New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: When Do Limited Options Become Stifling?

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    One limited option that's pretty stifling is game systems. Every couple years I'll run a 9-12 month campaign in a different system. But for the last 20 years as a player I haven't gotten to do anything but yet another damn version of D&D. Nobody around this town can get out of the rut of running yet another damn generic kitchen sink fantasy knockoff D&D game to save yet another world of generic mud farmers and generic snotty nobles from yet another generic world ending threat, except me.

That's stifling.
    This, lots and lots of this.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    One limited option that's pretty stifling is game systems. Every couple years I'll run a 9-12 month campaign in a different system. But for the last 20 years as a player I haven't gotten to do anything but yet another damn version of D&D. Nobody around this town can get out of the rut of running yet another damn generic kitchen sink fantasy knockoff D&D game to save yet another world of generic mud farmers and generic snotty nobles from yet another generic world ending threat, except me.

That's stifling.
    Preach it brother!

I am so excited I got one of my fellow DMs to run PbtA system after I am done with L5R.

I could not be happier!
    *This Space Available*

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

I *almost* got pulled into a long running Traveller game. Almost. Then I realized I really didn't have time for another regular game.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

I think it depends more on the choices available than the number of available choices. You could kick me down to a Feat-less, Human Totem Barbarians with the Outlander background only game in 5e and I'd still be interested because the choices between totems at each subclass level would matter even more than it normally does. But if everyone had to play the same subclass of Cleric that would be a lot less interesting to me, even if I could choose any race and background I wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Is that because of impact of the choice on variation? (Given you're referencing D&D 5e, where subclass usually means a bigger deal than race of background for features variation.)