New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Prediction Page, (bring your quatloos, gps, and internets, you'll need them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also IIRC he never said it would be longer than UD, or any book. He said it would be the last book, regardless of how big it would be. That heavily implies it may be bigger, but is ni guarantee.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    The term 'phone book' was used, if my recollection is correct.
    I believe the line was something like, "It'll be seven books, even if the last is as big as a phone book." So no guarantee it's the longest, but I think from Rich's perspective there's a lot to get through. (Even from the sheer number of unanswered questions or plots that need to be resolved, I think we can say there's a lot left to do.)

It wouldn't surprise me if the final book broke 300 strips. I would still be surprised if it was as high as 400, though.

Edit for one last piece of statistical information: Blood Runs in the Family is currently the longest book, at 273 strips.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2023-05-23 at 07:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Prediction Page, (bring your quatloos, gps, and internets, you'll need them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I'm not sure about your police work there, Lou.
    brian's name brian.

Also IIRC he never said it would be longer than UD, or any book. He said it would be the last book, regardless of how big it would be. That heavily implies it may be bigger, but is ni guarantee.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    The term 'phone book' was used, if my recollection is correct.
    Yes, it was. As in, "even if it's the size of a phone book". Again, heavily implied but no guarantee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I believe the line was something like, "It'll be seven books, even if the last is as big as a phone book." So no guarantee it's the longest, but I think from Rich's perspective there's a lot to get through. (Even from the sheer number of unanswered questions or plots that need to be resolved, I think we can say there's a lot left to do.)

It wouldn't surprise me if the final book broke 300 strips. I would still be surprised if it was as high as 400, though.

Edit for one last piece of statistical information: Blood Runs in the Family is currently the longest book, at 273 strips.
    It's not a matter of "I believe" or "something like". The post is still available online and for free!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    It's not a matter of "I believe" or "something like". The post is still available online and for free!
    But what if he meant it looks like a phone book in terms of cover design, not thickness?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Imean, if we want to be just as pedantic as possible, I've lived in a town so small the phone book was arguably thinner than some grocery store magazines, and definitely thinner than a couple of the OotS books.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #185

And I haven't seen a phonebook in years, so it might just imply it will be of dubious existence. (Which is not to say I'm not really curious now what an OotS book with such a cover design would look like, mind you.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-05-23 at 08:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186

And I haven't seen a phonebook in years, so it might just imply it will be of dubious existence. (Which is not to say I'm not really curious now what an OotS book with such a cover design would look like, mind you.)
    Phone books were wild. They'd just print out where everyone lived, and an unstable person could open it up, pick a random name, load up their rifle, head on over, and then shoot a bunch of cans near that person. Especially if he hates those cans. Everyone had to get away from the cans.

7. - Top - End - #187

Phone books were wild. They'd just print out where everyone lived, and an unstable person could open it up, pick a random name, load up their rifle, head on over, and then shoot a bunch of cans near that person. Especially if he hates those cans. Everyone had to get away from the cans.
    Holy… That is insane. Thankfully, we have GDPR now (plus, you know, the actual gun rules we've always had, you trigger-happy barbarians), so the cans can finally live without fear.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I remember that movie. For some reason my girlfriend found Steve Martin funny back then. But in their defense, those cans were just asking to be shot.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, but looking it up takes time and effort I didn't want to spend.

My cans! My precious antique cans!

10. - Top - End - #190

Five gold on "Redcloak destroyed the phylactery".

This also necessarily implies the round holy symbol he switched back to is just a holy symbol. Probably not great odds for me on this one.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Colossus in the Playground

This also necessarily implies the round holy symbol he switched back to is just a holy symbol. Probably not great odds for me on this one.
    I'll take that bet.

Redcloak may destroy it on-panel later, but I do not believe we are going to have a reveal of "oh I smashed the phylactery long ago."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'll take any bet you lay on that one, but only for the past tense. There are several dramatic reasons for RC to eventually be the one to break it though. I'll save my breakdown on that for a comic thread when it becomes relevant.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I'll bet against that. If Xykon is somehow destroyed before the ritual is completed or before he and Redcloak have turned on each other, Redcloak is probably gonna want to bring him back.

Scratch that, since if Xykon regenerates in Redcloak's holy symbol, it's all over anyway. The better argument is that destroying it beforehand might somehow alert Xykon, and thus be an unnecessary risk, when Redcloak can wait until Xykon's body is destroyed and he can't do anything to retaliate until it's regenerated (which Redcloak can simply not let happen at that point).
    Last edited by Ruck; 2023-05-23 at 07:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Flumph

I have nothing to bet, but I predict that Redcloak is planning to throw it into Snarl.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

New wager: I bet one whole internet that Serini will also be on the list of permanently dead after the big climax, and the party - most likely Elan and Haley - will adopt Sunny and take care of him til.he matures enough to go off on his own.

Reasoning: Haley is the most parental out of the group, as opposed to Roy's leader personality, and Elan would be a brother as much as a dad. It would also emphasize the plot aspect of relations between monstrous creatures and non-monstrous ones needing to change once the Snarl is dealt with for good.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-05-24 at 05:56 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    Reasoning: Haley is the most parental out of the group
    How is she parental in any way?

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Redcloak may destroy it on-panel later, but I do not believe we are going to have a reveal of "oh I smashed the phylactery long ago."
    Well, of course not. He's not a Republic serial villain. He will have done it thirty-five minutes ago.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    How is she parental in any way?
    Oh you know. She has a vagina.

19. - Top - End - #199

Spoiler: The Dwight Schrute methodology!
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200

Oh you know. She has a vagina.
    Well, fathers in OotS do have a, shall we say, track record.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-05-24 at 09:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202

I see her treating Belkar as a loose cannon she has little to no control over. Not getting where you see "treats like petulant child"

23. - Top - End - #203

Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-05-24 at 09:59 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

New wager: I bet one whole internet that Serini will also be on the list of permanently dead after the big climax,
    While Xykon does groove on stuff like fire, Serini has that troll blood thing going.
    Hard to kill at this point thanks to regeneration.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    While Xykon does groove on stuff like fire, Serini has that troll blood thing going.
    Hard to kill at this point thanks to regeneration.
    Except, you know, fire vs. troll. Troll regeneration doesn't work on fire damage. So, you know, killing trolls with fire is a popular pastime.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, betting point:
    300 GP on this book being longer in terms of strips then Blood Runs in the Family.
    200 GP on it being over 300 strips long.
    100 GP on it being over 400 strips long.

27. - Top - End - #207

I'll take that bet.

"Oh, I had that character growth already."

(I take the bet, too)

These are all separate bets, and value bets at that. Two scrabble tiles each:

There's going to be a fake finale RSN, when the whole party fights Team Evil.

Tarquin, Ian, and everyone else associated with Elan's plan to defeat Tarquin is going to miraculously appear in a way that screws the pooch and everyone is going to get segregated into plot-sized chunks.

The plot-sized chunks, where necessary, will be forced to cooperate because of the hostility of the Final Dungeon.

Team Negotiator: Redcloak, Durkon, Minrah, and Belkar. Belkar is going to break the ice with Redcloak the same way he broke it with Serini. Worlds will be saved.

Team This Is Your Life: Monster in the Dark, Oona, Greyview, O-Chul, Lien. The Monster in the Dark's allegiance will go on trial. O-Chul is the prosecution, Oona is the defense. I expect O-Chul to win, but subversion is a heavy possibility here.

Team Odd Couple: Xykon and the Quinton will be together long enough for a few jokes and then Xykon will kick the dog somehow by killing the Quinton.

Team Oh Shoot, I Think I'm Out of Scrabble Tiles: V and Tarquin will be together. V will be called away. Sabine will agree to free V from the comfy chair if V kills Tarquin. V will kill Tarquin and then be dragged away for V's third timeout. The power of Lawful Evil will prevent the fiends from compelling V to finish the timeout he escaped. V will return in the nick of time. We will find out whether Outsiders are absorbed into their plane or regenerated somewhere else after losing all their hit points.

The story from this point will be a race for the gate where everyone is absolutely convinced they have to keep moving to accomplish their objectives.
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

28. - Top - End - #208

See, if you were betting gold instead of scrabble tiles I'd take all those bets.

29. - Top - End - #209

See, if you were betting gold instead of scrabble tiles I'd take all those bets.
    Come, now. There might be O tiles in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    These are all separate bets, and value bets at that. Two scrabble tiles each:
    I TAKE 'EM ALL!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-05-25 at 09:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Spoiler: You know you want to
    Show

I TAKE 'EM ALL!
    I'll give you a zyqxuwy if none of them come true.
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar