable as it is to see you blush. Your secrets are safe with me in a way that his are not—especially while Nora is protecting them. She’s even less likely to gossip with me than Mimi or Lizzie are.

“That said, I have set aside the day on John’s calendar for a leisurely drive and I am hoping Nora will do the same with yours,” Clea continued as she sent a series of options to Nora that would monopolize Emi’s time on Saturday. “Based on his to do list, John has noted a handful of locations in the Iron Station area he would like to visit. I will make sure to sort the one that requires trips deep into the bayou off of the list of options.

“I do look forward to what I am sure will be a fascinating conversation, though.”

“Before he transferred, Sharpshooter spoke of Bayou Yaga, a practitioner deep in the swaps I thought I should eventually seek out,” John explained.

She turns, putting her arms around John and pulling him close. “I hope you have a good night,” she whispers into his ear after she kisses the side of his neck. “I’m sure we’ll talk soon.”
    “I have a surprising ah..hamount of home…homework,” John replied, wrapping his arms around Emi as she kissed his neck. “I’ll likely be up late, should you want or need to talk.”

He pushed all other thoughts from his mind as he turned to kiss her.

Given how completely her kiss and whispered voice had scattered his thoughts, it was not a challenge to do so.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    John
    Emi nods into John’s shoulder. “I may talk to you later, depending on how… everything goes. Apparently I need to talk to my brother as well, so we’ll see how that goes as well.”

She kisses him one last time before letting go of him and watching him get into Clea. Goodnight, John.

Show
    As Clea pulls out of the base, John spots a familiar white Jaguar SUV in the opposite lane.

Spoiler: TN 8
    Show
    Zack is driving and Kylie is in the passenger seat. John also spots Jadyn’s head peeking out from the backseat in between the two of them.

2ouis
    An ambulance comes wailing around the corner, followed by a police car. The mysterious man glances up at their arrival and teleports in a small spark of electricity back over to Louis. “Good work today, kid,” he says with a small grin. “Those guys are my cue to leave. I’ll see ya around, Redline.”

He nods to the hero and disappears. Louis’ sharp eyes catch him up on the roof of a building on the opposite side of the street before he walks away towards the next street over.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2023-04-17 at 01:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225

OldWizardGuy

Monday Night, 10:30 PM: The Roof of West Side
    Spoiler: Some OOC prequel information from the last post
    Show
    Noticing who’s in the Jag: 1d10o10+4 12 1d6o6+4 9
    1 Bennie spent because John continues to be curious about things….

John sat sipping his desert lime tea, allowing the night to close around him as he considered and reconsidered his visit to East Side.

It was supposed to be a simple visit—the last simple visit for a long time.

It had been anything but.

As he always strove to do, he had done the correct and proper thing. He had stayed on the side of the angels and did what he could to help—even when it required a sacrifice of him.

He sipped his tea.

So why did it feel like he had made a series of dreadful mistakes than achieve successes?

He had arranged to bring dinner, which Emi initially sounded happy about, only to have it disrupted by the return of Grayson/Valèdir.

He had warned Emi that the bloodthirsty beast, who was specifically thirsting for his blood, was returning so that the base could be prepared for a possible violent encounter.

He had watched her caress the dragon and embrace the boy when he was sweeping the building to make sure he was not attacked in the intermediate form she had warned him about during lunch.

He had left the comfort and peace of the two of them reclining together and watching her favorite film so she could intervene on the behalf of his rival during her brother’s chastisement.

And given him a pep talk.

And didn’t get in his face when Grayson—not Valèdir—issued his challenge.

Jesus, Mary, and, Joseph: what was he thinking?

What was he THINKING!

He looked across the rooftop to the doorway down into the Warehouse. The broken shards of his teacup lay at its base.

He stood with a huff, frustrated at his loss of control. He shook his head as he walked over, casting the spell on the most apparent fragment, drawing like to like.

But he understood his frustration. He was playing it safe, afraid to do anything wrong that might make her reconsider the relationship now that Grayson knew the chance he lost.

And John risked making the same mistake he did: Not acting when he should act.

Every action may have been correct. He wasn’t certain how many of them had been right.

He looked down at the cup as he set it back on its saucer, seeing with more than normal sight.

Faint heart never won fair maiden.

He cast the spell.

Spoiler: Undoing the damage he had done
    Show
    Repairing the Cup: 1d12o12+2 11 1d6o6+2 4

The cup reassembled itself as it floated up from the rooftop and was whole again. There was no trace of his shattering of it. Furthermore, it was clean, as all traces of the tea were left behind on the roof when he reassembled it.

There was less clear advice on how to keep fair maiden.

He breathed in.

He held the breath.

He released it.

He was rapidly getting more skilled at such things—which could only bode well for his work in London.

And the encounter was not completely to the benefit of just one side. While Valèdir had not stirred, he sensed him, coiled with Grason’s mind. There would be no avoiding his Challenge. It would come and John would remain contemptible unless John defeated him.

And that it was now highly unlikely that the Challenge would be issued this week.

The certainty of that was worth something.

Unless the news of their trip to Providence was sufficient for Grayson to sign on to the Challenge in an attempt to force its postponement.

He walked over to the cupboard and placed the teacup alongside its fellows.

The small moment of peace he had while Emi cuddled up alongside him and they watched the film, followed by her performance, was worth it all.

But there was still work to be done to prepare for tomorrow—especially since there was a non-zero chance that he might have to improvise summoning a demon child.

He sighed and looked towards the river, watching the lights shimmer across its surface for a moment.

He needed to be prepared for magical improvisation—something one did not want to do when dealing with Hell.

He closed his eyes and bowed his head, acknowledging the frustration that lay behind his moment of pique.

Vrell was a child, even if she was a demon princess—a princess, as he had put into his one page briefing to Seraph and Harbinger, who might need saving.

She might need to be brought here and placed into protective custody with her brother.

Assuming they approved of such a measure—and did not have a better idea, he would be the one who had to do it.

To reach her, he would be opening himself up to communicate with her, making himself vulnerable to her older sister and brother.

He would be exposing himself in the same manner he had been exposed with the Homonculus.

He steadied his breathing, which was beginning to quicken.

He felt his heart begin to palpitate.

He remembered the feeling of the Homunculus gnawing at the edges of his soul as it idly gnawed on the liver of the palace guard, ignoring the bullets striking it.

He steadied his breathing, using what he had learned to release the tension and anxiety that was driving the panic attack.

He had borne the brunt of the Homunculus’ assault to keep it from gnawing at Montcrieff.

He had won that day even if it had cost him—damaged him.

He was stronger now.

But was he strong enough to face a greater demon in such an encounter?

The panic attack faded along with the memory of the clawing and gnawing he could still sense where his soul was scarred.

The baleful stare of the Homunculus faded further back into his memory.

John looked out over Iron Station. It was depending on him.

As he turned and crossed the roof, he sighed—uncertain if he would have found this world or the next to be the source of the greater torments for him by the time he told Kate, Jefferey, and Stephen who he had become on Tuesday night.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2023-04-17 at 06:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

K.S. stands for Kill Secured:

The cold shock to his system took away the breath he didn't need. He felt rigid, stiff, like rising from torpor. Gravity reasserted it's claim on him as he began to tumble away from the hollow god towards the ground.

It's cold. He thought dumbly, morbid fascination gluing his eyes and focus to the glossy black skin exposed through his costume.

It's not as cold as the day the castle fell...

The vampire's lips quirk up in a snarl, his predatory nature incensed and insulted by the damage inflicted on him.

Rage, a vital heat contrasting the deathly chill, took over and flooded his limbs. The glasslike frost crackled and fell away in splinters, revealing unblemished, pale skin beneath.

"Your pain. Is meaningless." Nightgaunt hissed at the hollow god as he reached out for it's essence. He took in a breath as he took hold of it.

"Your hunger. Is meaningless." He chokes out, surrendering to the beast within.

He pulled, yanking himself towards the hollow god, crashing into it's chest boots first and clawed at it, again and again, systematically dismantling the monster.

he slashed across it's mask like face, leaving deep grooves that leaked an evil red light. He pulled at it's ribs, which broke free and shattered in his grip. He pummeled the thing until nothing was left.

The object of his affection turned to ash and dust in his hands which trickled through his fingers. He huffed out a cathartic breath.

Then gravity intruded on his moment again.

He sighed and glided the rest of the way to the ground as a single, sooty raven.

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Fighting: 9 -1 from conditions = 8
    Damage: 24

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Team
    OOC: Combat Ends!

Once the team arrives back at base after completing the small remainder of their patrol route, Mimi comes over the speakers above.

“Terrence and Sophia, once you’ve cleaned up and had something to eat, would you please join Seraph in his office?” the AI requests. “He has a short briefing for you and has made himself available for you to ask any questions you may have.”

18. - Top - End - #228

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Team
    OOC: Combat Ends!

Once the team arrives back at base after completing the small remainder of their patrol route, Mimi comes over the speakers above.

“Terrence and Sophia, once you’ve cleaned up and had something to eat, would you please join Seraph in his office?” the AI requests. “He has a short briefing for you and has made himself available for you to ask any questions you may have.”
    Crowe’s eyes widen seeing the spear bounce off the hollow and then he regains focus seeing Nightgaunt cut it down. He grins and continues along the route with the others before making his way back to West Side.

When he hears Mimi come over the comms, he tilts his head and then thinks a bit on the assignment his uncle had given him. He thanked Louis right fast before heading back to his room to clean up and change, again, and checked his phone.

“Must be out on patrol still. May have just been a terrible date….. **** man I should have planned better.”

Stolas tilted his head from where he sat at the desk looking over their books.

”Master, there is only so much you could have planned. But yes you did muck it up by getting smacked by Marrow. I’m sure she is still curious and interested, just maybe a tad busy. Relax some. Take on another assignment.’ The raven chuckled a bit.

Keith sighed as he put his regular clothes back on and was about to hit the gym, then he thought a moment. “That’s just it Stolas, I need to get stronger. As much as the city is counting on us all, the Empire being here means that it has to be able to rely on me. We need to be able to fight better as a team. And smarter.”

Stolas nodded. ”Yes, master. So then, why not seek out someone who would wish to train you better? I know you want to seek out Silverhorn, and Mimi is still trying to figure out who that is, and that you must seek out Coldfront. Though, given your affections for Maeve that seems to be vastly dangerous right now. Who would be a good fit for you, master?”

Keith thought about it. The main person he had idolized was his uncle. That was who he wanted to be like. But he knew he wouldn’t be able to reach his powers on his own. Not if he kept making stupid decisions like this.

“Harbinger kinda scares me, but I do look up to Seraph and how he seems to balance everything. Maybe I’ll see if he can take me under his wing.” Keith chuckled a bit. “So to speak.”

Keith figured he would seek out Seraph after the meeting with Terrence and Sophia, making sure to know that he had found another idol. Granted the powers were vastly different, knowing the opposite end of the spectrum would be invaluable.

Spoiler: ”Seraph? I have a favor to ask.”
    Show

“Mimi, is Seraph still in his office? I have something I want to talk with him about.” Following her answer, he will go and find Seraph.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Keith
    “Come in,” Keith hears Seraph say through the door as he knocks.

Upon opening it, he sees that the angel is working on some paperwork, and typing on a small laptop. There are neat stacks of papers and documents on either side of his desk, and numerous folders and stacks of blank forms organized behind him on several shelves within easy reach.

There are two leather chairs in front of the desk. Seraph gestures for him to take a seat in one before he sets aside the form he was working on and sits his pen beside it.

“Mimi said you wanted to talk,” he says, looking up at Keith after checking his phone. “What can I help with?”

20. - Top - End - #230

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Keith
    “Come in,” Keith hears Seraph say through the door as he knocks.

Upon opening it, he sees that the angel is working on some paperwork, and typing on a small laptop. There are neat stacks of papers and documents on either side of his desk, and numerous folders and stacks of blank forms organized behind him on several shelves within easy reach.

There are two leather chairs in front of the desk. Seraph gestures for him to take a seat in one before he sets aside the form he was working on and sits his pen beside it.

“Mimi said you wanted to talk,” he says, looking up at Keith after checking his phone. “What can I help with?”
    Keith thanks Mimi as he makes his way over. The office had looked similar to Apex's, just maybe a little less forms.

He smiles as he enters and nods in thanks at first. He takes a seat and realizes that the chairs are a slight bit more comfortable than what he had seen in Apex's office. That was AEGIS for you though.

"Yes sir, and thank you for taking time to speak with me." Keith nodded gratefully at Seraph before his face held a look of hesitation.

"It…. Sorta concerns what I told you last Wednesday about the assignment my uncle gave me, but there's somethin' I have to do first."

"I want to learn to be a better hero, and a smarter one. And something I didn't say before was that when they told me I'd be on your team, I was ecstatic! I want to learn more from you, if possible."

Keith couldn't hide the grin he had worn the first day there and when he heard it would be Seraph's team.

"I knew you were one of the most fair heroes in the city, and being on your team has made me certain that you're the right person for me to learn from."

"I know that there's a lot on your plate, but I did want to know if it would be possible. And I'd be happy to help with anything you need as well, though I know I can't go on night patrol due to curfew, whatever would be of more assistance."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Keith
    “Anytime, Keith,” the angel answers with a smile. His grin widens as the shadowmancer compliments him.

“I appreciate that,” he says. He spares a quick glance to his right where his sword sits leaned up against the wall. “I try to be fair. As fair as I can be, anyway.”

Show
    Seraph’s phone buzzes twice on his desk.

He considers Keith’s question for a moment. “What exactly are you looking for me to do, more than one on ones? You’re right about me not having a lot of time, unfortunately, but I’ll try to help if I can.”

22. - Top - End - #232

NinjaGuy

It takes 2ouis

There’s a sound of a small explosion, and the the man looks around the side of the overturned SUV, bringing Louis’ attention to a wrecked car behind him that’s been smoldering since he started rescue operations. The car has started to catch, and fire billows out from underneath it.

A man and woman are clustered around the car, and it’s obvious the the vehicle belongs to them by their exclamations.

The man in front of Louis lets out a deep sigh at the sight and disappears in another flash of blue lightning, landing in front of the couple. He corrals the two of them and motions them back from the blaze.
    Louis watches the future insurance claim for a few seconds before his conscious urges him to action.

He waves a hand over his head and a massive arrow red arrow appears a few stories above the street. The arrow scrolls through the air towards the intersection, looping at a fixed point. The word "EXIT" trails behind it in bold font.

The hero gets to his feet and takes in a deep breath before calling out to anyone within earshot. "This is Redline from West Side Provisional. For your safety, I ask that anyone able to evacuate the vicinity do so now and follow the red line. Those unable remain where you are and I'll try make my way to you as fast as possible. Emergency Services are already on the way and will meet you at the intersection." Redline continues to survey the street from atop of the overturned vehicle as he finishes his practiced instructions.

An ambulance comes wailing around the corner, followed by a police car. The mysterious man glances up at their arrival and teleports in a small spark of electricity back over to Louis. “Good work today, kid,” he says with a small grin. “Those guys are my cue to leave. I’ll see ya around, Redline.”

He nods to the hero and disappears. Louis’ sharp eyes catch him up on the roof of a building on the opposite side of the street before he walks away towards the next street over.
    "Until next time mystery man." Louis says, nodding in return. "Never caught your name though..." His voice trails off as he watches the older man disappear beyond the rooftop.

