New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default I'm interested in running Crimson Throne, but I have bad ADHD. Any tips?

I'm interested in running Crimson Throne, but I have bad ADHD. Any tips?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: I'm interested in running Crimson Throne, but I have bad ADHD. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I'm interested in running Crimson Throne, but I have bad ADHD. Any tips?
    What would you feel your ADHD would do in terms of preventing you from running this game?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I'm interested in running Crimson Throne, but I have bad ADHD. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    What would you feel your ADHD would do in terms of preventing you from running this game?
    I have severe ADHD and it has never once 'interfered' with my ability to DM, quit the contrary for some odd reason is has enabled me to do better, as it seems my ADHD likes RPGs. I think it has to do with the whole 'your job as a DM is never done' combined with the "i can never finish anything ADHD" and somehow my ADHD enjoys the fact that there is a compatibility between the two.

I can give you generic everyday DMing advice, though.

1) read through the entire adventure before you play.
    1a) take notes ( better to have too many than not enough) of certain things that catch your eye about the adventure that you feel you will need to know information about at a different point of the adventure.
    2) takes notes during the adventure (again more is better than not enough) on things that come up during game play that make things later on different or just have a strange interaction
    3)be able to change as players tend to do very odd things that make absolutely no logical sense
    4)focus on fun, do not let the rules getting the way of you and the player's enjoyment of the game
    5) during game play know when to call for an ability check and when to just say the task succeeds or fails without a roll.
    6)give up on being perfect. Nobody is and you will not be the exception.
    7) adjust the game to better suits your player's playstyle, this will require tuning periodically throughout the adventure
    8) remember your job is to be a referee of sorts, this is a DM vs Player game, thought some think that it is.
    9) before the game session, read over your notes and read the part of the adventure for that session

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Having time to plan sessions and having focus to actually read the books.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The whole point of running a module is not needing to plan sessions, because the book has done all that for you.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Option 1) Try and read the material first. Ideally, you should read it twice and take notes on what you want to change to best suit yourself and your group. It could be tying it into previous games, changing enemy stats, and so forth. The material tells you the how and why everything happens and what motivates the characters. It gives you enough information to let you figure out what to do if the players try to do things not in the module (they will come up with things to do that are not in the modules)

If your ADHD prevents you from reading the material, I have an alternate solution for you:

Option 2) Create your own setting. I've had good success with a system called Microscope, run that for session zero (you'll probably want to spend at least three hours on this). It's a pretty easy system to learn, Microscope is eighty pages but you could condense this down to five tightly-spaced pages of writing and rules. While it's good for one person (you) to learn the system in advance, you can teach everyone else what to do at session zero, and they will get the hang of it pretty quickly. Microscope lets you work with your players to create a setting timeline, and you all mix up ideas together to create concepts and storylines you're all interested in. From that, you should have enough setting information to come up with your own adventures for your players and only have to do prep work in terms of writing adventure outlines and creating appropriate encountrers

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Option 2) Create your own setting. I've had good success with a system called Microscope, run that for session zero (you'll probably want to spend at least three hours on this). It's a pretty easy system to learn, Microscope is eighty pages but you could condense this down to five tightly-spaced pages of writing and rules. While it's good for one person (you) to learn the system in advance, you can teach everyone else what to do at session zero, and they will get the hang of it pretty quickly. Microscope lets you work with your players to create a setting timeline, and you all mix up ideas together to create concepts and storylines you're all interested in. From that, you should have enough setting information to come up with your own adventures for your players and only have to do prep work in terms of writing adventure outlines and creating appropriate encountrers
    Microscope is quite fun, and using it to make a campaign setting has worked well for me in the past. It also helps get the players to be both familiar with and invested in the setting, since they had a hand in making it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

having focus to actually read the books.
    One of my best friends has severe ADHD and he finds audiobooks more accessible than written ones, it might be worth a try. There's some pretty good text-to-speech software out there for books which don't come in audiobook format.

Alternatively, just start reading the books and see if they grab you. If you're anything like the people with ADHD I know, it'll either grab you and you'll hyperfocus on it, or it won't and you'll soon realise it's not going to happen.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    One of my best friends has severe ADHD and he finds audiobooks more accessible than written ones, it might be worth a try. There's some pretty good text-to-speech software out there for books which don't come in audiobook format.

Alternatively, just start reading the books and see if they grab you. If you're anything like the people with ADHD I know, it'll either grab you and you'll hyperfocus on it, or it won't and you'll soon realise it's not going to happen.
    I think text to speech may help, especially if i'm following along reading too, like doing subtitles on a youtube video

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I think text to speech may help, especially if i'm following along reading too, like doing subtitles on a youtube video
    Yes, or making notes, or even just looking at the pictures

My friend said text-to-speech has helped him a lot, if you can't find a good one let me know and I'll ask him what he uses.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I ran this as a first time dm. I suffer from anxiety, depression and ptsd. I skimmed ahead and adlibed the rest.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

My point is if I can get over crippling anxiety and lacknof focus you can too! I believe in you!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyxur View Post
    My point is if I can get over crippling anxiety and lacknof focus you can too! I believe in you!
    Thank you for the vote of confidence.