New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Shadow and Bone - Novels and TV Show

Netflix has a two-season series called Shadow and Bone that my wife and I have been enjoying. Now that we're at the end, I discovered it was based on a novel trilogy. Has anyone here both seen the TV series and read the books? I'm looking for non-spoiler information on if the series has reached the end of the novels, of if we should expect another season.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadow and Bone - Novels and TV Show

yes, there -could- be another season.

I don't think any of this is spoilers, but FYI, the novel series differ from the show in an appreciable way.

The author of the series made a trilogy of novels that follow the main story of Alina Starkov and General Kirrigan and it covers a lot of what the show has covered.

However the crows aren't in it. She made a follow-up duology that centered on the Crows. So for the netflix series they've crammed the Crow characters into the other story (and, IMO, is better for it)

So the main plot of the Crow duology hasn't happened, so there's still one meaningful plotline they can adapt for another season of the show. And the Alina Starkov story has progressed significantly differently than in the books.

I should also point out that, IMO, this is a rare case of the series being better than the books.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Shadow and Bone - Novels and TV Show

There's 3 series: A trilogy focused on Alina and Kirigan, a douology focused around the Crows, and a second douology focused on Nina and Nikolai. Most of the show has come from the Trilogy, with elements from the other doulogies included or modified and then included. There's probably room for 1-2 more seasons if they chose to make them.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2023-05-15 at 05:07 PM.