New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Pathfinder: Ninjas and concealment

(Hoping this is the correct sub-forum)

So I'm playing a ninja with sneak attack. I'm reading up on concealment and smoke pellets. I need help with the action economy.

I use full attack action and a ki pnt to get an extra attack. first attack to throw a pellet at my own feet putting me standing in a 5ft square of smoke granting me concealment. I use the next 2 attacks to sneak attack the bad guy. I don't have a penalty because they don't have concealment (right?).

On their turn their attacks against me have a penalty because I have concealment.

Am I right?
    Last edited by Cowboy_ninja; 2023-03-19 at 01:16 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder: Ninjas and concealment

Re sub-forum: I believe you want the Roleplaying Games sub-forum, or possibly the D&D 3e/3.5e/d20 sub-forum inside that. This one is typically for video games, board games, and other games that don't fall into the category of tabletop RPGs.

As to your question... the rules aren't 100% clear on this, but I think it's fairly likely a GM would rule that being at the center of a smoke cloud gives everything concealment from you, unless you have some special ability to see through smoke. The smoke pellet says it acts like a smokestick (except for the smaller area/duration), which in turn refers you to the fog cloud spell, which says "The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance)." Now, if you were at the center of a Fog Cloud shooting at someone outside it, it would be absurd to say that you can see them perfectly because they're not in the spell's area - that's not how visibility works. It doesn't matter whether they're inside the effect; it matters that your line of sight passes through the cloud to get to them.

You are correct that you would have concealment from everyone else, though. (Note that concealment alone is not enough to let you sneak attack - you'll still need to flank or deny them their Dex to AC.)
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2023-03-19 at 08:32 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!