New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Weapon profiles... help! Need a cooler one, maybe

Hey! So my players are level 10 and are fighting the Prince of Frost in the feywild. I couldn't find a sword to reskin as his, so i made one, basing its abilities off of his monster profile I'm using. Then i found a couple other weapons to have as other loot after the battle. Now I'm afraid my other weapons are cooler than the Prince of Frost's sword. How should i change it to be more awesome? Or am i crazy and it's actually good as is?

PoF Sword -
    Longsword, weapon, legendary (requires attunement)
    Martial, melee weapon
    2lb. 1d8 slashing - versatile (1d10)
    Feycrafted: This weapon is so light that it gains the finesse property
    Biter Cold: When the wielder of this weapon draws or swings it, they can choose to extinguish all non-magical flames within 30 feet.
    This is a magical longsword that grants a +3 to hit and damage rolls.
    On a hit, deal an additional 2d8 cold damage.
    On a critical hit, the opponent is covered in frost crystals that slows them down and they can only use an action or a bonus action on their next turn
    As a reaction when you are hit by a melee attack, you can make a melee attack with this sword with advantage against the attacker. You can't use this property again until you finish a short or long rest.
    Cursed: The person attuned to this item absorbs a trait from the Prince of Frost’s personality. Roll a d8.
    1-2: Love is foolish, and those who succumb to sentiment are worthy of nothing but disdain.
    3-4: I resent the happiness of lovers, and will do everything I can to spoil that happiness.
    5-6: Love and joy are frivolous. I only have time for my goals and ambitions, and I expect the same out of others.
    7-8: Displays of affection disgust me, and if I see anyone openly display affection for another I lose respect for them.

Here's the other weapons them get as loot:

Warhammer of Reaction
    Weapon (warhammer), very rare (requires attunement)
    Martial weapon, melee weapon
    3 lb. 1d8 slashing - versatile (1d10)
    You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. Additionally, once on each of your turns, you can use one of the following properties if you're holding the sword:
    Immediately after you use the Attack action to attack with the sword, you can enable one creature within 60 feet of you to use its reaction to make one weapon attack.
    Immediately after you take the Dash action, you can enable one creature within 60 feet of you to use its reaction to move up to its speed.
    Immediately after you take the Dodge action, you can enable one creature within 60 feet of you to use its reaction to gain the benefits of the Dodge action.

Devlin’s Staff of Striking
    Staff, weapon, very rare (requires attunement)
    Simple weapon, melee weapon
    4 lb. 1d6 bludgeoning - versatile (1d8)
    This staff can be wielded as a magic quarterstaff that grants a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it.
    The staff has 10 charges. When you hit with a melee attack using it, you can expend up to 3 of its charges. For each charge you expend, the target takes an extra 1d6 force damage. The staff regains 1d6 + 4 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the staff becomes a nonmagical quarterstaff.
    Curse: If you attune to this staff, you transform into a goat-humanoid hybrid over the course of 3 days. Tieflings are immune to this curse. Throughout the first day, shaggy fur begins to grow all over your body. After 24 hours, your eyes become goat-like, and stumpy horns sprout from your brow. On the last day, your fingers and toes meld into double digits, and the horns grow to full length. This transformation doesn't prevent you from wielding weapons or casting spells. Remove curse, greater restoration, or any other effect that ends a curse restores your original appearance, but only a wish spell can rid the staff of its power to transform those who attune to it.

Devotee’s Censor
    Weapon (flail), rare (requires attunement by a cleric or paladin)
    Martial weapon, melee weapon
    2 lb. 1d8 bludgeoning
    You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
    The rounded head of this flail is perforated with tiny holes, arranged in symbols and patterns. The flail counts as a holy symbol for you. When you hit with an attack using this magic flail, the target takes an extra 1d8 radiant damage.
    As a bonus action, you can speak the command word to cause the flail to emanate a thin cloud of incense out to 10 feet for 1 minute. At the start of each of your turns, you and any other creatures in the incense each regain 1d4 hit points. This property can't be used again until the next dawn.
    Last edited by Monstrrr; 2023-03-31 at 12:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Weapon profiles... help! Need a cooler one, maybe

I wouldn't worry about making it better. The crit and reaction are cool, and extinguishing flames is a meat and thematic ability. It's significantly better than the other 3 (2d8 extra damage is no joke, on top of being +3). The hammer is a close contender, if you have someone that would strongly benefit from a free attack. If anything, I would make the extra damage lower and give multiple uses of the reaction.