Can't say I blame'em. No one likes getting stuck with paperwork.

Redline hops down onto the pavement and starts to walking towards the pair of first responders. "Hey Mimi, can I get a list and descriptions of every known meta hero or vigilante with an electric powerset currently working Iron Station?"

Walk in the Park

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaunt
    The object of his affection turned to ash and dust in his hands which trickled through his fingers. He huffed out a cathartic breath.

Then gravity intruded on his moment again.

He sighed and glided the rest of the way to the ground as a single, sooty raven.
    Redline teleports to over to the raven, closing the gap between them in an instant. "Nice save earlier. I know you're okay but I figured I'd ask anyway. You want some bread? Or a quarter maybe?"

He touches his communicator. "So, how's everyone holdin' up?" Redline inquires on the open channel.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-04-18 at 06:53 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    Walk in the Park

Redline teleports to over to the raven, closing the gap between them in an instant. "Nice save earlier. I know you're okay but I figured I'd ask anyway. You want some bread? Or a quarter maybe?"

He touches his communicator. "So, how's everyone holdin' up?" Redline inquires on the open channel.
    Augur looks himself over, realizing he hadn't been touched. "I think I'm going to survive, but you may have to cut off my leg," he replies, a silly grin on his face.

November 1st
    Team

T finishes his shower and throws on his sweatpants and slides. Leaving the towel around his neck, he grabs a couple of bananas in the kitchen on his way to Seraph's office. He knocks and enters when the hero looks up from his desk, sitting in one of the chairs and peeling the first banana. "Hey boss, you wanted to see me?"
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2023-04-18 at 07:03 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

OldWizardGuy

Monday Night, 10:38 PM
    “John,” Mimi announced as he made his way towards the roof doorway, “I have completed the decoding using the parameters you set.”

He stopped and took his iPad Mini from his jacket pocket. “Have I mentioned lately that you are a treasure, Mimi?” John asked. “Because you are, you know.”

He frowned as he scanned over the initial pages. While he could follow some of what was there, it was clear it would not be fast going.

“Let me guess,” he said as he began to drift back towards the patio set. “No one at West Side has a secret background as a brilliant geneticist. Do we have any indications of such knowledge on the other provisional teams or anyone associated with us here in town?”

He would need to speak to Raphael about this.

He glanced up, looking in the direction of 5th Chapter.

“Mimi:” John added as he pulled up the AEGIS messaging app, “can you ask Stella and Raphael to join me on the roof? I should probably brief them about developments with Princess Vrell and with the decoding of the journal.”

Spoiler: Text to Raphael
    Show
    Are you ready to talk to Stella about what we have learned?
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2023-04-18 at 08:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    Walk in the Park

Crowe taps his commlink. "No complaints here."

November 1st
    Keith
    “Anytime, Keith,” the angel answers with a smile. His grin widens as the shadowmancer compliments him.

“I appreciate that,” he says. He spares a quick glance to his right where his sword sits leaned up against the wall. “I try to be fair. As fair as I can be, anyway.”

Show
    Seraph’s phone buzzes twice on his desk.

He considers Keith’s question for a moment. “What exactly are you looking for me to do, more than one on ones? You’re right about me not having a lot of time, unfortunately, but I’ll try to help if I can.”
    Keith smiles seeing that Seraph was open to the idea and looked at the sword seeing the glance. He nodded as Seraph had finished his comment.

"More than fair as far as I can see. Especially considering the current circumstances." Keith conceded.

Spoiler: Is my phone buzzing? It might be.
    Show

Notice: 1d8o8 1 1d6o6 2

Keith thinks for a moment about the question. He wasn't entirely sure what he would need Seraph to do. He knew he wanted to try and earn his respect but that would be something.....really off putting to say out loud. He needed to be smarter, and stronger. Smarter, most importantly.

"I'm honestly not sure. I have to admit a part of it is that I'm scared of becoming like that man at some point. I know that is entirely my choice to make but I want to set myself apart from him. I think a great deal will mostly be one on ones, or even trying to help pick up anything necessary."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Far More Scary:

Aftermath...
    The sooty raven turns its head from side to side, looking at Louis with it's beady black-on-black eyes before standing up as Nightgaunt again.

He wipes drying blood from his face and shakes demonic ichor from his hands. "Maybe just a towel." He deadpans. The vampire peels off what's left of his finger-less gloves and casts them aside.

He looks around at the team and then back to Louis with a smile. "All the newbies lived, it's a start."

At Home....

Raphael takes a cold, hot, and cold shower before migrating to the lounge in black sweats and a matching hoodie. He plops on the couch and boots up a remaster of Battlesuit Arcturus: Collision Point. Reaching for the remote, he mutes the tv and puts his earbuds in.

Anyone entering the lounge can hear the faint sound of drums and a chugging guitar.

Twenty minutes and just as many kills later, The vampire perks up as his phone chimes over the music. He takes up his phone and sees John's message.

He sighs and types back:

Spoiler: Text to John:
    Show

No, but I don't see time improving the situation.

He hits send, pauses the game, and puts the earbuds back in their capsule before padding up to the roof, blood bag in hand.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    2ouis
    Mimi recites several heroes and vigilantes with known electric powers. “There is also Blitz from East Side Provisional that you met this last Saturday,” she finishes.

Seraph’s Office, Terrence and Sophia
    As he enters the office, Terrence sees the angel busily working; reading through forms, making notes, and occasionally typing on a small laptop on the right side of his desk. There’s several stacks of paperwork on his desk, and behind him are shelves filled with folders and blank forms.

To his right, his sword with a chicken egg sized orange gemstone in the cross guard is leaned against the wall. In front of his desk are two comfortable looking leather chairs.

“Mimi alerted me to an email that Sophia sent earlier today,” the angel says as he closes his laptop. He moves the form he’s been filling in off to the side so that there’s a clear space in front of him. “Once Sophia arrives, I’ll give you two a short briefing on the current situation and give the two of the you the opportunity to ask me any questions that you might have. I also wanted to ask how your first patrol went with the rest of the team.”

Rooftop, John and Raphael
    “Unfortunately, John, we do not have any geneticists that I could call up here in Iron Station,” Mimi replies.

Stella arrives a little bit after Raphael. She pulls her jacket tighter around her as the wind blows a little, looking curiously at the two of them. “A secret rooftop meeting?” she asks as she moves to sit on the arm of the couch.

Seraph’s Office, Keith
    “I understand,” Seraph says with a nod. “You want to differentiate yourself from your father. I think that just being on a provisional team like this is great first step.”

Show
    Seraph’s phone buzzes three more times.

The angel sighs as he gives up trying to ignore his phone and checks his texts. “Sorry,” he mumbles as he reads. He rubs his jaw and lets out a deep breath before looking up at Keith. “I actually have something that you could help me out with, if you’re feeling up to it. It’s not exactly hero work, but it would make me feel better.”

“I’m supposed to go on patrol after this with Harbinger and Tasha’s getting off work late. She only walks a few blocks to her apartment, but I always worry about her. I can’t ward her whole walk home. Do you mind? You can take someone from South Side if you want. I think they’re all back now.”

“Of course,” Seraph continues, “You don’t have to if you don’t want to. This isn’t official AEGIS business.”

28. - Top - End - #238

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    “Unfortunately, John, we do not have any geneticists that I could call up here in Iron Station,” Mimi replies.

Stella arrives a little bit after Raphael. She pulls her jacket tighter around her as the wind blows a little, looking curiously at the two of them. “A secret rooftop meeting?” she asks as she moves to sit on the arm of the couch.
    Part of John regretted not having made himself another cup of tea—the part of him that was in the here and now and wanted immediate gratification. He knew that it would be a bad idea to do so. He planned to excuse himself soon and leaving a dirty tea cup behind would nag at him, distracting him from the work he would be doing later.

A comforting warm beverage, however, would have been nice, given the conversation he was about to have—both as a comfort and as a prop.

“The three of us are supposed to be maintaining airs of mystery,” John replied to Stella as she sat down. “A secret meeting here and there adds to the effect.”

The smile disappeared from his face. “The first two items on the agenda will likely go quickly enough. Thanks to Mimi, although I played a small part in setting up the parameters, we have a decoded copy of Dr. Issac’s notebook. She can provide you with a copy of it, if you are curious. I’ve been glancing through it and it is slow going in places. My knowledge of alchemy helps some but that only gets me as far as Mendel before the sciences diverge so it may take me a day or two to get through all of his notes to make sure I’m not overlooking something important.

“Item two involves your curse, Stella. Although I am awaiting for clearance from Seraph, I may have to summon a demon, Zylas’ little sister Vrell, to be precise, sometime tomorrow morning. I didn’t want to accidentally trigger a painful episode for you—especially if their older brother, who may now be in league with our enemies, lashes out at me during the process. As such, it might be a good time for the two of you to take a walk or grab a cup of coffee or something.”

John paused and looked down before making sure that Raphael was close by. It was still strange for him to think of a vampire’s looming presence as being comforting and reassuring but, as he reminded himself, he was supposed to be supportive of others and had just casually mentioned summoning a demon child tomorrow morning.

“The third item,” he began as he looked up and into Stella’s eyes, “is more complicated and close to home.

“As you may recall, you met a young woman the other evening—Cassie Woods—at 5th Chapter the other evening. I feel confident that you recall her because of the sense of an immediate connection you felt with her.

“There’s a reason for that connection, Stella. She’s your biological sister.”

He paused for a brief moment before pressing ahead.

“Emi and I did a little research and were able to uncover some information. When your parents divorced, your father received custody of her and, in 2002, they moved north to a town about an hour south of Chicago, taking Callista—Cassie with him.

“Your father died in an automobile accident in 2004. Based on the police reports, it appears something spooked him and he swerved and ran off the road. His car fell down an embankment, rolled, and ended up in the river. His official cause of death was drowning.

“Cassie was assumed to have been ejected from the car because her body was never found. She somehow ended up adopted by a couple who own a restaurant in Piper City—a small town of about 1,000. She moved here on a whim a little while ago and has been taken under Feris’ wing since then.

“Someone above him knows more but that’s the kind of thing Raphael would know more about than I. Feris was told not to ask questions and I had pushed my luck enough by that point in the conversation to ask more.

“To the best of everyone’s knowledge, Cassie doesn’t know.”

John glanced up at Raphael before looking back to her. “I hope you can forgive me for my ongoing role of being the source of unexpected information about your personal life. Nevertheless, we thought you should know.”

As much as he wanted to say, ‘I’ll let the two of you talk,’ John knew he had to stick around long enough for Stella to ask him questions.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2023-04-19 at 05:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Seraph’s Office, Keith
    “I understand,” Seraph says with a nod. “You want to differentiate yourself from your father. I think that just being on a provisional team like this is great first step.”

Show
    Seraph’s phone buzzes three more times.

The angel sighs as he gives up trying to ignore his phone and checks his texts. “Sorry,” he mumbles as he reads. He rubs his jaw and lets out a deep breath before looking up at Keith. “I actually have something that you could help me out with, if you’re feeling up to it. It’s not exactly hero work, but it would make me feel better.”

“I’m supposed to go on patrol after this with Harbinger and Tasha’s getting off work late. She only walks a few blocks to her apartment, but I always worry about her. I can’t ward her whole walk home. Do you mind? You can take someone from South Side if you want. I think they’re all back now.”

“Of course,” Seraph continues, “You don’t have to if you don’t want to. This isn’t official AEGIS business.”
    Keith grinned a bit and then thought about his mistake earlier that day.

"Yes sir, and it's been nice feelin' like I'm part of one too. Still worried a bit about when the full truth has to come out." Keith shook his head. "Which may be much sooner than any of us would like, considerin'."

He tilted his head at the buzzing noise again but not feeling his phone.

Spoiler: Phantom Vibrations now with hearing?!
    Show

Notice: 1d8o8 6 1d6o6 2

Oh, that was Seraph's phone! Keith nodded and grinned again. "Nothin' to apologize for sir! Honestly thought I was mine at first and was about to start apologizing for that."

He rubbed the back of his neck and then sat straight up as Seraph started asking him if he minded helping Natasha. He nodded.

"I don't mind at all! Already promised her the other day when John and I met with Aimee I'd help her anyway I could too."

He thinks for a moment as Seraph mentions taking someone from South Side. His options were going to be interesting. Especially given the circumstances of today already. Drake might be a bit angry still, and he would need time to talk with Yuki. Aeryn may have some new power at night but if something did happen, he would feel bad about Aeryn getting hurt just like he had about caused Drake to earlier.

Ryker would be a good option too, though who knows how that conversation would go.

"Can always use the walk up to talk with Drake about mistakes made today, or give Ryker some fresh air. Know he doesn't get out much." Keith shrugged. "I'll see if Drake is free. We have a few things to discuss too."

Keith went to stand up, and as he did, he bowed a bit in thanks. “Seraph, I can’t thank you enough for this. If it helps, I consider you my hero and won’t let you down.” As he rose back up he figured now was as good a time as any.

“Oh right, we did find out who Rin is. Well, John did but I’m not sure if he told you yet. Seems like she may be another child of Jason’s. Also, slightly off hand, Mayor Albrite said he’d be in touch after saving him and his daughter from Red Widow and Harrier the other day. I have a thought that he may have a stone as a keepsake. Mimi mentioned he was related to the founding Smith family so it may not hurt to check.” Keith took a deep breath.

“Want to make sure to keep you in the loop of it all just in case.” He grinned. “But I’ll go see if Drake is free, and if not, check on Ryker and make sure Natasha gets home safe.”

Unless Seraph had more to add, Keith makes his way to check in with Drake and see if he is free to take a walk up town.

“Hey Drake, you free to walk and talk a bit?” Keith will ask when he finds him. “I’ll repay you in pizza afterwards for takin’ ya away from studyin’. Also doin' a quick assignment for Seraph.”
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2023-04-19 at 04:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Stella looks with wide eyes between John and Raphael before she blinks and moves her gaze slowly down to the rooftop. Her arms wrap themselves around the top of her stomach, almost as if to hold herself together, and Raphael can catch the sharp scent of tears before she blinks them away.

“Callista,” she repeats softly. “I remember that name. From when I was a child. I always thought she was like… an imaginary friend. My mother never talked about her. If I ever brought her up, mère would chastise me.”

“We didn’t even have any pictures of père around the house. Mère was always so angry. She never wanted to talk about him. Now I know why, I guess.”

She starts to say more, but her hand moves up to her throat as her curse starts to activate. The sorceress swallows before looking back up at John and Raphael. Her tone gains a hint of sharpness and a tinge of disappointment. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

Keith
    “Thank you, Keith,” Seraph replies. “Natasha works on the 35th floor. I’ll send over your names to security, so you’ll just need to scan your IDs to get in. I really appreciate you doing this for me.”

The angel nods to Keith’s bow as the shadowmancer sees himself out.

Keith finds Drake in his room. He looks freshly showered and is dressed in a t-shirt and sweatpants. “Lemme put some real clothes on and I’ll meet you in the living room.”

A few minutes later, Drake emerges from the living quarters, now dressed in jeans and dark green v-necked shirt. A necklace with a silver ring on it is visible around his neck. He looks at Keith curiously. “So where are we going? What are we doing for Seraph?”