New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1279 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Greenhilt, please, don't bring V to the final dungeon, or the IFCC would screw up.
    keep hir outside as a distraction, bomb the dudes with spells and waste spell slots, but please, don't bring hir to the mcguffin shelter.
    That's the exact opposite of the concern at hand. The IFCC can't actually use V to actively screw anything up. All they can do is take the elf out of the action temporarily, leaving an indestructible empty shell behind.

I suppose that the 3-minute option could work if they time it so V falls on a stasis-unlocking trap as a result of their soul getting pulled away, but that's the worst harm that could occur there.

No, the much bigger threat is if V gets removed right when the good guys need wizardly assistance. Removing him from the fight before the fiends can, gives the fiends even more of what they want - an elf-less party.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Eh, they were walking along with the letter in-hand as if about to hand it to someone, not the position of someone expecting to freeze solid/to death. They probably got hit with something like a cone of cold by a passing wizard who thought they were a random encounter :p
    To be fair, it's like Belkar's 1d3 dire camels: her being a random encounter would make more rather than less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    No, the much bigger threat is if V gets removed right when the good guys need wizardly assistance. Removing him from the fight before the fiends can, gives the fiends even more of what they want - an elf-less party.
    Dunno. Do they want a V-less party or a party that seems to have V, but nonetheless can not have V the exact moment it'd matter? A Schrödinger's Elf, if you will.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-04-27 at 10:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Man, people with cold resistance must be pretty expensive if they send someone who would freeze to death before they'd hire one of them.
    Or they don't deliver there often enough to justify the cost of hiring a specific creature like that and they can easily replace the dead one.
    Greenhilt, please, don't bring V to the final dungeon, or the IFCC would screw up.
    keep hir outside as a distraction, bomb the dudes with spells and waste spell slots, but please, don't bring hir to the mcguffin shelter.
    The only thing the IFCC can do to V is take them out of the action. Roy taking them out of the action pre-emptively just does the IFCC's work himself, for free. That's not a good strategy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Or they don't deliver there often enough to justify the cost of hiring a specific creature like that and they can easily replace the dead one.

The only thing the IFCC can do to V is take them out of the action. Roy taking them out of the action pre-emptively just does the IFCC's work himself, for free. That's not a good strategy.
    Dunno. Do they want a V-less party or a party that seems to have V, but nonetheless can not have V the exact moment it'd matter? A Schrödinger's Elf, if you will.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-04-27 at 10:56 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Random thought.

Why not just pop up and throw a dispel magic at Xykon et al. As the lowest level active spell, it should disappear first; then even if they finish the gauntlet it won't matter since one or more of the marks are gone.
    that's a good idea, but 1) to be a fair competition someone needs to capable to win 2) when someone say "permanent tatoo" i don't believe a low level spell can undone it.

Quote Originally Posted by Connington View Post
    Five gold says that the fact that nobody has laid eyes on the Gate since sealing it up is going to be relevant before the end of the book.
    yeah I want to bet with you. the Snarl can't be so predictable. still I want to believe crazy theory as Laurin is the 6th gate

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Solution: make a plan that includes V but does not rely on them. Which Roy already figured out a while ago.

Again, leaving V out just does the IFCC's job for them without them even needing to use their finite, limited ability to take V out. Its the worst possible course of action Roy could take regarding V's deal.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-04-27 at 11:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

that's a good idea, but 1) to be a fair competition someone needs to capable to win 2) when someone say "permanent tatoo" i don't believe a low level spell can undone it.
    If it is permanent, a Dispel can undo it. But given how Serini was hit by a Dispel earlier and doesn't seem to be bothered too much by that, I'd say it's either high level or instantaneous.

That. Makes. Too. Much. Sense.

Solution: make a plan that includes V but does not rely on them. Which Roy already figured out a while ago.

Again, leaving V out just does the IFCC's job for them without them even needing to use their finite, limited ability to take V out. Its the worst possible course of action Roy could take regarding V's deal.
    Yup. That's what their "never do anything important again" comment is, in part, about. But the paranoia factor and how they can't rely on the only wizard they have available is a part of the deal. For the record, I'm not saying the Order should bind and gag V. That would achieve, well, less than nothing. Nor am I saying that allowing them to enter the Final Room is inherently dangerous. It isn't. The IFCC can't use the body. It's just, the fiends' plan has a lot more wicked nuance than "we want V out of the game".

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

yeah that is what Roy knows, but we know there is an artifact in play. And also an appropriate vessel! I root with my readers eye even if I talk to an unknowing PC.

The question is of course if this would be entirely unrelated to V...
    ... but I don't believe so. out of my 20 oots-virtual-crypto-currency, I can bet 7 of those

9. - Top - End - #39

yeah that is what Roy knows, but we know there is an artifact in play. And also an appropriate vessel!
    …which can't be V. Since Sabine is supposed to fetch it (them?).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Random thought.

Why not just pop up and throw a dispel magic at Xykon et al. As the lowest level active spell, it should disappear first; then even if they finish the gauntlet it won't matter since one or more of the marks are gone.
    The tatoo is almost certainly an instantaneous effect and thus immune to dispel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Although the core spell used by the tattoo trap is probably arcane mark (0th level), the trap upcasts it with a 9th level slot specifically to circumvent this apparent defect.
    1) Arcane mark is immune to dispel magic, it's in the description of the arcane mark spell. Level 0 is more than good enough.

B) 3.5, upcasting does not help at all against dispel. It's a caster level check, not a spell level thing at all. Assuming that neither spell is immune, a level 3 dispel magic is exactly as good at taking down a level 9 spell as a level 0 spell from the same caster. No better, no worse.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Ice weasels.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

To bring a topic over from the last thread, theories counting Serini's gate as having good long term defenses just took a big hit. Her explanation of the Final Dungeon's defenses includes the phrase "if Lirian had played ball."

So one of the people she was counting as the most likely to help refused to do so right from the design stage. Given Girard's general distrust, Soon's oath, and the fact that she was taking monsters from Dorukan's castle without letting him know she was there, I'm not really sure any of the scribblers would have actually answered the call. Most likely they'd have double checked their own defenses and just kept their ears to the ground.

Unrelated to all that, Roy's obviously thinking to jump to the FD ahead of Team Evil, slip past the stasis monsters without waking them, and basically be TE's final boss. It'd make a pretty neat bookend to His and Xykon's first meeting.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

13. - Top - End - #43

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote0715 View Post
    The Far Side?
    A cursory Googling suggests Matt Groening, Life in Hell.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    Unrelated to all that, Roy's obviously thinking to jump to the FD ahead of Team Evil, slip past the stasis monsters without waking them, and basically be TE's final boss. It'd make a pretty neat bookend to His and Xykon's first meeting.
    wow this is a majestic forecast, the kind of surprise I would like to see too. With no irony i see in you a certified bardic genius!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    Come now, Serini has like a dozen bowls but no spoons? I am unable to suspend my disbelief.

Oh also, she says her memory is perfect, but that's not what she said here. Call her out on it, Haley!
    "Didn't you say earlier that you couldn't remember your children's names?"
    "Didn't you say earlier that you thought that was part of a massive bluff?"
    Overly logical member of the Elan's modron concience fanclub.
    I am a: Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th level)
    Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Man, people with cold resistance must be pretty expensive if they send someone who would freeze to death before they'd hire one of them.
    "Only when it's funny."
    -- Roger Rabbit

That's keeping V out of the finale just as the IFCC would do, only longer.

The only method that would have worked to prevent the IFCC part of the plot from occurring would have been to kill Vaarsuvius. Then a wizard of the right level and equally ambiguous gender would have been found in the next tavern, and Suubstitutius wouldn't be under control of the IFCC.

[The only problem with this plan is that the author of the strip is not trying to prevent Rich's plot from occurring.]

17. - Top - End - #47

DrowGuy

yeah that is what Roy knows, but we know there is an artifact in play. And also an appropriate vessel! I root with my readers eye even if I talk to an unknowing PC.

The question is of course if this would be entirely unrelated to V...
    ... but I don't believe so. out of my 20 oots-virtual-crypto-currency, I can bet 7 of those
    Sabine is getting the vessel as part of mixing business and pleasure. That probably means luring someone into a trap via seduction. If the marker for "appropriate" is related to V, that shortens the list considerably, and makes it pretty likely that the artifact is to be used during one of the time outs. There are only 4 people that are at all likely in that circumstance, of which only one is at all likely to be taken in by seduction: Inkyrius.

