New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Evil Characters Perform Evil Acts For Good Reasons

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I post in D&D 3.5 subforum. So anyway I just thought something interesting. A group of evil characters allies to murder hateful bigots.

Here's the team:

Lawful Evil Female Human Sorceror
    Lawful Evil Female Human Paladin Of Tyranny
    Neutral Evil Male Human Fighter
    Neutral Evil Male Human Death Knight
    Chaotic Evil Male Human Rogue
    Chaotic Evil Male Human Barbarian

So anyway the bigots hate everyone and everything. So the team managed to approach the bigots doing all sorts of evil acts possible such as torturing them for information then killing them and killing them afterward. However, the team managed to kill the bigots and they consider them anti-heroes. So what does anyone think about it? I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Evil Characters Perform Evil Acts For Good Reasons

Well, sounds like some edgy teenager group and their campaign setup.

Otherwise nothing outside of the ordinary. What is there to discuss ?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So anyway the bigots hate everyone and everything.
    It seems a little weird to have a story using a group of villain protagonists with in-depth character motivations, and have their enemies be one-dimensional "bigots".

I assume there would be more to the story of each antagonist? Perhaps they're just as evil as the "anti-heroes" in their own ways? Or worse, because they're all rich and powerful, and the protagonists are like serial killer Robin Hoods?

Or will it be more like a parody of popular anti-hero stories by having the protagonists actually be WAY worse than the people they're murdering "for good reasons"? Then the real story becomes about how these people are so out of touch with basic morality that they just take everything to extremes like killing somebody for getting their fast food order wrong? And then playing Olympic level mental gymnastics to try to justify their actions? That could be a fun dark comedy, maybe.

EDIT: For some reason, I thought this was about a story being written rather than a possible D&D adventure, but I'll leave what I wrote in case there's still some relevance.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2023-03-26 at 06:24 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sounds like something a group of evil characters would do to take care of other evil characters that got in their way, or simply because they could get away with it and be considered less 'evil' than they would for just doing it the normal way. Just a means in which to justify their evil actions to feel less evil for doing them. Nothing that would survive actual ethical or moral scrutiny with any amount of validity.

I'm sure it'll be fun for those who want to experience such a story without digging into the specifics.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Note: Despot - LE variant of Paladin class from Dragon #312 - is, actually, not so much "pro-Evil" as "anti-Chaos", thus - perfectly capable to do even Good acts (as long as they aren't Chaotic Good acts, and help to "expand and grow her domain" in some way, or done in order to "protect and defend her subjects and allies from harm from other forces.")
    The problem with it: "She would never knowingly associate with chaotic characters", and two of listed party are CE (and, while text says "knowingly" - it may be hard to claim ignorance, because Despot - instead the Paladin's usual Detect Evil - get Detect Chaos...)
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2023-03-26 at 02:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I mean, not surprising, it's not like evil characters get along with each-other just because they're both evil. Nor even do good characters, although in that case they're more likely to argue or simply part ways rather than going lethal.

Would it change their alignment? Not IMO. Like maybe if they had a "we're bad people, but not THAT bad - we have to stop them" moment and went after the other evil group at significant risk to themselves, it could shift them toward neutral. But if it's just "these jerks suck, let's kill 'em" or "nice unholy sword you've got there, but it'd look better in MY hands" then that's just a normal day in the life of an evil party.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    It seems a little weird to have a story using a group of villain protagonists with in-depth character motivations, and have their enemies be one-dimensional "bigots".

I assume there would be more to the story of each antagonist? Perhaps they're just as evil as the "anti-heroes" in their own ways? Or worse, because they're all rich and powerful, and the protagonists are like serial killer Robin Hoods?

Or will it be more like a parody of popular anti-hero stories by having the protagonists actually be WAY worse than the people they're murdering "for good reasons"? Then the real story becomes about how these people are so out of touch with basic morality that they just take everything to extremes like killing somebody for getting their fast food order wrong? And then playing Olympic level mental gymnastics to try to justify their actions? That could be a fun dark comedy, maybe.

EDIT: For some reason, I thought this was about a story being written rather than a possible D&D adventure, but I'll leave what I wrote in case there's still some relevance.
    It's more like a parody for everything that you said.

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    I mean, not surprising, it's not like evil characters get along with each-other just because they're both evil. Nor even do good characters, although in that case they're more likely to argue or simply part ways rather than going lethal.

Would it change their alignment? Not IMO. Like maybe if they had a "we're bad people, but not THAT bad - we have to stop them" moment and went after the other evil group at significant risk to themselves, it could shift them toward neutral. But if it's just "these jerks suck, let's kill 'em" or "nice unholy sword you've got there, but it'd look better in MY hands" then that's just a normal day in the life of an evil party.
    Well the team is petty evil, not super evil. Of course, they have their moments of arguments but nothing serious and major.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It's more like a parody for everything that you said.

Well the team is petty evil, not super evil. Of course, they have their moments of arguments but nothing serious and major.
    Murder is not petty evil.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    TBF, based on many published adventures which are claimed to be valid for good-aligned characters, I have assume that murdering evil people is considered "neutral" in D&D.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

True. You're not wrong though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

TBF, based on many published adventures which are claimed to be valid for good-aligned characters, I have assume that murdering evil people is considered "neutral" in D&D.
    You may be conflating killing and murder, they arent the same thing.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You may be conflating killing and murder, they arent the same thing.
    For some people, terms that are loosely related often become identical in meaning when the situation is useful to them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    For some people, terms that are loosely related often become identical in meaning when the situation is useful to them.
    The recipe for political slogans: take a word or collection of words with high emotional value and start slathering it on and in topics where it has no real place to scrounge up people that think you are meaning something other than what is the actual meaning so you get a large group of people behind the slogan which gives a large amount of political power, but everyone is hardly united in the actual meaning of it. This allows the people at the top of the "party" to influence politics the way they want because the meaning is so convoluted they can't be wrong and because most people don't get what they want they keep supporting the "party" because there's always promises to continue on the path of the nebulous consensus ideal that simply doesn't actually exist.

Run on sentences. The greatest political weapon for controlling the flow of a conversation.
    Last edited by Darg; 2023-03-27 at 12:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    Meanwhile, some people wait for any ambiguous wording that will allow them to accuse others of malfeasance and feel superior.

But actually, I did mean murder. Having a reason to kill someone doesn't generally make it "not murder" - most murders are for a reason, sometimes an understandable one, like "he screwed me over in a crooked deal, causing me to lose my home" - it still counts as murder.

Self defense? Not really applicable when you're the one who entered their property with weapons out (and sometimes shot first, even). Defense of others? In some modules yes, but "defense of unspecified others at some point in the future, because the people I killed were definitely going to be harming people at some point" is not a defense against murder charges. Punishment for their past crimes? Maybe if you have some kind of meaningful status as an executioner? Which is not typically the case. War? Very seldom is there any kind of declaration of war, and usually neither the PCs or their foes can really be called soldiers for any nation.

"Well you can't use modern definitions of murder, D&D society is very different ..." - this usually just leads to a circular definition. The stuff that adventurers do isn't "murder", because we've defined murder as "but not the stuff adventurers do". What's the point of that, really?
    Last edited by icefractal; 2023-03-27 at 04:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Meanwhile, some people wait for any ambiguous wording that will allow them to accuse others of malfeasance and feel superior.
    There was certainly an accusation within my statement, but it was not pointed at you (or the person I quoted). It was towards the kind of people I mentioned. If the shoe fits, however, feel free to lace it up. If there is any 'feeling superior' to be had, it is simply one of being on stable definitional footing. Emotionally, I am neutral on the matter. I just don't want to see this issue devolve into the typical ethical nonsense regarding alignment in the game system....

"Well you can't use modern definitions of murder, D&D society is very different ..." - this usually just leads to a circular definition. The stuff that adventurers do isn't "murder", because we've defined murder as "but not the stuff adventurers do". What's the point of that, really?
    ...Yeah.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2023-03-27 at 04:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I suppose I was misled by it being in response to a post that was quoting me. My mistake.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I suppose I was misled by it being in response to a post that was quoting me. My mistake.
    No worries. Our methods of communication are imperfect at best, especially when limited solely to the written medium.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Self defense? Not really applicable when you're the one who entered their property with weapons out (and sometimes shot first, even). Defense of others? In some modules yes, but "defense of unspecified others at some point in the future, because the people I killed were definitely going to be harming people at some point" is not a defense against murder charges. Punishment for their past crimes? Maybe if you have some kind of meaningful status as an executioner? Which is not typically the case. War? Very seldom is there any kind of declaration of war, and usually neither the PCs or their foes can really be called soldiers for any nation.
    I dunno which modules or players you play with, but most of my experiences if the players are going into an enemy’s home and killing them before talking, its usually in retaliation to something the enemy has already done. Otherwise, usually, it will be investigate first, negotiate second, kill as a last resort. The kobolds and goblins in sunless citadel are a perfect example of this.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Evil Characters Perform Evil Acts For Good Reasons
    Sounds like Devils as they are.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

When i am using the term murder in a pseudo-medieval fantasy RPG, i generally take a more medieval meaning.

And that mostly exludes stuff adventurers do. There is a lot more justified and legal killing possible whithout a state monopoly on violence. And even then, there is enough destinction to seperate that from murder.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

But actually, I did mean murder. Having a reason to kill someone doesn't generally make it "not murder" - most murders are for a reason, sometimes an understandable one, like "he screwed me over in a crooked deal, causing me to lose my home" - it still counts as murder.

Sure, when Garl Glittergold collapses a cavern system killing untold kobold noncombatants, its a prank, but when I do it, its genocide for some reason. It obviously doesn't shake a Lawful Good alignment, anyway.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Evil people can do good things.
    That doesn't make them "Good"

Especially if their motives were not noble.

Unless they are ACTIVELY trying to repent through their actions, I don't see what there is to discuss further.

A single act of good does not make up for a lifetime of evil deeds.