New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1279 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Connington View Post
    Five gold says that the fact that nobody has laid eyes on the Gate since sealing it up is going to be relevant before the end of the book.
    That occurred to me at the time, but now that it's being brought to my attention afresh I'm wondering if the Gate is even still there. The Snarl may have broken through it already, except without the expected result of destroying the world. Yet.

Which leads to another interesting question- if the world within the rifts is new, and wasn't part of the previous cycles, what's different this time? Is this the first time anyone has tried sealing it with gates? Is the purple quib someone involved? Or have the Gods just never noticed it before because they were keeping it at a distance?

I've got to say, it's amazing how many plot threads are leading into this finale, how intertwined they all are, and how OOTs has been able to manage it's plot threads so consistently well that everyone seems to have total confidence that they'll all tie in together satisfyingly.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

So... Depending on how the magic butt-tattoo works, might be all Xykon needs to do is drag Serini through a tunnel with him and the portal will open for her, letting him in as well?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nembrotha View Post
    So... Depending on how the magic butt-tattoo works, might be all Xykon needs to do is drag Serini through a tunnel with him and the portal will open for her, letting him in as well?
    I wonder if she even needs to be alive. Or whole - just bring her butt, leave all other parts behind.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #64

The amount of detail to how the traps work we're getting in this page seems like a pretty clear indication that it's going to matter.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    yeah I want to bet with you. the Snarl can't be so predictable. still I want to believe crazy theory as Laurin is the 6th gate
    I dunno, the point of the gates was to seal up fractures in reality. They already said that they couldn't be moved (hence why a huge castle was built up to lock away the tiny rift that had formed up high in the sky) so having her be a gate doesn't seem to be likely, nor the slightest bit effective. You could argue she was a rift, but then the snarl should be trying to burst out of her. I suspect that she - and maybe Myron? - could end up becoming helpful at sealing the desert rift.

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    That occurred to me at the time, but now that it's being brought to my attention afresh I'm wondering if the Gate is even still there. The Snarl may have broken through it already, except without the expected result of destroying the world. Yet.

Which leads to another interesting question- if the world within the rifts is new, and wasn't part of the previous cycles, what's different this time? Is this the first time anyone has tried sealing it with gates? Is the purple quib someone involved? Or have the Gods just never noticed it before because they were keeping it at a distance?

I've got to say, it's amazing how many plot threads are leading into this finale, how intertwined they all are, and how OOTs has been able to manage it's plot threads so consistently well that everyone seems to have total confidence that they'll all tie in together satisfyingly.
    I predict the OOTS will see the final gate and there will be something inside it (maybe a planet or ocean), and Serini will say that was not how it was before. It will set a reveal where we learn more about the Snarl and what is beyond the gates.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I predict the OOTS will see the final gate and there will be something inside it (maybe a planet or ocean), and Serini will say that was not how it was before. It will set a reveal where we learn more about the Snarl and what is beyond the gates.
    Given that the snarl is a macguffin not a character (WoG), I think the gates are responsible for the planet. I have no idea how -- I would expect the gates to use the conceal and/or banish seeds, neither of which should generate a real (or illusory) planet.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Given that the snarl is a macguffin not a character (WoG), I think the gates are responsible for the planet. I have no idea how -- I would expect the gates to use the conceal and/or banish seeds, neither of which should generate a real (or illusory) planet.
    I think there's a decent chance that the Snarl is responsible for the planet.

Sure it's a MacGuffin, but I interpret that as it having no agency within this story, nor really a point-of-view that is going to end up shaping the outcome of the series.

It's not an inanimate object though, or a non-sentient character (as far as we know). I imagine it can still do things, if off-screen, and it seems more likely to be doing things than an actual inanimate object (the Gates).

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Lumix19 View Post
    I think there's a decent chance that the Snarl is responsible for the planet.

Sure it's a MacGuffin, but I interpret that as it having no agency within this story, nor really a point-of-view that is going to end up shaping the outcome of the series.

It's not an inanimate object though, or a non-sentient character (as far as we know). I imagine it can still do things, if off-screen, and it seems more likely to be doing things than an actual inanimate object (the Gates).
    I would agree except that the snarl is a thing of chaos, and a planet is orderly (on its own scales).

Also, I came up with a theory about how the conceal seed could generate the planet: if the concealment causes the snarl to lose track of some bits, those might coalesce into something like their original form. (Normally that wouldn't work, but the snarl is ... unusual.)
    Last edited by Windscion; 2023-04-27 at 08:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

So, defaults to funniest body part? Why do I have the feeling that the butt stamp trap was the most complex* effect?

*Complex, not (necessarily) high-level or whatever. Multiple low-level spells and/or feats and stuff put together would be more complex than say, a single Meteor Swarm trap.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nembrotha View Post
    As I theorized before, this is a great reason for Serini to have been so tight lipped before. If she tells the order and Xykon finds out, he's coming straight for her.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground

That was a lot of effort put into the comic about soup. Suspiciously a lot.

Oh man, is there still amnesia potion in that pot? Is the whole party and Serini going to lose their memories of this plan?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhands View Post

Oh man, is there still amnesia potion in that pot? Is the whole party and Serini going to lose their memories of this plan?
    I mean it got knocked over pretty hard. If there's any left, it's probably just a bit in the bottom that would make them forget how good the meal was or something.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Also, Familicide is propably one of these old spells that haven't been seen in ages, or something like that. Can't imagine Haerta being a newly dead soul without anything being mentioned about it.
    makes sense. who knows how long the IFCC had been sitting on those souls?
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Maybe the local postal service is just… Evil, or something? (Also, they apparently don't actually maintain a presence in the general area, seeing how they sent a human.)
    Isnt that always the case? Between damaged and lost packages and how slow it goes. I though being evil was part of the requirement of any postal service.

Moving along, I wonder if this is set up for something else. The Malack and Durkon drinking tea while talking about religion pops to mind for some reason with this strip. It really sounds like something is being set up but I am not 100% sure what it could be.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhands View Post

Now that you mention it, Serini mentioned a cleaning wand but we didn't get to see it in panel being used in the cauldron.

It wouldn't be out of character for the Order to forget that little detail, to compensate for the consistent efficiency that they have recently demonstrated.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Halfling in the Playground

"Lord Coccyx" is a hilarious name for a Lich

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Isnt that always the case? Between damaged and lost packages and how slow it goes. I though being evil was part of the requirement of any postal service.
    Quite frankly, i see at least one postal service are very specifically Good.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #79

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TuringTest View Post
    Now that you mention it, Serini mentioned a cleaning wand but we didn't get to see it in panel being used in the cauldron.

It wouldn't be out of character for the Order to forget that little detail, to compensate for the consistent efficiency that they have recently demonstrated.
    I think Belkar has the group's backs on this one. He's in full blown chef mode, an unclean cookpot is anathema to that.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

20. - Top - End - #80

So Serini has a non renewable supply of monsters in stasis to fill the dungeon.

Does that mean Team Evil could have exhausted such supply by sheer persistence?
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

If they'd tried to, maybe. Probably not though, and Oona's already told them that the monsters come back eventually but not soon, so they wouldn't have any reason to try that.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    So Serini has a non renewable supply of monsters in stasis to fill the dungeon.

Does that mean Team Evil could have exhausted such supply by sheer persistence?
    that's not what is happening.

the Monsters frozen in stasis in the final dungeon have been there from the beginning and remain there.

The "refilling" of the outer dungeons are done with external assets. We see Serini recruiting some in an earlier strip.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Man, people with cold resistance must be pretty expensive if they send someone who would freeze to death before they'd hire one of them.
    The postmaster had an in-law looking for a job, and it is well known that someone has to die before a position in civil service opens up.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    The postmaster had an in-law looking for a job, and it is well known that someone has to die before a position in civil service opens up.
    Heh. These ones get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    that's not what is happening.

the Monsters frozen in stasis in the final dungeon have been there from the beginning and remain there.

The "refilling" of the outer dungeons are done with external assets. We see Serini recruiting some in an earlier strip.
    I wonder how that was supposed to work out while the plan was still Serini walking the earth, free of earthly cares and troll flesh grafts.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't think even knowing what was happening as it happened would have helped the Draketeeth. And the Sapphire Guard had pretty good modern intel.
    Having people who weren't Draketeeth guarding the pyramid would have helped, though.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I wonder how that was supposed to work out while the plan was still Serini walking the earth, free of earthly cares and troll flesh grafts.
    One can "walk the earth, free of earthly cares" and still check in periodically to see if the tomb needs restocking. They are not mutually exclusive. I work Monday to Friday, but Weekends? Weekends are allllll Wintermoot-time.

Besides, we see her having a Purple Worm delivered in the crayons of time, so there is apparently contractors you can use to purchase stock if you don't want to get them yourself.

Shop Smart. Shop S-monster-Mart.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    One can "walk the earth, free of earthly cares" and still check in periodically to see if the tomb needs restocking. They are not mutually exclusive. I work Monday to Friday, but Weekends? Weekends are allllll Wintermoot-time.

Besides, we see her having a Purple Worm delivered in the crayons of time, so there is apparently contractors you can use to purchase stock if you don't want to get them yourself.

Shop Smart. Shop S-monster-Mart.
    Do dungeon contractors exist in the Stickverse? Because that should be a very lucrative market.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Having people who weren't Draketeeth guarding the pyramid would have helped, though.
    Only due to a very unforeseeable contingency that specifically targeted their bloodline.

Otherwise, it was a flawed, but not totally logically unreasonable security measure. I find it kind of funny how people try to credit Serini for being a genius for maintaining operational secrecy in ways that made no sense and very, very predictably proved counter-productive, but never give the rest of the Scribblers credit for their far-more effective measures to maintain secrecy (Cloister, the SG, pretty much everything Draketooth did).

Going all-in on obscurity wasn't a bad plan. Yeah, it had its weaknesses, and Girard's supposition that family was fundamentally more trustworthy than hand-picking honorable paladins was flawed. But given how Xykon has been able to break all of the other gates' defenses (except for Dorukan's glyph) given enough time, it's completely reasonable to suppose that preventing him from finding the gate in the first place was a better defensive measure than just throwing a bunch of monsters at him. Meanwhile, a lot of other security measures that he could have used might have compromised said obscurity. Having more people involved means having more people who can talk. Having additional spells/structures creates additional dependencies that require maintenance that could be tracked back to you. Having a larger temple to accommodate more monsters and traps would make hiding it with illusions harder. And all of the resources needed to maintain those would have had to come out of the budget being used for the illusions. And it's also reasonable to point out that Xykon only found the other gates in the first place because of Serini's journal, so it wasn't a family member who ultimately failed him.

But to get back to the original point- the fundamental weakness of all of the gates' defenses was that the Scribblers over-relied on their specialty because they couldn't work with each other. But that's subtly different from leaning into your strongest suit when you're an epic spellcaster and every other option you have available would be an order of magnitude less powerful. Most of the gates' defenses were still very, very good, and the flaw that allowed Xykon to crack them was a tragic flaw that he had to work to exploit, not just some obvious gaping hole. Working together might have made them even better, but there's a big difference between Dorukan putting his glyph on all of the gates and Girard hiring a mid-tier wizard to try to do the same.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Sure, but that's not an intel problem.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #90

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Do dungeon contractors exist in the Stickverse? Because that should be a very lucrative market.
    I'm quite sure there's a thriving grey market dungeon industry in such a rules-aware universe. Miners, builders, enchanters, trappers, monster ranchers...You'd find someone if you knew what shadows to ask.