New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: If there was going tp be a heat-death of the universe, would that be order or ch

Quote Originally Posted by Ixtellor View Post
    2) Quantum mechanics can suggest that until something interacts with classical physics you are in a cat in a box scenario. So absent of classical physics -- no a tree has both fallen and not fallen in the woods if there is no classical aspects of physics there to 'witness it'.
    This is a common misconception. There's no hard line between quantum and classical physics;1 classical systems are made up of quantum systems. There's no need for a "classical" system to witness a quantum event. "Witnessing" or "Measuring" is just what we call any interaction, and as such a quantum system interacting with another quantum system will constrain both systems. As quantum systems grow in size, with more and more discrete parts interacting, the probability distribution strongly narrows, so that by the time you have a few thousand molecules the quantum and classical predictions strongly agree with each other i.e. the population of the predicted probability distribution falls almost entirely in a very narrow region around a single point.

1: Indeed, that there isn't a hard line is a bit of a problem, since quantum mechanics contradicts general relativity and vice versa
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: If there was going tp be a heat-death of the universe, would that be order or ch

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I disagree.

If there is no order without an observing intelligence, why is it not also the case that there is no chaos without an observing intelligence?
    You're confusing chaos with disorder. Disorder can only be defined in relation to order, so yes, that requires observation. But chaos is an absence of purpose. Chaos is the only thing that can exist, when there is no observing intelligence.

Classically "Chaos" is how the universe began. Before there were titans, let alone gods, there was Chaos. Order only began to form when intelligence emerged. That wasn't a coincidence.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Classically "Chaos" is how the universe began. Before there were titans, let alone gods, there was Chaos. Order only began to form when intelligence emerged. That wasn't a coincidence.
    Show me how titans and gods can be empirically tested for. Since the heat death is talking about the eventual fate of our universe and not one of the fictional ones where gods and heroes regularly intervene to keep the cosmos on track.

You're certainly free to your personal subjective opinions about what "order" and "chaos" are. But other people are free to wonder what the specifics of your criteria are, and they're also free to have subjective personal opinions that might or might not align with yours. The problem with "order" and "chaos" as terms is that, unlike defined terms like "entropy", there are no objective measures that any two people can gather the same data and be sure that their positions agree.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    Show me how titans and gods can be empirically tested for. Since the heat death is talking about the eventual fate of our universe and not one of the fictional ones where gods and heroes regularly intervene to keep the cosmos on track.

You're certainly free to your personal subjective opinions about what "order" and "chaos" are. But other people are free to wonder what the specifics of your criteria are, and they're also free to have subjective personal opinions that might or might not align with yours. The problem with "order" and "chaos" as terms is that, unlike defined terms like "entropy", there are no objective measures that any two people can gather the same data and be sure that their positions agree.
    The starting post of the thread highlighted subjectivity. It said:
    it seems to me that that would be order, not chaos.

Does anyone agree or disagree? if neither, then what?
    What is that, if not an invitation to discuss the meanings of "order" and "chaos" in this context?

Anyway, I mentioned "classical" chaos. The word itself is Greek, and according to Greek mythology "chaos" is what the universe emerged out of. Starting with titans, then gods, then worlds. I'm not suggesting that that is a plausible cosmology (I don't think there's any very interesting debate to be had on that, although I may be underestimating some people) - I'm suggesting that past usages of words, including "chaos", are relevant to how we should understand and use them today.
    Last edited by veti; 2023-05-11 at 02:25 AM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by crayzz View Post
    This is a common misconception. There's no hard line between quantum and classical physics;1 classical systems are made up of quantum systems. There's no need for a "classical" system to witness a quantum event. "Witnessing" or "Measuring" is just what we call any interaction, and as such a quantum system interacting with another quantum system will constrain both systems. As quantum systems grow in size, with more and more discrete parts interacting, the probability distribution strongly narrows, so that by the time you have a few thousand molecules the quantum and classical predictions strongly agree with each other i.e. the population of the predicted probability distribution falls almost entirely in a very narrow region around a single point.

1: Indeed, that there isn't a hard line is a bit of a problem, since quantum mechanics contradicts general relativity and vice versa
    I'm no expert, but a quantom superpostion is just that until it is 'observed' or react with something (classical) that collapses the waveform. Right? (you mentioned molecules)
    In classic we know location, velocity, etc in a quantum its in a superposition until 'observation.'

This is all in relation to the OP's thing about a tree falling in the woods and yes trees are made of many molecules, but I assumed he was using it as a metaphor and not a literal tree.

So I'm confused when you say there is no hardline when were talking about an exact location, velocity, etc versus an unbroken waveform of superposition --- it feels like a hardline (which is really just saying we dont understand reality yet)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

This is all in relation to the OP's thing about a tree falling in the woods and yes trees are made of many molecules, but I assumed he was using it as a metaphor and not a literal tree.
    I was referring to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_a_t...ls_in_a_forest

Which is apparently literally about trees, though viewing them in a seemingly unlikely way, and nothing much to do with quanta at all.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So I'm confused when you say there is no hardline when were talking about an exact location, velocity, etc versus an unbroken waveform of superposition --- it feels like a hardline (which is really just saying we dont understand reality yet)
    It being a hardline is more an approximation, really.

Under the wave-particle duality, particles can be seen as traveling wave packets, which may be more or less localized (the more "concentrated" the packet, the less/more uncertain the particle's position/momentum, in accordance to Heisenberg's principle). You can extend this notion (sort of) to molecules and beyond, however, the larger the object becomes, the more negligible the uncertainty intrinsic to its position and velocity is, and we arrive at a point in which it becomes meaningless with respect to an operative definition of such quantities and other sources of error (for example: if you throw a ball, the deformations it'd go through due to internal/external forces acting on it would induce a much greater "uncertainty" on what we may define as the "ball's center" along the trajectory than whatever quantum fluctuation).

And that applies without calling into question gravity. If general relativity weren't a thing, there'd be no other shortcoming I'm aware of that would prevent us from describing macroscopic physics in terms of quantum mechanics, it would "just" be computationally prohibitive and not very productive.
    Last edited by Captain Cap; 2023-05-14 at 12:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

If I may return to evaporating black holes, then rather than the black hole evaporating to nothing, surely at some point the black hole would have lost enough mass for the gravity generated by the remaining matter in the singularity to be unable to keep the singularity intact, and all the matter trapped within would then explosively escape.

Feel free to say "no, because..."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Storm_Of_Snow View Post
    If I may return to evaporating black holes, then rather than the black hole evaporating to nothing, surely at some point the black hole would have lost enough mass for the gravity generated by the remaining matter in the singularity to be unable to keep the singularity intact, and all the matter trapped within would then explosively escape.

At least it isn't so clear. General Relativity doesn't give a minimum mass for a black hole, just a density requirement that increases as the mass decreases. With the relativity of simultaneity, how to figure the density inside the event horizon is beyond my understanding.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ because that world-class powerlifter "surely" requires at least a working theory of quantum gravity to be evaluated and assessed. It probably should require a full theory of everything to evaluate and quantify, since a black hole at the end of the Hawking radiation evaporation process is by necessity pegging just... all the scales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I see you felt free to take the mickey.

The rate of evaporation of the last of the mass is enough to be thought of as a very big bang indeed, compared to anything detonated on Earth, including all known volcanoes.

It's not quite a supernova, but I'm not sure even a nova gets as close.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I see you felt free to take the mickey.

The rate of evaporation of the last of the mass is enough to be thought of as a very big bang indeed, compared to anything detonated on Earth, including all known volcanoes.

It's not quite a supernova, but I'm not sure even a nova gets as close.
    To be fair, at that point we have the problem of GR meeting with QM, so any prediction of what's supposed to happen is to be taken with a grain of salt.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

For all we know it could "simply" cap out in a very large neutron star. Internal structure of black holes is a very theoretical area of physics. We have some guesses based on how we think gravity works at high energies, but they are just extrapolations of unknown worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm no expert, but a quantom superpostion is just that until it is 'observed' or react with something (classical) that collapses the waveform. Right? (you mentioned molecules)
    In classic we know location, velocity, etc in a quantum its in a superposition until 'observation.'

Might be a refrence to the Wigner's Friend thought experiment. Imagine there's a cat in a box with a vial of poison whose opening or non opening is linked to a quantum event, and this box is inside of a larger box with a scientist who opens the first box. What the scientist finds when he opens the first box is indeterminate until someone opens the second box.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Maximum entropy is the configuration that suprises you the most.