New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Switching Systems

In a different thread, some one asked me about how often I play different systems and why. I did not get a chance to immediately answer, and I do not recall who it was or where they asked me about it. They basically wanted some insight about why not stick with one system and gain system mastery?

I will give some thoughts on it here and invited you all to share your thoughts, comments, etc. I apologize to the person who originally asked for the delay.

Why Switch Systems?
    To me, systems matter. They are designed the way they are to encourage certain styles of play. Just like one would not play UNO if they wanted a Meeple/Map game, one should not play an RPG designed to do the wrong thing. If I want to explore being the Chosen One in an episodic TV show, the mechanics should be different from a long term campaign where I control planets; and the mechanics should lean into the type of game it is trying to be. Therefore, one system can not "do it all" and the mechanics shape the intended game play.

I also like to be exposed to a variety of solutions to the same basic problem. How do you help players determine success and failure in a collaborative story playing game? This exposure helps keep my creativity and energy in RPGs as opposed to other hobbies.

How Often Should You Switch?
    Obviously, there is not good answer to this as it varies a lot by who your game group is. Some of them will prefer long, drawn out campaign where they are building the lore as they go with new characters rotating in as needed. Some like one-shots where the character is explored as they go.

I guess my rule of thumb is, when you finish up one campaign it is time to consider what the group wants to do next. That is when you should consider switching systems. It is a natural place to do so and everyone can learn together.

I am lucky in that I have a group that can have 4 out of 6 players potentially GM a game. Therefore, depending on who is pitching the game and what they want to do there maybe a system switch.

How Often Do I Switch?
    As often as it is necessary to play a good game. Typically, if we are doing a One Shot, we will often use a simple Rules-Lite system to play it. If we have a short campaign we will keep the same system through-out and run it from 3-15 sessions, depending. Curse of Strahd was one of our longest running campaigns, at about 40+ sessions.

In the past two years, I have used 7 different systems or so of varying degrees of complexity.
    - Those Dark Places - 2 Session
    - WEG Star Wars 2nd Edition - 6 Sessions
    - Flashlight: Tales of Terror - 2 Sessions
    - Princes of the Universe - 5 Sessions
    - Modiphius 2d20 Dune - 5 Sessions
    - Legend of the 5 Rings - 8 Sessions
    - D&D 5th Edition - 70+ Sessions

I did not GM all of those games. The group favors D&D as they like the combat and the dungeon crawling, and are very open to those types of games during a pitch session.

In the past I have played other games such as:
    - Robotech/RIFTS
    - Shadowrun
    - Dark Heresy
    - Only War
    - Call of Cthulu
    - FUDGE (Proto-FATE)
    - Lasers and Feelings
    - PbtA Systems
    - Home brews
    - I am sure there are others that I am totally forgetting! However, I still want/need some Savage Worlds and Forged in Dark systems in my life!

Why Not Gain System Mastery?
    This is a difficult question to answer. Some people really value system mastery in their games. I am not one of those people.

To me, once I know the system the game loses some of its wonder and becomes more like operating a machine. I may enjoy the machine, but ultimately when I press the buttons I have a good idea what the output is going to be. When I play a game without system mastery, I am pressing the buttons but what the output will be is more of a gamble.

I have found that I am much more creative when we do not know what the game considers possible and rewards, and the experimentation leads to discovery. Your mileage will vary, as you want to know what the outputs are and you want to know that for a reason.

Final Thoughts
    These are just like, my opinion; man. They are worth as much as you paid for them.

However, I have found that I switch and experience a lot of different games because:
    1. It helps me stay creative
    2. Mechanics matter and shape the game experience
    3. System mastery has little value to me

So, to that poster that I forgot to answer in that other thread I do not remember please accept my humble apologies. Here are some of my thoughts and I hope you find this thread, read it, and this is helpful to you. If not, maybe it will spark some conversation for the rest of us?
    *This Space Available*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Switching Systems

Around the time I got into TTRPGs in general, I was introduced to D&D 3.5 and Shadowrun in rapid succession. Without that immediate like "There's more than just this one game" thing, I bet I would've been a 3.5 lifer. There weren't any stores where I grew up so finding anything new was practically impossible, so being aware of more than just 3.5 helped.

Today that manifests in me having an entire list of games i want to run, and I read games and summarize their rules and vibes for other people. In my Shadowrun 5e game I've started throwing in interlude one-shots in other game systems to mix things up and introduce players to new things.

The main thing is that Dungeons and Dragons doesn't capture the entirety of the setting or rules I want to use. I like dice pool over 1d20+mod. I like straightforward action action resolution over counting bonuses and penalties (and Shadowrun is on thin ice, let me tell you what), and I like exploring different sorts of ways games handle different sorts of interactions differently. It's a fun space to explore.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

My experience in switching systems.

Tone and focus matter for rules. You may be able to replicate CoC or Cyberpunk’s setting with a D20 ripoff, but you will miss the tone and focus that a tailored rules set brings to a setting.
    GURPS is kind of an exception, but that’s more because GURPS is best treated as a toolbox of rules and you choose which ones you are going to use rather than a definitive system.

Rules Mastery. My experience with rules in boardgames, wargames and RPGs is that rules mastery becomes more important with how artificial the game is. Good tactics and good decision making will trump rules mastery unless the system is so artificial as to make mastering the quirks more important than playing well.
    For me f rules mastery is more important than good tactics then I lose interest in the game.

Variety. I like to have variety in my gaming. I like social heavy games. I like games where melee is the deciding factor in combats. I like games.where ranged combat is the decisive factor. I like investigative heavy games. I like sci-fi. I like fantasy. I like history. I like games with a light tone. I like games with a darker tone.
    I can scratch all my itches with one system.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I lean towards systems that are kit n support rather than rule and structure to begin with so I can understand what OP is getting at in regards to the way some systems tend to have a fixed life spam.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS