AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC11
    Invulnerable: Fire, poison
    Resist: Cold, Nonmagical
    Invisibility, Devil's Sight
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider
    Conditions: gone

During the journey, Nija does her best to get to know Polly better. She tells her her story and how she found Truth. She asks a lot of questions about Polly's childhood, how she learned alchemy, and if given the chance, asks about the alchemy itself.

Truth spends the journey shepherding Caroline, trying to keep her from wandering off. In the end, she lets the girl run ahead to her family. When they reach the Blacks, she first tries to make sure they are not afraid of the Hag we brought with us.

"Mr. and Mrs. Black, we would love to stay for dinner. This is our friend Polly. She was instrumental in saving your daughter."

At dinner, she tells the whole story, about the giant, the fall of Everbright, the slain paladin, the helpful hag, the cursed farm houses, and the final battle against the demon.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    Alivast
    Abacus, gnome who hired us
    Saw contract with 'Kannazt' in the 'Kipraa,' for mining rights in the north
    Wolf's Den, nearest and most recent frontier town
    Payton Black, friend of Abacus, sent letter that says "danger...Black" (not written by a man)
    Everbright, at base of mountain (report on monster of Everbright)
    Dragon's Take, protects Alivast from goblins of Briar's Glen forest - all killed by devil
    Collette, Black's wife
    Caroline, Black's daughter
    Captain Byrne, Everbright
    Rey, decapitated at Everbright
    Naughton (left) and Walsh, soldiers with us
    Polly, hag that liked Rey
    Ronfault, storm giant missing half his body
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-08-22 at 04:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Alivast [IC]

Agil
    Aasimar Beastmaster Ranger | Aina
    AC: 18 HP: 28/28 | AC: 15 HP: 20/20
    PP: 18 PIv: 14 PIs: 16 | PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 14
    Conditions: -- | --
    Concentrating: --|

Agil keeps much of his silence during the dinner, only interjecting with Truth's story to fill in an occasional blank. His own storytelling capability was a bit...sterile for such discussions. He's quietly glad that Polly accompanied them though. They weren't able to save Rey, but perhaps they could help her work live on, despite that.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Adventures in Alivast [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    [l
    During the journey, Nija does her best to get to know Polly better. She tells her her story and how she found Truth. She asks a lot of questions about Polly's childhood, how she learned alchemy, and if given the chance, asks about the alchemy itself.
    "Well, I spent the earliest part of my childhood thinking I was a human. My best friend growing up, she… she was learning how to read. She taught me as well. It wasn’t until after my first blood that I began hearing the call, a cackle in the wind, a nightmare from the mountains. The changes began. Sharp teeth that resisted cleaning. A hunch in my back, long claws that took an hour to cut through. I hid them, as much as I could, but it was never going to last. My parents… or the people I thought were my parents, realized what had happened and I had nowhere to go but to follow the Hag’s Call and return to my true mother. She taught me the ways of Alchemy… then she died and I ran away. I came here to be far away from people."

"Yes, nearly all of Everbright’s population came through here…" Payton notes.
    "Polly," Colette says politely, "You haven’t touched your boar. Would you like me to cook it more for you?"
    "Oh, no thank you, Missus Black. I haven’t eaten meat since my mother died and stopped force-feeding me live baby mountain goats."
    "I… can see how that would put you off of meat."

The Blacks listen in on the story, with Caroline telling about the stories Ronnie would tell her in the night.
    "I don’t think I’ll ever see him again," she says sadly.
    Colette holds her daughter and whispers, "Ronnie’s in the sky now, my little fox. Every time you hear the thunder… that’s him."
    Caroline’s eyes well up in tears as she folds herself into her mother’s embrace.

"I can never repay you for what you’ve done," Payton tells you, out by the fire after dinner.
    "We don’t have much, here in Wolf’s Den, though if you see anything you might want, it’s yours. I have taken the liberty of writing a letter to my friend Abacus. If she reads it, I have every expectation she will reward you… perhaps not as much as I would want her to, she’s a bit of a miser."
    He presses a letter into your hands.
    "You owe me nothing, but I have one last request of you. If you would be so willing… say nothing of the giants or their treasures out in the forest. I know it may be against my job as a frontiersman, but…" he looks about at the woods.
    "I would very much like the wild places to remain that way for little while longer. I love Abacus, but if she smells treasure… these forests will be nothing but paved roads and tilled fields before you know it."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Agil

He wouldn't deny the frontier their precious goods, not when they need them more than he does, but at the request not to inform Abacus he can't help but frown. "With danger like this, wouldn't you want the safety that paved roads and a treasure rush might offer? If you capitalised on it yourself, you and your family could set yourselves in comfort for life." The question is posed with curiosity, rather than any judgment or criticism. He's no money-grubber, but he does understand wanting the best for a family. More than that, he was being asked to lie - or at least conceal the truth - from his employer, something which goes against his principles.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

"We are set up for life," Payton assures you. "By the wilderness, by the forests, by the game and bounty of nature that came before us. Someday I fear there will not be many places like this... And you said the Giant died, yes? Its city was destroyed?" Payton recalls.
    "I do not think we will face another enemy like that."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    AC: 17 HP: 24/24
    Spell Slots, 2nd: 2 / 2 SR
    Healing Light: 4 / 4 LR
    Hellish Rebuke: 1 /1 LR
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 11
    Conditions: none
    Concentration: none
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC11
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Truth enjoys the dinner, eating the roast boar, and even Polly's serving if no one else wants it. Nija eats some too, but she's so small it doesn't seem like much.

Truth is fine keeping some of the story from Abacus.

"Too many people of Everbright saw the Giant for us to keep it from Abacus. We will have to tell of the giant, the deal with the devil, and the dead king. I saw no treasure there anyway, so I'm not sure we need to even keep anything from Abacus."

Show

Show
    Alivast
    Payton Black, friend of Abacus, sent letter that says "danger...Black" (not written by a man)
    Dragon's Take, protects Alivast from goblins of Briar's Glen forest - all killed by devil
    Collette, Black's wife
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-08-29 at 03:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Agil

"Had it not been for Abacus' request your daughter would be lost to you." Agil adds to Truth's words. "We can convey your request and your thoughts, but she deserves to know the truth of what went on, just as much as you do."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Payton Black nods. "Then go with my blessing." He certainly sounds disappointed, but he never had any way of stopping you, and never had any intention of dangling any form of leverage over your heads.

Before your departure the next morning, Caroline brings you a rudely-drawn picture of Agil, Truth, Aina and Nija with herself petting the dog. "Thank you" is written on the back, the "Y" is backwards though.

Caroline returned and any supplies you might need refreshed at Wolf's Den, the walls and farms surrounding Alivast are two days' journey away. As they come into view, Polly pauses.
    "Do you think I should... wait here?"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC11
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Truth isn't sure how to address Polly's concern. Yes, the people of Alivast can be hostile to strangers, and especially to strange creatures with bad reputations, but Polly might be better off going into the city with us than risking staying out here by herself. She decides to defend the hag.

"Nonsense, Polly. You are welcome to come with us. You know how people will react better than we do, but I think we can vouch for you."

Show

Show
    Alivast
    Collette, Black's wife

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Hesitantly, Polly follows after you, looking ever more nervous as people stare at her, move out of her way, and pull their children into their arms at her passing by in the tent district. It takes some convincing to get her in, but showing your contract with Abacus eventually gets you seated back in front of her, within reach of the gnome's bowl of hard candies.

"I see you met expectations," Abacus says as she reads over Payton's letter. She's scarcely glanced at Polly since your arrival. "Saved a life in the process. The death of Rey was... a tragedy. One that will not be repeated. I can tell from these events that our border towns are not nearly so well-defended as I once believed... though to outfit a greater military presence our northern efforts to garner more metal will need to succeed." She shakes her head.
    "It hardly matters. You have both done well." She places a small pouch on the table. "Fifteen gold coins apiece as promised... and I wonder what more you might desire? Simply more money? Or perhaps something a bit more... special? I shall endeavor to ensure you are paid properly for the rescue of my friend's daughter."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Agil

"This event has proven that our own capacity is limited." Agil reflects bluntly. "Had the giant not been convinced to turn against the devil, we would have had little chance - likewise without Polly's potion I fear I could have been lost entirely." The lightning blast had been significant. His clothes still bore some of the burns.
    "Therefore if there is an offer on the table, I would take it in the form of either additional magical items, or that of training with an experienced instructor." He pauses for a moment. "And another job, if there is one. Experience is a fine tutor."

Show

Apologies for delay, I have been up a mountain. No giants on this one though.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC11
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Nija stays invisible, again looking around the room to see if she can find out anything useful. Truth takes her 15 gold pieces and agrees with Agil's assessment.

"If you have any equipment or training that could help us, we would appreciate it. We'd also like to find a safe, quiet place for Polly to live. Unless she's interested in adventuring with us and saving the world?"

She poses the last part as a question directly to Polly.

Show
    Nija Investigation (1d20)[15]

Show
    Alivast
    Collette, Black's wife

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

"I can procure either one, but they will take time to acquire," Abacus says of magic items and trainers.
    "Remain in the city for a time and, if you truly desire another mission, I shall deliver you your payment along with it." She looks to Polly.
    "Agil mentioned you are a brewer?"
    "Oh. Um... yes, I... I'm alright."
    "I can find a place for you, I'm sure, if you don't wish to travel with Agil and Truth."
    "I've been looking for a place where I can just stay and be at peace since... since I first heard the call of my brood. I truly do not want to throw myself into danger again and again. If it's alright with you... I'd like to have a home."
    "It's yours. Details to be discussed." Abacus sat forward and went through a few papers, snatching up a few contracts that Nija was in the middle of reading through and skimming down them.

"I do need someone to head north. Do the two of you know much about dragons?"

Spoiler: Levels
    Show
    Levels everywhere!
    By which I mean you both get ONE.
    Thank you for playing through this short adventure. There IS another chapter but now is the time to let me know if you want to end it here. Probably I'll wait a week-ish before continuing if we still have both of you to create a chapter break.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Agil and Truth are brought under the tutelage of another member of Alivast's council. The Captain of the Guard, Brorc Bronzefang.
    So named for his shining tusks. Apparently a half-orc with celestial parentage, he seems to understand a lot about responsibility heaped upon his shoulders, and having a hard time fitting in on any world.

Much is learned, but Brorc has to move west to handle the many border problems you encountered on your travels, and so after a week's time the pair are invited back to see Abacus.

"I hope your time with Captain Bronzefang was well spent." She doesn't look up from a set of contracts she's signing. "As you may know, the metal available to Alivast at this time is... poor. However there is a new mining enterprise up north that sees some promise. Previously any attempt to mine in the northern mountains would be met by resistance from either the kobolds or the goliaths who reside in the mountains, but a company of dragonborns thought that they might be able to communicate with the kobolds below. Things seem to be going well and I've received word that the first shipment is on the way but the goliaths of the mountains above are beginning to interfere. I was hoping you could scout out the situation."
    "Oh, and I have a few things for you." She produces a pouch containing a helm with an odd feature, a faceplate that covered the eyes, and a potion with clear liquid floating at the top of the bottle with cloudy white foam inside.
    "I figured you might find use for them at some point."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31
    Command: 1/1 LR
    Misty Step: 1/1 LR
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC14
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Truth takes the helm and hands it to Agil.

"I don't think my horns will fit in this."

She takes the potion and tastes it, like Polly had shown her, in order to try to determine its purpose. She also takes one of her potions and gives it to Agil,

"I forgot to give this to you earlier. It protects against fire, but my heritage already provides me some protection against flames."

Finally, she turns to Abacus, "What's the pay, who is our contact up there, and how do we find them? Also , can we see Polly before we go? I'd like to say goodbye to her."

Show
    Giving Helm and my potion of fire resistance to Agil. (duh, I can't use it)
    Then taking the clear and cloudy potion.

Show
    Alivast
    Collette, Black's wife
    kobolds and Goliath stop mining in north
    Dragonborn may have made deal with kobolds

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Agil
    AC: 18 HP: 36/36| AC: 15 HP: 20/20
    PP: 19 PIv: 14 PIs: 17 | PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 14

The week passes in a blur for Agil. He's used to training - he keeps his body in finest condition for a reason - but the experiences with their instructor prove taxing in a way which is as rewarding as it is draining. Being called upon to engage in work is a welcome reprieve from it.

Agil takes the helm from Truth, looking it over. It's not exactly his style, but effectiveness on the field outweighed fashion...most of the time, anyway. "Do we know why the goliaths are objecting to the mining? Territorial, religious, or...?" He drifts off with the phantom exceptions left to guess. A religious complication would be much harder to navigate than a territorial dispute. "And are we being given any lattitude with which to offer bargaining chips on behalf of the city?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"The mining company's reports have been frustratingly slim on details," Abacus answers with a scowl. "I don't know that they have any demands at all, or if they simply want to take the mountain for themselves. Without knowing what they want, it's difficult to make promises on the city's behalf on what can and cannot be provided. Sadly, the Goliaths have not been on our radar. They are herders and hunters who live high in the mountains, having no resources Alivast is interested in... though if we're to start a mining operation, being able to feed the miners seems useful. If you find out what they want, we will become increasingly interested in trade with them as our northern territory expands."

Abacus nods. "Polly is situated in the Middle District, she's kept out of the public eye and being provided with anything she requests." Alivast scribbles out notes to give the pair of you permission to ender the city's second district for the rest of the day. It occurs to Agil that this second district is also the home to more wealthy citizens, who very well might have interests to the north that they could pick up on their way North.

"Now if there's nothing else...?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If there's anything else we can run past/present parallel for a little bit

Polly is singing to herself as you enter into her home – a house with a few rooms before you enter the main area, to allow pickups and dropoffs without anyone seeing Polly. It seems that her existence is being kept secret. It's trivially easy to find her once you enter, for you can simply follow the sound of her singing.

"Spider web, moldy bread, mucky mud, too.
    Stir them in my witch's brew.
    I got magic! Alakazamakazoo

ooo - My witch's brew - ooo
    What’s it gonna do to you?
    Boo!"

She looks up, delighted, to see you, and grins with her yellow fangs.
    "Agil! Truth! Nija! Aina! Anyone invisible I don't know about! Welcome, welcome! I was just making some antidotes to ward against poisons. Please, sit. I don't have a lot of chairs, not much company, really, but I have a bed!" Polly leads you to her bed and sits on the chair in the room, leaving you all room to sit on her mattress, which feels fine and soft.
    "It's been nice to be left alone, though I certainly could do with some friendly company! How have you been? Have any of your birthdays passed?"
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-09-15 at 04:20 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC14
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Truth thanks Abacus for the continued work and takes the potion with her to Polly's. She spends the time trying to figure out shat the potion does, perhaps aiming for Polly's help if needed.

"I hope they are treating you well, Polly. Maybe if we can earn enough money, we could get you set up in a business of your own. Maybe 'Polly's Potions' or 'The Helpful Hag.' I think you could make a real difference here improving people's lives, and I'm sure the people of Alivast will get over their prejudices once they get to know you."

She enjoys the visit with Polly and then says her goodbyes. Nija pops into existence and enjoys spending some more time with her friend.

"Bye Polly. We'll see you again soon. We'll stop by as soon as we get back."

Show

While we visit over a short rest, she will identify the clear and cloudy potion. then she's ready to go find the mining operation.

Show
    Alivast
    Collette, Black's wife

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Agil

Information being spotty was nothing new for Agil, and it was always better to get the information directly rather than from a third party anyway, so Abacus not being able to offer more information was hardly the end of the world for him. He has no further questions though, and gladly bids them goodbye, with the promise of a successful task completed on their return.

"It's only been a week, but all is well. We've been called to deal with some more trouble outside the city, so I'm afraid we will be away for some time, though hopefully not too long." He takes in her quarters, such as they are. Comfortable and cozy, though he can't help get a niggling suspicion she is something of a prisoner here still. That wouldn't do, if so - she deserved freedom as much as any other innocent person.

Still, he hadn't the time to inquire further for now. They were given a task, and he was sure that they'd be back to discuss further. Once their conversations conclude, he's ready to head out.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm..." Polly strokes her chin, thinking about names for a business.
    "Welcome to the Crone Zone, your source for all Hag Swag!" She says with a grin.
    "While you're out, keep an eye out for ingredients and odd mushrooms and things!" Polly suggests and waves you off.

The journey north is a long, and increasingly is not over even ground. Passing by Everbright mountain, more are ahead, in their own range far from the mountain that Alivast's frontier towns are centered around. Moving north also moves you away from the coastline of Alivast and soon there is not around you but fields and a slight but growing chill.

The forest fading into field fading into snow is beautiful, and the rich landscape gave way to wildlife that Agil and Truth were unfamiliar with. The largest were great brown beasts with thick coats and the largest antlers either of you had ever seen, even larger than those of the deer the herders back on faerun had selectively bred to have large antlers, good for making tools.

In the distance, you hear hooves and wheels at once, suggesting a person nearby.
    Indeed, in a slight morning fog you spot a black-scaled dragonborn leading a pair of horses and a wagon, covered in a tarp. He hasn't seemed to notice you yet, however.

Spoiler
    Show
    So you've got a Helmet of Comprehend Languages and a Potion of Flight.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Agil

Having now deduced the magic in the helm and understanding that it's not needed immediately, he stores it in his pack for later. He's unfamiliar with the Goliath and Kobold languages, so it might come in useful later.

On spotting the black-scaled dragonkin, Agil raises his voice. "Greetings. We are traveling to the mines to help with the dispute situation. Can you tell us if we're on the right path?" Agil is fairly certain that they are, this is merely an icebreaking question to initiate conversation.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC14
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Nija pops out of existence as soon as we hear the traveler approaching. Truth follows Agil's lead.

