New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Veil of Smog, Chapter 1

Sarah hands the man the disc. “I came here earlier and requested some security footage of an incident that I observed. I was instead given this footage from several days ago.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Sarah hands the man the disc. “I came here earlier and requested some security footage of an incident that I observed. I was instead given this footage from several days ago.”
    "I see. Can I see that card again? For the paperwork on my end. Yeah, lines up with the log. Now, what time and which location did you need the camera footage for? Right. One minute. Can I send it to an email? I'm out of blank CDs at the moment. Speaking of, I'm just going to wipe this one. You were authorized to receive some footage, so getting this one is a minor incident at most. Still, I do need to remand it. You have no other copies?"

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Seemingly pleased with what he had found, Rufus pulled at the door handle as hard as he could.
    The door swings open with a sharp snap. The smells of stale beer and decaying food waft out. Stepping in, you nearly walk into a stack of pizza boxes as tall as you, teetering precariously out of the doorway to the kitchenette. The living room to your right is a maze of bottle and can piles. Clouds of fruit flies condensate above the glass and aluminum mountains, occasionally raining down a fly descending to feed. The TV silently flickers a soap commercial at the cobweb-strewn rear wall. The apartment's occupant is nowhere to be seen.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

“Nope,” she lies. Lowering her voice, she adds “Although, I did notice an incident on that disc that was concerning while watching it initially.” She looks around the room and pushes the door closed. “Have you noticed anything unusual going on at this hospital, sir? Or been requested to do anything that you thought was against protocol?”

Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis1618 View Post
    The door swings open with a sharp snap. The smells of stale beer and decaying food waft out. Stepping in, you nearly walk into a stack of pizza boxes as tall as you, teetering precariously out of the doorway to the kitchenette. The living room to your right is a maze of bottle and can piles. Clouds of fruit flies condensate above the glass and aluminum mountains, occasionally raining down a fly descending to feed. The TV silently flickers a soap commercial at the cobweb-strewn rear wall. The apartment's occupant is nowhere to be seen.
    Leif, having a thought about establishing a timeline, tries the remote to see if the TV will pause. Depending on the TV, it might say how long it’s been playing.
    "How long has it been since you last saw the tenant?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

“Have you noticed anything unusual going on at this hospital, sir? Or been requested to do anything that you thought was against protocol?”
    "No, no requests of the sort. A few more of my people than usual have been slipping up, but I suspect that's just because we've had a recent round of hiring. Speaking of, we're still hiring, if you know anyone interested? We'll pay you through training."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Leif, having a thought about establishing a timeline, tries the remote to see if the TV will pause. Depending on the TV, it might say how long it’s been playing.
    "How long has it been since you last saw the tenant?"
    The TV is live. It seems to be some cable channel showing a game show rerun, per the guide.

"He turned in his last rent check at the beginning of the month. Guy keeps to himself, otherwise. If he had friends, he might have generated a noise complaint once in a while."

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

"No, no requests of the sort. A few more of my people than usual have been slipping up, but I suspect that's just because we've had a recent round of hiring. Speaking of, we're still hiring, if you know anyone interested? We'll pay you through training."
    The bureaucrat raises an eyebrow. "You say 'Slipping up.' In what ways? And whom?" Her eyes drift to the monitor(s) in the room. Was there anything interesting happening on-screen?

Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The bureaucrat raises an eyebrow. "You say 'Slipping up.' In what ways? And whom?" Her eyes drift to the monitor(s) in the room. Was there anything interesting happening on-screen?
    "You know, rookie mistakes. Forgetting to sign off a check they actually did, using the wrong code, doors not locking properly. Basic things everyone messes up once in a while, especially when they're new."

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

“Uh huh… Humor me for a second. I want to show you something on the video I was given.” Her eyes glance up to the air vents in the room every few seconds, just in case. “It looked like more than just rookie mistakes.”

Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Leif checks out the guide to see what’s circled for this channel. It would be fair to assume that the time of disappearance was after one of the circled shows’ start.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

12. - Top - End - #432
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

“Uh huh… Humor me for a second. I want to show you something on the video I was given.” Her eyes glance up to the air vents in the room every few seconds, just in case. “It looked like more than just rookie mistakes.”
    He watches the recording impassively. "Looks to me like the nurse saw a bed, and tiredness won. What's your point?"

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

The government worker raises an eyebrow. “How long have workers been falling asleep on the job like that? And are workers being allotted the appropriate amount of time between shifts?”

Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Rufus looked around, seemingly inspecting the apartment but actually using his glasses to look through the walls into the apartments above, below and next to the one they were in. Perhaps there was some entirely mundane reason for Mark Jameson not being home, but if it was connected to their mission, he might not be the only one.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The government worker raises an eyebrow. “How long have workers been falling asleep on the job like that? And are workers being allotted the appropriate amount of time between shifts?”
    "Everyone's offered overtime as standard, but nobody has been forced to take it. They're still held to the rolling work limits as required. We're short at the moment. Half our guards transferred to other facilities."

16. - Top - End - #436
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Rufus looked around, seemingly inspecting the apartment but actually using his glasses to look through the walls into the apartments above, below and next to the one they were in. Perhaps there was some entirely mundane reason for Mark Jameson not being home, but if it was connected to their mission, he might not be the only one.
    There is no visible magical signature on the walls or air vents, but there seems to be a fog hanging heavy in the air. It occludes the magical x-ray vision effect, leaving only silhouettes and vague shapes visible. However, opening the bedroom door you quickly find Jameson. First the smell of evacuated bowels washes over you, underwritten with something more discomforting. The magical fog grows heavier too. In the tiny bathroom off the bedroom, you find Jameson himself flopped on the tile floor. He is morbidly obese, and morbidly pale. His shaved head still glistens with sweat. The smell of morbidity claws at your sinuses. You can see unidentifiable fluid running in the grout of the tiles, long since solidified. His chest seems oddly convex, as if his ribcage buckled from the inside.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

She nods. "Interesting. Any particular reason? I'm not very familiar with hospital work, but this all sounds... well, way more ramshackle than I would have expected."

Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

She nods. "Interesting. Any particular reason? I'm not very familiar with hospital work, but this all sounds... well, way more ramshackle than I would have expected."
    "We're an independent security contractor. Bracken provides services to many facilities in Washington and parts of Oregon. The hospital can give marching orders, of course, but otherwise has minimal involvement."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

“Thank you. Anyways, it should be about 1pm earlier today. I’ll need the hour before and the hour after for the sleep clinic, including the observation room and any other associated rooms,” she says with forced politeness. Oh great, an independent contractor. The word was new but the practice was old. Whether it was numeri in Noviomagus Trevirorum or G4S workers in London, the most useless people to run into were always the guys who weren’t from the area, didn’t want to be there, and nevertheless had exactly the wrong amount of power for their job.

Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh dear", Rufus mumbled, discreetly creating a heavily perfumed handkerchief and holding it up to his face, hopefully masking at least some of the smell. After walking over to the body, Rufus knelt next to it, with some effort – even if he was practically underfed compared to Jameson.

Turning his head towards caretaker, he said: "We have to notify the authorities and check for possible contagions, perhaps it would be best if you waited in your office?" He paused, trying to find a good argument. "It is important to show that you are in charge and in control of the situation in times of crisis, wouldn't you say?"

Mostly as a formality, he felt for a pulse or any other sign that Jameson was alive.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Leif paled and tried not to breathe through his nose as he rushed into the room with the body. He looked for any blood, any sign of foul play, though he decided not to touch the body.
    Since that was a great way to get his DNA all over it.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Leif paled and tried not to breathe through his nose as he rushed into the room with the body. He looked for any blood, any sign of foul play, though he decided not to touch the body.
    Since that was a great way to get his DNA all over it.
    The room is in disarray, but in the way neglect tends to create. Nothing seems recently broken, tossed about, or otherwise indicative of violence or foul play.

The caretaker says "I've got to write him off the lease anyway. And write up an incident report. You'll call the cops when you're done? Also, this card good for contact info?"

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

“Thank you. Anyways, it should be about 1pm earlier today. I’ll need the hour before and the hour after for the sleep clinic, including the observation room and any other associated rooms,”
    "The observation room doesn't have coverage. I can get you the hallway outside the room this other recording came from. One second..."

He pulls up the recording you showed him again, and checks the camera ID. "I'll wipe this recording and copy the ones you need onto the disk, ok?"
    Last edited by Charybdis1618; 2023-11-08 at 11:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

The room is in disarray, but in the way neglect tends to create. Nothing seems recently broken, tossed about, or otherwise indicative of violence or foul play.

The caretaker says "I've got to write him off the lease anyway. And write up an incident report. You'll call the cops when you're done? Also, this card good for contact info?"
    Leif nodded, happy to hear that the caretaker was leaving. The next thing he was searching for was the sand from the hospital room.
    "Let's see if our little sandman is upgrading to boogeyman..."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

"The observation room doesn't have coverage. I can get you the hallway outside the room this other recording came from. One second..."

He pulls up the recording you showed him again, and checks the camera ID. "I'll wipe this recording and copy the ones you need onto the disk, ok?"
    “That will be fine. Can I see the segment you’ll be putting on first? Not the whole thing? Just enough to know you’ll get the right time.”

Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, yes. We will contact the proper authorities", Rufus said, gesturing in a half-reassuring, half-dismissive fashion towards the caretaker. Looking at the body, Rufus wondered whether they should actually call the police to handle to body if nothing else, or if it would be better if it just... disappeared.

After using his cane to pull himself back to his feet, Rufus stepped closer to Leif and lowered his voice, in case the caretaker was still in hearing range. "There is something in the air, I can't get a good look at the other apartments. I don't know if our dearly departed here is the only one."

27. - Top - End - #447
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

“That will be fine. Can I see the segment you’ll be putting on first? Not the whole thing? Just enough to know you’ll get the right time.”
    "Oh, sure. Here, pull up that chair over there."

The insulated room camera shows you and Rufus entering the room, talking with Jeremy for a bit, then him falling asleep suddenly. Both of you also sway on your feet a bit, and walk more slowly out of the room. The hallway camera shows Dr. Kohler going in the observation room briefly once you began talking to Jeremy, but leaving again a moment later. He does so again towards the end of the hour's window of footage. Otherwise, a few people pass the door of the room, but none of them stop to listen or attempt to enter.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Leif nodded, happy to hear that the caretaker was leaving. The next thing he was searching for was the sand from the hospital room.
    "Let's see if our little sandman is upgrading to boogeyman..."
    The room itself is devoid of the remains of the particulate sand that you remember from the hospital. However, looking into Jameson's mouth you see some sort of translucent powder has caked into a slurry from the moisture of the orifice.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

“Thank you. That’s the right segment. An hour before and after it and I can be out of your hair.”

Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

“Thank you. That’s the right segment. An hour before and after it and I can be out of your hair.”
    He raises an eyebrow.

"You were approved for the other footage, so clearly you're authorized to have this. I'm copying it now. That said, why? Nothing here looks suspicious or out of the ordinary."