New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Help? I've designed my own TTRPG and hope to partner with a game publisher

Hello all,

In my spare time, I've designed my own TTRPG of 256 text pages, before illustrations. Does anyone know of game publishers who work with people like me to bring their vision to life, and/or what the budget ballpark for this sort of project might be?

If there's a thread or board already devoted to this sort of thing, I didn't see it, and would love a redirect.

Thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Help? I've designed my own TTRPG and hope to partner with a game publisher

As someone who is neck deep in publishing my own indie game, I would love to share experiences with you.

It is my understanding that most publishers do not accept submissions for RPGs as they already have a staff who are waiting for the chance to publish their own game, so unless you are a big name like Monte Cook or Mark Heigan it just isn't going to happen.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Help? I've designed my own TTRPG and hope to partner with a game publisher

Thanks! I had a feeling that was probably the case.

I'd love to hear about your experience; I'll private message you.

Cheers,

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrFunkenstein View Post
    Thanks! I had a feeling that was probably the case.

I'd love to hear about your experience; I'll private message you.

Cheers,
    My comments based on reading a lot of rules either self published or published by vanity publication houses.
    1) Hire a professional editor, preferably one with experience in editing rules. (Doesn’t have to be game rules, but someone who knows how to writes rules so that they are unambiguous and consistent.
    2) Get several groups of play testers and task them testing the rules to destruction. Get them to find the loopholes, the exploits, the rat bastard tricks, the infinite loops.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    My comments based on reading a lot of rules either self published or published by vanity publication houses.
    1) Hire a professional editor, preferably one with experience in editing rules. (Doesn’t have to be game rules, but someone who knows how to writes rules so that they are unambiguous and consistent.
    2) Get several groups of play testers and task them testing the rules to destruction. Get them to find the loopholes, the exploits, the rat bastard tricks, the infinite loops.
    Or do what Gygax did. Take your rules (or ideally an entry-level subset of) and bring them to conventions. Set up a table and invite players. Of course, we don't all have the temperament to do that kind of thing, to say nothing of the time and money investment.

Speaking of time and money, that's what playtesters and an editor will cost.

As someone who is making his own game, I've had to come to terms with it being more a form of creative expression than a viable consumer product. I'm making it as a kind of present to my future self.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Another option to both raise money and awareness might be to try crowdfunding. Though while quite a few games have been successfully funded like that, there are probably a thousand times more that never get close, so it's certainly not a basket to put all your eggs in.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry for the delay, I have been traveling this last week.

Its great that you already have the game written! On the other hand, being so far along means that most of my experiences and advice are no longer applicable.

If possible, I would still see if you can get people to proofread or playtest it without your direct involvement to give you a fresher and more honest take without being guided by your assumptions.

I am still in the editing and artwork stage of my game, then I am going to layout. So actually questions about publishing are purely hypothetical for me. It does appear that in the modern era Kickstarter and then DrivethruRPG allow you to bypass most of the risks of traditional self publishing and the problems of trying to find a distributor, although if you want the game in stores you are still going to have to deal with that at some point.

Have realistic expectations. Don't expect your book to change the industry or even turn a profit. Do this for you.

At the same time, don't give it away for free or practically free, people ironically are more likely to read / appreciate a book they paid for than one that was given to them.

I have found artists at conventions and on forums, and am lucky enough to have a talented artist for a roommate. All of these are good, but flaky. I posted a help wanted ad on the DrivethruRPG discord and got more applications from artists than I could handle. A couple of them were jerks or weirdos, but most are quality people. Some people are also using AI art these days, although other people will boycott AI art on principle. Full color seems to be the norm these days, but I personally am working in black and white because I am going for an 80s WHFRP style.

That's all I can think of at the moment, although I am sure if you have any more pointed questions or just want to tell me about your game and your experiences developing and testing it I will have a lot more to say.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Osprey Games takes open submissions but you first have to send them a pitch, do NOT send them 250+ words. Go look on their website for the details.

I would recommend looking for RPG publishers, go to their Contact page, and see it they are taking submissions. If they are.... submit.

If not, there is Drive Thru RPG PDFs and they give you a 70% cut. Most publishers only give between 7- 25% but typically have more volume. However, I have had good success with online PDF publishers as a side hustle.

Do not expect to make any money publishing your game. It is an act of creation and love. You publish games because you can not stop writing games!
    *This Space Available*