New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Wrath of the Righteous IC

Here is the IC thread for the Wrath of the Righteous game.

Here is the link to the Recruitment thread:https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...s-(seeking-DM)

Here is the link to the OOC thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...1#post25739581

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

The party is gathered together at Citadel Drezen. Queen Galfrey has sent the party a sending spell, saying that she needs to talk to you all urgently, and that she will appear shortly.

"Have secured an item of utmost significance. Something that can shut the Worldwound rift forever. We need to meet as soon as possible to discuss," the message says. The party has had time to recover from the previous battles that have brought you this far, and now it is time to prepare to take the fight to the enemy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Rosalyn had awoken that morning in her rooms. The tiredness was intense, weeks of battling in Drezen to recover the Sword of Valour and then the more recent battles against the Ivory Labyinth had taken their toll. She performed her normal morning stretches as she waited for the tea to cool, patting the hilt of her sword fondly. In the worn leather there was the faintest of red stitching that one could just make out the three names woven in the hilt, one beginning with T, one E and on I. Although what they may have been was now faded with use.

As she received the sending she slowly donned the battered and chipped full plate and strapped on her sword. She focused her energies and spectral light blossomed forth as she adopted the silver Crane, and leapt skywards. Spiraling out of the narrow window she flew down the from tower landing lightly in the corridor and advanced purposefully towards the great hall to speak with the young Queen. A queen she had met several times and watched growing up, even over the centuries that Roslayn herself had gone to war and raised families in. Approaching the hall she saw the others she had been fighting alongside and offered morning greetings. "Good morning my fellows, light of the inheritor shine upon you..." the irony of the light radiating from herself was lost on her. "I wonder what news the young Queen has?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Lady Rosalyn "The Eternal Crusader"
    F LG Aasamir Warder (Zweihander Sentinel), Level 12, Init 10, HP 193/193, Speed 60 // 40
    AC 32, Touch 16, Flat-footed 29, CMD 35, Fort 14, Ref 12, Will 13, CMB +19/+19/+14, Base Attack Bonus 12 / 12 / 7
    Cold Iron Evil Outsider Bane Falchion +2 24/24/19 (24/21/18) (2d4+15 (26), 15 - 20 / x 3)
    Full Plate +4 (+13 Armor, +3 Shield, +3 Dex, +3 Natural)
    Abilities Str 24, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 21, Wis 15, Cha 18

Condition
    +2 Morale Vs Mind affecting
    +2 sacred Vs Evil sourced Spells / SPA
    +2 Will saves Vs Demons
    +3 saves Vs Fear
    +5 Mythic to Mind affecting
    Cold/Electricity/Acid 5
    +1 hit/+2 Damage vs L+ size enemies
    Mythic Saves: Evasion/Mettle Vs Non Mythic Spells/SPA
    Adamantine Mind: If pass Mind affecting save save Enemy make Will save vs Same DC or stunned 1 round

Spells
    Deathward (24 hours) Fouchland
    Endure Elements (24 hours) Fouchland

Path of War

Stance:
    [ACTIVE] Stance Crane Knight (DR10/evil, Fly 120ft (good), radiate light)
    Silver Crane endurance (fast healing 5)
    Stance Silver crane (Holy weapons, Protection from Evil)
    Running hunter's stance (Scent, +10 ft speed)
    Silver Crane Waltz (+5 Initiative, +3 dodge AC)

Maneuvers (Ready 8)
    Argent King Scepter [Strk] +12d6 damage, heal 60 hps
    Harry the Prey [Strk] If hit allies w/in 30ft gain 1 attack as well
    Argent Knight [Strk] Charge +8d6 dam, Heal all 30ft 5d6
    Furious Primal Wrath [Strk] -4 to hit for +20 / 35 damage
    Steel shell [Ctr] Opposed Atk with shield to block or DR20/—
    Quick snap [Ctr] counter attack doing double damage
    Burnished shell [Ctr] Oppsed Atk Vs CL check to negate spell
    Defend the Pride [Boost] Allies 60ft gain +4 AC