That said, I don't really think it's going that way. It would be retreading old ground with the fiends using them being in danger to emotionally manipulate V.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    It would be dramatic, but this... also sounds like the biggest risk they could take. Having their big final battle right near the actual gate seems like it's what everyone involved MOST wanted to avoid. Or, at least Serini wanted to avoid. (and went about terribly)

19. - Top - End - #49

SamuraiGuy

"My name is Starshine".

And beware the ice weasels!

But I'm beginning to see the possibility of problems. Serini didn't actually go through the gate post Xykon, we aren't sure it goes where it's supposed to; and Haley has set herself up to not spot one of Serini's traps because that's much funnier than if she finds them all.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

this page would already be well dense enough with text (it does simulate the auditory chaos of a cafeteria well in that regard) without the 5th panel (Roy and Belkar) and that panel doesn't seem to be a semi-punchline put in for comedic pacing (4th panel already has several jokes), so its inclusion seems very deliberate.

in part it does obviously touch upon Belkar's arc and his evolving relationship with Roy and the others (and the way that deals with change and growth of a person in general), and probably touching a bit on the way our heroes have had to reconsider things in the past several hours, but I think it also might be a bit of a call for the audience to take a moment to see if they have or should changed their mind on anything about the story recently? a lot of new light has been shined on things this recent arc

also I might be focusing on that panel a lot bc it made me laugh a bunch, but it seemed fairly pointed beyond its humor value alone

21. - Top - End - #51

Flumph

I take it as a hint that Rich himself might have changed some of his ideas.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean they DO SAY "Rain or sleet or shine", That guy is just so Lawful he'd rather DIE than let mail go undelivered on his watch.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

23. - Top - End - #53

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    It would be dramatic, but this... also sounds like the biggest risk they could take. Having their big final battle right near the actual gate seems like it's what everyone involved MOST wanted to avoid. Or, at least Serini wanted to avoid. (and went about terribly)
    Roy agreed with that plan, at first. So did everyone with a speaking line at the time. However, that was discussed before they knew TE was powering through the entire gauntlet in like a day. They are not going to be able to move the confrontation to a place of choice, unless that place is the valley outside. At this point, the best option is to hit them when they are lowest on magic: right at the end. It's even been foreshadowed.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    Oh also, she says her memory is perfect, but that's not what she said here. Call her out on it, Haley!
    I'm getting a feeling that Haley and Serini might end up getting along really well, possibly better than Belkar, even if they got off to a bad start.

They have so much in common, and rogues are typically not the type to make bonds with their peers; double so for Haley and her inherited distrust of anybody non-family. But here they are, working together in a real end-of-the-world scenario.

Serini with her antiquated traps and her huge pile of XPs and epic adventures could prove to be a wonderful mentor figure (maybe the tragic kind that ends badly, to doubly subvert our expectations ).
    Last edited by TuringTest; 2023-04-27 at 02:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Five gold says that the fact that nobody has laid eyes on the Gate since sealing it up is going to be relevant before the end of the book.
    can't bet against that.

Deeply gratified to see that the ice weasels have a home in the frozen tundra.
    Spoiler: The Matt Groening Quote
    Show
    “Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.”

I like the ref to a cartoon writer ... my first exposure to MG was his comic strips, in an Austin newspaper, lwell before the Simpsons ever existed.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-04-27 at 02:51 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

26. - Top - End - #56

What the hell, I'm in.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Wow a lot of text in this here page.

"Living in a cave at the north pole" has the same energy as "living in a van down by the river", and I love it. Also, RIP mail carrier.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    At night, the ice weasels come . . .

Great reference
    Thanks for pointing out it was a reference!

29. - Top - End - #59

Which is why it's so important that essential services like mail delivery not be tied to profit motive...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

*Sees the title* Oh, back with Xykon so soon?
    *Opens the strip* nope, still with the Order, I'm expecting an ominous transition.
    *Reads the strip* How is this going to connect with Xykon.
    *Reads last panel* Ha! I get it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.