"Greetings. We were sent from Alivast as ambassadors to the mines. Have you any news?"

Show

Show
    Alivast
    Collette, Black's wife
    [/QUOTE]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

The dragonborn halts upon being hailed, and as you approach you can see his hand upon a long handle to a longer blade – a falx. He calms as you both approach.
    Opening a toothy mouth, looking almost like an alligator, he answers:
    "I am Direak of the Kipraa mining band. We are... pleased to hear that our requests have been answered. You are on the right path. I am delivering a small shipment now to prove that the ore of the mountain is good."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC14
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Truth is glad that we are going the right way, but she trusted Agil to get us there so it's not a huge surprise.

"It is nice to hear that the ore is good. The will help in everyone's protection, and should make you all a nice profit. Have you had any trouble with the kobolds or Goliaths? Anything else we need to watch out for ahead?"

Show

Show
    Alivast
    Collette, Black's wife

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Agil

Agil eyes the dragonborn, and then the surroundings. "Alone? Are the roads that safe?" With the talk of trouble, he'd have expected any shipments to be guarded, but perhaps they lacked the manpower - or they were far enough to not worry about such attacks.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"There's wild animals and a few roving monsters," Direak answered. "No thieves or bandits, this will be the first transport of any value along this way. But it is a bit of a risk sending me alone, for there's trouble back in the mountain." Direak pauses and considers the questions.
    "No trouble from the kobolds, they're working with us quite... enthusiastically. But ever since our practice began, the goliaths from the peaks of the mountains have been coming down and kidnapping the kobolds. I worry we may have... stuck ourselves in the middle of a preexisting conflict."
    "Walk carefully in the snow, watch it for any movements. There are great beasts who tunnel through it. They only bother themselves with large animals with plenty of meat, generally, so I wouldn't worry unless you go after some oxen while you're here. Might see you as predators cutting in on its turf if you do that."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC14
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Truth enjoys exchanging pleasantries and information with the Dragonborn.

"When you get to Alivast, let Abacus the gnome know we made it this far on the right path. Is there anyone we should ask for when get to the mines?"

She is then ready to continue the journey north.
    Show

Show
    Alivast
    Collette, Black's wife

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Agil

The goliaths weren't just fighting the kobolds, but kidnapping them entirely? For what reason? He doubts the dragonborn knows - they would have said if they did. If it were some elder conflict that predated the miner's involvement, it would be that much harder to solve with words. Slaughtering a tribe of locals isn't exactly his idea of a good time.
    Still, it's clear that the dragonborn doesn't have much else to offer, and so he bids them goodbye as Truth has.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

"Our leader is Kannazt," Direak says, and he looks back the way he came with an involuntary nervous twitch, as if thinking Kannazt might be watching him. "Green dragonborn. Ask for him if you like, but Zekov will be able to tell you a lot more about the area. He's our surveyor. Blue dragonborn, travels with a wolf he tamed."
    With a nod, Direak moves along with your message.

With an eye out for the creature Direak mentioned, you do manage to spot a rumble in the snow before a great centipede-like creature, steam hissing from it as if its core was of fire, bursts out of the ground and snaps up a moose, ignoring you all.

Spoiler: Monstah
    Show

While the moose you see are large, they tend to move solitarily. It is the smaller creatures, obviously related, that might be referred to as "caribou" that remain together in groups.
    It is many of those creatures, with larger horns than most, that are passing by when you hear a distinct click click click in the distance, also moving for the mountains less than half a day's walk at this point. Several groups of four of these smaller caribou with larger horns are lashed together, pulling behind them sleds with large-statured persons upon them forming a loose barrier around the moving herd, keeping all of the smaller caribou with larger horns close together and clicking toward the mountains.

Agil determines their path and the right point to intercept them. If you pick up the pace, you could catch up to these herders if you so chose.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Truth
    Tiefling Warlock
    Nija
    Imp Familiar
    Sting +5 1d4+3 +3d6 DC14
    Magic Resistance
    Rat, Raven, Spider

Truth says goodbye to the Dragonborn and follows Agil to continue the journey. Nija pops back into existence once the traveller is gone. When they reach the caribou pulling possibly Goliaths, Truth lets Agil make a decision on whether to contact them or hide from them.

"Should we start our introductions now, or let these herders pass?"

Show

Show
    Alivast
    Collette, Black's wife
    Direak, Dragonborn traveling south
    Kannazt, leader and green Dragonborn
    Zekov, surveyor. Blue dragonborn, travels with a wolf he tamed.