Mythic 13 / 13
    Surge +1d8
    Amazing initiative: Spend 1 MP for 1 Std Action
    Recuperation: "Long rest", 1 hour + 1 MP = 1/2 HPs and class abilities
    Sudden Block: 1 MP = Tier to AC, "disadvantage" on attack, make melee counter attack
    Sudden Attack (Swa): Spend 1 MP for extra attack, roll twice, ignore DR
    Impossible Speed : 1 MP + +50ft for overland 1 hour
    Mythic Power attack: Spend 1 MP to ignore penalty to hit for 1 minute

Last edited by DrK; 2023-03-23 at 08:50 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Good Morning as well, I think we should prepare for what ever it is the Queen might have for us as it must be important enough to summon us to battle so soon after our last.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Bill Elenath is already there, dressed in a somewhat eccentric arrangement of robes and other articles of clothing which just barely qualify as a classical wizardly look. His prompt arrival is no fluke, since it is well known by now that he has no need of sleep and typically keeps his adventuring gear on him even when off duty in the fortress. He gives a nod of acknowledgement to the others. "A weapon capable of closing the wound from the message is certainly no light matter. I imagine we will be leaving very promptly to make use of it after this meeting."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Fouchland Richards slowly walks into the room with his eyes closed, each step punctuated by a small click of his heel. With a flourish, he'll turn to address the rest of the party, and open his eyes. As he does, his hair gives off a brilliant glow of light.

"I've heard the good news. It seems that our benefactor has finally figured out a way to close the Worldwound. Though the night has been long, the Dawn ALWAYS arrives."

As he does, one could almost hear the faint sound of angelic horns and trumpets play in the background.

When he's done being overly dramatic, Richards will clap his hands and address the room once more.

"Alright, enough of that. Queen Galfrey will be here soon. Let us eat breakfast now, so that when she arrives, we can begin the mission post-haste."

With that, he will make his way to the table and begin casting Create Food and Water for the party.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2023-03-23 at 12:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

A small smile crept across Hiiagra's face as the five companions convened. So much of their time together had been pitched battles leading to an uncertain future. To see everyone here, well rested and refreshed, it really felt like they were starting to turn a corner. And now, with the item Queen Galfrey had secured, they may finally have a way to strike back.

"I am glad for any signs of hope. The longer the Wound festers, the more people die."
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I am also glad of it, at last my search may well be over. A hundred years wandering the wound, and all worth it if I see the day it finally closes." Bill straightens up off the wall and joins the others, but does not eat the offered food. "I only hope we pay the abyss back a hundredfold for every life lost in the process."

9. - Top - End - #9

Hiigara hung back with Bill, likewise politely declining the meal as he toyed with a ring on his right hand. He didn't miss the pangs of hunger, or the irritating rasps of thirst, but the smells though.. Scent would inevitably trigger memories of flavor, and it was sometimes enough to send phantom rumbles through his stomach. Hiigara coughed lightly to clear his mind.

Even in this place of relative safety, the Aasimar couldn't help but eye corners and blind spots critically. The two single-most horrific moments of his life had both happened when he had believed himself to be safe. If such a weapon or artifact had been discovered and claimed by Queen Galfrey, it was likely she was not the only being aware of it. The scholars. The men and women who undoubtedly risked their life to find and claim it. The enemy. A moment of chance where a few words were overheard by a passerby. The more he thought about it, the more a nagging worry threatened to invade his thoughts. Planning and caution before paranoia. Hiigara lets his hand fall away from the ring, purpose renewed.

"I'm eager to find out this news precisely," Hiigara nods to Rosalyn, "-and what part we may be asked to play."
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2023-03-25 at 02:01 AM.
    Show
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With a gentle sound effect of a harp, which she seems to have created and sent in order to provide warning of her presence, the Queen arrives, in the company of a royal mage. She looks around, seeming pleased that the whole party has heeded her request. "Greetings, friends. Thank you for gathering. I have another task for you, one that is even more dangerous than those you have already faced. Intelligence gathered at the Ivory Sanctum suggest that the potent Nahyndrian crystals are being refined into elixirs of mythic power, and she is concerned by the discovery that the cults of Deskari and Baphomet are seeking to draw Nocticula into their plots. I need you to do a number of things to end the threat. The Lexicon of Paradox is a tome that a century ago was used to create the Worldwound. We have recaptured it, and our scholars study it. I have two pages of it here, though, which will allow you to close a small rift." She hands you two circular rings, inscribed with a number of different languages blended together in a strange mixture. I need you to travel to the Midnight Fane, a burrowed earthen burial shrine that now contains a portal linking Golarion with the Abyss. Then I need you to destroy the Nahyndrian Refinery that creates the crystals. Following that, I need you to close the rift there, and prevent the Midnight Alliance between the Worldwound and Nocticula. To do this you will need to go to the Abyssal realm of Nocticula, the Midnight Isles. Finally, once that is done, you need to find the source of the Nahyndrian crystals and cut the supply of them off completely."

She takes a deep breath, then says, "I am sure you have questions. Speak up now, because I cannot assist you a great deal once you pass into the Abyss."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Rosalyn bowed low when the Queen entered, a smile to the immortal Queen, ”Greetings again my Queen. I am pleased to see you once more. Especially here in Drezen under the protection of the Sword of Valour.” She steps to the side and listens carefully as the Queen speaks

At the end her eyes gleam with barely contained excitement. “point me to the fane your majesty. I shall see them destroyed and the crystals shattered. I shall give my life to the others here to keep them safe as they close these rifts.” She taps her sword as she speaks

Show

F LG Aasamir Warder (Zweihander Sentinel), Level 12, Init 10, HP 193/193, Speed 60 // 40
    AC 32, Touch 16, Flat-footed 29, CMD 35, Fort 14, Ref 12, Will 13, CMB +19/+19/+14, Base Attack Bonus 12 / 12 / 7
    Cold Iron Evil Outsider Bane Falchion +2 24/24/19 (24/21/18) (2d4+15 (26), 15 - 20 / x 3)

Condition
    +2 Will saves Vs Demons
    +3 saves Vs Fear
    Cold/Electricity/Acid 5
    Adamantine Mind: If pass Mind affecting save save Enemy make Will save vs Same DC or stunned 1 round

Spells

Path of War

Stance:

Maneuvers (Ready 8)

Mythic 13 / 13
    Surge +1d8
    Sudden Block: 1 MP = Tier to AC, "disadvantage" on attack, make melee counter attack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

My Queen I will endeavor to accomplish this task with my comrades here.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Bill salutes the Queen as she enters the room, and listens attentively to the tasks at hand. "A trip to the Abyss. It's about time we really took the fight to the demons, we've been too long on the defensive. We will not fail you."

14. - Top - End - #14

At the queen's appearance, Hiigara inclines his head in a show of respect. Like his companions, he could feel a flame growing within him, eager to take the fight to the enemy. Each battle fought here caused significant collateral damage; even just changing the site of the fighting would do some good. Once her words fade, Hiigara takes a half-step forward.

"The Midnight Fane. What is known about this location, and any who guard the burial shrine?"
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15

Imp

Fouchland Richards noticeably bristles at the mention of the Nahydrian Crystals. The flaming halo surrounding his head shifts from a soft golden orange hue to a more harsh and vibrant pinkish red. The flames crackle and lick with greater intensity, almost as if they themselves felt indignant rage.

However, as quickly as it comes, the sour mood leaves. Fouchland Richard takes a deep inhale, and then exhales, reclaiming his composure before addressing his liege.

"My Queen, I will take personal responsibility to see to the destruction of this refinery, and will seal the rift there. I... we... will purify these lands of this demonic scourge, and bring the Dawn to the Midnight Isles!"

With that, he will accept the two rings given and begin analyzing them with the power of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic. He will decipher what he can, before passing them over to the party archmage.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Queen smiles warmly at the party members' enthusiasm for their task. "There are none I would choose to perform these deeds more than those here now. I sincerely hope that you do not lose your lives in pursuit of this mission, but if any are lost, you will be avenged, and you will be giving your life for the betterment of others, which is the most one can ask for," she says.

"The Midnight Fane is located under a low, now quite barren hill near what was once the headwaters of the Rolling River, approximately 240 miles west southwest of Drezen. It was once a small shrine to the Empyreal Lord Pulura, the Shimmering Maiden. But now over half the structure is gone, absorbed by the rift between the Material Plane and the Abyss. Unfortunately, to our great loss, my scholars and mages have learned that it is dangerous trying to travel to the Fane by magic, perhaps even impossible. You will have to make your way there by other means, or at least, you should avoid trying to teleport directly to the Fane itself."

The pages of the book, the circlets you have been given, seem to describe a ritual for closing rifts between planes, but also that the ritual is incomplete. The magic
    infusing these two plates, combined with a significant source of magical power such as that now wielded by the party, should be enough to shut down a smaller rift.

17. - Top - End - #17

Imp

"There are other means of transport." Fouchland Richards says. He contemplates for a short while before he asks, "Could we perhaps fly there? Or rather, Walk the Winds, in order to get there?" It should take a relatively short time if we can teleport to Drezen at least..." Fouchland trails off.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Rosalyn looks to the others, "I am a simple soul. I fight the worldwound head on, and I do not have the magical techniques many of you gathered here do. Do any of you have the sorcerous means to transports us to near the Fane? Then we can make the last few miles on foot. After a few Crusades I am well used to a hard march." She adds the last with a smile, suspecting that none of the others likely served as a common infantry trooper in the Crusades.
    "Your Majesty, would any of your mages have the means to magically send us to near the Fane if none of us gathered here have the means?"

At the discs she glances at them, she knows many languages and probably can pick out some of the words but is happy to leave that to the others. She knows her place is a shield and sword to the party to allow them to do whatever rituals are necessary.

Show

Condition
    +2 Will saves Vs Demons
    +3 saves Vs Fear
    Cold/Electricity/Acid 5

Spells

Path of War

Stance:

Maneuvers (Ready 8)

Mythic 13 / 13
    Surge +1d8

Last edited by DrK; 2023-03-27 at 07:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Bill just nods "I can try to use teleportation to take us closer, though as stated I cannot take us directly there. I also cannot guarantee precise travel, so in summation we should be prepared to hike at least part of the way, or use more standard travel magic. Still, I should be able to save us over half the distance."

20. - Top - End - #20

Hiigara's eyes narrow slightly at the queen's mention of 'you will be giving your life for the betterment of others'. If the others survive and if the mission is a success. Otherwise we're just another body on the ground, to be flattened by the boots of our enemies, if not worse. With the enemy already claiming so much, this was not the time for martyrs. There simply wasn't time to inspire the populous through bardic songs of great deeds done. No. The time was now, and the duty was theirs. Do it once, and do it right.

"'To our great loss'.. Is that to mean a group already attempted travel by magic?"
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Well Bill if you can get us close without issues, walking or flying in from that point would be faster than walking or flying from here.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"That seems like the best plan then. I will have to give it a little thought after we are done here to see what the best place to target is."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Queen's face darkens, as a look of sorrow passes across it. "Yes, we tried sending a small group of mages there by magic to close the portal. They were all lost, and magical means detected that they had all died. It is remotely possible that they were killed immediately upon a successful arrival. But my scholars think it more likely that the transit themselves killed them," she says quietly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Just how close were they attempting to get to the portal? was any divination given to the area before travel?
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-04-01 at 07:58 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"It does make some sense that teleportation near a rift is a bad idea. Teleportation is a form of dimensional travel after all, and who knows what huge holes in the planes will do to it."

26. - Top - End - #26

"There will be time to mourn, but that time is not now." Hiigara locks his gaze onto the queen. "The men and women who serve you knew what was being asked of them, but their lives were spent for little gain. Whatever tools they were given to close the portal we can hope were lost in the same magic that took their lives, or they may have fallen into our enemy's hands. At best, they are likely aware of our intention and may conclude a secondary group will attempt what the first could not. That puts us at greater risk, though it matters not. You have seen our eagerness to beat back the rising darkness." The Inquisitor reaches into a pocket and withdraws a number of coins, holding them out for the queen. "Give these to the families of the mages who were lost. Tell them their bravery will not go unnoticed, be it in this life or the next."

Hiigara's eyes continue to hold the queen's. "If there is anything within your power that may yet assist our group, I ask it be provided to us. Now is not the time for half measures."

Show
    Hiigara gives the queen an Obal bearing Erastil's holy symbol for each of the mages lost.

Diplomacy - (1d20+22)[35]
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #27

Imp

Fouchland Richards immediately begins the casting of Commune, in order to ascertain a safe distance from which they can teleport to. His Legendary Shield will aid him in the casting, by allowing him to cast Blood Money, taking 2 STR damage in order to pay for Commune's 500 gp material component.

The questions he will ask are the following:

Is teleportation directly to the Midnight Fane possible without risk of death?
    If we choose to teleport directly to the Midnight Fane, will there be enemies waiting for us there?

Is teleportation directly to Drezen possible without risk of death?
    If we choose to teleport directly to Drezen, will there be enemies waiting for us there?

Is there a distance between Drezen and the Midnight Fane that would allow for direct teleportation without risk of death?

Is that distance </= 120 miles?
    If we teleport 120 miles away from the Midnight Fane, will there be enemies waiting for us there?
    Is that distance </= 60 miles?
    If we teleport 60 miles away from the Midnight Fane, will there be enemies waiting for us there?
    Is that distance </= 30 miles?
    If we teleport 30 miles away from the Midnight Fane, will there be enemies waiting for us there?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I am not sure exactly how close the mages were attempting to get. I think they were trying to get directly to it, but as magic is uncertain, the distance they went towards it is unknown. They did perform divinations, which I believe worked, but didn't show much," the Queen says.

She takes the coins and nods gravely. "The families will be well compensated, but your gift I will take, as it would be an insult to refuse your largesse. There is little more that I can provide that may assist you, I fear."

The Commune spell has the following results, in order:
    No.
    Yes.
    Yes. (You are in Citadel Drezen right now, but it will answer the questions as you ask them)
    No.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    No.

29. - Top - End - #29

Imp

The illustrious and overwhelming light from Fouchland Richard's communion with the Dawnflower begins to fade, the flame of his holy halo dims a bit before flaring back up to it's usual color and hue. Fouchland Richards is visibly weakened from the ordeal, and will stumble slightly when returning to his feet on wobbly knees. Richards steadies himself, before addressing the team.

"Indeed, through the light of Sarenrae's sun, I was able to catch glimpses of revalation as to the teleportation quandary. Teleportation directly into Midnight Fane is indeed impossible without risk of death. Furthermore, we can expect enemies to be waiting there."

Richards takes a breath before continuing. "However, teleportation between there and here is not impossible. Through a series of questions, I've ascertained that teleportation 30 miles away from the Midnight Fane should be more than possible without risk of death. Furthermore, we can teleport there without running into enemies, so long as this vision holds."

Having completed his summation of the reconnaissance commune, Fouchland Richards turns to the resident Archmage. "With that, Benjamin, I leave it to you. I will cast Wind Walk on all of us now, and we will teleport on your mark. "
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2023-04-06 at 11:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Rosalyn had watched the communion with some envy. Although blessed (or cursed) with her long life she did not have the mastery over the mystical many of her comrades had. At mention of the wind walking she bowed her head, eager to repeat previous sallies as a cloud, a mode of transport she enjoyed, certainly one preferred to arcane hopping about.

She stands ready, soft light emanating from her eyes and face. ”I stand ready” is all she has to say.
    Show

Condition
    +2 Will saves Vs Demons
    +3 saves Vs Fear
    Cold/Electricity/Acid 5

Spells

Path of War

Stance:

Maneuvers (Ready 8)

Mythic 13 / 13
    Surge +1d8