New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Veil of Smog, Chapter 1

The more perceptive among you see Loukas' eyes widen, and his mouth form the words "Oh, no, not again." He quickly composes himself, though, and smiles warmly as hr extends a hand.

"Welcome! You can call me Loukas. Thank you for joining us. Please, eat, drink and be merry. Or, at least the first two. How may I address you?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Also, sorry Midnight, should have given the description for Rufus when he entered. Assume you got this at the appropriate time.

An entire workshop's worth of tools, resources, and experience is folded tightly inside Rufus's skull. You see the calluses upon his hands limned with tiny sparks, and can see echoes of various substances splashed and spilled upon them. As you try to meet his gaze, his glasses catch your attention every time. They do, indeed, let him see clearly, but far more so than any mundane lenses ever could. His cane looks like a workshop rolled tight into a cylinder. It is the baton with which he conducts an orchestra of substance and material, weaving properties in and out of each other.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Leif puts a hand on Loukas's back in a way that he hopes is calming, but the true purpose is to get into a position to restrain Loukas if necessary.
    "What do you mean, not again?" Leif asks, his hands also worn and callused from use.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Oh, I've seen that artifact about before, that's all. It has a way of finding new bearers."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis1618 View Post
    The more perceptive among you see Loukas' eyes widen, and his mouth form the words "Oh, no, not again." He quickly composes himself, though, and smiles warmly as hr extends a hand.

"Welcome! You can call me Loukas. Thank you for joining us. Please, eat, drink and be merry. Or, at least the first two. How may I address you?"
    “Men call me… the Shroud” she says with a dramatic rumble in her voice, taking his hand and giving a quick, firm shake.

She sits and takes a glass of the lemonade and puts a straw under her mask.

“It does” she says to the latter remark. “We should speak of it more…”

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"Are we talking a Sauron's ring situation?" Leif asks, looking distrustful of this "the shroud."
    Everyone else used actual names.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Usually no ambitions of world conquest. I am hoping that still applies. The thing is not sentient in the strictest sense, but it does have a way of shaping its wearer. Are you the one who showed up in the National Enquirer a few months ago, cutting a gangster's uzi apart?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "Are we talking a Sauron's ring situation?" Leif asks, looking distrustful of this "the shroud."
    Everyone else used actual names.
    "Usually no ambitions of world conquest. I am hoping that still applies. The thing is not sentient in the strictest sense, but it does have a way of shaping its wearer. Are you the one who showed up in the National Enquirer a few months ago, cutting a gangster's uzi apart?"
    “It was the industrial grinder that cut up the Uzi, I just pushed it in there. Instead of his head.”

She turns her gaze towards Lief. Is it just cheesecloth in those blank white eyeholes or something more? “Some supernatural people… and *things* are tied up with organized crime. The cops don’t see it or even want to think about it. I’m doing what needs to be done about it. That’s why the mask.”

Another sip on the straw and she looks around the table. “I’ll give this much. This…” She touches the loose bottom of the black cloth “Let’s me see through monsters’ disguises. And yes, I know that sounds like literal insanity, but no one here is perfectly normal, are they?” That comes off as an earnest question, not a challenge.

“And I’m not the first. Think about that masked man with the silver bullets in the old west.”

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Monsters tied up in crime… You don’t even know the half of it. Sarah chuckles. “Kid, if you could tell me about something supernatural that you’ve seen that surprises me then I would be genuinely impressed. But you are right that everyone here radiates some kind of magic, be it innate or in artifacts.” She turns to Loukas. “And if our host could explain what we are doing this establishment at all, I think everyone would be appreciative.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed", Rufus agreed. "I'd say time is money, but when you can create gold out of garbage, that starts to feel like an understatement." He absentmindedly tapped the floor with his cane, briefly considered turning it to gold to underscore his point, but the idea of making the floor suddenly both heavier and softer seemed architecturally unwise. "Not that I mind some good food and... interesting company, but I'd rather know why I'm having the pleasure."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Give me enough time to refill my cup, and I shall explain as best I can."

(Yume, you're up.)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

When Midnight looks at Shroud, she sees the reason for the synecdoche. It looks as though the Shroud itself is the visor in some sci-fi style helmet, which connects flush with the body armor covering the rest of the body. The armor is smooth, far too featureless to be any modern manufacturing, and translucent. Peering a bit closer, she can see a data readout projected on the inside of the visor, feeding information, tactical data, and aim assistance to the wearer. Through the chest piece, and through the also translucent torso, she can see a small purple starburst in the heart. Trails of the purple phosphorescence run from the starburst up to the helmet and out to the limbs, evidently just barely powerful enough to keep everything functioning.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Yume Tsukiyomi
    Kitsune Shrine Maiden
    Conditions: None
    Yume debates between showing up in street cloths or her shrine robes. The robes tend to draw attention as they are very much out of place in Seattle. In the end she decides to wear wear the enchanted robes in case this is some sort of trap along with a modern looking Haori to look slightly less conspicuous and to help hide Nyoiyari, her weapon, that she tucks into the back of her hakama belt.

She returns to the The Smoking Pit taking a slightly different route then last time then dropping invisibility and slipping on her sandals behind some trees near the restaurant.

Entering the establishment with a bow to the proprietor she holds out the note with both hands and speaks with a thick Japanese accent.
    "Hello, I have invitation."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Loukas puts down his cup and turns towards the door.

"Welcome! With your presence, our group is complete. May I offer you some food? Also, how may I address you?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Yume Tsukiyomi
    Kitsune Shrine Maiden
    Bowing again "Tsukiyomi Yume..." She stops remembering that here they put the given name first "eto ... I mean Yume Tsukiyomi, at your service. Some lunch would be nice."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Leif squints up at Yume.
    "Are those cat ears or part of your hair?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Yume Tsukiyomi
    Kitsune Shrine Maiden
    "Cat ears?" She reaches up and checks the top of her head and any trace of animal ears disappear. She pulls her hair aside to show that she doesn't have animal ears. "No I have normal human ears."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Sarah’s expression immediately sours when the definitely-a-human walks in. “What is that thing doing here?” Her grip on the bow tightens as she glares daggers at the newest arrival.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2023-05-31 at 11:15 PM.

Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"She's about as human as Lief. Mortality's a rather big part of being mortal. Now stand down, all of you. Sit with us, and eat. You are all wondering why you have been called here, I assume."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"I... resent the implication that I'm not a human. And I still age. Also... I am perfectly ordinary." That last part wasn't very convincing.
    I mean, I MUST still be able to die of old age, or why would she bother getting passed from one generation to the next?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"None of us would be here, now, in this room, were we truly normal. We each have seen the unnatural side of the world, amd we have each found our place among it. We each have our unique gifts, and we will each need them in the coming days. The Fates have shown me an upcoming disaster. The city of Seattle, and possibly areas beyond it after, will soon face a major threat. There are some in this city who can see it, and a few of those who might be able to fight, but none of them will prevail. If I weave a five-stranded braid of mixed fibers, it may anchor the city in the upcoming storm. So, I sent my spirits forward to find me the strands. They brought me you five."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

The look doesn’t leave Sarah’s face. “He’s human, just cursed by a spirit. That is a far cry from…” she looks Yumi over quickly again, “a kitsune witch. Different beast entirely. I indeed do know my place in the world, and it’s on the other side of a blade or arrow from things like that.

The woman pinches the bridge of her nose and thinks. “Fine. If it’s what the Weavers of Fate have chosen, far be it from me to stray from their designs. So what disaster approaches?”

Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Jiminy's head popped out of the doctor's bag. "Hey, I resent 'thing' being used as an insult. Some of us are perfectly happy being things, you..." A glare from Rufus silenced the homunculus, who grumbled and disappeared back into the bag.

After eyeing the bag for a few seconds, Rufus took a seat and started helping himself to the food. "I'm not much for fate, I hope you have something more solid than vaguely threatening metaphors?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

The Shroud's face is completely covered yet somehow gives the impression that she's lifting an eyebrow at Sarah's outburst. Certainly she'd heard that sort of thing before, but with ethnic or tribal issues instead of supernatural ones.

There's a lot of strong personalities here though, and, it seems, no time for an argument.

"Yes, what's the mission? Is this a literal disaster or a figurative one?" she asks.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

"We each have our unique gifts."
    "That's where you're wrong, Loukas. I don't have a gift." He nods to Sarah when she calls him cursed. "She's right... about the curse thing specifically, though I like to keep. it private. The idea that... my curse could help someone? It's... no, I don't think you got the right guy."
    He looks pointedly at Sarah. "However. I will not be allowing anyone here to get hurt."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-05-30 at 08:58 AM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Name it what you will, but it does set you apart from the mundane, and it does give you unique capabilities. My own gifts drive me insane at times, but I harness them nonetheless. Also, please take any fighting outside. The owners will be angry with me if the place gets damaged."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "That's where you're wrong, Loukas. I don't have a gift." He nods to Sarah when she calls him cursed. "She's right... about the curse thing specifically, though I like to keep. it private. The idea that... my curse could help someone? It's... no, I don't think you got the right guy."
    He looks pointedly at Sarah. "However. I will not be allowing anyone here to get hurt."
    “Being unkillable is an extremely rare and valuable ability, sourced from a curse or otherwise. It could definitely be used in saving lives.” She doesn’t seem to mind the low level threat, though she does note it.
    "Name it what you will, but it does set you apart from the mundane, and it does give you unique capabilities. My own gifts drive me insane at times, but I harness them nonetheless. Also, please take any fighting outside. The owners will be angry with me if the place gets damaged."
    “I’ll forego fighting at least until this job is finished. As I said, far be it from me to deny the Weavers of Fate. But what is this disaster that you brought us here to prevent?”

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Yume Tsukiyomi
    Kitsune Shrine Maiden
    "Witch?" Yume has to spend a few moments looking up the translation on her phone.
    "No, I am not witch. I am a Miko, a priestess."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

She shrugs. “Most miko,” she says, gesturing to the fox girl, “don’t perform the kind of magic you’re capable of. Hence - witch. Or maybe you prefer 妖術者. Most people translate witch as 魔女, which doesn’t have the right connotation for something like you.”
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2023-05-31 at 09:52 AM.

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Having learned a long time ago not to get involved in other people's arguments and occasionally managing to stick to it, Rufus focused on the food in front of him, while keeping his ears open and his cane within reach.

"Did Mister Mysterious say he is insane?" Jiminy said, now from under the table.

Rufus took a few seconds to swallow his food. "Technically, I believe he said he is insane at times." He dabbed his mouth with a napkin. "I suppose time will tell whether this is one of those times."