New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Help with melee cohort?

So our group has no devoted front line. I know we can use summons, but I am thinking leadership for my cloistered cleric/ warlock/ eldritch disciple. The one house rule my dm enforces is leadership has to have a strong role playing tie to the character that takes it. That follower has to have a reason to be devoted to the main character other than it’s a feet I took. That being said, I want a build that is easy to run and fits the antihero vibe I like to play.

I have very little experience with melee outside of melee cleric and psychic warrior. I see where hexblade can fit my character concept very well, but do they make a strong front line fighter that’s easy to run?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Help with melee cohort?

My suggestion for a strong frontline with simple combat rules is...

Barbarian 1/Fighter X

Barbarian trades fast movement for Pounce (can full attack after charge) and trades Rage for Whirling Frenzy (extra attack each turn)
    Fighter is for bonus feats

Suggested Fighter feats - Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization and Power Attack. I'd take Extra Rage as a regular feat, just to get the effects of Whirling Frenzy regularly.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    My suggestion for a strong frontline with simple combat rules is...

Barbarian 1/Fighter X

Barbarian trades fast movement for Pounce (can full attack after charge) and trades Rage for Whirling Frenzy (extra attack each turn)
    Fighter is for bonus feats

Suggested Fighter feats - Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization and Power Attack. I'd take Extra Rage as a regular feat, just to get the effects of Whirling Frenzy regularly.
    This is a good build and everything, but if it's the only melee character in the party, I think you want something that can protect the other characters than something that jumps in with +yes damage and kills stuff. I'd probably use a reach weapon with combat reflexes and improved trip. Basically you convert your AoOs into trip attempts, so anyone that passes through the characters threatened area will be knocked prone. The Horizon Tripper is core only if you don't want to go crazy, but you can look outside of core for magic items and feats that further increase the characters reach.

If you're an antihero and a caster animate dead is on the table as well.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Lawful Neutral Warforged who, for one reason or another, is devoted to you as their rajah/liege and trusts in your antihero ways unquestioningly.

1. Wildshape Ranger - Adamantine Body, Track
    2. Wildshape Ranger
    3. Wildshape Ranger - Weapon Focus (falchion), Endurance
    4. Wildshape Ranger - Alertness (from your Urban Companion), Combat Expertise (from Champion of the Wild ACF)
    5. Wildshape Ranger
    6. Maquar Crusader - Power Attack, Greater Weapon Focus (falchion)

7+ Enter into Master of Many Forms for 7 levels, then Warforged Juggernaut. Fit in Steadfast Determination if you can.

Maquar Crusader is fun for having one of the most effective tank mechanics in the game:

Harm's Way (Ex): A Maquar crusader can elect to place himself in the path of danger to protect a single ally, called his charge. Anytime the crusader is within 5 feet of his charge, and the charge is subject to an attack, the crusader can elect to switch places with her and take the attack in her place (the two physically switch spaces). The crusader must declare his intent to switch places with his charge before the attack roll is made. A charge can be selected as a free action when the crusader rolls initiative at the beginning of a combat and cannot be changed for the duration of that combat. The Maquar crusader can only use this ability if his charge is one size category larger than he is, or smaller.
    If that doesn't tickle your fancy, go for a straight-classed Knight with tripping-style feats probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

My suggestion would be to go for the Draconic Aura feats/class abilities and have your Shieldbearer get the aura that grants Fast Healing...the other auras are also pretty good support options as well...
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Wild Cohort provides a potentially more disposable form of henchman than leadership, so it may be complementary. As always, Wild Cohort[Fleshraker] + Venomfire is a scary melee monster although you'll be 3 levels behind a druid with AC[Fleshraker]. Nevertheless, it's fully compatible with multiclassing unlike a Druid's AC.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

How about a ghost savage progression 4 (with malevolence)/initiator class X that takes over the bodies of monsters to use as disposable meatsuits? Nigh impossible to kill, is attached to you because of its status as a ghost (must continue to serve loyally and can't pass on so long as you are alive animate and willing to accept its servitude), and can be WAY stronger than its base stats would otherwise indicate.

[Edit] Take maneuvers that do things other than damage, since the bodies that your minion can snatch can do that with high Str scores (and large reach). Maybe maneuverability maneuvers? The ability to bypass DR and hardness? Maybe the ability to attack multiple enemies at once? Alternatively, focus on utility and mobility forms and take damaging maneuvers.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2023-05-28 at 04:30 PM.